Code of Conduct

Default Black Amber by Agonist...thoughts?

What do you all think about this fragrance? I see it doesn't get much of a mention around here, but I got a sample from Trex last week and I thought I'd wear it today and I thought it was pretty darn good. I put it on this morning (9:30 a.m.) and I can still smell it wafting occasionally now (9:30 p.m.). It's pretty heavy on the incense, and I can't say I get much amber outside of in the very back to smooth things out, but it's definitely nice and I would wear it again in a heartbeat.

Also of note, I wore this outside during some pretty cold wind gusts today and it smelled heavenly out there. I imagine it smells better as the weather gets colder.

So, what are your thought on this? There are not a lot of reviews on site nor off-site from what I see. Perhaps it's the price that does it, or that people like Amouage stuff better (Memoir Man comes to mind), but the regular non-fancy looking bottle goes for $165 USD for 50mL from what I can tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Black Amber by Agonist...thoughts?

You have good taste. The longevity is quite something isn't. You're right, its a perfect cold-weather scent. The price point is quite high, this mayhave stopped folks from getting a sample. You can only get samples from ALZD which may have stopped people too.

Anyway enjoy.

Rex
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

A sweetish incense-centered concoction which I find both interesting and disappointing at the same time.

Pros: The quality of the incense is great. More leaning towards the one in L'Eau Trois and Messe De Minuit than to, say, Avignon or Preludio D'Oriente. Botloads of other resins and woods such as styrax, cypriol, cedarwood and sandalwood enhance the dry character while vanilla provides a sweetish facet to slightly smooth the fragrance.

Cons: Not as potent as I expected, somewhat short-lived and a tad too linear...The seaweed note in the opening is meh. Fortunately it recedes very quickly...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

yeah, it gets a thumbs up from me.....

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    You have good taste. The longevity is quite something isn't. You're right, its a perfect cold-weather scent. The price point is quite high, this mayhave stopped folks from getting a sample. You can only get samples from ALZD which may have stopped people too.

Anyway enjoy.

Rex
    Yeah, the longevity is very good. I could still smell it on my shirt when I checked after waking up this morning and rummaging through my laundry bin. I've tried other incense fragrances, but so far this is my favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

I see it's offered at Luckyscents now. Is it mostly an incense fragrance or Amber? Lastly, is it a smooth amber like 180 ans or rough like Ambre Russe?
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Jkidd View Post
    I see it's offered at Luckyscents now. Is it mostly an incense fragrance or Amber? Lastly, is it a smooth amber like 180 ans or rough like Ambre Russe?
    To be honest I'm not the best nose (yet), but I get next to no amber, as it really serves to just round out the fragrance. It's more of an incense fragrance than anything, but it has that *something* that makes it interesting to me. Maybe it's the seaweed since I've grown up close to the water all my life.

Tried a sample which I specifically asked for and received with a recent purchase at Luckyscent. Personally didn't care much for it.