Code of Conduct

Default How to know if someone has a "gift" for scents, fragrances?

Hi, i m totally new to this forum.
    Since 20 years I use and like perfumes a lot. I do have my favorites, my not so favorites and of course the NoGo's.

I can easily recognize certain fragrances (male and female) just smelling them shortly when people pass by or someone left an elevator, etc.

I m just curious if there is a way that i can put this (If I may call it so) 'ability' to a test. It is nothing incredible but my wife and friends sometimes are like "What? how can you tell?"

Thanks in advance and whether I have ability or not I would continue using perfumes every day of my life until end of it :-)

Carlos

Default Re: How to know if someone has a "gift" for scents, fragrances?

Hi, Carlos! Welcome!

It could be that you have a sensitive nose, or maybe because you are a fragrance lover you just notice more, pay more attention than others. I don't know how you would test whether or not you have a giftedness in this area. Just wanted to say hello.

Welcome! I think you are lucky and believe it is sort of a gift - one which I don't have.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Some persons are lucky that way. I can only recognize a few when people pass by me. But I am more than happy at knowing and enjoying the fragrance that I am wearing.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

consider yourself lucky, but you have thousands to sample to memorize.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

A "gift" is only a gift if you embrace it, focus it, train it, exercise it, use it. It matters not at all what others may think.

If you feel you have a particular ability and you have decided you want to employ that ability in some sort of formal way, then do so. Get educated. Or start exploring and educate yourself. Put it to use. Pursue opportunities. But what ever you do, don't sit around and wait for people to declare your nose special. That will never happen in a meaningful way. You just have to jump in and see how far that ability will take you.

Good gracious, look at Madonna. No one could have heard that voice back in the 80's and thought that she had a special vocal ability. But it certainly didn't stop her. Still going strong. And then there is Whitney Houston, who had an undeniably special voice that, by the end, was a husky, unkempt shadow of its former self. Your "abilities" are what you make of them. No test or objective confirmation will change that or guarantee your success.

Only you can decide whether your nose is "special enough" or not.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Considering there are thousands of smell-alike fragrances sharing similar structures, common ingredients and synthetics, I dare say the ability to identify one fragrance from smell alone is a power befitting a member of the X-Men, albeit a pretty useless one lol. I doubt if Professor Charles Xavier would grant direct admission.

Banned

I am quite sure to what utility your heightened sense of smell can be applied profitably.

&

I guess, it's highly intuitive and/or subjective, I hardly know anyone outside the industry to have a particular professional, specialized, academically trained/honed skill for fragrance, yet I know quite a few people with a quite impressive curiosity, sensibility, interest, keenness for fragrance.