Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012 *** SPICY!

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010, Jan. 2011, Jan. 2012
    Animalic Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010, Feb. 2011, Feb. 2012
    Chypre March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010, March 2011, March 2012
    Floral April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010, April 2011, April 2012
    Fruity May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010, May 2011, May 2012
    Citrus June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010, June 2011, June 2012
    Green July 2008, July 2009, July 2010, July 2011, July 2012
    Fresh Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010, Aug. 2011, Aug. 2012
    Fougere Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009, Sept. 2010, Sept. 2011, Sept. 2012
    Ambery Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009, Oct. 2010, Oct. 2011, Oct. 2012
    Spicy Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010, Nov. 2011
    Gourmand Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009, Dec. 2010, Dec. 2011
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012 *** SPICY!

See you there. The month flew by! Don't forget to turn the clocks back an hour on Saturday night. I love November.

heart of ice

Oooh I almost forgot! October just flew by ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Oops, l totally forgot, & l've just dabbed on some Chypre Rouge that l'm testing today. Not sure that qualifies, although it does smell a little spicy to me.

l don't have many spicy scents in my wardrobe, but l'm sure there's something in my latest batch of samples that l can try. l'll see what l can do later, or tomorrow...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Velvet Orchid by Tom Ford

My sotd for sns is Saaliiisssiimo by Hilde Soliani. Was based on a dish that was comprised of licorice, spicy saffron and rice. I do love licorice but I am not sure if I like it with saffron! At least in this scent. Spicy licorice with a bit of a powdery dry down. I would guess vanilla is in this and perhaps another spice. Pretty gourmand but in a plastic-y way, if that makes sense! lol. I don't even know what a rice note smells like! But I can't say I get it in this. Not sure. A musk note comes out at the end of this. I don't get rice but I get a big musk note! These specific notes together just don't do it for me. Too bad cause I do like licorice and saffron..just not together maybe! I do like my sweet fumes but this one is sweet in a bad way! Won't be thinking about a fb. Musky dry down and combo of notes makes it a scrubber.
    Last edited by kalli; 3rd November 2012 at 11:43 AM.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Vintage Opium edt.
    I'm on the Kindle so keystroking's a bugger. Will enter more by Monday.
    Let's hear from all you spice girls.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Maybe I'll join you in a dab of Opium today, Quarry. Or maybe I'll sample Vitriol d'Oeillet (sp?) again. That one really captured my imagination the other day. I haven't gotten around to SotD yet. I've been taking down Halloween. And I watched an episode of This Old House on tv with B-belle. They were planting palms at this woman's house in Miami. Maybe I will wear L'air du Temps, that has a bit of spicy carnation. I just can't decide right now! I'll be back.

Wearing Parfumerie Generale Querelle today. Notes are citrus, Iranian black caraway, myrrh, cinnamon, Haitian vetiver, incense, oakmoss and ambergris. It starts with a blast of citrus, but it doesn't last long and the caraway takes over. Caraway to me has a peppery and slightly smoky smell. It's quite strong for a few minutes and then settles down to a combination of myrrh and incense. I would have liked the cinnamon note to be a bit stronger. It takes a while to smell the vetiver but it's definitely in there, but can't smell the ambergris at all, not even at the very end. It's a spicy and slightly dark (at times) scent. Definitely unisex, but leaning to the masculine side. It's a very interesting scent and I plan to try it a few more times to see if my initial impressions hold true.

I don't have too many spices. I'm planning to wear Eau d'Hermes then, which to my nose is a cumin bomb.

cacio

Well, I'm wearing M.Micallef STYLE today. It has a lot of hot cinnamon, nutmeg and coriander. Really rich and warming blend of spices. The scent doesn't exactly bring the feeling but it sometimes brings the feeling of mulled wine.

Ok, I finally went with 1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums. It is really potent and masculine and spicy, and cozy on this chilly breezy sunny day.

From their site...

fougere amber

Top Note: Bergamot, Citrus, Grapefruit, Licorice
    Heart Note: Lavender, Star Anise
    Base Note: Vanilla, Almond, Sandalwood, Cedar, Amber

These HdP fragrances are very good. Thanks to the BNer who sent me a sample selection! You know who you are! xoxoxo

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Ok, I finally went with 1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums. It is really potent and masculine and spicy, and cozy on this chilly breezy sunny day.

From their site...

fougere amber

Top Note: Bergamot, Citrus, Grapefruit, Licorice
    Heart Note: Lavender, Star Anise
    Base Note: Vanilla, Almond, Sandalwood, Cedar, Amber

These HdP fragrances are very good. Thanks to the BNer who sent me a sample selection! You know who you are! xoxoxo
    I love histoires de parfums 1725!

Basenotes Plus

I went with Frederic Malle Noir Epices. Bone dry, uncompromising spices, dark and sober.

Notes include orange, geranium, rose, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, pepper, patchouli, cedarwood, sandalwood.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: SummerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Blog Entries

Finally joining in today, l'm wearing Hermessence Ambre Narguile on one arm, & ELd'O's Like This on the other.
    With the former having a prominent cinnamon note & the latter having ginger, l am in sweet-spicy-gourmand heaven!
    l highly recommend this cosy, comforting combination for a crisp & cold autumn day.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Velvet Orchid by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    I love histoires de parfums 1725!
    Me too, and I'll bet it smells wonderful on you, L.!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Me too, and I'll bet it smells wonderful on you, L.!
    Thanks sweetie! I'm halfway through my decant. Got to start thinking of getting more of this wonderful juice

heart of ice

I didn't partake in the spiciness yesterday, but today I'm wearing FM Noir Espices today to make up for it. Like Terry said, it is bone dry with a dark, somber spiciness ... yet there is something coolly elegant about it.
    I've trademarked the color bleu