Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sample Of The Day: NOVEMBER 2012

Freddie, please do not apologise for not sending me a bigger vial, you know how much l appreciate the goodies you send my way! And l have a confession to make; l wore Sables to work yesterday, & in that environment it just smelled wrong, like an old toffee found down the back of a sofa! Whereas at home it just feels nicely comforting & cosy after coming in from the cold. So l can probably make the vial last quite a while!

l would love to hear your thoughts on Ayala's fragrances if you try any of them!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Freddie, please do not apologise for not sending me a bigger vial, you know how much l appreciate the goodies you send my way! And l have a confession to make; l wore Sables to work yesterday, & in that environment it just smelled wrong, like an old toffee found down the back of a sofa! Whereas at home it just feels nicely comforting & cosy after coming in from the cold. So l can probably make the vial last quite a while!

l would love to hear your thoughts on Ayala's fragrances if you try any of them!
    Lol!!! It's a bizarre one ey. I find that on my skin, about one minute after spraying it literally vanishes up close, but I can smell it all around me, this happens throughout it's development, really wierd.
    I just emailed Ayala - her line is overwhelming and she has a great consultation form on her site which I used to get recommended some stuff Thanks for the heads up teardrop!

Blog Entries

You're welcome, glad to be the one enabling you for a change!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Finally sampled Aftelier's new Wild Roses today
    Completelyyyyy different to what I expected, but I know I'll grow to love it, it's thoroughly enjoyable and hugely complicated whilst remaining light and beautiful on the skin - can't help but think it was released the wrong time of the year, but it's warm and spicy enough to be good in the Winter. My review is far too long so I'll post the link as usual here
    Keep sampling people! x

Blog Entries

A special treat today. Jean Patou Lasso! An almost medicinal note to begin, fleeting. Then a spicy floral, carnation? Develops into a slightly powdery floral leather. The flowers? Rose, carnation, heliotrope perhaps? This was a surprise. I wouldn't be attratcted to a fragrance BECAUSE it is vintage, and I don't like dense, stodgy, over complex fragrances, so this came as a pleasant surprise. It is soft and very wearable. I would have liked it to have endured a bit longer. Sadly, just as the floral/leather symphony has developed, it falls away. I have no idea if it smells like it did when it was made decades ago (could be from the thirties or the fifties, not clear about that), but today it is a lovely, soft, floral leather. Thank You furrypine for your generous sharing of this rare fragrance.

Lovely write up Foustie - i'm not quite into the vintage thing either so was interesting to read your review This was a generous giveaway and I didn't think I'd be able to appreciate it enough so didn't wanna ask for a bit :P

My sample of the day was:

The Afternoon Of A Faun by Etat Libre D'Orange
    I actually have a little 10ml bottle of this but hadn't wrote about it yet (and haven't really worn it until now)

I really really like this - it opens with one of the best turkish delight (loukoum) accords I've smelt - pure turkish rose, iris (powder) and a hit of black and pink pepper - missing the cherry/almond notes that often make up this accord but destroy it's association for me as that reminds me more of nougat...
    It reminds me of Archives 69 more so as a metallic frankincense and myrrh comes into play - along with a leather accord. An immortelle buzzes along in the background quietly but never dominated, it has the sweet, spicy quality of it's usage in Like This - only a little more potent and dry rather than syrupy.
    The turkish delight resemblance does begin to disappear when the basenotes get more potent but it's still lovely, not gourmand as it's more floral - but super soft and light on the skin, and thoroughly enjoyable - a good release for the line with a beautiful name

Blog Entries

Today l tried... Tawaf!

Yep, it's "extreme jasmine" alright. Green, slightly sharp & metallic, loud & high-pitched in the opening, & indolic in the "magic marker" sense, rather than dirty or animalic. l get just a hint of narcissus, too. A couple of hours in, it smells to me like a deadringer for Jardenia, with its green, lightly peppery vibe. From here it doesn't really develop to my nose, but simply fades, & five hours in l'm still waiting for the opoponax to appear.
    l don't get any of the "mud" notes that l've read about in another thread, but l must admit that on the first try l am a little disappointed with this one. l so wanted to love it, but it doesn't have the dirty jasmine or the warm opoponax l was expecting. l will revisit it when the weather turns warmer next year, in the hope that it'll bloom for me then.

Thanks again freddie for letting me try this one!

Thanks for posting your thoughts teardrop!
    I totally get what you mean about the lack of opoponax - I don't really get it either. I love that harsh, astringent opening and your reference to Jardenia is spot on, I love the mushroom notes in this. It's when the rose comes in that Tawaf suddenly gives in to a subtle linear drydown - I find that a heavily applied full days wear though and I still catch the gorgeous "magic marker" jasmine (I love that term so much I'm gonna use that! haha) coming off my skin. It took a good weeks worth of solid wearing for me to thoroughly appreciate this as I too was a bit disappointed after it's wild opening to what it settled in to, I know consider it one of my favourite releases this year. I'm not sure why - I love natural ingredients these days so I guess that helps, but I adore the green herbaceous notes paired with the jasmine, and it's the first time I've really enjoyed jasmine grandiflorum compared to the sambac, I've always had an aversion to the note - especially after the horror of Jasmin et cigarette D:
    Again, thanks for the thoughts teardrop - I really appreciate you writing about the goodies! It means a lot.

Blog Entries

Today l tried Josef Statkus, the first from my latest batch of Luckyscent samples.

This opens with dark, spicy woods & incense, joined early on by a raw, slightly medicinal amber. lt slowly smooths out over the first hour into a woody amber, & changes very little as it dries down. The jasmine note is extremely subtle to my nose. lt has medium-good projection & good longevity, still going after eight hours.
    l was very excited to try this one, as the combination of incense, jasmine & amber sounded wonderful. So far, l like its feel of comfort with a hint of strength, & further wearings may well lead to love. lt's most definitely unisex, in fact l would love to smell this on a guy!

- - - Updated - - -

Today (Wed 21st) l tried two fragrances;

This morning, it was Costes by Hotel Costes.
    For a fleeting moment in the opening, this smells surprisingly green & floral to me, before the wood & spices come in. The most prominent spice is clove, transitioning to a peppered, dark rose with a layer of sandalwood beneath. The rose slowly recedes over the next four-five hours, leaving a smooth, sweetish & clean sandalwood base. The incense note is very subtle here, but the projection is big. Very nice.

This evening, post-shower, l tried 10 Corso Como.
    l have seen this one compared to Costes, but to my nose the two are quite different. l get a strong woody incense in the opening, but none of the rose. What l get instead is a note l can only compare to sweet pickle. l keep hoping it will go away, but once l notice it l cannot ignore it. l sense a rather friendly oudh underneath it, but the pickle note ruins this fragrance for me. Four hours in it hasn't changed at all. Thankfully the projection is fairly low, but how l wish l'd tested this one before my shower!
    Last edited by teardrop; 21st November 2012 at 08:38 PM.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=teardrop;2763870]

This morning, it was Costes by Hotel Costes.
    For a fleeting moment in the opening, this smells surprisingly green & floral to me, before the wood & spices come in. The most prominent spice is clove, transitioning to a peppered, dark rose with a layer of sandalwood beneath. The rose slowly recedes over the next four-five hours, leaving a smooth, sweetish & clean sandalwood base. The incense note is very subtle here, but the projection is big. Very nice. [QUOTE]

I really, really like the sound of this teardrop. Thanks for the lovely appraisal.

Blog Entries

You're welcome, Foustie!

Today l'm sampling Chergui by Serge Lutens.

l usually find the longevity & projection lacking in the Lutens fragrances that l've tried, & so l wasn't expecting much from this one. But what l've read about it made me want to try it, & l am pleasantly surprised!

The first impression l get in the opening is of sunny warmth & sweetness from the hay & cherry pipe tobacco. The sweetness is not at all cloying though, & there's something dark-green & woody in there to balance it out. ln the heart this fragrance becomes truly swoonworthy, as a smoky incense, rooty iris & a touch of honey come to the fore, & l can't stop sniffing my arm. Six hours in, it's dried down to a softly powdery, musky, leathery base not unlike Habanita EDT, & l'm sold.
    This is a deliciously comforting scent, perfect for a dark, gloomy, wet day like today. Finally, a Lutens l can really love!

- - - Updated - - -

Today (Thurs 29th) l tried Muscs Koublai Khan by Serge Lutens. l thought it was about time l tried this one, as l sampled Musc Ravageur a while back, & l've been enjoying a few animalic perfumes recently.

The opening is indeed a dirty, skanky musk, reminiscent of unwashed persons & untended public toilets. While l can see its animalic appeal, l'm thinking l could never wear this in public, & also that it might work well on my Kouros-wearing bf! Then, after a few minutes, it smooths out into a soft skin scent of animal fur with a faint, unidentifiable floral note, & a touch of clean musk. ln the heart there's a little saltiness, & a sweet puff of powder in the base. lt wears very close to the skin on me, & has faded to almost nothing after five hours.
    l don't dislike this, but l much prefer Musc Ravageur, finding it more complex & more on the feminine side. lt also totally outclasses MKK in longevity, lasting well over twelve hours on me.