Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Anyone else dislike vetiver?

The first exposure I ever had with Vetiver was Mona d'Orio's Vetyver. I LOVED it and bought a bottle. I wrongly thought that was what vetiver smelled like. Next I blind-bought Creed Original Vetiver, and hated it. I then tried Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle and hated that. Montale Vetiver de Sables also disliked...I slowly learned to isolate the vetiver note...and it is awful. Anyone else share my dislike?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Anyone else dislike vetiver?

Certainly not me. I like it in many different fragrances.

Creed OV, TDC Sel de Vetiver, MPG Route de Vetiver, LesNez Turtle Front, Heely Sel Marin, Chanel Sycamore, FM Vetiver Vetiver Extraordinaire, Atelier Cologne Vetiver Fatal, Guerlain Vetiver.

Honestly, it is a note that not everyone likes. I just happen to like it in many iterations.

I'm not keen on vetiver. Always interested to try anything new but not found a single vetiver based fragrance that I've enjoyed.

Blog Entries

I hear some describe it as dry grassy fields, but I don't get that...It smells like wet, starting to rot grass clippings to me. fermenting grass. I WISH it smelled like dry grassy fields.

Yes. I have tried a few vetiver-centered scents and have hated all of them except for Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. For some reason, I really enjoy that one...I've read that, despite the name, it's not very heavy on the vetiver, which might explain why I like it. I don't mind vetiver IN my frag...I just don't seem to care for the ones that center heavily on it.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

I'm fine with it, in all its manifestations.

Have you tried smelling the basic molecule, like vetiveril acetate or the like? (for instance, Molecule 03). That doesn't smell very rooty. But the materials derived from the plant have other notes as well. Perhaps you are hypersensitive to some aspect of the material.

cacio

Don't count me in as a hater, in fact, I'm quite a sucker for vetiver. Cacio's suggestion to smell the basic molecule may really help you to understand if you don't like vetiver in general or if you didn't simply like the fragrances you tried. Also, if you don't have access to aromachemical or essential oils, try some different types of vetiver. Sycomore is not similar to any of the fragrances you mentioned.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I am open to many fragrances and fragrance notes, but vetiver really rubs me the wrong way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Have you tried smelling the basic molecule, like vetiveril acetate or the like? (for instance, Molecule 03). That doesn't smell very rooty. But the materials derived from the plant have other notes as well. Perhaps you are hypersensitive to some aspect of the material.

cacio
    l tried Molecule 03 & absolutely loathed it. Like celery on steroids.

But if it's blended well with other notes & not too prominent, then fine.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I like it, never smelled just pure Vetiver or anything but I have a LOT of frags that have some vetiver in them.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Neither Creed OV nor Frederic Malle VE are vetiver scents, to my nose.
    It's akin to writing off musk scents because you've smelled Musc Ravageur. They're not true representations of what a note/accord can be.

If you want proper vetiver (and yes, ISO E) scents, go lower than just niche and check out:

Encre Noire
    Sycomore
    Guerlain Vetiver (not my cup of tea, but the most popular fresh vetiver)
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Dior Vetiver
    Terre d'Hermes

Heck, even the quiet Vetyverio from Diptyque aint too bad.
    Armani Vetiver Babylone wasn't too bad either.

Surely not me....unless it's Goutal's then I'll probably love it.

I USED to hate it - and now I'm slowly beginning to really enjoy it.
    The thing is, I don't like it when it is paired with citrus notes and is given the "fresh" treatment - I prefer it pungent and raw.
    Turtle Vetiver completely changed my mind on vetiver and Turtle Vetiver Front has been my first vetiver love.
    I recently have sampled Fumidus by Profumum - and I really like that too.
    Mona's was too refined and smooth for me - as ridiculous as that sounds, I also didn't like the five spice note - having said that, it's one of those bizarre fragrances that you don't like but really want to own :|

I used to not like it so much also, but now I find that I really quite like it. It has grown on me. I still don't have a vetiver-centric frag though, but that will change soon.

Vetiver scents are OK to me. Just depends on how it is blended with other notes. That determines the final product!

I am not too familiar with that note. However, I tried Sycomore and don't see myself buying a bottle. Too smoky/incense-y like. And has a musk dry down that doesn't interest me much.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

I don't write off a whole note b/c of several dislikes...but I see a pattern of dislike, Creed OV and the Malle Vetiver smell similar to my nose, and are awful. Like I said I LOVE MdO's Vetyver, but I'm told it doesn't smell much like vetiver. I have Sycomore in my wish to try list...

I am not a fan of vetiver either, but there are some scents with strong vetiver notes that I do enjoy, such as TdH, Allure Edition Blanche, and Dior Vetiver.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

I don't mind it in Terre d'Hermes, which is one of my overall favorites, but could easily see if it were amped up any more than that, I might have difficulty with it. I just haven't tested out too many vetiver-heavy frags at this point, I guess, to know for sure...

Banned

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Vetiver scents are OK to me. Just depends on how it is blended with other notes. That determines the final product!
    fully agree.
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

I Agree with the OP vetiver is not good as a main note in frags. Creed OV may not be a real vetiver scent but is just a scrubber to my nose for sure. However,because it is so bad smelling Creed OV may be turning people off from vetiver that otherwise would enjoy the note if they got a proper implementation. It was the first vetiver I tried and it ruined my whole day. I then got my nose on Timbuktu and it smelled much better, but still not my favorite note.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

Aside from some badly made low-end vetiver scents, no.

My favorite note!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Blog Entries

I keep saying I'm going to do this, but I need to buy some essential oils that are single note..Vetiver, Amber, etc. It isn't fair to dislike a "note" b/c several fragrances with the note in the name I dislike.

don't buy a single note amber "essential oil" as it doesn't exist. vetiver oil however exists, is cheap and wonderful by itself to boot.

Can any experts here state with any authority whether or not vetiver is often synthesized in fragrances, or is it common and cheap enough that most vetiver-based fragrances will have the actual essential oil? I'm fine with most vetiver frags (although not many are 'great' to me), but certain ones like Encre Noir just smell of sour wet compost to me. I'm fairly certain I'm in the minority in terms of opinion, but I am curious to know typical vetiver usage in mid- to higher-tier fragrances- is it generally actual vetiver, or is it "re-imagined" by aromachemicals?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I keep saying I'm going to do this, but I need to buy some essential oils that are single note..Vetiver, Amber, etc. It isn't fair to dislike a "note" b/c several fragrances with the note in the name I dislike.

You have every right to not like certain fragrances. There are widely used notes that I don't like in fragrances if they are made the dominant note, and I've tried. I like vetiver fragrances a lot. They put me in touch with nature. Vetiver smells like the world that is green, wild and determined to grow from the earth. By itself vetiver isn't very pretty, but it has a realism I like. Vetiver adds the natural grounding element perhaps better than any other perfumery note.

My favorite vetiver fragrances are: Sel d' Vetiver, Turtle Vetiver Front, Annick Goutal Vetiver, Givenchy Vetyver, Villoresi's Vetiver and Uomo, Kenzo Air - there are others. These are all blends with other stuff so it is the blend that makes them liked or not.

I'm testing Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver (Or is it "Gray Vetiver"? I'm too lazy to check.), and am exhibiting olfactory schizophrenia over it: love it, hate it, love it, hate it, love it... It's not a bore.

I think I like it, but will change my mind several dozen times before deciding. Maybe that's the vetiver, or maybe that's the Tom.

It's definitely a note which can smell bitter and cloying or, on the contrary, rooty and refreshing, depending on how it's treated. I either love vetiver-prominent scents or abhor them.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Blog Entries

There are notes like lemon, peppermint, bergamot, that always smell the same. Then there are notes like oud, leather, vetiver, rose, that smell wildly different depending on the fragrance. Like I said I love Mona d'Orio Vetyver, it is a very very dry smell, I don't detect that fermented grass clippings like I do in Creed OV or FM Vetiver Extrordinaire

There are notes like lemon, peppermint, bergamot, that always smell the same. Then there are notes like oud, leather, vetiver, rose, that smell wildly different depending on the fragrance. Like I said I love Mona d'Orio Vetyver, it is a very very dry smell, I don't detect that fermented grass clippings like I do in Creed OV or FM Vetiver Extrordinaire
    One of the reasons for this is things like lemon, peppermint, and bergamot are very specific. Take peppermint for example, it is part of the mint family, and those can smell different. Just like there are many types of mint, there are a few types of vetiver, and every iteration of a vetiver fragrance can use a different part of the plant (roots, leaves, ect.) Same for rose (many kinds) and leather (many different situations: soft leather, realistic leather, ect.) But a lot of the way the fragrance is perceived is by the additional supporting notes. As you say, you love Mona's Vetiver, which is smoothed out with tonka, while the vetiver sits less in the front of the fragrance. You might also like Vetiver Tonka or Fat Electrician, which are sweeter than your average stark rooty vetiver. Stay away from Turtle Vetiver though

The only vetiver I like so far is from Berdoue.
    Funny: one year ago, i've created a thread asking what's so enjoyable in vetiver

Keep in mind south American vetiver differs fron Indian ocean vetiver.

Mona and Vetiver Extraordinaire are both south American vetiver and , from an absolute value perspective, very similar.

Miller Harris' bourbon Vetiver is the epitome of Indian ocean Vetiver.

for swap/sale:

I love vetiver , I love it so much I bought a Vetiver (Khus) cordial syrup from a local Indian store. My favorite Vetivers are , Sycomore, Guerlain Vetiver Extreme, and this Vetiver Attar I have.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i like vetiver, but i like it as an accompanying note as a part of a well balanced fragrance.

i'm not a huge fan of scents that are based entirely around vetiver though.

vetiver based scents are largely for collectors, since they aren't really wearable or appealing to most of the public.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    vetiver based scents are largely for collectors, since they aren't really wearable or appealing to most of the public.
    Hmmm, completely disagree.

Completely disagree. The same could be said (by some people) for leather, tuberose, aldehydes, musk... anything. It's not to your taste... no biggy

Basenotes Plus

That's a pretty silly statement. There are many mainstream Vetiver fragrances out there, so someone must like it.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I LOVE vetiver fragrances. They have this sharp woody note that is very appealing to me IMO. I wouldn't give up my Guerlain Vetiver Extreme for anything.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

I quite like Vetiver. Seems a very masculine smell, and very persistent. I actually purchased Guerlain Vetiver yesterday.

I really enjoy it.

You may not have discovered the full spectrum. I don't care for the rooty earthy kind up front, but I really enjoy the brighter grass-y, paired with citrus kind found in Racine and vintage Guerlain Vetiver (the current is rubbish to my nose).

Sound Scents

Count me strongly in the vetiver lover's camp. That said, when I first got into fragrances I tried the vintage version of Guerlain Vetiver and really did not care much for it (and still don't). That put me off vetiver for many years thinking it was a note I disliked, when it turned out it was just I disliked the Guerlain. Now after trying well over 20 others, there have been only a couple others I did not care for and of course the one you love is my favorite. I recommend trying a few other vetiver compositions before giving up on vetiver... Coeur de Vetiver Sacre by L'Artisan may be one you like, as its vetiver heart is very well-concealed.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    You may not have discovered the full spectrum. I don't care for the rooty earthy kind up front, but I really enjoy the brighter grass-y, paired with citrus kind found in Racine and vintage Guerlain Vetiver (the current is rubbish to my nose).
    Do try terre de bois by miller Harris and Esprit du Roi by Penhaligon's. Both are grassy and citric.

for swap/sale:

I'll be sure to check these out when next strolling around downtime. Thanks hedonist!

Although an acquired taste, those who are unsure of whether or not vetiver is for them would be best advised to sample as many vetiver essential oils as possible.

There are many different varieties and these can also wildly differ from supplier to supplier. The most popular varieties used in perfumery are Javanese (e.g. Fumidus by Profumum), Haitian (e.g. Vetiver Extraordinare by Malle and Encre Noir by Lalique) and Bourbon (e.g. Vetiver Bourbon by Miller Harris), and are all very distinctive.

If anyone's interested, there's a discussion group I set up a few months ago:

http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=92

Banned
    Blog Entries

to those who disagree with me.

i never said i disliked vetiver or that it was bad.

i just meant it was naturally more niche friendly.

how many vetiver based (with vetiver being the dominant ingredient) designer fragrances have sold very well?

not many.

Blog Entries

to those who disagree with me.

i never said i disliked vetiver or that it was bad.

i just meant it was naturally more niche friendly.

how many vetiver based (with vetiver being the dominant ingredient) designer fragrances have sold very well?

not many.
    Look at Creed's Original Vetiver...While there are some Creed hard-core lovers that enjoy it, It is clearly the weakest link in the Creed chain, If you look at EBAY, GIT/Aventus is going for close to $200/bottle, while new 4oz OV averages $65/bottle. I lowered my price twice and still couldn't sell my bottle of Original Vetiver...It smells like fermented grass...compared to say Bn9 Wall Street that smells like green lush vines. I don't like Wall Street either BUT it smells fresh. People keep comparing vetiver to green grass, but to me, green grass is the smell of Gin. or a cut lawn.
    Threads about personal taste in notes spark debate, but of course it all boils down to the individual person, and the individual scent.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 3rd November 2012 at 12:29 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

original vetiver is niche. not designer.

wall street is a very good niche scent, but it's main selling point is not the vetiver, although i really like the vetiver note in it.

Personally I have also sampled Mona di Orio Vetyver and I don't like it at all. Still want to try the Creed Vetiver to see if it's any different.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Don't count me in as a hater, in fact, I'm quite a sucker for vetiver. Cacio's suggestion to smell the basic molecule may really help you to understand if you don't like vetiver in general or if you didn't simply like the fragrances you tried. Also, if you don't have access to aromachemical or essential oils, try some different types of vetiver. Sycomore is not similar to any of the fragrances you mentioned.
    Sycomore was my gateway vetiver. I've had for years L'Occitane Vetyver, which is quite a soft and vanilla-like vetiver and therefore was quite an outlier in the vetiver perfume spectrum. Sycomore, however, was the woody vetiver that ended up allowing me to appreciate other woody ones.

Blog Entries

original vetiver is niche. not designer.
    I don't agree, Creed is so wildly worshiped and available I's say it was designer that pretended to be niche. To me, niche is harder to find, not available in department stores, and basically unknown by the average joe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    Sycomore was my gateway vetiver. I've had for years L'Occitane Vetyver, which is quite a soft and vanilla-like vetiver and therefore was quite an outlier in the vetiver perfume spectrum. Sycomore, however, was the woody vetiver that ended up allowing me to appreciate other woody ones.
    I've got Sycomore on my "to try" list...

I too hate vetiver with a passion. The one I dislike the most is Vetiver Extraordinare

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    I too hate vetiver with a passion. The one I dislike the most is Vetiver Extraordinare
    If you hate vetiver with a passion, I can definitely see how Vetiver Extraordinaire would be the most disliked because it definitely the greatest example of the dinginess of this scent.

Everything as always comes down to personal tastes....the perception of gin...fresh cut grass...root cellar....it is all valid. I liked Creed's Original Vetiver but I would never buy it....where Givenchy and Dior's are what do it for me.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread Diptyque's Vetyverio and I agree. Nothing pungent about the scent at all, but very fresh and soft. Worth a sniff if you haven't already.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't agree, Creed is so wildly worshiped and available I's say it was designer that pretended to be niche. To me, niche is harder to find, not available in department stores, and basically unknown by the average joe.
    Original Vetiver is not available in department stores.

The average joe (aka someone who never looks into fragrances beyond what they see at the mall) has no way to accidentally discovering Original Vetiver.