Code of Conduct

Default Azzaro Onyx vs Azzaro Silver black.. They can't be the same fragrance.

Maybe they are identical in character but not in overall stature. Let me explain. I bought Onyx probably 6 months ago and I thought that it was an ok scent but felt it was alittle flat in it's presentation and had an old school vibe going on. Relunctant I gave it a try at work and it seemed it had no projection and the longevity was ok but I didn't get any compliments whatsoever and my wife disliked it so I wound up taking it back to the store. Last night I was reading some threads on here and you have some say it's identical and others say it's not so while I was browsing the isle at tj maxx I found abottle of silver black so I took a chance on it. I thought well if it's the same as onyx I will either sell it or take it back. Before I went to lunch I did a quick test on my wrist and I immediately got a blast of onyx for the first 30 sec but once it settled on the skin silver black does something different than onyx. Onyx has this very fruity old school vibe that pretty much stays linear throughout the scent life but it's overall scent to me always seemed flat like it was missing something. Silver black after 30 sec upon application and it settles on your skin just comes alive. It evolves into this very rich leather accord that is just simply amazing. Kinda like the note in the original Azzaro but done better imo. The musk comes through really well in the drydown that is superb. After lunch I decided to give this a full wearing before heading back to the office. I kid you not the compliments are as followed. I walk into my office and my colleague ask what I had on and he said it smelled really good. I grab my paperwork and walked into the room and two female colleague's back to back told me how great I smelled and the one wanted to know the name of it. I get back to my desk and the first colleague that complimented on it says to me the woman I passed in the hallway had made a statement of how good I smelled. I have never had a fragrance get that many compliments back to back from that many different people. What makes it interesting is I was around the the same people months ago when I wore Onyx and didn't even get noticed. It's amazing to me that two fragrances that are supposed to be the same are quite different in fact that one garners compliments on me and the other does not. Also I think Silver black has better projection and longevity than Onyx. Is there anyone who has compared these two fragrances and would like to give their experience? What do you guys think? Am I crazy? lol.... Look forward to reading your inights.

Default Re: Azzaro Onyx vs Azzaro Silver black.. They can't be the same fragrance.

They smelled exactly the same to me.

Default Re: Azzaro Onyx vs Azzaro Silver black.. They can't be the same fragrance.

It always made me wonder as on "fragrantica" they are two different scents with a different note list.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    It always made me wonder as on "fragrantica" they are two different scents with a different note list.
    I agree.... I don't think alot of people will stand with me on this but to my nose siver black is much more richer than Onyx. I hope others will chime in with their experience. Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    I agree.... I don't think alot of people will stand with me on this but to my nose siver black is much more richer than Onyx. I hope others will chime in with their experience. Thanks for posting
    I own Silver Black and I must say it really has some character, not to mention sillage and longevity.

You could be testing Azzaro Night Time? It's quite different from Onyx and Silber Black.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    You could be testing Azzaro Night Time? It's quite different from Onyx and Silber Black.
    It's def silver black......says it right on the box.........it's some awesome juice

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    I own Silver Black and I must say it really has some character, not to mention sillage and longevity.

That's what impressed me with it as well...... Oh and the drydown is flipping Gorgeous. love the creamy musk that shines through.

Tried Silver Black for the first time recently and found it quite nice. Would definitely consider getting it at some point.

I own both. Silver Black was purchased here in Australia, while Onyx was a bought via Strawberrynet in Hong Kong. They smell exactly the same to me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

They are the same.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

absolute same fragrance, just different regional marketing. Says it on the box as well and smells to me 100% alike.
    Looked for Varvatos Artisan for several months to then find it to be one of the most simple citrus drugstore fragrances ever made

Quote Originally Posted by miner View Post
    absolute same fragrance, just different regional marketing. Says it on the box as well and smells to me 100% alike.
    Maybe Onyx has been reformulated and Silver Black hasn't?
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Maybe Onyx has been reformulated and Silver Black hasn't?
    Cheers,
    Renato
    I def think this is a possibility.... Same fragrance just Onyx is new formula and silver black older.

- - - Updated - - -

I knew when I created this thread there were going to be alot stating it's the same fragrance and I def do not discount that it is but I know by my nose and my experience with both that I don't think there exactly the same. In other words note for note and def projection and longevity. Maybe my nose is deceiving me?

When it was launched it was stated that it was the same fragrance but with a different name for different markets (much like Frederic Malle's Bois d'Orage / French Lover). According to Michael Edward, the fragrance is discontinued now anyway. A possible reason for smelling different is that the fragrances could have come from batches from different years, or possible stored different at the retailers

Thanks for the info Grant.
    I bought a bottle of Onyx the first year it was released. It smells great and there are no sillage or longevity issues. I've always loved it and I'm surprised it does'nt get more attention.

I won't lie, this one has always peaked my interest a bit!
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    When it was launched it was stated that it was the same fragrance but with a different name for different markets (much like Frederic Malle's Bois d'Orage / French Lover). According to Michael Edward, the fragrance is discontinued now anyway. A possible reason for smelling different is that the fragrances could have come from batches from different years, or possible stored different at the retailers
    I don't know about Onyx, but Silver Black is very well stocked here in Croatia, well at least at Müller perfumery.

Discontinued? I've had no problems getting Onyx from some of the big internet fragrance retailers. Was it discontinued only recently?
    Fragrance reviews and ruminations: http://romanticloner.jp22.net/wp/

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I won't lie, this one has always peaked my interest a bit!
    sniff it out.... You will not be disappointed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Thanks for the info Grant.... very informative. Question? Has it been recently discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    Thanks for the info Grant.... very informative. Question? Has it been recently discontinued?
    Hello

I'm basing this information on the Michael Edwards books. In the 2012 copy which came out at the start of this year, it is listed as discontinued. I don't have the 2011 & 2010 ones to hand, but in the 2009 version it is listed as in production, so I'm guessing it's fairly recently.

It's not uncommon for fragrances that have been discontinued years ago, to still have lots of stocks hanging around (sadly not in all cases. See Cuiron, D&G By Man etc)

Hey guys. Silver black strikes again. Walked into my kids daycare and the sitter gave me a compliment.... she said ohhhh daddy you smell sooooooo gooooodddd......lol

I saw both yesterday at TJMX... glad I didn't buy Onyx if it's the same as SB. Don't get me wrong: SB is an excellent scent, but not for me. I gave it to my 16 year old because it has too much green apple for me--but it's one helluva lot better than the Axe he'd been douching with.