Code of Conduct

Default Need help picking a niche frag for a girl

Hello everyone!

With the holidays coming up, I needed help picking out a woman's niche frag for a friend of mine that has taken an interest into fragrances.

I only know of the men's side to this world. What I was looking for was an easy all around crowd pleaser intro to niche, something like an Aventus, tobacco vanille, or Amber Narguile, but the female equivalent.

Currently she (23 years old) likes typical girly scents and uses euphoria, flowerbomb, and daisy by marc jocobs. Thats all I can think off the top of my head.

We went sniffing the other day and Creed Aqua Fiorentina the encore and Spring Flower were hits. I did some research though and they dont seem to be that positive.

Any help?

Default Re: Need help picking a niche frag for a girl

My own view is that buying perfume for someone else is just too risky unless you know just what she wants. All the research and reviews in the world won't guarantee that she'll like it, and niche can be a bit expensive to gamble with.

Could you take her shopping and let her pick something? Or maybe get her a collection of samples based on what you know she likes?

Depends how much you're willing to spend. I'd definitely look into the Tableau De Parfums line - Miriam and Loretta are both easy to approach, and both gorgeous
    Maybe also try the L'Artisan Parfumeur line, something like Nuit de Tubereuse could be an interesting choice.
    Or try the Etat Libre D'Orange line for something quirky, Putain Des Palaces is a gorgeous powdery floral but it's also really modern - as long as she doesn't get the wrong impression from the name...

I also agree that buying a unique frag is risky. Better to introduce her to niche through some sampling set or the like. Worthy houses that sell not too expensive sampling sets and that do have stuff in the fruity-floral area are Ormonde Jayne, Etat Libre d'Orange, and, I believe, also Parfums de Rosine. $$$$ sample sets are available also from Malle.

cacio

If you know she likes the creeds why not just go with one of those. Seems safe and if she loves them, that's what matters.

I think she might like Molinard Nirmala por perhaps Mauboussin.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I also agree that buying a unique frag is risky. Better to introduce her to niche through some sampling set or the like. Worthy houses that sell not too expensive sampling sets and that do have stuff in the fruity-floral area are Ormonde Jayne, Etat Libre d'Orange, and, I believe, also Parfums de Rosine. $$$$ sample sets are available also from Malle.

cacio
    +1, also the Ineke, and Juliette Has A Gun houses have great value sample sets where the money from the samples is given as a voucher towards a full bottle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiteEmUpGood View Post

We went sniffing the other day and Creed Aqua Fiorentina the encore and Spring Flower were hits. I did some research though and they dont seem to be that positive.

Any help?
    If the two Creeds were hits with her, why look any further. Because they do not get positive grades from others, it really is a personal preference. My GF loves those two.

If you want to consider others to look at, Florabotanica by Balenciaga or La Petite Robe Noire by Guerlain. Both can be had at Nordsroms or Neiman's. A few others you may consider is Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Femme and Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris Pour Femme which can be purchased at Neiman's.

As mentioned, it can be risky purchasing fragrances for others. If you decide on any of these, ask for samples. That way she can try before opening the box. If she doesn't like it, it can be returned.

She might like some fragrances by Keiko Mecheri or perhaps Carnal Flower by Frederic Malle (haven't tried it myself although I hear it's lovely), Jasmal by Creed is also something she might really like (wearing it today so it's at the forefront of my recommendations but it's very pretty nonetheless).

This really seems super-easy to me ...go for one of the Creeds that was a hit. You know she likes them so why do you care if a bunch of anonymous reviewers don't? Lots of great reviews and great recommendations are no guarantee, and have nothing on something you already know she likes.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Going along the lines of the perfumes you mentioned I think she might like La Petite Robe Noire by Guerlain
    Cat (ParfumDiva)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    This really seems super-easy to me ...go for one of the Creeds that was a hit. You know she likes them so why do you care if a bunch of anonymous reviewers don't? Lots of great reviews and great recommendations are no guarantee, and have nothing on something you already know she likes.
    I agree with Evangeline, 100%.

Miss Charming and Petite Cherie smell young and easy to like

How about taking her to a Jo Malone counter and having her try some out? The counter/section they have is an experience in itself I think.

+1 Juliette Has A Gun, and they has a good price.
    But i agree, that buying a unique frag is risky. I gave my sister Diptyque Olene, because she love jasmine. She wears light blue by D&G and Euphoria by Calvin Klein. She had never used the Olene.
    Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning... smelled like-victory... (colonel Kilgore, "Apocalypse Now")

What I like the most of my girlfriend's fragrances are:

- YSL: Opium (old bottling); Delicious warm but heavy oriental; a masterpiece! (smells very niche)
    - Robert Piguet: Baghari; can't get enough of that orange spicy smell; Also a masterpiece imo
    - Coco by Chanel; One of the best women's frags ever made.
    - Villoresi: Teint de Neige: Powdery but delicious!

Designer:

- Angel edt: more wearable than the edp and very very good!
    - Lauder: Sensuous Noir: Like the name says.......
    - Must de Cartier: A brilliant oriental
    - C. Herrera: 212 Sexy: It is! sexy!
    - Oscar de la Renta for women; good stuff for a confident woman
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

I agree with Kagey that buying for someone blind is risky. The best thing to do is go shopping and buy the scent she likes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Well if you are going the wildly popular Aventus, how about the wildly popular (on most top 10s) Portrait of a Lady?

But I second if she likes Acqua Fiorentina, then get it for her. My wife loves that stuff, too.