Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Serge Lutens splash

10 16.95%
  • Serge Lutens spray

52 88.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Serge Lutens splash or spray?

Which do you guys prefer? Do you leave the spray off and just use the Serge Lutens bottles as splash? Or do you prefer the spray?

For me, I like using both! I prefer splash for my Ambre Sultan bottle and spray for my Fumerie Turque bottle.

Why do you guys prefer one or the other?

NOTE! MULTIPLE SELECTION POSSIBLE!
    Last edited by myaccolades; 31st October 2006 at 09:53 AM.

Default Re: Serge Lutens splash or spray?

An Arabie splash ? I got dizzy just thinking about it ..
    -

I must confess, I tried so hard to find one SL fragrance to love. The only one that came close was Encens et Lavande. Do I feel any of them are worth the price and efforT? No. Most are syrupy sweet and make me want to barf.

All my SL's are splash with the exception of Gris Clair.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Thrax

I dont think I would go for a splash. One wrong turn of the bottle and you would be loosing very very pricey juice.

Gris Clair made me almost want to vommit. It smells like a wet cotton shirt that had a hot iron left on it for too long. The lavender does smell like it was crushed between the fingers but the smokey ashtray from the inscense gives it a nauseating effect. Encens et Lavende is deeper, darker, mystical, and a purple cloud of aura.

The spray will be better for you unless you know how to keep a splash sanitary. Many possibilites of contaimination there. Go with a spray if possible.

myaccolades,

the way i read your post indicates your wish to know whether a person prefers lutens spray or splash bottles. i don't see a reference indicating your desire to know people's opinions about certain fragrances.

for them i recommend reading forum rules #6 re staying on topic.

the lutens export range bottles come with an excellent spray mechanism. i have never had a problem with one. i prefer those to the splash bell jars.
    Last edited by pluran; 31st October 2006 at 07:58 AM.
    -
    Energy flows where attention goes.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    All my SL's are splash with the exception of Gris Clair.
    I wish to clarify: All my SL's are bell bottle splash.. the bell bottles never came with a spray. I have a spray/splash bottle of Gris Clair which I bought here in the U.S.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    myaccolades,

the way i read your post indicates your wish to know whether a person prefers lutens spray or splash bottles. i don't see a reference indicating your desire to know people's opinions about certain fragrances.

for them i recommend reading forum rules #6 re staying on topic.
    Yes, exactly. I wasn't sure whether to bring this up as I thought it might offend someone but I'm glad that you did. I really don't know why people are giving their opinions on the fragrances themselves as I've explicitly asked whether they prefered spray/splash and why. There are countless threads on the opinion of the different SL scents.

Upon reading some of the replies, I'm thinking of switching my Ambre Sultan bottle to spray - even though I prefer a splash method of application as I like to wear it subtly. "Subtle", in this case, isn't actually subtle at all as this is quite a strong fragrance. A few dabs behind each ear, a couple dabs to the base of the throat, and one or two dabs to each wrist is enough for me so the "splash" (or dab) method of application is best for me. I can't imagine spraying this one on.

As Thrax pointed out, there's the risk of the bottles falling over and spilling half of the contents out - I was actually thinking of that as I was applying my Fumerie Turque today (It just came in the mail today and I've yet to apply the spray - I think it'll apply more nicely that way). I think I will attach the spray and just decant into little droppers so to use it as a splash.

There's also the risk of excessive air exposure every time you open the bottle if it was splash. I'm not too worried of contamination of bacteria or anything as the alcohol would kill it anyway but excessive air exposure could ruin a fragrance. Compared to the spray, the spray only allowed a small amount of air in each time - not a whole lot like the splash where there is a big hole that's open.
    Last edited by myaccolades; 31st October 2006 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    Which do you guys prefer? Do you leave the spray off and just use the Serge Lutens bottles as splash? Or do you prefer the spray?
    For me, I like using both! I prefer splash for my Ambre Sultan bottle and spray for my Fumerie Turque bottle.
    Why do you guys prefer one or the other?
    I perfectly understand your question. To offer the spray mechanism as an alternative makes indeed sense. I couldn't vote because I use both systems - why?
    Lutens have lighter and heavier fragrances. I prefer to spray lighter ones, Sa Majesté la Rose, for example. I also use the spray system on the Ambre bottle, but the risk of over-spraying this almost-perfume is high. For potent stuff with perfume quality, like Arabie, I went back to 'splash' in order to best control where and how I apply it. The opening of the 50ml bottles is small enough to safely put only drops on your finger tip, just as you would do it with conventional perfumes. I cannot comment on any bell bottles.

ps. myaccolades, picking up on your simultaneous post: face and neck is too close for me with most fragrances. Dabbing my arm or wrists works fine with me. Whether through the pump or open bottle, the amount of air entering the bottle is the same. It's a question of saturated versus regular air instead.
    Last edited by narcus; 31st October 2006 at 09:28 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

myaccolades,

Right, utilizing the spray mechanism option is the way to go. You want to expose the juice to as little oxygen, etc as possible. The Lutens spray mechanisms allow you to sort of spritz the juice lightly so that it doesn't come out in one big blast. No worries.

Have fun with those. Awesome frags...
    Last edited by pluran; 31st October 2006 at 09:22 AM.
    -
    -

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    I perfectly understand your question. To offer the spray mechanism as an alternative makes indeed sense. I couldn't vote because I use both systems - why?
    Lutens have lighter and heavier fragrances. I prefer to spray lighter ones, Sa Majesté la Rose, for example. I also use the spray system on the Ambre bottle, but the risk of over-spraying this almost-perfume is high. For potent stuff with perfume quality, like Arabie, I went back to 'splash' in order to best control where and how I apply it. The opening of the 50ml bottles is small enough to safely put only drops on your finger tip, just as you would do it with conventional perfumes. I cannot comment on any bell bottles.

ps. myaccolades, picking up on your simultaneous post: face and neck is too close for me with most fragrances. Dabbing my arm or wrists works fine with me. Whether through the pump or open bottle, the amount of air entering the bottle is the same. It's a question of saturated versus regular air instead.
    Oops! I forgot to indicate that multiple choices are possible! You can select both if those are what you use.

I agree with the splashing (or dabbing) of Arabie - the spray would be way too intense for personal application. The tiniest goes the longest way for me so I also use splash with this one.

I normally don't apply to the base of the neck unless I'm home and I'm testing the fragrance. When I go out, it goes to the backs of the ear (right behind the lobes on that soft spot and on my wrists. I find if I dab behind the ear, people can smell it really well but not excessively if, say, I give them a hug or if I lean in close to tell them something.

Another issue I'm going to bring up: taking the sprays off.

When I move between homes (I study outside of town so this happens every few months), I like to house my fragrances in the boxes that they come in for a little more protection (I hate hearing the clinking/clanging of my unboxed glass fragrance bottles knocking against each other). In this case, if one of my SL fragrances had the spray on it, I would eventually have to take it off so that the flacon would fit in the box.

What do you guys do with the spray? There's obviously going to be some fragrance left in the tube and the tube/inside of spray will be coated with the fragrance. This is another reason why I'm leaning towards just using the splash only.

So far, I can't think of any practical way of dealing with this. I suppose that once the spray comes off, you can hold it and spray the remaining fragrance back into the bottle - but what about the fragrance that's coating the tube? I thought that perhaps I can just apply that onto my body as my SOTD - but what if, like me, you have many bottles? There's no way a person can wear 2 or 3 different SL scent all at the same time. That's like .. an olfactory nuclear bomb! haha Wiping the frag off the tube is another option but that seems like an awful big waste.

What're your thoughts?

My thoughts - Never remove the spray mechanism. Spray some on your hand and apply to your neck or wherever.
    -
    -

My thoughts - Never remove the spray mechanism. Spray some on your hand and apply to your neck or wherever.
    I like storing my frags in their boxes when I travel though - and they won't fit in with the spray mechanism attached (why is it so tall anyway?).

I like storing my frags in their boxes when I travel though - and they won't fit in with the spray mechanism attached (why is it so tall anyway?).
    I know. It's ridiculous. JHL is the same way. I still wouldn't remove the spray mechanism. Just find another way to store them. The preservation of the juice is more important than being able to store them in the original box.
    -
    -

I know. It's ridiculous. JHL is the same way. I still wouldn't remove the spray mechanism. Just find another way to store them. The preservation of the juice is more important than being able to store them in the original box.
    Very true!

Is it just me or do the bottles look really ugly with the spray mechanism on? I love the little round screw on cap. It's so cute, unintrusive, and suits the bottle. The tall cylindrical sprayer/cap is just plain ugly in my opinion. It juts up and doesn't match the bottles.

Another reason to use the bottles as splash! the cute round screw on cap!

Very true!

Is it just me or do the bottles look really ugly with the spray mechanism on? I love the little round screw on cap. It's so cute, unintrusive, and suits the bottle. The tall cylindrical sprayer/cap is just plain ugly in my opinion. It juts up and doesn't match the bottles.

Another reason to use the bottles as splash! the cute round screw on cap!
    When I referred to JHL I was saying that you can't store that one in the box with the spray mechanism on. Crazy. You'd think they would make the box bigger. I actually like the way the Lutens bottle looks with the sprayer. I understand what you're saying though.

It's up to you. Repeated exposure to oxygen will have profound efects on the quality of the juice. Just think about the smell of the juice and how much you love it instead of all the rest. That's what really matters.
    -
    -

I agree with what Pluran says above. I'd pay the same for a 50ml spray as I would for a 75ml splash bottle just to have the option of keeping the juice away from the air.

I have no experience of the spray mechanisms on the exports, but I do transfer the juice from the "bell bottles" into small sprays and the exposure to air is quite minimal. Sprays aren't 100% air tight either. A tiny bit of air gets into the bottle everytime you spray.

Anyway, I really like the small aluminum sprays at Muji. They spray very little at a time so they are great for scents you don't want ot use too much of.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

: ( I guess I'll be screwing on my sprays...

I was applying Fumerie Turque this morning when the bottle fell over and I lost around 3% of the juice

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

: ( I guess I'll be screwing on my sprays...

I was applying Fumerie Turque this morning when the bottle fell over and I lost around 3% of the juice
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH indeed! My blurry vision thought you said 39 % and I felt such pain for you I didn't pause to wonder why you didn't round it up to 40 %.

I know perfectly well I should keep my SL bells in the box, but I cannot. I want to look at them, and also I like to see my whole collection for choosing my SOTD. I first tried these as 5ml roll-on from Buffalo Gal's ebay store (Dragonfly Scent Me) and her boutique quality scanned in labels are nice. Next to each bell, I have the original BG decant that I refill as needed. I cannot imagine spraying on Fumerie Turque. My exports all have sprays, though, just for the convienance. I would not take them off for moving! I think you should put them in your (clean) socks and pack them alongside the other re-boxed fragrances.

I immediately changed my screw on caps to the spray cap. I like to spray them in my hair, for one. I do like having the option, though, and wish more perfumes came this way! It is so much easier to decant for swaps and to have a little spray or roller bottle to carry around with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Opus View Post
    I must confess, I tried so hard to find one SL fragrance to love. The only one that came close was Encens et Lavande. Do I feel any of them are worth the price and efforT? No. Most are syrupy sweet and make me want to barf.
    I 100% agree. I tried and tried to no avail.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I like the spray. I like that there is even an option. I only need 2 sprays from my Chergui to last me all day and if I didn't shower it would last for a few days. It is so strong that the splash would be too hard to control and over application would be way to easy.

My vote: Spray (any scent), for many of the reasons already mentioned.

Have a great weekend all...

Mike

Spray. I don't like splashes. Having said that, I do need to spray a lot of juice on myself because my body temperature is low and it's hard to smell anything otherwise. Lutens suit me just fine from that perspective.

I use the atomiser on my bottles of Chergui, Miel du Bois, Ambre Sultan, Gris Clair, and A La Nuit. I have a decant of Borneo so I use the spray on that. I have to be cautious with Chergui and Ambre because they are incredibly potent. One spray of each is plenty. For the others I use two to three sprays, but always under my clothes.

However, I don't spray Muscs Koublai Khan. I find that spraying it is too much and it seems to throw the cumin note heavily into my face. I prefer how it settles into my skin if I daub it on.

I spray on my exports and dab on my exclusivs.

Like other people, it depends which one - actually often I use a combo of both. For arabie, I'll give a small spray to the neck and then unscrew the top and put a little on my finger and apply on my wrists, under my ears and a little on my cheeks.

Cedre is one I have a sample of, but it's so strong that I just dab a little on th back of my hands, and my neck and it's plenty. Sooo nice though!

Fumerie Turque I spray, but sometimes dab also to get a little on the wrists. Often a spray wastes a ton of th eprfume, which is why I really like the option.

A La nuit I just spray.

Man - speaking of spilling - just today, I have a bottle of Ayala Moriel Yasmin - if you don't know they come in small 8ml bottles and are pretty expensive. If any guys out there (or girls) liek Jasmine, give this a try - it's beautiful, with mild spices - very different from A La Nuit, even if it's a jasmine soliflore.

I had used some of it before, but was saving the bulk of it for summer - like now.

Well, it smells great, but I f**in' dropped it as I was admiring the beautiful little teardrop bottle, and spilled almost half of it on my hands. THe biggest waste of perfume and money in the shortest amount of time!

I smelled good today though!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 3rd June 2007 at 07:49 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

I go for the spray. For me it is easier to control and I just feel it offers the right proportion. It never seems I get the correct amount (too much usually) if I use the splash method.

Quote Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
    I go for the spray. For me it is easier to control and I just feel it offers the right proportion. It never seems I get the correct amount (too much usually) if I use the splash method.
    That's funny - for me it's the exact opposite - with most sprays (with the exception of Guerlain Vetiver and Creed SMW) it's quite hard, or impossible to control how much sprays on, and it usually sprays too much - plus often it sprays in the wrong direction which is a pain in the ass! SL sprays are sort of in the middle, controllable to some extent - like you can do a half shot if you try hard. Guerlain and SMW are like supreme control.

Maybe it's your splash method? For me, I just cap the bottle with my finger, tip it a little till my finger is wet, then I spread it on my skin. very difficult to apply too much. If it's too little, you just do it again!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 3rd June 2007 at 07:29 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Great discussion. I just picked up Ambre Sultan yesterday and am leaning toward the sprayer. The only problem is what to do if/when I move fragrances, but I guess the overall sprayer benefits are worth that small hassle.

when i think of splash bottles i think of aftershaves where you actually pour a little into your hand and splash it on. does anyone really 'splash' on an eau de parfum? i assumed people dabbed it onto their finger and then applied wherever, at least thats how i do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    Does anyone really 'splash' on an eau de parfum?
    I'm sure there are those who do, but I don't.

Banned

Spray.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

I prefere spraying as splashing losing too much beautiful juice.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

I really don't see the point of a splash when a spray is available: more precise, better spread, less risk of costly loss.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I dab MKK and spray Borneo 1834 and Ambre Sultan. I had been spraying Chergui, but today took the sprayer off and screwed on the little round cap.

I don't buy the idea that using the splash method exposes the juice to massive amounts of oxygen. The oxygen content should be same with either the cap or sprayer, just like ordindary room air - about 20%.

treeman5823

I think spray bottles are more practical.