Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Funny Frag Descriptions from your Non-Fraghead Friends...

Being that my wife and I are quite into frags, we had fun sharing with some good friends of ours some samples and samples from our bottles of frags. It was fun to get their input as to which ones they liked, and which ones they disliked. The best part was to hear their descriptions as to what the different frags smelled like to them. I thought it would be kind of fun to hear from all of you, some of the funniest descriptions of different fragrances that you have heard. I'm sure this type of thing has been done before, but I thought I'd get your input all the same. So, here are some of my favorites from last night:

L'eau d'Hiver-"It smells like Pepperoni Pizza, with the tomato sauce, pepperoni, spices and everything."
    China Town-"It smells just like baby powder"
    Odeur 53-"It does have a sort of hot white light bulb smell...mixed with really old woman perfume"
    New Haarlem-"Mmmmm, breakfast sausage"
    Little Italy-"Wow, it smells just like Cilantro, it reminds me of a Mexican Restaurant"

I scratched my head many times and just thought "can perceptions of scents be that different, or off for that matter?" I don't know if it's just that I'm into frags and have smelled many of them and continue to smell them and I try to pick out the notes, but, wow I don't think I would ever describe L'eau d'Hiver as Pepperoni Pizza, and I have never smelled sausage in New Haarlem, and...nope, no baby powder in China Town. Funny stuff.

Feel free to share some of your favorites.

Default Re: Funny Frag Descriptions from your Non-Fraghead Friends...

I have a floral perfume that a coworker constantly says "smells just like Ivory soap". I disagree entirely, but I can't help but worry a little that I'm really walking around smelling like Ivory soap and don't know it!

Blog Entries

My wife smelled a blotter with Thierry Mugler Pure Shot on it (which I like), but she immediately started shaking her head violently sideways, backing up in her chair until it almost tipped over, and made a nasty face....

"Smells like terrible cheap guy. NO WAY!"

O..... K.

She says Kouros smells like the Japanese raccoon dog, the tanuki. I smelled a tanuki enclosure, and can vouch that it's pretty damn animalic, but I don't get that Kouros smells like it.

She sniffed Hermèssence Rose Ikebana, and immediately called out "matcha" - which is a type of Japanese green tea.

And one time when I wore way too much Bleu de Chanel, she said it smelled like a prostitute.

She said that Tom Ford Black Orchid smelled "too feminine". Whatever that means!

I think she said that McGraw Silver smelled like "cleaning chemicals". Definitely a thumbs down (though she likes the original, and also Southern Blend).

She also thinks that Guerlains generally smell too much like "cosmetics". So I guess that's how she describes the "guerlinade".

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    I have a floral perfume that a coworker constantly says "smells just like Ivory soap". I disagree entirely, but I can't help but worry a little that I'm really walking around smelling like Ivory soap and don't know it!
    It is possible because I get that musk+flower=soap thing from a lot of frags. It just kills it for me when something smells great for an hour then dries down to a bar of soap.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    My wife smelled a blotter with Thierry Mugler Pure Shot on it (which I like), but she immediately started shaking her head violently sideways, backing up in her chair until it almost tipped over, and made a nasty face....

"Smells like terrible cheap guy. NO WAY!"
    Too funny. I don't know what terrible cheap guy smells like, but you really should make your own fragrance and name it that. I don't know if it would smell good, but man I would love to tell people that I'm wearing "Terrible Cheap Guy". Awesome!!

I just love people's perceptions of scents...I really just can't believe how people can smell the same thing and get completely opposite things from it.

Bois d'iris from vca smells like dirty hamster cage aggording to my mom.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, and LADDM smells very feminine and flowery

Banned
    Blog Entries

My aunt said burberry london smelled like fat man sweating.

I wore aventus and she asked me if it was ricky martin cologne. I said "what". She said it smells like a gay man.

Tokyomilk Marine Sel: husband said, "crab toots?" and my son termed it "rotting celery and someone's hypothalamus"

usually the only comments they give are "wow, that's strong" or "YES"

My wife told me once years back that I smelled like overcooked broccoli when I wore Advance For Men.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

From ex-coworker

Wearing CDG Kyoto, he said 'You smell like you just return from a temple filled with cloud of incense'

Wearing L'instant de Guerlain Pour Homme 'What is that funny smell! Who sprayed bug spray ?'

After he made that comment to me, he was mysteriously disaapear .
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé