Code of Conduct

Thread: Bottle Fatigue

Default Bottle Fatigue

We know about olfactory fatigue, but this is what I call full bottle fatigue:

You have a decant or sample of a fragrance. You love it. You have a few ml left. You decide you MUST buy a full bottle of it. You have to do it before your decant runs out. It smells so good.

Then you buy that full bottle, and then soon after you hardly ever wear that fragrance again. It's like having the full bottle makes you not appreciate what you coveted so much when you only had a little.

Anyone else have this with full bottles?

Default Re: Bottle Fatigue

Thats happened to me with Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, YSL L'Homme and Pure Malt.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Happened with my bottles of Rose 31 and Jubilation XXV.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

It's even worse when it involves a perception that somehow the full bottle just doesn't smell as good as the decant did. Maybe that's Acute Bottle Fatigue.

Economics already has it covered: scarcity.

Always.
    It's why I have multiple bottles. I get bored of one, and begin to love the other that I originally became bored of.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist View Post
    Economics already has it covered: scarcity.
    And it could simply be that at this period in your life you are not gravitating towards that perfume genre.

for swap/sale:

It happened to me with Bogart Signature and YSL PH Haute Concentration...

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry!
    And also Grey Flannel...

Has never happened to me.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Now that you mention it, yes. All the time. Perhaps the sight of a near full bottle plants in us a seed of doubt; if there is still that much juice after all this time, it obviously doesn't get much wear. Perhaps it isn't all that great to begin with.

And that's why we keep seeing practically unused bottles for sale in BN's marketplace.

Yep, Aventus.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Nihilist said it! The perception of scarcity makes us treasure things more.

I sometimes found that my interest waned after I bought backup bottles, so I more or less stopped buying backups unless the perfume is discontinued/reformulated/limited edition-- and only if I really love it and wear it often.

Banned

I haven't experienced what you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Now that you mention it, yes. All the time. Perhaps the sight of a near full bottle plants in us a seed of doubt; if there is still that much juice after all this time, it obviously doesn't get much wear. Perhaps it isn't all that great to begin with.

And that's why we keep seeing practically unused bottles for sale in BN's marketplace.
    Same here.

I haven't come across this yet...hopefully I never do... Although I do tend to "conserve" my favorites more if I'm running low & don't have (or can't afford at the time) a backup. The more I have, the more I feel comfortable using it more often & I still seem to enjoy & appreciate it just as much as when I had little.

Yes, I have.

Sometimes I feel like I need a bottle of something i've tried/worn a few times. I feel anxious and buy it, i wait for it to be deliverad like a mad man staring out the window waiting for the postman. When the bottle finally gets home I use it, i'm happy for a while but then it ends in the drawer i stock my collection and the circle begins again. I try something new and it becomes my new obsession while my latest purchase sleeps with the rest of my collection waiting to be worn some day.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed. This has happened to me.

Basenotes Plus

I think I'm the opposite. I rarely use decants because I feel like if I use them, they will run out quickly. When I have a full bottle, I can go crazy with it because they last a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'm the opposite. I rarely use decants because I feel like if I use them, they will run out quickly. When I have a full bottle, I can go crazy with it because they last a long time.

Yes, all the time, but it's not because I dislike the scent. It's because I have such a large collection, and I chose things that are more versatile before I chose that. But as a collector, and knowing how fast some items get lost in the market, and are forever gone, only to go for ridiculously high prices on ebay.. I think this justifies buying a bottle.

Some examples of fragrances I own, I love, but never wear..
    Paul Smith London
    Diesel Zero Plus
    Escada pH
    vintage Fahrenheit
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I believe it goes with the territory moving from decants to full bottles. One must get used to having an ample supply when a mere morsel satisfied before.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Yes, I have.

Sometimes I feel like I need a bottle of something i've tried/worn a few times. I feel anxious and buy it, i wait for it to be deliverad like a mad man staring out the window waiting for the postman. When the bottle finally gets home I use it, i'm happy for a while but then it ends in the drawer i stock my collection and the circle begins again. I try something new and it becomes my new obsession while my latest purchase sleeps with the rest of my collection waiting to be worn some day.
    This is *exactly* what I'm describing in my own experience!

I make sure that a sample is 100% fbw before I purchase.

I have never experienced this phenomenon you speak of.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Yes, I have.

Yep, me too.
    But often l'll get it out again months later, fall in love with it all over again & l wonder why l don't wear it more often.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Fortunately, I have not reached that point.

Thankfully, not. To me, full bottles have the advantage that no boredom truly has time to kick in, since I schedule applications over a longer time, thus finding enough respite to crave again for, to "fall in love again" with that fragrance.