Code of Conduct

Default Good everyday winter scent?

Background: College student, just looking for a good everyday wear cologne that obviously smells good. This will be my first cologne after Chrome, and I can't use that anymore in the winter, so I'm looking to get something else.

What do you guys think about these fragrances, also throw anything out there if you think it would fit well.
    • Angel Men Original
    • Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    • Burberry London
    • Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit

Default Re: Good everyday winter scent?

Wlecome!

My favorite in the set are Angel men and Le Male. A*Men is more distinctive, but also stronger. Le Male is smoother and more approachable, but less distinctive. So it depends on whether you're ok with strong frags. Personally not a fan of the Burberry.

My favorite warm wintery frag is Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not Platinum Egoiste). Warm sandalwood with a touch of candied fruit. Very elegant. Not very easy to find, but not that expensive either.

cacio

Do you have any thoughts on La Nuit? Seems like a decent amount of people like it.

I like it but prefer the other two. but, as you say, many people really like it, and I'm sure they will chime in as well.

cacio

Wow, after checking out the store for Angel men, they have a bunch of different fragrances, kind of overwhelming. Do you like any of these over the other? A few of the ones I see mentioned alot are the Malt and Havane one, along with the original obviously.

Sample my dude, sample. It's the best way to end up buying something you like. I like A*men, Pure Malt, Pure Havane, Le Male, La Nuit and own 'em all and all are nice winter frags with above average projection and longevity. Something worth a look might be Rochas Man, it's a great frag and can be had on the cheap if you shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Sample my dude, sample. It's the best way to end up buying something you like. I like A*men, Pure Malt, Pure Havane, Le Male, La Nuit and own 'em all and all are nice winter frags with above average projection and longevity. Something worth a look might be Rochas Man, it's a great frag and can be had on the cheap if you shop around.
    Think I'm gonna put an order in for samples of Angel Men(original), La Nuit, Le Male, London, and Rochas.

I would try the Egoiste, but this website doesn't have the sample for it.

Final question though, should the 3mL sample be enough to decide if I like it or not?

Own and love all 4.
    In your case, I would ask myself "Which of these do I see myself reaching for more?"
    In order of most to least versatile (although versatility isn't that important to me, it may be to you):

1. La Nuit
    2. Le Male
    3. London
    4. A*Men

Quote Originally Posted by ogbrien View Post
    Background: College student, just looking for a good everyday wear cologne that obviously smells good. This will be my first cologne after Chrome, and I can't use that anymore in the winter, so I'm looking to get something else.

What do you guys think about these fragrances, also throw anything out there if you think it would fit well.
    • Angel Men Original
    • Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    • Burberry London
    • Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit
    All very good ones.

Think I'm gonna put an order in for samples of Angel Men(original), La Nuit, Le Male, London, and Rochas.

I would try the Egoiste, but this website doesn't have the sample for it.

Final question though, should the 3mL sample be enough to decide if I like it or not?
    Rather than mail order samples, I'll suggest you visit a Sephora. They'll absolutely give you samples and you can try stuff while you're there. If you've haven't got a Sephora near by, any place that sells cosmetics usually has frags to check out. But don't pay for samples. Just a suggestion though, take it or leave it.

3ml sample should be enough to decide if you likey.

Burberry London is a very good Winter scent.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Own and enjoy, very much:
    La Nuit de L'Homme,
    Le Male,
    A*men,
    Spicebomb,
    Tobacco Vanille.
    All are good winter days scents that also get you compliments.

I'd suggest, as a fellow college student, that you check out Pure Malt by TM. It's really nice and non-offensive for lectures.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I'd suggest, as a fellow college student, that you check out Pure Malt by TM. It's really nice and non-offensive for lectures.
    Is there any reason you would choose Malt over the original A*Men?

With the fragrances you want you can save money instead of buying samples go in macy's, sephora, perfumania, dillards, any of those places and just sample. That way you can spray from an actual bottle to get the full effect.

I'm not sure I'd recommend any of those scents for everyday wear. London has a mature vibe, and the others seem better for evening wear. A few worth checking out would be DSquared2 Potion, Carlos Santana for Men, and Hugo Boss in Motion.

Is there any reason you would choose Malt over the original A*Men?
    I haven't tried the original A*Men, but I hear it is a LOT louder and projects a LOT more, which is bad for a classroom. I feel like I'd be "the cologne guy."

I own both TM PM and Angel. Angel should not be worn in the classroom. Like many, I follow the, "Wear it whenever/wherever you want" philosophy. However, this stuff is just too loud.
    II originally thought that PM was also good for classroom wear. After wearing it outdoors for some time, I realized that it also projects loudly. It's better than Angel, for the classroom, but there are alternatives to both.
    You may like Givenchy Play Intense (just sample it at Macy's or Sephora, no need to buy a sample)
    Honestly, if you like the 4 listed, La Nuit is probably your best bet. Or go with Pure Malt but don't spray more than 2 sprays (1 being on covered skin/chest, the other exposed skin/neck, arm, etc).

You should try Dior Homme (vintage if possible)

Burberry London would be my pick...I don't think it's too mature and personally feel it could work well as a winter daily scent. I do agree that you should also check out Play Intense. It's relatively easy to find and sample in person.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    I own both TM PM and Angel. Angel should not be worn in the classroom. Like many, I follow the, "Wear it whenever/wherever you want" philosophy. However, this stuff is just too loud.
    II originally thought that PM was also good for classroom wear. After wearing it outdoors for some time, I realized that it also projects loudly. It's better than Angel, for the classroom, but there are alternatives to both.
    You may like Givenchy Play Intense (just sample it at Macy's or Sephora, no need to buy a sample)
    Honestly, if you like the 4 listed, La Nuit is probably your best bet. Or go with Pure Malt but don't spray more than 2 sprays (1 being on covered skin/chest, the other exposed skin/neck, arm, etc).
    So many choices! What I've gathered, and correct me if I'm wrong, is Angel Men and Le Male aren't everdays, more like going out/party scents, and out of the list La Nuit would probably be the decent every day? I will check out the Givenchy for sure.

Getting into this hobby is fun and all, but I don't want to be "that cologne guy" with the over the top smell, something that is good, but doesn't offend people would be ideal, which from what it sounds like, Angel men and Le Male would be too strong for class.

Also, a story like Macy's will have open bottles of almost all of these, correct? What most likely will happen is I'll go and scope out some frags, maybe get 1 or 2, but I'm going in heavily favoring getting La Nuit from the remarks.

Banned

La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent is saccharine and teeters on the feminine side.

But, try:

Zirh Ikon by Zirh - One is initially treated to a zesty lemonade. Tart and tangy lemon interplays with davona flower, with its sweetly fruity aspect, and cardamon, with its mildly spicy, anise-tinged facets. Ginger sprinkles the melange with its peppery, lemony and green character. Transitioning to the heart, the citric brew succumbs to the darker aspects of the scent. Labdanum infuses its resinous, myrhh-like and slightly leather-like facets, commingling with a raw, spicy cinnamon as well as clove buds, with their charred-wood and smokey aroma. An undercurrent of a citrusy, pine-like frankincense and earthy, green vetiver adds to the mystical aura, and flows to the base. Here, a rich amber alters the accommodating frankincense, which has come into its own, to a darker character. And, an almost creamy cedarwood intermingles with a balsamic patchouli, which imparts its earthiness coupled with camphoraceous and mossy nuances. An inviting drydown ensues. This manly composition is well blended, and challenges the domain of niche. A fall and winter scent, this spicy and dark fragrance has good projection, a 2-3 hour, scent cloud, and longevity, about 8 hours. Given its inexpensive price, it is a welcomed addition to one's fragrance wardrobe.

&

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy - Upon application, one is pleasantly treated to a refreshing duet of nectarous, mandarin tangerine and somewhat tart bergamot. Tumbling to the waiting middle, the citrus mixes with the slightly spicy and fruity pink pepper and coffee tree wood to brew a sweet, cocoa concoction, and flows to the wondrous base. Transitioning, multifaceted labdanum kidnaps the cocoa mixture and morphs the cocoa into a not unpleasant, tar-like, burnt coffee. The syrupy coffee joins with the woody vetiver, the sweet patchouli, the spicy vanilla of the tonka beans, and the soft, balsamic amyris wood to exude an awesome, mocha drydown. A delectable treat, this radiant composition has excellent longevity and very good projection.

&

I haven't tried any of the scents you mention, but nothing says "winter" to me more than Sienne l'Hiver by Eau d'Italie. For an everyday scent I think it would work -- it projects, but it's not loud. It has an olde World kinda vibe, like a rustic Christmas in an Italian villa. (Not sure if that's your kinda thing or not.) Anyways, Luckyscent.com has samples.
    Fragrance reviews and ruminations: http://romanticloner.jp22.net/wp/

I believe La Nuit is the better everyday scent out of the ones you mentioned. However, La Nuit is more of a night scent, but can definitely be worn during the day. I love wearing it anytime, because I enjoy it a lot. YSL L'homme is a better EVERYday scent, and is more versatile.

I really enjoy Givenchy Play Intense and Rochas Man, but GPI sits closer and isn't as loud.

If you are going to be in class, then just wear it appropriately. I usually use one spray, and I never go over two sprays with any cologne.

These don't make me think of winter, but are better for colder temps.

Hanae Mori HM EDP is a great winter fragrance. A beautiful hesperidic floral gourmand. affordable on fragrancex.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
    I haven't tried any of the scents you mention, but nothing says "winter" to me more than Sienne l'Hiver by Eau d'Italie. For an everyday scent I think it would work -- it projects, but it's not loud. It has an olde World kinda vibe, like a rustic Christmas in an Italian villa. (Not sure if that's your kinda thing or not.) Anyways, Luckyscent.com has samples.
    I agree with Silverfire's appreciation for Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie; my impressions follow:

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie - One is initially treated to a rush of herbal greenness. The peppery verdancy of geranium leaf intermingles with the mowed grass, tinged with cucumber, of violet leaf. A faint sweetness from rushes and fern drift in the background. Transitioning to the heart, an animalic castoreum, with its mesmerizing salty, oily, sweaty, smoky and nutty aspects, bathes the greens in an exotic, abraded-leather aura. Iris root parades it woody floralcy, while white truffle imparts its strangely elegant, sulphuric nuances. And, frankincense flaunts its balsamic and faintly mineral, mystical aromatics. Segueing to the base, an intriguing wave of petrichor gives the illusion of raindrops spashing on cobblestones, while hay casts its sweetly warm and pungent character. Guaic wood infuses its rosy and faintly smoky woodiness. And, labdanum presents its resinous nuances of ambergris and incense, as well as tar and leather. A wondrous drydown ensues. A truly masculine scent, this well-blended and high-quality composition has radiating projection and very good longevity, about 10 hours.

and,
    @ Silverfire

Just a little update for anyone thinking about these. I went and sampled Givency Play Intense, and wow. I can still smell it on the card i sprayed 16 hours ago. It's smells amazing, kind of like a more refined and less offensive but deeper scent that those Abercrombie or Hollister stores give off.

Tried La Nuit as well, wasn't digging it as much as Intense, didn't seem as versatile and smelled darker, and almost sour(if that is the correct word). Maybe the dry down is better, as well as on skin.

Armani Code is another good one I liked, it's almost like Play Intense, but more grown up. For anyone with the same question I have, this may help.

I'd go with Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit.

Dior homme intense
    Paco rabbane 1 million
    Bvlgari black

Burberry London or YSL La Nuit are, during winter, good for everyday wear

I think the best choice is Burberry London. Personally i can't stand A*Men, Le Male and Nuit are ok for those whom they suit. I'd recommend Bleu de Chanel. But you'd better to believe someones more of your age than me
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

La Nuit is also a champion of garnering female compliments, if that's your thing.

i would recommend burberry london for everyday. it stays closer to the skin than the others you mentioned, which is good for the classroom setting.

as others have mentioned, sampling each fragrance is the best way to determine which one will be the best for you, because the fragrances may react differently on each person's skin.