Code of Conduct

Default Perfume evaporation.

I'm interested in how perfumes account for, under different circumstances.

For example i find that in some shops testers appear stronger than on others. I found recently that some perfumes had no definition and i tested them on a different shop and they seemed more distinguished.

Also sometimes samples given for home appear even stronger. Is it possible that they put more content on samples than on the regular bottles just to lure you into buying them?

And finally, how much does the taste subdue over the years. I have some colognes left on my bathroom shelves from 2005-2007. Would you say they'll be much different (mild/variates or otherwise) in comparison to buying them from a store today? Thing is they are my fathers and some of them are ones id like to own (Guci ph, Kouros), so if they wont be much different maybe i could use them even now.

Default Re: Perfume evaporation.

I had a sample of Versace for man, when I bought the stuff it was just another story.
    Light and exposure to air cause variations after years, sealed vaporisers avoid oxidation to the scent
    Testers, they told me, are not different from the real stuff, thesource seemed trustful

Over time, many perfumes are reformulated, so a version from 10 years ago will often be different from the current one. Usually, the older version is better. The other variable to keep in mind is damage: light and extreme heat damage perfumes, so if a perfume has been kept in sunlight, it could be off. (A bathroom shelf, as long as it is not in direct sunlight, shouldn't be a problem for 5 years, plus the Kouros bottle doesn't let the light in).

I don't think the version in tester or samples is different than the one in the bottle (although sometimes the tester could be an older batch, see above). Usually the difference in perceptions depends on circumstances. If you've been smelling many things, your nose perceives less. Higher temperatures give more oomph, and so on.

Perfume evaporation from a bottle is not an issue, unless for extremely old perfumes (and more so for dab bottles than for spray bottles that are sealed).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I don't think the version in tester or samples is different than the one in the bottle.

Perfume evaporation from a bottle is not an issue, unless for extremely old perfumes (and more so for dab bottles than for spray bottles that are sealed).

cacio
    Agree.

Thank You guys. Some additional questions.

So where are perfumes to be stored? Since sun and heat does bad, then the rule is the colder the better? Or is there a limit to how cold it can get as well? Cause you said higher temperatures give more "oomph".

Also if some of the bottles dont have their cap on, does this result in oxidation, and evaporation? Cause my Gucci pH doesn't have a cap on after all those years.

Kouros on the other hand is like this, so it never has a cap on.

Also does anyone know what happens if the contents are stirred? Like for example via transportation or other reasons, if the inside ingredients are mixed and go from one side to another.

Sorry if my questions are so weirdly specific but id like to know things in detail so that i can achieve the maximum result!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Keep away from sunlight;
    A constant, comfortable room temperature will suffice;
    As long as the atomizer is functioning properly, the cap is superfluous;
    And, unless it is vigorous shaking, a fragrance's movement should not be harmful.

But some perfumes definitely last longer than others, IMO. Some seem to go off quite quickly, while others are still good years after I bought them. And they're all stored the same way in my closet, i.e. in their packaging, inside a shoebox, and the shoebox covered with a pashmina. My Baghari seems to be good for about six months, but then it "turns", whereas Youth Dew lasts forever. So no, not evaporation, but scents do change.

Quote Originally Posted by redrose View Post
    But some perfumes definitely last longer than others, IMO. Some seem to go off quite quickly, while others are still good years after I bought them. And they're all stored the same way in my closet, i.e. in their packaging, inside a shoebox, and the shoebox covered with a pashmina. My Baghari seems to be good for about six months, but then it "turns", whereas Youth Dew lasts forever. So no, not evaporation, but scents do change.
    I have the same experience, NONE of my perfumes were stored properly at all (extremes of temperature (100+F to 40F) because there was no "normal room temperature" in my last apt.) for years, and I've never had any turn EXCEPT for a set of three all natural henna attar perfumes. They went outright RANK. I don't know what happened, but last time I opened them, the absolutely reeked and I promptly threw them out.

Other perfumes, like my Charlie Red (stored in exactly the same conditions or worse...I think it sat near a window at one point) are still OK. (Charlie might have changed a little bit but certainly not in a bad way, that I could tell.)