Code of Conduct

Arrow help me find a good OUDH...

hey folks....
    next month im visiting Saudi Arabia and Dubai...
    i want to purchase some great smelling oudh oils...
    ive heard good things about surrati and arabian oud...
    any recommendations???? duh my budget is not very high.

Default Re: help me find a good OUDH...

where are you Hedonist222?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

You may have better luck posting your question here. A number of members live or used to live in the Middle East region and should be able to give good advice.

From my modest experience - if you are looking for natural, pure, undiluted oils you are going to have a tough time finding a lot of them there.

Pure oud oils are very expensive. More than 100usd per ml (much more).

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    You may have better luck posting your question here. A number of members live or used to live in the Middle East region and should be able to give good advice.

From my modest experience - if you are looking for natural, pure, undiluted oils you are going to have a tough time finding a lot of them there.
    so this means that there are many out there???

Sorry I forgot to include the link to the Oud Social Group where you can get more advice: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?d...461&do=discuss

As for stores to check out, Abdul Samad Al Qurashi and Arabian Oud are always a good bet, although if you will be looking for bargains, you probably won't find a lot of high quality pure, unadulterated single source oils. Surrati's stuff is synthetic, so by definition their products are not what you are looking for if you want "oud". Ajmal has some oud oils but to me they are overpriced and smell blended at best (most likely diluted too).

If you absolutely want to get pure ouds of high quality you don't need need to go to Dubai or KSA, but instead get something from the trusted internet sellers like Oriscent (now renamed to Ensar Oud), AgarAura, Oudimentary, RK Sons or Oudline.

Sorry I forgot to include the link to the Oud Social Group where you can get more advice: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?d...461&do=discuss

As for stores to check out, Abdul Samad Al Qurashi and Arabian Oud are always a good bet, although if you will be looking for bargains, you probably won't find a lot of high quality pure, unadulterated single source oils. Surrati's stuff is synthetic, so by definition their products are not what you are looking for if you want "oud". Ajmal has some oud oils but to me they are overpriced and smell blended at best (most likely diluted too).

If you absolutely want to get pure ouds of high quality you don't need need to go to Dubai or KSA, but instead get something from the trusted internet sellers like Oriscent (now renamed to Ensar Oud), AgarAura, Oudimentary, RK Sons or Oudline.
    thnx bro for ur help... i will definitely visit the brands u have named and will also try the internet sellers....

Hi Alfarom

As said above.
    Small budget and dehn Oud is not a good combination.

But pass by Abdul Samad AlQurashi and Ajmal and Rasasi.

Just keep in mind, if costs approx less than $300 per approx 12ml then it's not very good.

No elitism here or anything. Authentic dehn Oud just costs a lot. That's the way it is.

for swap/sale:

The bottom line is, you are going there, and you have a nose with you.
    Smell as often as you can. ASAQ Arabian Oud and Ajmal are companies I like. Ajmal also has really good non-oud stuff. Try them as well. Good stuff from Al Qurashi costs a lot, moderately priced ones are usually mediocre and has much cheaper alternatives -IMO. But you will be there, so you may get a dab of kalakassi on your arms even if you can't afford it.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Hedonist222 and Saripatates are the ones to listen to on this!

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Thanks for acknowledging that

for swap/sale:

NASforever, you can get good Oud for lower prices but they are other mixed with oth ingredients to make it a "mukhalat" which means mixture or simply lower grade Oud.
    HVing not indulged in premium grade Oud, you may be satisfied with the entry levek Oud. I suggest you state y our budget and smell within it. Smelling the premium grade will definitely affect your impressions on the entry grade, in a bad way lol.

for swap/sale:

@ Igor - on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being top notch, how would you rate oudh from rk sons and Oriscent

i have a oudh form rk sons which is insanely potent in the nicest way. i just dab a tiny pin point on my chest and it keeps going forever... however, it has a barnyard smell to it.. is this common with all oudhs...?

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Thanks for the praise, however, while I've been appreciating and wearing oud for a long while, Igor01 and the guys in Oud Lovers Group are true geeks. I just like oud :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    @ Igor - on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being top notch, how would you rate oudh from rk sons and Oriscent

i have a oudh form rk sons which is insanely potent in the nicest way. i just dab a tiny pin point on my chest and it keeps going forever... however, it has a barnyard smell to it.. is this common with all oudhs...?
    Jenson,
    RK Sons' is actually not quite as potent as most Grade A oudh oils are. Most oudh oils (especially aged) you can't wash off in one bath, and I am not exaggerating.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

well i was not expecting it to be this way...
    my budget was max $250 :s
    i think i shud increase my budget...
    neways bottom line is that in my budget i will only find mukhalats....
    but are these mukhlats good?? i mean are they they imitating the oudh or what..????
    well ive tried many montales and i really like them...
    and considering the fact that they also may not use pure oudh oils they still smell amazing to me...
    so if i may not find pure oudh oil im good with mukhlats or blends...
    can u recommend me some????
    and there are many oudhs like malaysian oudh, indian oudh, combodian oudh...etc
    which one is the best???
    thnx hedonist222 and sarıpatates

As I suggested, walk into the store, state your budget exaggerated by approx 15% and ask to see whats in that range.
    Smell then select what appeals to you and then ask for a discount. They'll usually give from 5 to 15 %.

I am personally not fan of mukhalats. I prefer pure oud oil.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    Thanks for the praise, however, while I've been appreciating and wearing oud for a long while, Igor01 and the guys in Oud Lovers Group are true geeks. I just like oud :P
    Of course!!!

I've never been in the gulf, but I think that oils are sold by quantity, so if you are happy with buying 1/4 tola (3ml) instead of 1 tola (12 ml), I assume you can get something good.

And then, some synthetic reconstructions can be decent and inexpensive. For instance, I have tried the Swiss Arabian mukhallat malaki that, while nowhere remotely comparable to pure oud, gives a good impression of a oud-rose-saffron mix, and this for $30. But then other syntetic reconstructions can be obnoxiously bad (a bad purchase of mine: ASAQ mukhallat al atoor). So, as hedonist was saying, just go and smell.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post

I am afraid I cannot answer your question in a way that will be of much help to you, Jenson. Generally speaking, Oriscent has the widest variety of different oud scent profiles and their oils' quality is very hard to beat or even match. Most of my personal favourites are from Oriscent but since I (much like everyone else) have my own preferences I don't necessarily enjoy all their stuff equally. Their Borneos are, in my opinion, absolutely unmatched, you just can't find anything like Borneo Kinam or Borneo 3000 anywhere, at any price. Their (now sold out) Kyara LTD and Royal Kinam are simply divine, way off the 1-10 scale. Kyara Koutan is also uber-beautiful and should get absolutly stunning when it ages a year or two. At the same time I am not a huge fan of their Cambodis which to me are overpriced and uinspired compared to say ASAQ's Thaqeel or even the much cheaper KSSS from Oudimentary.

The barnyard note you perceive in RK's oud is common to Indian oils with their staple (no pun intended) animalic or sometimes fecal aroma. I don't dig Indian ouds generally speaking, so the only three Indian oils that I bought were ASAQ Kalakassi and AgarAura's Indian Spice and Purana. Oriscent's Nuh is very good too but I don't wear Hindi's enough to justify another bottle of oil that will not see much use. RK's oils (they are all Indian) are of varying quality and appeal to me, their Double Super had varying degrees of barnyardiness across the different batches all of which were too much for me. The Kohinoor was much nicer but I much prefer a woodier, drier Hindi scent profile, like Kalakassi.

So, as you see, any ratings I can provide on Oriscent or others would range wildly across the different geographical groups and be completely arbitrary (i.e. useless to others). I am sure those who don't shy away from barnyard note are much better positioned to give a meaningful feedback on Indian oils from Oriscent or others. Because of my tastes, I wouldn't be cought dead wearing Oriscent's Assam Organic or China Exclusive, or even such highly acclaimed masterpieces of the Indian genre as their Sulaiman and Mostafa. I much prefer their softer and "prettier" oils like Kyara LTD, Kyara Koutan, Royal Kinam, Borneo Kinam, Burmese Kinam, Borneo 3000, Blue Brunei and Sheikh's Borneo. I guess different people will have different views on what a good oud is, my own theory is simple - whatever smells good to you and what you are comfortable about wearing in public (and can afford) is a good oud

Sorry for such an opinionated and unhelpful reply.

Quote Originally Posted by NASforever View Post
    well i was not expecting it to be this way...
    my budget was max $250 :s
    i think i shud increase my budget...
    neways bottom line is that in my budget i will only find mukhalats....
    but are these mukhlats good?? i mean are they they imitating the oudh or what..????
    well ive tried many montales and i really like them...
    and considering the fact that they also may not use pure oudh oils they still smell amazing to me...
    so if i may not find pure oudh oil im good with mukhlats or blends...
    can u recommend me some????
    and there are many oudhs like malaysian oudh, indian oudh, combodian oudh...etc
    which one is the best???
    thnx hedonist222 and sarıpatates
    NASforever, you may want to up your budget somewhat, $250 won't get you much if pure high quality ouds is what you're after. But whatever the result is, you will have a great opportunity to sample different things. If you drop by Arabian Oud, check out two of their mukhallats: King Fahed and Prince Diamini. At ASAQ, try to sample Thaqeel Cambodian oud (the old pre-2010 version if they still have it) and Kalakassi Indian oud. Also, keep in mind that you most likely won't find anything there even remotely close to the high quality Borneo ouds you can buy from Oriscent or AgarAura and absolutely nothing like Oriscent's Kinam's and Kyara's.

There are many different kinds of oud, if you want to read up a bit more on the different scent profiles and different sellers, check out these threads from a few months ago: click, click, click

Good luck with your oudventure and please share your impressions when you're back!

Igor, Thank you very much for taking your time out. i enjoyed reading your review.

My fears put to rest. i just cant stand the fecal/barnyard smell. why would anyone want to smell like that..maybe skin chemistry plays a role? or maybe i need to try and apply as little as a pin tip to see if it's any better. but i doubt it'll impress me.

one of these days i would really want to samplethe borneo's and kinam. will do for sure.

I am afraid I cannot answer your question in a way that will be of much help to you, Jenson. Generally speaking, Oriscent has the widest variety of different oud scent profiles and their oils' quality is very hard to beat or even match. Most of my personal favourites are from Oriscent but since I (much like everyone else) have my own preferences I don't necessarily enjoy all their stuff equally. Their Borneos are, in my opinion, absolutely unmatched, you just can't find anything like Borneo Kinam or Borneo 3000 anywhere, at any price. Their (now sold out) Kyara LTD and Royal Kinam are simply divine, way off the 1-10 scale. Kyara Koutan is also uber-beautiful and should get absolutly stunning when it ages a year or two. At the same time I am not a huge fan of their Cambodis which to me are overpriced and uinspired compared to say ASAQ's Thaqeel or even the much cheaper KSSS from Oudimentary.

The barnyard note you perceive in RK's oud is common to Indian oils with their staple (no pun intended) animalic or sometimes fecal aroma. I don't dig Indian ouds generally speaking, so the only three Indian oils that I bought were ASAQ Kalakassi and AgarAura's Indian Spice and Purana. Oriscent's Nuh is very good too but I don't wear Hindi's enough to justify another bottle of oil that will not see much use. RK's oils (they are all Indian) are of varying quality and appeal to me, their Double Super had varying degrees of barnyardiness across the different batches all of which were too much for me. The Kohinoor was much nicer but I much prefer a woodier, drier Hindi scent profile, like Kalakassi.

So, as you see, any ratings I can provide on Oriscent or others would range wildly across the different geographical groups and be completely arbitrary (i.e. useless to others). I am sure those who don't shy away from barnyard note are much better positioned to give a meaningful feedback on Indian oils from Oriscent or others. Because of my tastes, I wouldn't be cought dead wearing Oriscent's Assam Organic or China Exclusive, or even such highly acclaimed masterpieces of the Indian genre as their Sulaiman and Mostafa. I much prefer their softer and "prettier" oils like Kyara LTD, Kyara Koutan, Royal Kinam, Borneo Kinam, Burmese Kinam, Borneo 3000, Blue Brunei and Sheikh's Borneo. I guess different people will have different views on what a good oud is, my own theory is simple - whatever smells good to you and what you are comfortable about wearing in public (and can afford) is a good oud

Sorry for such an opinionated and unhelpful reply.

NASforever, you may want to up your budget somewhat, $250 won't get you much if pure high quality ouds is what you're after. But whatever the result is, you will have a great opportunity to sample different things. If you drop by Arabian Oud, check out two of their mukhallats: King Fahed and Prince Diamini. At ASAQ, try to sample Thaqeel Cambodian oud (the old pre-2010 version if they still have it) and Kalakassi Indian oud. Also, keep in mind that you most likely won't find anything there even remotely close to the high quality Borneo ouds you can buy from Oriscent or AgarAura and absolutely nothing like Oriscent's Kinam's and Kyara's.

There are many different kinds of oud, if you want to read up a bit more on the different scent profiles and different sellers, check out these threads from a few months ago: click, click, click

Good luck with your oudventure and please share your impressions when you're back!
    thnx bro for ur kind help...
    i'll definitely try to sample different kinds of oils availible and try to pick the best one...
    yeah im just trying to increase my budget but if im not able to do so i'll buy less mls rather than 12ml or tola wotever its is....
    Arabian Oudh has so many good feed backs i'll def visit them...
    for sure man i'll let u noe when i'll come back

Sorry to derail a little from the topic. I would like to know of any great oud based frags? Something with no rose coz I have Black Aoud already.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Sorry to derail a little from the topic. I would like to know of any great oud based frags? Something with no rose coz I have Black Aoud already.
    Volley2 have u sampled oud27 by le labo and Tom Ford Oud Wood...?
    in oud wood there is no rose but rose wood if u are able to detect that... while oud 27 is a mixture of oud and incense...M7 by YSL is also a great oud frag if u like the medicinal touch

Banned

Igor01 and the relevant Oud Social Group have a depth of knowledge that would, indeed, be useful.