Code of Conduct

Exclamation L'instant de Guerlain Extreme. Blind.. ?

Hey guys, so I'm currently looking for a signature scent for the winter to compliment my ever growing wardrobe. I had my mind set on L'instant de Guerlain Pour Homme, and found it for relatively cheap ($50) but then I saw reviews on the Extreme version and how good it was.

I have no access to the Extreme version in my area, but absolutely love the original. Is it worth blind buying for an extra $30 ? and what exactly are they different in ?
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

Default Re: L'instant de Guerlain Extreme. Blind.. ?

LIDGE has better longevity and is more gourmand because cocoa note is pronounced. IMO its one of safest blind buys if you like sweet woody scents.

There was also thread not a long time ago that covered differences between LIDG and LIDGE. You can find it here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/311263-lidg-vs-lidge
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

If you like the original and do not mind the cocoa/vanilla been amped up then this is a very safe blind buy, the odds are with you young skywalker.lol

IMO Yes.

Yes, go for it.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I had also purchased L.I.D.G.E. as a blind buy because it was very difficult to find. I always described LIDGE as a mature, gourmand fragrance. A sophisticated gourmand. It does last longer than the regular version and you must be comfortable with the cocoa/vanilla notes in order to really enjoy this one. I say go for it.

Since you like the original I would say full steam ahead on this one. As said before its all about the rich cocoa

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I had also purchased L.I.D.G.E. as a blind buy because it was very difficult to find. I always described LIDGE as a mature, gourmand fragrance. A sophisticated gourmand. It does last longer than the regular version and you must be comfortable with the cocoa/vanilla notes in order to really enjoy this one. I say go for it.
    This^^^^^^^

Only if you like patchouli.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

I wore it yesterday. If you like LIDG, then you should definitely like LIDGE. I'd pay to get the extreme. It's a wonderful, classy scent. However, I don't know that it would be in the category of "signature scents". I don't think of gourmands as an everyday fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Worst case scenario: You don't like it so you sell it on eBay for a profit. Seriously, they usually go for over $100 on eBay so I think you are safe.

Of course yesssssssss!

I like LIDG and could wear it, i find it OK or even a bit better than ok, but recently ordered a sample of LIDGE, and it was absolutely NOT my cup of tee. Imo quite different from from Lidg, much sweeter,to my taste too sweet - unwearable.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I like LIDG, but don't like LIDGE. Wait a week or so and I'll send you a sample of LIDGE.

LIDGE is a bit less versatile on me.

Gorgeous fragrance that won't disappoint. Especially if you love the EdT version.
    The EdP beats it by far though.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    Gorgeous fragrance that won't disappoint. Especially if you love the EdT version.
    The EdP beats it by far though.
    I didn't know there was an EdT version. Maybe the people with the EdT version are the ones saying it is too sweet. I don't get that at all with the EdP version, it's fantastic!

Basenotes Plus

I say yes!
    I was born to shoot guns and smell good doin it!

Shane "The Bopper" Stagg

If you like the original, I say yes! I'm hoping I can find a bottle myself around Christmas time.

I bought it blind after studying it out a lot, and, unfortunately, it did disappoint. Not that it's not a great fragrance, it's just that people describe it as a sweet, cocoa gourmand, and to me it is definitely not sweet and it's not all about the cocoa, and it's definitely not gourmand. It's a STRONG fragrance and the cocoa is far from sweet thus it does not come across as a gourmand to me. To me, gourmand has a definite food vibe, LIDGE doesn't use the cocoa in a foody way, it blends with the spices and woods in a way that almost makes it smell more woody to me. AGAIN, I repeat, I'm not saying that it's not a great frag, it is, and it definitely smells quality, but I just don't feel that the way that people tend to describe it is on par. I really wanted to like it, but it wasn't for me. Luckily, because it is so famed and sought after, I was able to swap it super fast.

So, I guess that it is a safe blind buy...not because I think that it's impossible to dislike, or feel it's not for you...it's safe because if you don't like it so much then you will easily be able to swap it.

I'm in the minority who feel the edt is superior. The edt projects better, lasts longer and is a brighter scent on my skin. The edp is dense, flat and sits quietly on me. I just sold my edp on eBay, no regrets. My edt is still upstairs on my dresser.

I'm about to swap mine for Creed MI, didn't care for it at all.