Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tom Ford Noir

Default Tom Ford Noir

Wow this has to be a joke. It's almost offensively sweet. Charging any more than $5 for this is robbery. Tom, I expected more, bro.

Default Re: Tom Ford Noir

I'm not to keen on it but its far from awful just generic.

The girls in SpaceNK here love it to death. But they think its a feminine fragrance and are all wearing it.
    DONNA

Tried it - like most from this line it's a competent, commercial release that will appeal to lots of people but on a bad day I might call it cynical and overpriced like pretty well all of them. It's not actually bad, just unnecessary

I bought a bottle of this because I really liked it when I tested it, but I'm not liking it nearly as much on repeated wearings. For me it's not the sweetness that's the problem, but rather the dryness of it. Also, there are some wearings where I get a vomity note, similar to what I (and others) get from 100% Love.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Thumbs up Re: Tom Ford Noir

I have tried it and IMHO it is too generic. I do not intent to buy a bottle
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I find it to be feminine and sweet. Would not purchase a bottle but would not go so far as to say it is a flop.
    Last edited by senore01; 6th January 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Power Where You Need It

I guess unncessary is the right word.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Shalimar for men?

I've seen this compared frequently to Habit Rouge or Shalimar, but I just don't see it. Of course all three have a kind of powdery vanilla sweetness in common, but the peppers and other spices really make Noir quite different, to my nose at least.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

It's very Shalimar-esque to my nose. I'm sniffing it this very moment.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Please indulge me. I Am Guessing Here Tom Ford (the Company) conducted a poll to find out which was the 3rd or 4th best selling Private Line frag (we dont want to mess around too much with our top exclusives, do we?). Found out (or decided) it was Noir de Noir. TF then decided to increase future cashflow by taking NdN mainstream: water down the formula, add a bit here, remove a lot there and, viola, this seemingly unnecessary new juice called Tom Ford Noir.

Fantasy switch toggled off, and while not intending to start a new round of GIT/Cool Water aggro, my first impression when i sprayed Noir to the back of my hand (still is now, several hours later) was that Noir smells like NdN. Too close to ignore. And i own and know NdN. I thought it was just the top notes, but the heart/dry-down seem to have sustained the theme of the Private Line template, albeit in a slightly screechy, watered down manner.

On its own merits, Noir is a good release. If i did not have NdN i would have bought Noir on the spot. I do not agree that it smells generic. It has a superior template and represents it well. It has not ended up as a fleeting scent on my skin 6 hours after just one spray to the back of my hand. It has not evolved dramatically, true, but i still smell what was attractive about it (and NdN). Noir will sell in droves, no matter how much we trash it here, and it deserves to sell well.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

I support any release that gets the mainstream perfume consumer to buy something that is, by normal standards (not ours), atypical. For the average Joe, who probably wouldn't look at or know about Noir de Noir or Habit Rouge, Tom Ford Noir is a probably an olfactory stretch, but not too much so. It will still be successful, which will encourage future releases slightly outside the norm...baby steps. I really respect Tom Ford as a fragrance house pushing the industry in this direction while being successful.

Anyway, for the reasons above, I probably won't buy it, but I hope it does well.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Please indulge me. I Am Guessing Here Tom Ford (the Company) conducted a poll to find out which was the 3rd or 4th best selling Private Line frag (we dont want to mess around too much with our top exclusives, do we?). Found out (or decided) it was Noir de Noir. TF then decided to increase future cashflow by taking NdN mainstream: water down the formula, add a bit here, remove a lot there and, viola, this seemingly unnecessary new juice called Tom Ford Noir.
    I do not get any similarity at all between NdN and Noir.
    Splits!

Creed GIT, Clive Christian 1872 & X For Men --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...-International

Noir smells *nothing* like Noir de Noir.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    I do not get any similarity at all between NdN and Noir.
    Nor do I.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of Noir. Just like I'm not a fan of Tom Ford (standard), Grey Vetiver or Extreme.

I have it, I like it.

Smells very similar to the current version of Habit Rouge EdT.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I like it a lot, but it's not amazing or a must-have.

I like it, but I don't get the "noir" designation. I get a dry, pleasant, white wine accord.

I really like it.

I really like it too, but had it a pre-released and decanted into Shalimar EDP bottle. Awesome stuff for winter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I like it a lot, but it's not amazing or a must-have.
    This is pretty much where I've settled on it. Glad to wear it occasionally.

Finally purchased a full bottle, after several sampling sessions. Strikes me as highly versatile, complex, and constructed with high quality ingredients. Plus, the packaging is beautiful. Somewhat reasonably priced for the quality. To BNers who sniffed it once or twice and gave up: try again. It's one of the better mainstream releases of the past few months. Much more going on there than you might have thought at first sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I'm not a fan of Noir.
    Nor am I.

To me, it smells like baby blue jeans with an added B.O note. I'll stick to the private blend line.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Finally purchased a full bottle, after several sampling sessions. Strikes me as highly versatile, complex, and constructed with high quality ingredients. Plus, the packaging is beautiful. Somewhat reasonably priced for the quality. To BNers who sniffed it once or twice and gave up: try again. It's one of the better mainstream releases of the past few months. Much more going on there than you might have thought at first sniff.
    I totally agree with this and I got my full bottle too!

I'm not a fan yet, but I never give up on a fragrance before I wear it a few times over a few months. And since I generally like Tom Ford's scents, I'm definitely going to try it again.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Two Words : Parma Violets
    I happen to like Parma Violets

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I support any release that gets the mainstream perfume consumer to buy something that is, by normal standards (not ours), atypical. For the average Joe, who probably wouldn't look at or know about Noir de Noir or Habit Rouge, Tom Ford Noir is a probably an olfactory stretch, but not too much so. It will still be successful, which will encourage future releases slightly outside the norm...baby steps. I really respect Tom Ford as a fragrance house pushing the industry in this direction while being successful.

Anyway, for the reasons above, I probably won't buy it, but I hope it does well.
    What he said ^
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle