Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tom Ford Noir

Default Tom Ford Noir

Wow this has to be a joke. It's almost offensively sweet. Charging any more than $5 for this is robbery. Tom, I expected more, bro.

Default Re: Tom Ford Noir

I'm not to keen on it but its far from awful just generic.

The girls in SpaceNK here love it to death. But they think its a feminine fragrance and are all wearing it.
    DONNA

Tried it - like most from this line it's a competent, commercial release that will appeal to lots of people but on a bad day I might call it cynical and overpriced like pretty well all of them. It's not actually bad, just unnecessary

I bought a bottle of this because I really liked it when I tested it, but I'm not liking it nearly as much on repeated wearings. For me it's not the sweetness that's the problem, but rather the dryness of it. Also, there are some wearings where I get a vomity note, similar to what I (and others) get from 100% Love.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Thumbs up Re: Tom Ford Noir

I have tried it and IMHO it is too generic. I do not intent to buy a bottle
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I find it to be feminine and sweet. Would not purchase a bottle but would not go so far as to say it is a flop.
    Last edited by senore01; 6th January 2013 at 10:06 PM.

I guess unncessary is the right word.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Shalimar for men?

I've seen this compared frequently to Habit Rouge or Shalimar, but I just don't see it. Of course all three have a kind of powdery vanilla sweetness in common, but the peppers and other spices really make Noir quite different, to my nose at least.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

It's very Shalimar-esque to my nose. I'm sniffing it this very moment.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Please indulge me. I Am Guessing Here Tom Ford (the Company) conducted a poll to find out which was the 3rd or 4th best selling Private Line frag (we dont want to mess around too much with our top exclusives, do we?). Found out (or decided) it was Noir de Noir. TF then decided to increase future cashflow by taking NdN mainstream: water down the formula, add a bit here, remove a lot there and, viola, this seemingly unnecessary new juice called Tom Ford Noir.

Fantasy switch toggled off, and while not intending to start a new round of GIT/Cool Water aggro, my first impression when i sprayed Noir to the back of my hand (still is now, several hours later) was that Noir smells like NdN. Too close to ignore. And i own and know NdN. I thought it was just the top notes, but the heart/dry-down seem to have sustained the theme of the Private Line template, albeit in a slightly screechy, watered down manner.

On its own merits, Noir is a good release. If i did not have NdN i would have bought Noir on the spot. I do not agree that it smells generic. It has a superior template and represents it well. It has not ended up as a fleeting scent on my skin 6 hours after just one spray to the back of my hand. It has not evolved dramatically, true, but i still smell what was attractive about it (and NdN). Noir will sell in droves, no matter how much we trash it here, and it deserves to sell well.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I support any release that gets the mainstream perfume consumer to buy something that is, by normal standards (not ours), atypical. For the average Joe, who probably wouldn't look at or know about Noir de Noir or Habit Rouge, Tom Ford Noir is a probably an olfactory stretch, but not too much so. It will still be successful, which will encourage future releases slightly outside the norm...baby steps. I really respect Tom Ford as a fragrance house pushing the industry in this direction while being successful.

Anyway, for the reasons above, I probably won't buy it, but I hope it does well.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Please indulge me. I Am Guessing Here Tom Ford (the Company) conducted a poll to find out which was the 3rd or 4th best selling Private Line frag (we dont want to mess around too much with our top exclusives, do we?). Found out (or decided) it was Noir de Noir. TF then decided to increase future cashflow by taking NdN mainstream: water down the formula, add a bit here, remove a lot there and, viola, this seemingly unnecessary new juice called Tom Ford Noir.
    I do not get any similarity at all between NdN and Noir.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Noir smells *nothing* like Noir de Noir.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    I do not get any similarity at all between NdN and Noir.
    Nor do I.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of Noir. Just like I'm not a fan of Tom Ford (standard), Grey Vetiver or Extreme.

I have it, I like it.

Smells very similar to the current version of Habit Rouge EdT.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I like it a lot, but it's not amazing or a must-have.

I like it, but I don't get the "noir" designation. I get a dry, pleasant, white wine accord.

I really like it.

I really like it too, but had it a pre-released and decanted into Shalimar EDP bottle. Awesome stuff for winter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I like it a lot, but it's not amazing or a must-have.
    This is pretty much where I've settled on it. Glad to wear it occasionally.

Finally purchased a full bottle, after several sampling sessions. Strikes me as highly versatile, complex, and constructed with high quality ingredients. Plus, the packaging is beautiful. Somewhat reasonably priced for the quality. To BNers who sniffed it once or twice and gave up: try again. It's one of the better mainstream releases of the past few months. Much more going on there than you might have thought at first sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I'm not a fan of Noir.
    Nor am I.

To me, it smells like baby blue jeans with an added B.O note. I'll stick to the private blend line.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Finally purchased a full bottle, after several sampling sessions. Strikes me as highly versatile, complex, and constructed with high quality ingredients. Plus, the packaging is beautiful. Somewhat reasonably priced for the quality. To BNers who sniffed it once or twice and gave up: try again. It's one of the better mainstream releases of the past few months. Much more going on there than you might have thought at first sniff.
    I totally agree with this and I got my full bottle too!

I'm not a fan yet, but I never give up on a fragrance before I wear it a few times over a few months. And since I generally like Tom Ford's scents, I'm definitely going to try it again.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Two Words : Parma Violets
    I happen to like Parma Violets

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I support any release that gets the mainstream perfume consumer to buy something that is, by normal standards (not ours), atypical. For the average Joe, who probably wouldn't look at or know about Noir de Noir or Habit Rouge, Tom Ford Noir is a probably an olfactory stretch, but not too much so. It will still be successful, which will encourage future releases slightly outside the norm...baby steps. I really respect Tom Ford as a fragrance house pushing the industry in this direction while being successful.

Anyway, for the reasons above, I probably won't buy it, but I hope it does well.
    What he said ^
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I find the marketing of scents like this funny right now. Granted, I haven't tested this yet but if you look at many magazine lists of men's fragrances, this shows up. They basically give the ad spiel on what it's supposed to smell like. After hearing reviews here it reinforces that these companies pay bucks to get on the lists and that most of the people making the lists probably didn't smell many of them.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sound Scents

I first tried this only on a test strip at Sephora last week and it really did not smell bad at all. My first thought was "Why is everyone hating on this stuff so much?". It did not smell innovative at all, but I thought on paper it did smell good... Well, I ordered a sample of it to try on skin at home and now I can see where the disdain is coming from. On skin Noir smells just like slightly violet floral laced baby powder/baby oil. What a gargantuan waste of money...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Is it fashionable amongst the elite to 'hate' on this juice? I have sampled and worn Noir, as well as Noir de Noir, Habit Rouge and many others considered to be in the higher echelons of quality and I think Noir stands up very well indeed. I find it deliciously complex, dark and masculine. I'd actually take it over NdN and HR without any hesitation.

Actually, I might take Noir de Noir, sell it and buy Noir, apply it liberally and take my missus out with the change because she loves it too.
    Last edited by voodoodanny; 6th January 2013 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Is it fashionable amongst the elite to 'hate' on this juice? I have sampled and worn Noir, as well as Noir de Noir, Habit Rouge and many others considered to be in the higher echelons of quality and I think Noir stands up very well indeed. I find it deliciously complex, dark and masculine. I'd actually take it over NdN and HR without any hesitation.

Actually, I might take Noir de Noir, sell it and buy Noir, apply it liberally and take my missus out with the change because she loves it too.
    If it had been made by Creed, everyone would say how wonderful it was and we would be treated to endless threads comparing batch numbers

Unfortunately, it's made by Estee Lauder and considered unworthy.

I like it.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post

Well said! It's a very high quality scent. It's just the usual rampant snobbery in here.

Yes I like it too. Anyway I think I can put the 'Noir Extreme' rumour to rest (which admittedly I started ). I recently returned to the aforementioned John Lewis branch to quiz another SA; there was some BS about it maybe being stocked in London but another SA said the Extreme probably referred to TF Extreme and for some reason both prices were displayed on the same sticker. Sorry folks!

Basenotes Plus

I have it and like it very much. I think the name matches what's inside the bottle. Dark and masculine. I get a similarity to Extreme which I also like.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Don't know if this will be of interest to anyone (indeed, I don't actually know how true it will turn out to be!), but an SA in London told me recently that this will soon be available as an aftershave balm. Which if true, I would buy for collection purposes at least.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post

Fantasy switch toggled off, and while not intending to start a new round of GIT/Cool Water aggro, my first impression when i sprayed Noir to the back of my hand (still is now, several hours later) was that Noir smells like NdN. Too close to ignore. And i own and know NdN. I thought it was just the top notes, but the heart/dry-down seem to have sustained the theme of the Private Line template, albeit in a slightly screechy, watered down manner.

On its own merits, Noir is a good release. If i did not have NdN i would have bought Noir on the spot. I do not agree that it smells generic. It has a superior template and represents it well. It has not ended up as a fleeting scent on my skin 6 hours after just one spray to the back of my hand. It has not evolved dramatically, true, but i still smell what was attractive about it (and NdN). Noir will sell in droves, no matter how much we trash it here, and it deserves to sell well.
    Yeah I own and love NdN so Noir smells pretty good to me, it's just not in the same league as NdN which I don't mind as it's much cheaper.

I do not find Noir de Noir and Noir to be similar in any way.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Tried it I like it almost came close to buying it a few times. But $125 or even $90 for the 1.7oz I can't pull the trigger. Maybe if it ends up at Frangrancenet with a 20% then maybe.

I initially did not like it, but since I have grown to like it much more, especially considering all the latest releases have been abysmal. It is a jicky or Shalimar for men ie Guerlinade, and yes the civet is there , blended with the florals, it gives off a powdery smell. I will buy it when I can score a 100 ml bottle for under 75-85 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    What the man said.

Nothing special, but not bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by LoPsOrange View Post
    Tried it I like it almost came close to buying it a few times. But $125 or even $90 for the 1.7oz I can't pull the trigger. Maybe if it ends up at Frangrancenet with a 20% then maybe.
    This is how I feel. I wouldn't mind adding to the collection, but it's not good enough to warrant the price

It is worth it imo. Buy a decant, it will cost around 2$ per ml, which is great considering the quality of the private blend.

It's honestly not that bad, its nothing outstanding or revolutionary, but it is a good fragrance.

Would surely get more praise and recognition though if it didn't have the Tom Ford name attached to it, such high expectations for his creations and when he releases an average one, it is seen as a disappointment.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

How different is the EDT, which has less exotic notes?

Thanks in advance.

I have TF noir EDP and find the Violet leaf very exquisite and the powderiness to be just right...very similar to NR for Him but tone down a little and bit rounder and darker then NR, and yes I sold my NR for him and have this Noir as my rainy gloomy day Scent and consider a FBW......and one of the better frags of TF signature line and admit that it has no similarities to Noir de Noir but stands in it's own pedestal.....peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

In my opinion, its sweetness and the first impression it makes on the nose borders on almost being disturbing, overpowering and averagely sweet at best, if not even downright sugary. But then, again to my nose, it tends to mellow down into something smoother and more nuanced after 30-45 minutes, showing its full potential only after the longer term drydown sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    How different is the EDT, which has less exotic notes?

Thanks in advance.
    I found the edt very similar just not as powerful. I have the edp and love it. Its a very good compliment getter for me.

It's pretty much the same as EdP, minus the opoponax, styrax & civet. Excluding those notes from the EdT, gives it a spicier feel similar to Burberry Brit for Men.

Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

I sampled it when it first was released. To my nose it did have a resemblance to Habit Rouge. Noir was sweeter to me compared to Habit Rouge.

Like most Tom Ford fragrances I've tried they smell nice but not enough for me to purchase a bottle. Sahara Noir is an exception and might be my first Tom Ford purchase.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Tried it - like most from this line it's a competent, commercial release that will appeal to lots of people but on a bad day I might call it cynical and overpriced like pretty well all of them. It's not actually bad, just unnecessary
    I can agree with this.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Save your money,just buy Dior Homme Intense smells similar to TF Noir

Quote Originally Posted by noirtomford View Post
    Save your money,just buy Dior Homme Intense smells similar to TF Noir
    Are you serious, "noir similar to DHI " you got to be joking, no by a mile! It's incredible how noses differentiate, but come on, please tell me you're joking or maybe your nose might be broken.....peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

have it and love it ...shaliman .....

Personally I don't get the resemblance to Habit Rouge. The Noir EDP and HR EDT that is.

Love Noir and think it's a great frag.

I really like Habit Rouge as well but this is much a more old school soap'ier citrus fragrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habit Rouge-lite