Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dependent

Default Re: Men That Wear Mitsouko

Mitsouko is a great fragrance, and as has been said before, life is short...too short to miss out on enjoying great experiences...like wearing Mitsouko or some of the other great fragrances you mentioned.

I doubt anyone but a 'fume-head would recognize any of these fragrances on you, and the ones who would recognize would almost certainly admire your panache for wearing such goodness.

I've only recognized a fragrance marketed to women on a man once, and it smelled fantastic on him--I was quite impressed really.

A few years back, I had boarded a plane and noticed a nice aroma from time to time. I sniffed to check if it was me. Nope. Not that good that day. After a while I realized I was smelling it each time a male flight attendant walked by. So eventually I overcame the social awkwardness of asking a guy what fragrance he was wearing. He smiled and said, "it's new". I didn't click that he was avoiding the question, so I pushed, "no, I meant what is it?" He then answered, "it's Cartier", and moved along to attend another passenger. Well, I mentally went through all the "masculine" fragrances I knew from that line: Santos, no, Pasha no, Declaration, no, Must pour Homme, no. The fragrance did seem a little familiar. Had he lied to me? Was it something else altogether? Nope, it was Le Baiser du Dragon, of which I had smelled a sample a few months before. Worked great on him, not feminine at all.

P.S. I did buy my first bottle of Mitsouko EdP this week too. I wanted to get the cool bottle in the gold box before it disappeared, replaced by reformulated material.

Basenotes Institution

Nice coincidence: I wore 'new' Eau de Toilette today, right after a lunchtime workout at the gym (two tiny sprays from a plastic decant bottle). Perfect. The other guys in the locker room didn't flinch. It just smells GOOD. End of story.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    ........Any words of Wisdom for me?.......
    Wearing them around the house won't tell you as much. You have to get out and move around, get the body temp up, be around others, etc. Shalimar smells better but my girlfriend often mistakes it for Bois du Portugal. Mitsouko's androgynous, especially the new edt. There's so much vetiver in Mitsouko I sometimes think I'd rather just wear a good vetiver fragrance. You'd be a lot better off wearing Mitsouko than most of the disinfectants made for men. Nothing smells better than vintage Mitsouko parfum.

"Mitsouko is a thing of subtle silk opulence: strength and balance and twilight. I imagine that in the Chinese opium dens, just as the opium eaters begin to lose consciousness, they perceive a similarly magical smell drifting from their pipes. If Mitsouko is not five stars, no perfume is."
    Last edited by pluran; 8th January 2013 at 03:32 AM.

Blog Entries

I have moved past any apprehensions that I had about wearing Mitsouko out in public. I am now wearing Chanel No.19, Guerlain L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Hermes Amazone, Shalimar, Chamade, Etc....I found that I am happiest wearing what I like and being myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Mitsouko is a great fragrance, and as has been said before, life is short...too short to miss out on enjoying great experiences...like wearing Mitsouko or some of the other great fragrances you mentioned.

I doubt anyone but a 'fume-head would recognize any of these fragrances on you, and the ones who would recognize would almost certainly admire your panache for wearing such goodness.

I've only recognized a fragrance marketed to women on a man once, and it smelled fantastic on him--I was quite impressed really.

A few years back, I had boarded a plane and noticed a nice aroma from time to time. I sniffed to check if it was me. Nope. Not that good that day. After a while I realized I was smelling it each time a male flight attendant walked by. So eventually I overcame the social awkwardness of asking a guy what fragrance he was wearing. He smiled and said, "it's new". I didn't click that he was avoiding the question, so I pushed, "no, I meant what is it?" He then answered, "it's Cartier", and moved along to attend another passenger. Well, I mentally went through all the "masculine" fragrances I knew from that line: Santos, no, Pasha no, Declaration, no, Must pour Homme, no. The fragrance did seem a little familiar. Had he lied to me? Was it something else altogether? Nope, it was Le Baiser du Dragon, of which I had smelled a sample a few months before. Worked great on him, not feminine at all.

P.S. I did buy my first bottle of Mitsouko EdP this week too. I wanted to get the cool bottle in the gold box before it disappeared, replaced by reformulated material.
    That's a great story! I am Glad to hear you got some Mitsouko! Good for you! She is a mysterious and wonderful frag for both men and women. Like in your story she smells totally different on a man than on a women.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Nice coincidence: I wore 'new' Eau de Toilette today, right after a lunchtime workout at the gym (two tiny sprays from a plastic decant bottle). Perfect. The other guys in the locker room didn't flinch. It just smells GOOD. End of story.
    So very true Mike. Mitsy does "just smell GOOD"!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Wearing them around the house won't tell you as much. You have to get and move around, get the body temp up, be around others, etc. Shalimar smells better but my girlfriend often mistakes it for Bois du Portugal. Mitsouko's androgynous, especially the new edt. There's so much vetiver in Mitsouko I sometimes think I'd rather just wear a good vetiver fragrance. You'd be a lot better off wearing Mitsouko than most of the disinfectants made for men. Nothing smells better than vintage Mitsouko parfum.

"Mitsouko is a thing of subtle silk opulence: strength and balance and twilight. I imagine that in the Chinese opium dens, just as the opium eaters begin to lose consciousness, they perceive a similarly magical smell drifting from their pipes. If Mitsouko is not five stars, no perfume is."
    I know what you mean. There are some terrible men's frags out today! And Mitsouko is a five star frag with such mystery and beauty. She has become my love.
    Last edited by southerngardens; 8th January 2013 at 02:47 AM.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

I have a few semi-vintage versions dating from around the 80's - couple of Extraits, Parfum de Toilette and EDT.

Wore the EDT for an evening out yesterday - superb, deep, rich mossy baritone accord that really just makes you laugh when you look at the most of the confections being foisted on young guys these days. It's not so much the fact that so much stuff is sweet or simply bland, it's just that they seem to be so mean - tightly packed little synthetic things with no sense of space. Mitsouko is expansive, it gives you room to lean back and relax and enjoy the view - these new chemical things are like the seats in economy with a 6 inch screen about a foot in front of your face.

Great analogy, Mr.R.

The main problem with the wearability of Mitsouko is that it is a chypre. Beautiful as they can be they have been out of fashion for more than 20 years now. I'd say if you are comfortable wearing old school masculine chypres you should have no problem whatsoever. I'm speaking for the Vintage EDP as I'm not familiar with the current formulation or other concentrations.