Code of Conduct
    Dependent

Default Difference of Perception and Impression - Davidoff Zino

So I've been on a Davidoff Zino kick lately as several of you guys have noticed, and I thought I'd share an anecdote with you.

I was out at a rock gig on the Sunset Strip the other night and was talking to the singer, a friend of a friend. She is about 30 yo or so. To my nose, Zino smells very old-fashioned. It doesn't have any synthetics that really scream out. I feel it could date from the 1890s, 1930s, 1950s, or 1980s (of course). I think it's almost got a grandfather-ish vibe to it. So I actually asked her if she thought it smelled like an old man.

Perhaps her impression was influenced by my look (which is hipster-rocker), but to my shock, she said that she thought it smelled hipsterish. She got the patchouli foremost, and said it was earthy.

It just really hit home how different our perceptions can be, not only in ingredients but of course (even moreso) in connotations.

It is interesting that she described it as hipster. I've never thought of hipster in terms of smell... Maybe it is the 'vintage' aspect of it.

Dependent

Default Re: Difference of Perception and Impression - Davidoff Zino

Quote Originally Posted by grid View Post
    It is interesting that she described it as hipster. I've never thought of hipster in terms of smell... Maybe it is the 'vintage' aspect of it.
    a good theory.

Personally I have never thought of Zino, which by the way is a great scent, smelled old-fashioned.

Sounds like something that was made up on the spot. If you were dressed in a tuxedo she would have said it smelled elegant and formal. My gf said it smelled "fresh" on me once.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I don't take much value in solicited comments. Also as you noted your attire and demeanor and vibe influences how one perceives your scent.

But I do agree that perception is very important and really what matters. There is no sole "this is an old man fragrance" label on any scent.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Sounds like something that was made up on the spot. If you were dressed in a tuxedo she would have said it smelled elegant and formal. My gf said it smelled "fresh" on me once.
    I think the herbs and citrus are fresh . . .

I know I should have elaborated- Im not saying it could never be perceived as fresh, but that is a few down on the list for me as far as describing it.
    If she is aware of frags that most other guys wear then I think describing Zino as hipsterish is pretty accurate. Not really the way it smells, just wearing that sort of frag is a hipster thing to do. Sort of a stretch i know......
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I perceive Zino as a scent classic enough to be suitable with the recurrently resurfacing "vintage revival/vintage trendiness" tendencies in fashion and in fragrance, yet not dated.

I have just gotten a vintage bottle & I am really loving it. I am still torn about the opening, but the vanilla sandalwood dry down is just so good. I am a skinny black haired guy also in LA, so I guess sort of hipster musician appearance wise. I am interested now to see what comments I get in my social set.
    It feels timeless/ classless to me. Just elegant. And quite the bargain too.
    Last edited by srellim1; 8th December 2012 at 03:05 AM.

For me it will remain a classic...I dont know why but I kinda find it very mysterious, I love it! especially in the colder weather.

Again, that dry down is something special. I can see the opening being off-putting to some especially if overdone, but even then the patchouli and sandalwood are present. I enjoy that the sandalwood is in the background and you can sort of chart it becoming ever more present. You can kind of see it getting closer and closer.
    Definately a classic.

Mr Depp just happens to like this stuff . That dude is one hipster if ever i saw one. Zino may be so good that it is already retro chic before its time.

Basenotes Plus

I like what Ken_Russell contributes here. It could be worn by hipsters and gentleman alike, in my opinion. Skinny jeans or a full suit. What makes it a truly outstanding scent is its uniqueness and the "dirty rose" in the heart. It does require some olfactory perspective and knowledge of scent, or it will wear you.

A word to the wise...I wear it dressed up or down and get compliments either way!

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I perceive Zino as a scent classic enough to be suitable with the recurrently resurfacing "vintage revival/vintage trendiness" tendencies in fashion and in fragrance, yet not dated.
    Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infants flesh, sweet as an oboes cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=2705928

Given this definition of hipster, her description sounds appropriate.

Excellent reading . . . for further insight/commentary on the hipster life, see this recent NY Times article:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...without-irony/

For me, Zino is one of those fragrances that "just smells good" . . .

Cheers . . . Wally

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    So I've been on a Davidoff Zino kick lately as several of you guys have noticed, and I thought I'd share an anecdote with you.

I was out at a rock gig on the Sunset Strip the other night and was talking to the singer, a friend of a friend. She is about 30 yo or so. To my nose, Zino smells very old-fashioned. It doesn't have any synthetics that really scream out. I feel it could date from the 1890s, 1930s, 1950s, or 1980s (of course). I think it's almost got a grandfather-ish vibe to it. So I actually asked her if she thought it smelled like an old man.

Perhaps her impression was influenced by my look (which is hipster-rocker), but to my shock, she said that she thought it smelled hipsterish. She got the patchouli foremost, and said it was earthy.

It just really hit home how different our perceptions can be, not only in ingredients but of course (even moreso) in connotations.
    I think it's because of the season, that Davidoff Zino kick (?) - Happened to me too. I think the adjective earthy describes well Zino. Rich patchouli frag like Zino is a great choice for a rocker style person, imo.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Never percieved Zino as hipster scent, now that's quite interesting. I always thought a hipster would smell something like St. Oliver scent, any of that line I guess, mixed with smell of cheap cigarettes and mayhaps a hint of weed. Gosh how wrong I was.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=2705928

Given this definition of hipster, her description sounds appropriate.
    Interesting read. LOVE that picture of the wine-tasting hipster in early 70s getup.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Swoboda View Post
    Excellent reading . . . for further insight/commentary on the hipster life, see this recent NY Times article:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...without-irony/
    Very opinionated! I guess that's why it was in the Opinion section.

When I smell Zino the first thing that goes through my mind is dying roses.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

My 24 year old son recently moved to Brooklyn, NY. I forwarded the NYTimes article to him for his edification and amusement as he falls loosely within these 'hipster' stereotypes.

At my advanced age, when attending live music events I will often choose a patchouli based fragrance as a tip of the hat to days gone by . . . Givenchy Gentleman for example. Hipster? No. Cheers . . . Wally

I always think of the great Seinfeld moment where Elaine refers to Kramer as 'you aging hipster dufas'.
    I can imagine Kramer as a Zino man.