Code of Conduct

Default Perfume Treasure Hunt

As I get deeper into my perfume-scented obsession, it dawned on me that since I do not have access to a bespoke service, that I should try and find a scent that contains as many of my favorite notes/accords as I can.

I need your help! I can search, but sometimes BN'ers have the best ideas.

Here goes: What would you recommend if somebody loves:

1. neroli
    2. spices: think chai tea
    3. frankinsense
    4. woods/cedar/balsam
    5. a bit of the animal
    6. orange
    7. moss/forest floor

adding:
    8. Sandalwood
    9. jasmine

Ideas?
    Last edited by KarmaLee; 4th November 2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Perfume Treasure Hunt

Have you tried Amouage Interlude Woman? It has some of the notes you listed. It's notes are bergamot, grapefruit, ginger, tagete, frankincense, rose absolute, orange blossom, nut, kiwi, coffee, honey, opoponax, vanilla, benzoin, amber, sandalwood, agarwood, oakmoss, leather, tonka bean and musk. This perfume is really interesting, different from other Amouages. At first I wasn't very taken with it, it reminded me of my piano teachers house, but the more I think about Interlude, the more I change my mind on it. It would be worth testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Have you tried Amouage Interlude Woman? It has some of the notes you listed. It's notes are bergamot, grapefruit, ginger, tagete, frankincense, rose absolute, orange blossom, nut, kiwi, coffee, honey, opoponax, vanilla, benzoin, amber, sandalwood, agarwood, oakmoss, leather, tonka bean and musk. This perfume is really interesting, different from other Amouages. At first I wasn't very taken with it, it reminded me of my piano teachers house, but the more I think about Interlude, the more I change my mind on it. It would be worth testing.
    No, I have never smelled this one, but yes, the notes sound very intriguing. After I get some ideas from this post, I am going to order samples of all suggested!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Kiliwia, thanks for pointing out about the piano. Yes, you so got it: old pianos (two more old pianos for me are Cabaret by Gres and Gucci 3). I am getting me a FB when I can, Interlude is gentle on this skin.

Karma, have you tried my signature Jean Couturier Coriandre?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Kiliwia, thanks for pointing out about the piano. Yes, you so got it: old pianos (two more old pianos for me are Cabaret by Gres and Gucci 3). I am getting me a FB when I can, Interlude is gentle on this skin.

Karma, have you tried my signature Jean Couturier Coriandre?
    No, Twolf, I have not tried your signature, but am adding it to my list. This is fun!
    W. Somerset Maugham

There's a lot of Aromatics Elixir in these notes, but obviously you're thinking something else. The special edition remained much more into the balsamic, resinous part, while the standard edition goes into the woody patch part more quickly.

Otherwise, the profile suggests Amouage or Lutens. I haven not smelled Interlude. Not sure about Lutens, I'd say El Attarine perhaps (big spicy floral).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    There's a lot of Aromatics Elixir in these notes, but obviously you're thinking something else. The special edition remained much more into the balsamic, resinous part, while the standard edition goes into the woody patch part more quickly.

Otherwise, the profile suggests Amouage or Lutens. I haven not smelled Interlude. Not sure about Lutens, I'd say El Attarine perhaps (big spicy floral).

cacio
    I really do like Aromatics E. and have the special edition. I might try layering that with some neroli. Adding a few notes to the original post.
    W. Somerset Maugham

You might want to try Jo Loves... Green Orange & Coriander. It's a lovely zesty orange with a lot of spicy coriander.

For orange - my favourite is Parfum d'Empire Azemour les Orangers. The most beautiful and realistic orange in my opinion.

Oakmoss- also from Pd'E Iskander but Guerlain Coriolan is also amazing - discontinued, but easy to find online.

Neroli, oh I love neroli. Atelier Cologne Grand Neroli is lovely, but short lived. Serge Lutens Fleurs de Citronnier is nice, clean and soapy. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino is excellent, cold, refreshing with amazing longevity

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    You might want to try Jo Loves... Green Orange & Coriander. It's a lovely zesty orange with a lot of spicy coriander.

For orange - my favourite is Parfum d'Empire Azemour les Orangers. The most beautiful and realistic orange in my opinion.

Oakmoss- also from Pd'E Iskander but Guerlain Coriolan is also amazing - discontinued, but easy to find online.

Neroli, oh I love neroli. Atelier Cologne Grand Neroli is lovely, but short lived. Serge Lutens Fleurs de Citronnier is nice, clean and soapy. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino is excellent, cold, refreshing with amazing longevity
    I am a Tom Ford fan most times, so that Neroli might make it to my list for sure. Coriander and I have a mixed relationship, but need to try it more. Guerlain Coriolan...another Guerlain. I just need to find a defunct store that carried them ALL and wants to give them to me. It is THE house I cannot live without.

Have never had access to a Serge Lutens but planning a list to order samples.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Your list made me think of Mona di Orio's Nuit Noire.

The first things that came into my head were
    Un Crime Exotique for the chai tea
    and
    Chypre Rouge for warm, syrupy spices, jasmine, mossy/forest floor (and jammy fruits)

Just some of these descriptions make me lust for the perfumes. More please!
    W. Somerset Maugham

Blog Entries

Vintage Narcisse Noir; notes include neroli, orange blossom, jasmine, incense, musk, civet & sandalwood.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Sonoma Scent Studio's Jour Ensoleille has notes including orange blossom, neroli, tuberose, jasmine, beeswax absolute, labdanum absolute , myrrh, sandalwood, ambergris, vetiver, green leaves, oakmoss absolute. It's fairly indolic, so the animalic quality does come through, at least for me. It's not spicy, though, so it might not be quite what you're looking for, but I find it pretty amazing, and unique as well.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Vintage Narcisse Noir; notes include neroli, orange blossom, jasmine, incense, musk, civet & sandalwood.
    I had some gorgeous extrait of this and just sold it this spring: me and it did not get along. I admired it, but could not wear it sadly!

Quote Originally Posted by quixoticcynic View Post
    Sonoma Scent Studio's Jour Ensoleille has notes including orange blossom, neroli, tuberose, jasmine, beeswax absolute, labdanum absolute , myrrh, sandalwood, ambergris, vetiver, green leaves, oakmoss absolute. It's fairly indolic, so the animalic quality does come through, at least for me. It's not spicy, though, so it might not be quite what you're looking for, but I find it pretty amazing, and unique as well.
    Love the notes! I like indolic just fine.
    W. Somerset Maugham