Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The best jasmine perfume

Since we know that true jasmine will be a thing of the past in future perfumes, I am looking for a classic top quality jasmine perfume to add to my collection.

What do you think is the best, true perfume version of the jasmine flower?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: The best jasmine perfume

Serge Lutens Sarrasins and Serge Lutens A la Nuit are both wonderful jasmines, maybe not considered classic though.

From one kitty lover to another, thanks Killiwia. I suspect I'm going to get quite a range of responses and I'm not at all averse to modern perfumes. I use the term 'classic' loosely to help describe the best of the bunch.

Patou's Joy - the best classic jasmine scent out there.

Lutens's Sarrasins and A la Nuit, The Different Company's Jasmine de Nuit, By Kilian's Love and Tears, Montale's Jasmine Full, Creed's Jasmin Impeatrice Eugenie and Jasmal, and Le Labo's Jasmin 17 are the other jasmine scents worth trying out, but as often as not there's invariably another note which dominates along with the jasmine - Sarrasins has a lovely leather note, Jasmine de Nuit has spices and so forth.

What do we think of this year's Grand Bal from Dior?

Tried it and liked it - thinking of picking one up for a jasmine loving friend as a gift (she enjoys A la Nuit & The TDC Jasmine).

To my nose, Serge Lutens Sarrasins is the best jasmine around, though perhaps not the most literal. Indolic jasmine with leather and apricot.

My favorite "dark" jasmine is Neil Morris' Gandhara. Soil, figs, and hot, rained-on jasmine.

There is a plethora of bright, clean jasmines at the moment. Their best representative to my nose is Love & Tears.

Nasomatto's Nuda, Diptyque's Olene, and Serge Lutens A La Nuit ( the latter being utterly different from Sarrasins - an opinion of one one is no indication of what your feeling on the other will be ) are all worth trying on a jasmine quest.

I echo Suganddaraja on Love and Tears. Absolute dead ringer for fresh jasmine right off the vine. The odd thing is, when you wear it you expect it to kick down some notches as time goes on. No such luck with Love and Tears. Don't get me wrong, I had been looking for this lovely aroma... F O R E V E R... But I have realized, upon finding it, that the beauty of a clean and fresh jasmine is that I only want that brief whiff of it, as if picked off at full blossom. I want it to be rare and special. Elusive. Love and Tears is IN YOUR FACE gorgeous and stays that way... and much to my surprise... I weary of it quickly every time.
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

Serge Lutens A La Nuit, of course.

Also try Jasmin by Molinard

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...60_perfum.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I need to try that Love and Tears. Jasmine is my fave white floral. Some of these aren't classic but jasmines I've tried are:

Lush by Lust, jasmine bomb!
    Molinard jasmine-more of a classic I think, may be discontinued?
    Jasmin Rouge-Tom Ford.
    Jasmin Full-Montale-pretty good one I think.
    A La Nuit, pretty good one. I'd like it to be without that musk though.
    Jasmin White Moss-Estee Lauder- a good one!
    Jasmal- Creed, pretty animalic, imo.

I probably have tried more but those are the ones I can think of right now.
    Jasmin Full, A La Nuit and Jasmin White Moss would be worth checking out if you haven't done so.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Beebee - I am right with you there. It's hyper realistic but not the most enjoyable in my experience. Though I love flowers, sometimes when a fragrance gets it just right, we realize that their smells are less enjoyable as a constant presence than as a key compenent.

I second Sarrasins. The opening blast of jasmine is an indolic bomb - then it's a melody with apricot, suede and osmanthus. And of course also vintage Joy. Vivid jasmine plus vivid rose, and more.

For pure jasmine, I think some Arabian houses still sell high quality jasmine extract. Even though not a real perfume properly speaking, it can satisfy jasminey cravings. Our arabian BNers should chime in. I own Abdul Samar al Quraishi royal jasmine, which is very indolic.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Beebee View Post
    I echo Suganddaraja on Love and Tears. Absolute dead ringer for fresh jasmine right off the vine. The odd thing is, when you wear it you expect it to kick down some notches as time goes on. No such luck with Love and Tears. Don't get me wrong, I had been looking for this lovely aroma... F O R E V E R... But I have realized, upon finding it, that the beauty of a clean and fresh jasmine is that I only want that brief whiff of it, as if picked off at full blossom. I want it to be rare and special. Elusive. Love and Tears is IN YOUR FACE gorgeous and stays that way... and much to my surprise... I weary of it quickly every time.
    I SO agree! As much as I love the scent of a real jasmine or gardenia, I find that wearing a white floral redolent of them for any period of time begins to overwhelm and depress. The only white floral that doesn't have that effect for me and actually I find not only soothing and lovely for days is Mona's Tubereuse, a true masterpiece in the art of scent.

Sugandaraja, isn't that the truth!? HA!! Tuberose has the same affect on me. Just a little, please. Make me want it more by never giving me enough!

Another thought I just had about a nice jasmine is Blush by Marc Jacobs. Very underrated and still in production aside from that! Yea for all of us! He mixes it with a little this and that but the jasmine stays as the front running breakout star of this juice. Very much worth a try if you are on the hunt for a true jasmine that won't kill you once you find it. :-o

- - - Updated - - -

Jubal, whoa, I agree about Gardenia too... I never thought of white florals as all being together in that "too-much-is-way-too-much" category but, dang, you're right. With that being said I am intrigued by Mona's Tubereuse. I like that you can like it for days. Is this Mona's readily available... or is a new hunt in my future?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I need to try that Love and Tears.
    Yes you do. :-)))
    Last edited by Beebee; 4th November 2012 at 04:13 AM.

Wondering how strong the lotv and daffodil notes are in the Kilian one.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

The jasmine fragrances that I own and love are L'Artisan La Haie Fleurie, Amouage Jasmine Attar, Soivohle Jasmine Summer and Lancome La Collection Magie.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Wondering how strong the lotv and daffodil notes are in the Kilian one.
    Not very much. Really it's a one-note pyramid, though there is a tiny bit of orange blossom and petigrain in the top.

Mmm, well I may have to try some then, thanks for that info.

I think I've tried Jasminora by Guerlain, don't remember it being my cup of tea though. Really, really been wanting to try Jasmin De Nuit by The Different Company forever though!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Not very much. Really it's a one-note pyramid, though there is a tiny bit of orange blossom and petigrain in the top.
    Agreed. Soliflore at its best really. It is joy... and it is sorrow... all in one. Jubal mentioned an "overwhelming" and a "depression"... a beautiful description, really... And, lest we forget its name, "Love and Tears". How wonderfully apt.

Nasomatto Nuda

Blog Entries

+1 for;
    Jasmin Full (my personal favourite)
    Nasomatto Nuda
    Love & Tears
    Jasminora
    Jasmin White Moss

Adding Bruno Acampora Jasmin; the dirtiest, most animalic jasmine ever!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Lol, I ordered a couple samples of Love and Tears, the last purchase I can make for a while. If it's going to be a while since I can buy anything again, might as well be a jasmine! Looking forward to sniffing it. I really hope the lotv doesn't kill it for me, not sure if I am a fan of that note. Not entirely sure if lotv is a dislike or not though. Not sure of how I like daffodil either, both notes sound like it could make it greener than I would like. We shall see I suppose.
    Last edited by kalli; 4th November 2012 at 12:54 PM.

+1 on Sarrasins by Serge Lutens
    But my absolute favourites are:

Tawaf by La Via Del Profumo
    and
    Fig by Aftelier Perfumes - do not be put off by the name, it is not a fig fragrance AT ALL. It is a jasmine and fir fragrance, and it's exquisit.

Diptyque Olene is one of the most beautiful, unctuous, heady, and super-ripe jasmines I've ever experienced. We are lucky to have jasmine growing intertwined with honeysuckle along our fence in our back yard and it smells very much like this.

Unsure whether they are actually the best, but both Zara and Yves Rocher have interesting variations on the jasmine accord, underrated and very affordable too- smelling much more expensive, stylish and luxurious than their actual price.

+1000 A la Nuit

It looks like I'll have to venture into the unknown territory of niche perfumery to find my target purchase. I have avoided the niche perfumes because it is a bewilderingly big area, and I don't have access to sampling without purchasing online.

Perhaps I might add by way of explanation, that I positively hated Jasmine White Moss. I also hated Gelsomino by Acqua di Parma. Both these perfumes were overwhelmed to my senses, by a strong, dominant, almost bitter note, that blew away the pleasure and sweetness of the flower.

I agree that white flowers especially tuberose, gardenia and jasmine can be somewhat overwhelming and tiring to wear. What I am looking for is a perfume that has a dominant jasmine note, as close to the real thing as possible, with high grade ingredients, but not strictly a soliflore. Even a well done soliflore can sometimes be tiring to wear. I find this with vintage Diorissimo, Violette Precieuse.

Strangely enough, in Joy I detect rose more strongly than jasmine. I suspect it is because my Eau de Joy is past its best. The current formulation of EDP is somewhat harsh, though I get more jasmine from it than from EdJ. I'm hanging my hopes on a recent purchase of vintage Joy that is still in transit. It's still factory sealed and should be a better example of the real Joy experience than I've had to date. My last few drops of the pure parfum in the little 'snuff' bottle is also strongly rose dominated. Perhaps age takes the edge off the jasmine, more than from the rose.

+1 for A La Nuit and Sarrasins. HUGE love for those two.

I found Lust to be very plasticky.

Others to consider are Annick Goutal Songes, ELdO Jasmin et Cigarette, and Sonoma Scent Studio Jour Ensoleille.

Unlike Kalli, I don't get any musk in A La Nuit -- for me, it's just the big indoles coming through. Songes, though, is both indolic and musky on me. Love it.

Also, a designer jasmine I didn't see mentioned here (maybe I missed it) that should be easy for you to sample without ordering online is Bulgari Jasmin Noir.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 5th November 2012 at 05:53 PM.

I like Nasomatto Nuda. Worst jasmine would be Keiko's.
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

A La Nuit, of course -- no contest

I wish I had the cojones to wear it myself.

For some reason I always think of Jean Patou Joy as a classic jasmine scent, but it's not a soliflore. My favorite with jasmine is Obsession, far darker than what you are looking for.

Hi Jacona
    You're right. I'm not looking for anything too dark, nor indolic. Where indoles are dominant, I lose the magic of the flower.

Joy is very rosy. My Eau de Joy seems fairly jasminey, though. When I was sampling jasmines a while back my favorite was Jasmin Full by Montale, as beautiful as A la Nuit and Sarrasins are/were. My least favorite was Keiko Mecheri (thumbs down, I agree). I agree that Marc Jacobs Blush is lovely and underrated. I want to try Love and Tears now. Tawaf is very nice jasmine...I always find Profumo's fragrances affecting on an aromatherapy level.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

To date, SL Sarrasins is still my no.1 jasmine though it feels as if a piece is missing. A la Nuit is a jasmine bomb for me, too indolic. Diptyque Olene is somewhat harsh, very soapy. Vintage Joy is amazing but there is a lot more to it than jasmine. Sorry. I guess I do not have much to add here as I'm still searching for my jasmine queen. I too prefer my jasmine [or other white florals for that matter] in soft elusive whispers. Perhaps this effect can be achieved through more judicious application on oft-overlooked areas?

But thanks to this thread, it looks like I have more sampling to do. Wheeee...!

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    My favorite with jasmine is Obsession, far darker than what you are looking for.
    I'd not thought of jasmine being very prominent in Obsession ... I will have to wear it tomorrow to satisfy my curiosity!

Tried the Love and Tears...very clean, fresh jasmine scent. Jasmine, orange, woody. Green and clean. Pretty ok..I would like it to be a little less green though. There's almost an aquatic element...and yes, I think I could have gone without the lotv note. I think that's what's buggin me, not sure. Too green almost.

More votes for A La Nuit and Olene. Also seconding Bvlgari's Jasmine Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by iris_983 View Post
    I like Nasomatto Nuda. Worst jasmine would be Keiko's.
    +1 Nuda is perfect jasmine , pure & beautiful jasmine ...
    Last edited by sandrin; 9th November 2012 at 12:21 PM.
    eden <3 <3 <3

What a *lovely* thread! I have added a bunch of the suggested perfumes to my notes to test later! Although I think all of the ones I have tried have been mentioned, I’ll add my take on them, for whatever that may be worth.

A la Nuit: Lovely strong jasmine- one of my favorites for a classic jasmine soliflore. It doesn’t strike me as grossly indolic, and the musk in dry down is light and inoffensive for me.

Jasmal: Realistic, green jasmine—like poet’s jasmine, Jasminum officinale. Even begins to “wilt” as it warms on the skin. Another favorite!

Love and Tears: nice jasmine soliflore, some neroli and sweet base typical of the By Kilians I have tried; dries down to an old fashioned, jasmine-LOTV-rose floral on my skin.

Jasminora: Light, fresh, leafy jasmine with some citrus. Almost feels like a sort of jasmine eau de cologne.

Child: Strong, soapy sambac jasmine; very simple and warm. Reminds me of Indian jasmine soaps.

Songes: Jasmine plus airy white florals/light gardenia, touch of cumin keeps it from being cloying or overly sweet.

Le Jasmin: (Annick Goutal) Like Chinese pink jasmine blooms plus gummy bears coated with powdered sugar. (Nicer than it sounds! Not overly sweet, despite the gummy notes and powder.)

Jasmin de Nuit: Not night blooming jasmine, which is actually not jasmine anyway. To my nose, mostly a spicy, herbal tabacco and vanilla laced creation, like if you took a drop of jasmine absolute and mixed it up with Tabac and Caron Pour un Homme. (Maybe my sample was off?!?)

Jasmine White Moss: More about the fake “moss” than the jasmine. The jasmine is probably imaginary too. It's clean and bright though.

Having done a short survey of what is most popular to date in order the recommendations are:-
    A la Nuit
    Sarracens
    Nuda
    Love and Tears

To my surprise 26 different perfumes were mentioned as test-worthy but I think I'll be looking to sample these four most popular.

This has been so valuable to help me evade the more indolic, overpowering ones, and to get others' takes on what the feeling is like that these evoke.

Thanks everyone

Keep em coming.

Sound Scents

Jasmine Mean Time (JMT) by O'driù is the best rendition I have smelled to date. After having to endure Tawaf (that I know many here love) for my recent BN review, I can appreciate just how good Angelo Pregoni's JMT composition really is all the more. Definitely worth a sniff if you can find a sample, but I believe the full bottles are sold out and they were crazy expensive anyways...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Nobody mentioned VCA's Murmure. It's super and very wearable for daytime.

Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post
    Since we know that true jasmine will be a thing of the past in future perfumes, I am looking for a classic top quality jasmine perfume to add to my collection.

What do you think is the best, true perfume version of the jasmine flower?
    Nothing like the real thing, baby. Try Intelligent Nutrients Jasmine Absolute. Would love to know your thoughts!

treeman5823

Try Sarrasins or Enlevement au Serail.

Donna Karan Jasmine is up there for me. Sarrasins was also nice.

queen of the universe

kalli, I agree re: Donna Karan Essence Jasmine and Sarrasins, and they are as different as can be. DK Jasmine smells exactly like the jasmine tea I like to sip; it's as true to life a soliflore jasmine as can be. SL Sarrasins's is everything everyone has said so far, cacio in particular. I'll just add that I get some green stems along with the flower at the opening. It is plush and stylized. Stays close to the skin which is fine with me, it is a skin scent extraordinaire.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

„Jasmine” by The Organic Pharmacy is a light and pure scent that jasmine lovers might like. (And it's natural!)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sandrin View Post
    +1 Nuda is perfect jasmine , pure & beautiful jasmine ...
    What sandrin says is absolutely true. Nuda is my favorite jasmine.
    But if you want to try something quite incredible try Bruno Acampora's Jasmin T. I don't think there's anything
    quite like it.

Both Lutens, Sarrasins and A la Nuit are also exquisite.
    Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 13th April 2013 at 10:28 AM.

My favorite jasmine perfumes are:

1- A la Nuit Serge Lutens
    2- Alien T. Mugler

I like bright, fresh Jasmin and some classics. The classics: Joy, Eau de Joy, Ode by Guerlain, Snob by Le Galion. The modern fresh Jasmins: Love and Tears, Chanel 1932 and Jasminora.
    Evenstar

If you want fresh, indolic jasmine with apricot, hay and a smoky, tobacco twist; try Jasmin et Cigarette from Etat Libre d'Orange. It's a little different and very impressive indeed.
    Smelling good on a budget!

Blog Entries

Loving this thread! The first to come to mind for me was A La Nuit, which I think is way too strong but still beautiful. I'd like to add a +1 to L'Artisan's La Haie Fleurie (spelling?), which does an amazing job smelling like you're walking past an actual jasmine vine. It smells more like a place than huge perfumey flowers, and would probably solve BeeBee and Suga's issue with the in-your-face relentlessness of some jasmines...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I just got a 10ml spray of Lush (Gorilla Perfumes) Lust the other day, and I think it's a really nice jasmine. Try it out if you can.

One more to chime in with, I just got a sample of Calypso by Ajne thanks to a fellow blogger <3
    It is truly a wonderful jasmine.

CLASSIC, TOP QUALITY, with Jasmine
    VINTAGE MISS DIOR extrait or perfume

honorable mention, another Classic - vintage Joy extrait or perfume

Sampled that Jasmin White Moss again recently..

I get a sharp, strong lemony notes for a good bit..then gets a bit earthy. Not heavy on the jasmine in this one. Kinda wish it wasn't as sharp on top.. I guess maybe it's the bergamot.

Sarrasins is my favourite jasmine,but Ineke Poet's Jasmine (from Anthropologie) is a lovely fresh jasmine tea scent. Not indolic and moderately priced. I also love the much maligned TF Jasmine Rouge.

Has anyone here tried Full by Al Rehab? It is a best seller in the middle east, and very inexpensive ($5 free shipping) I am interested in finding a Jasmine as well and would be curious how this one compares to the ones mentioned in this thread. They call the flower Full in Arabic and I am guessing that is where Montale used Full in the name of their Jasmine.

I just (today) purchased this but the only white floral (Gardenia) I can compare it to would be Samsara, as I dont have any others, would anyone here roll the dice on this one and let me know how it compares? It is sold also on Amazon and has a few reviews there as well.

I'm falling in love with A' la Nuit...
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

I'm thinking more outside of the box lately about classic Jasmine perfumes. Miss Balmain is an OFF THE CHAIN JASMINE. You have to get past the lemon and green notes, but it's there. The midnote jasmine is heavenly compared with rose, narcissus, carnation, and finally, tobacco and leather.

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by NineInchNell View Post
    I'm thinking more outside of the box lately about classic Jasmine perfumes. Miss Balmain is an OFF THE CHAIN JASMINE. You have to get past the lemon and green notes, but it's there. The midnote jasmine is heavenly compared with rose, narcissus, carnation, and finally, tobacco and leather.
    I dropped everything on reading this and spritz my Miss Balmain one one writs, then dabbed Sarrasins on the others, and DK Jasmine on a forearm, just to compare. By George, you are right! You have to "listen" for that midnote, the top and bottom being as assertive as they are.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!