My favorites in this order:
    Olene (vintage)
    Sarassins
    Love & Tears
    A La Nuit

for swap/sale:

Default Re: The best jasmine perfume

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    I dropped everything on reading this and spritz my Miss Balmain one one writs, then dabbed Sarrasins on the others, and DK Jasmine on a forearm, just to compare. By George, you are right! You have to "listen" for that midnote, the top and bottom being as assertive as they are.
    I'm not familiar with Sarrasins so I just read half of the 21 Basenotes reviews of this seemingly sublime and exquisite Jasmine scent! I can't wait to try this! But I didn't see YOUR SARRASINS REVIEW yet, jujy54. Can I read it tomorrow, or maybe next week?

Can someone describe to me what Jasmine smells like in relation to other white florals? I am familiar with Lilly of the Valley, Gardenia, and Lilac, to me they are all very similar.

DLH

There are different varieties of jasmine. Relative to other white florals, jasmine smells richer and sultrier, that is it has a warm, dirty aspect to it that's not present in the other white florals you mention. Some jasmine varieties are now severly restricted, so it's hard to come by in modern perfumes (apart from the suggestions before, like Sarrasins or the like), and in any case, in most mainstream perfumes, jasmine is a synthetic reconstruction and when you read "jasmine", it usually means only the synthetics that replicate the clean part of it, not the sultry one. If you get hold of A La Nuit, you can get some ideas of what a rich jasmine smells like. The heart of Chanel No 5 still has some as well, but mixed in with other notes.

Lily of the valley is sweetish and clean, and in most reconstructions comes off as functional; lilac can be rich, but a little rough. True gardenia, which is almost impossible to find in perfumery, is intoxicating and has a distinctive mushroom note, but in perfumes it usually means an unremarkable clean floral note.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    DLH

There are different varieties of jasmine. Relative to other white florals, jasmine smells richer and sultrier, that is it has a warm, dirty aspect to it that's not present in the other white florals you mention. Some jasmine varieties are now severly restricted, so it's hard to come by in modern perfumes (apart from the suggestions before, like Sarrasins or the like), and in any case, in most mainstream perfumes, jasmine is a synthetic reconstruction and when you read "jasmine", it usually means only the synthetics that replicate the clean part of it, not the sultry one. If you get hold of A La Nuit, you can get some ideas of what a rich jasmine smells like. The heart of Chanel No 5 still has some as well, but mixed in with other notes.

Lily of the valley is sweetish and clean, and in most reconstructions comes off as functional; lilac can be rich, but a little rough. True gardenia, which is almost impossible to find in perfumery, is intoxicating and has a distinctive mushroom note, but in perfumes it usually means an unremarkable clean floral note.

cacio
    Thanks for that!

Well, I suppose then I will have to recommend the perfume oil I just received then, it is similar to Gardenia but not quite, I think you should (or someone with a taste for this stuff) try this one out for the thread, but it is called "Full" by Al Rehab, very cheap on ebay, $8 shipped for 6ml of Concentrated Perfume Oil

Thanks for the suggestion! Usually good gardenias go for $$$$ (Lutens Une voix noire, not to speak of the JAR- Jardenia)., so this one is clearly a must try.

cacio

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by DaddysLittleHelper View Post
    Can someone describe to me what Jasmine smells like in relation to other white florals? I am familiar with Lilly of the Valley, Gardenia, and Lilac, to me they are all very similar.
    Jasmine smells like bananas, vanilla, lemon, and sunscreen (indolic).

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    The only white floral that doesn't have that effect for me and actually I find not only soothing and lovely for days is Mona's Tubereuse, a true masterpiece in the art of scent.
    And I SO agree with that statement, truly a masterpiece and to me a white floral that will never be topped by another. My number 1 fragrance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion! Usually good gardenias go for $$$$ (Lutens Une voix noire, not to speak of the JAR- Jardenia)., so this one is clearly a must try.

cacio
    A truly beautiful realistic gardenia that is not expensive is Starlet by Lulu Beauty, though I believe she has now renamed it Olivine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    Jasmine smells like bananas, vanilla, lemon, and sunscreen (indolic).
    I'm intrigued by this comparison to bananas. I wonder if you mean fresh, on the stock. That may be true. But not the fake banana smell at all. Jasmine smells to me like a fresh, slightly green tingly floral, sweet. White really does come to mind. ( not scientific, maybe, like clean sheets?) it is also, as they say, indolic, and has that civit-like thing that catches in the back of your throat, almost sweaty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would have thought it would depend on the variety of Jasmine. Like Rose different varieties of jasmine smell and behave quite differently.

To me sambac always reminds me of jasmine tea and I can easily pick it from the sweeter and heady polyanthus and multiform variety (I have all three growing in my garden). I guess it depends on the type of note you are after and which is used in different perfumes as to would appeal.

Blog Entries

As for the best jasmine perfume, I tried every one I could find and my favorites were Serge Lutens -A La Nuit, and Creed-Jasmal. I guess Jasmal is to be discontinued, mores the pity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post
    It looks like I'll have to venture into the unknown territory of niche perfumery to find my target purchase. I have avoided the niche perfumes because it is a bewilderingly big area, and I don't have access to sampling without purchasing online.

Perhaps I might add by way of explanation, that I positively hated Jasmine White Moss. I also hated Gelsomino by Acqua di Parma. Both these perfumes were overwhelmed to my senses, by a strong, dominant, almost bitter note, that blew away the pleasure and sweetness of the flower.

I agree that white flowers especially tuberose, gardenia and jasmine can be somewhat overwhelming and tiring to wear. What I am looking for is a perfume that has a dominant jasmine note, as close to the real thing as possible, with high grade ingredients, but not strictly a soliflore. Even a well done soliflore can sometimes be tiring to wear. I find this with vintage Diorissimo, Violette Precieuse.

Strangely enough, in Joy I detect rose more strongly than jasmine. I suspect it is because my Eau de Joy is past its best. The current formulation of EDP is somewhat harsh, though I get more jasmine from it than from EdJ. I'm hanging my hopes on a recent purchase of vintage Joy that is still in transit. It's still factory sealed and should be a better example of the real Joy experience than I've had to date. My last few drops of the pure parfum in the little 'snuff' bottle is also strongly rose dominated. Perhaps age takes the edge off the jasmine, more than from the rose.
    If you want to try out a niche perfume, try the revived "La Route d'Emeraude" by Isabey. Basenotes does not have the (2012) Version listed, so here is a link to the newly available perfume at LuckyScent.

It is gorgeous. I am wearing it today. Jasmine is a note that is hard to handle, and it is masterfully crafted here.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...2Emeraude.html

Recently I started a topic about it, "In Praise of ..." - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...BEY?highlight=
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Hi, LilliB. Jasmine is my favorite floral and I'm resuming my Jasmine Sniff-Fest thread today or tomorrow in search of its perfect rendition in perfumes. [I drink Jasmine tea, have Jasmine air freshener put in my car]. For years my favorite has been Creed's Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie. However, I bought SL's A la Nuit as soon as I smelled it. Sarrasins is lovely, too. I hope to locate more to-die-for Jasmines in my sniff fest.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddysLittleHelper View Post
    Has anyone here tried Full by Al Rehab? It is a best seller in the middle east, and very inexpensive ($5 free shipping) I am interested in finding a Jasmine as well and would be curious how this one compares to the ones mentioned in this thread. They call the flower Full in Arabic and I am guessing that is where Montale used Full in the name of their Jasmine..
    I tried the Al Rehab and was hit with such a revolting jolt of what smelled to me like pure formaldehyde that I threw it out. At the time, I didn't know aldehydes were used in perfumes. Searching for the definition of aldehydes is how I found Basenotes. I can't imagine that the noses here would find Al Rehab appealing, but I'm new to this and, I've since learned, very sensitive to aldehydes. Depending on which one it is, a little goes a long way for me.

To DHL: And I've learned the Jasmine I adore is the Grandiflora which is much more indolic, warm and sultry than Jasmine Sambac. To me, Jasmine Grandiflora is the height of scent. I'm smelling an absolute now from a perfumer kit...it does smell a little like quite ripe bananas with vanilla, but imagine them flambe'd in an old, old rum until the alcohol is gone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Gorgeous you say? Just ordered samples. Thanks, Ursula.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 16th November 2013 at 10:54 PM.

Since IFRA set restrictions on jasmine absolute (<0.7%) and jasmine sambac absolute (<4%) in 2009, all these top quality, natural smelling jasmine fragrances in production (A La Nuit, Sarrasins, jasmin imperatrice eugenie, etc.) must only contain very little amount of real jasmine absolute. I think they all use synthetic jasmine notes, just very well done so they don't smell synthetic. Companies nowadays often use synthetic indole to add the dirtiness associated with real jasmine. So indolic scent does not necessarily mean natural. Synthetic indole has the moth ball and ink smell. I am wondering whether that explains why some of the SL fragrances have the moth ball footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower77 View Post
    Since IFRA set restrictions on jasmine absolute (<0.7%) and jasmine sambac absolute (<4%) in 2009, all these top quality, natural smelling jasmine fragrances in production (A La Nuit, Sarrasins, jasmin imperatrice eugenie, etc.) must only contain very little amount of real jasmine absolute. I think they all use synthetic jasmine notes, just very well done so they don't smell synthetic. Companies nowadays often use synthetic indole to add the dirtiness associated with real jasmine. So indolic scent does not necessarily mean natural. Synthetic indole has the moth ball and ink smell. I am wondering whether that explains why some of the SL fragrances have the moth ball footprint.
    Thanks for this note. It made me laugh because I recently smelled the raw material indole for the first time (diluting it to 0,02% but I guess that's still too much). It is the most disgusting scent that has ever entered my nostrils. There is something severely poisenous about it. It smells like meth addicted people look like after some years of abuse. Haven't checked yet how it is produced but it could be plain crystallized devil's bile.

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower77 View Post
    Moth ball and ink? That's exactly what I smelled in Al Rehab and identified as formaldehyde. I smell it in Keiko Mecheri Jasmine, too.

Feel the urge to tell everybody how gorgeous a jasmine Venezia Giardini Segreti by AbdesSalaam Attar is! I received a sample with my last order and I think it's one of the best jasmine fragrance I've ever smelled.
    For a beautiful description of it I'll suggest:
    http://graindemusc.blogspot.it/2013/...ofumo.html?m=1
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen