Code of Conduct

Default In the 80's were the powerhouses, in the 90's the aquatics,what about the 2000s?

Ok, so every decade seems to have a tendency, the 60's/70's were famous for the green, classic and classy fragrances (that created the nowadays nickname olf "old man smell", a nickname I actually dont like, by the way), the 80's were famous for their amazing powerhouses, the 90's sort of bleached everything out with their ozonic/aquatics (and they have a place in anyones collection, IMO), and what about the 2000's, could you figure out a precise tendency for the noughties? And since 2010 can you find an emergent tendency already? Share your thoughts on this... )
    From my point of view view, the sweetish, oudy and gourmand(ish) seems to be a tendency these last years...)

Default Re: In the 80's were the powerhouses, in the 90's the aquatics,what about the 2000s?

In feminine perfumery, the girlie fruity floral. In masculine, the aquatic wave continues to reign supreme, with a rising of the gourmands. As for the 10's, who knows, too early to say. the oudish is mostly in niche, and it's not clear it will continue, but who knows.

cacio

Banned

Default Re: In the 80's were the powerhouses, in the 90's the aquatics,what about the 2000s?

I think the 2000's continued the fresh scents, but downplaying the ozone notes, and adding fruity and floral aspects. And, unisex and metrosexual fragrances took a firmer grip.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    In feminine perfumery, the girlie fruity floral. In masculine, the aquatic wave continues to reign supreme, with a rising of the gourmands. As for the 10's, who knows, too early to say. the oudish is mostly in niche, and it's not clear it will continue, but who knows.

cacio
    I have to agree with Cacio.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Some of the post-2000 trends include, in my opinion: gourmands, rise of niche (niche being often "the new black", in terms of perceived status symbol), a moderate return to leather and powerhouse-though nowhere near the 80s, the continuation of the unisex trend, the obsession with reformulation- thus often an increase in value and fashionableness for vintage formulations, the rise of oud, of iris, of male florals, of barbershop-style accords, suede, powderiness, soapiness, assorted spiciness etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    Humm, interesting! Well, I agree, what I've noticed is that in the health club I usually work out, a couple of years ago the locker room had the typical fresh ozonic vibe, now its starting to smell like a kitchen, with all the fruity gourmands around

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Some of the post-2000 trends include, in my opinion: gourmands, rise of niche (niche being often "the new black", in terms of perceived status symbol), a moderate return to leather and powerhouse-though nowhere near the 80s, the continuation of the unisex trend, the obsession with reformulation- thus often an increase in value and fashionableness for vintage formulations, the rise of oud, of iris, of male florals, of barbershop-style accords, suede, powderiness, soapiness, assorted spiciness etc.
    Totally agree, but I do think thats more true with fragrance enthusiasts, I was actually talking about mainstream perceptions, what is the general public into nowadays...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    I think the 2000's continued the fresh scents, but downplaying the ozone notes, and adding fruity and floral aspects. And, unisex and metrosexual fragrances took a firmer grip.
    Good point with the unisex and metrosexual, I think thats something unseen in previous decades with exception of the CKs, I also think that when it comes to that Dior Homme was a true milestone.

Fruity florals

Then came Pink Pepper

Now Oud is big.
    DONNA

Yep, fruity florals and gourmands all the way.

The Ouds

Unisex Scents and the rise of Oud.

I think fruity florals for the girls and gourmand vanilla bombs for the boys have become the majority in terms of 'mass appeal', or at least what is being served up to the masses.

Incredibly depressing, really - just add sugar to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I think fruity florals for the girls and gourmand vanilla bombs for the boys have become the majority in terms of 'mass appeal', or at least what is being served up to the masses.

Incredibly depressing, really - just add sugar to everything.
    yes, sweet gourmands are everywhere... and then someone adds a bit of oud to give it an "edgy" touch

Basenotes Plus

Fruity florals for feminines. Transparent peppery woods for masculines.