Code of Conduct

Default Time to pick a signature scent

Hey guys,

I am going through a massive simplification of my life, including clothes, watches, and yes fragrances. I know a lot of you here are against going with just 1 or 2 fragrances, but I travel a lot for work so that would help me a lot.

I'm hoping you can help me pick 1 (or maybe 2) signature fragrance that will be good for the office during the day, but also good for going out at night; something that can be worn year round and hopefully something ladies typically enjoy as well. It doesn't have to be a sillage monster, but good longevity would be very desirable since my skin just soaks up any fragrance

I tried a bunch of fragrances so here is a list of what I liked and not liked so far.

Disliked:

• Aqua di Gio: the melon note was just too cloying to my nose
    • Dolce Gabbana Light Blue: Same thing with AdG
    • Versace PH: Same thing with AdG
    • Allure Homme Sport: Not sure which note, but this one gave me terrible headaches, felt way too cloying and synthetic
    • Dior Homme: I could not stand the "lipstick note"
    • Azzaro Chrome: I kept getting compliments when I wore this, and I like it better that AdG, but it still feels so cloying
    • Cool Water: For some reason this turns nasty on my skin, just a very sour smell after the first 15 minutes that's nice
    • Prada Infusion d'Homme: Like this a lot at first, and it had great longevity on my skin, but the soapiness just gets too cloying for me

Liked:
    • CK Euphoria Intense: I thought this was a great, comforting aroma, but longevity was TERRIBLE
    • YSL La Nuit de L'Homme: I enjoyed this a lot, but also couldn't shake the feeling that it was a bit too sweet and feminine at times
    • Armani Code: Liked it quite a bit, but I feel like all my friends are wearing this
    • Polo Black: I thought this was nice and felt very versatile, but not sure about longevity or sillage
    • Azzaro Pour Homme: I really like this one, very manly, but probably not versatile enough
    • Creed Aventus: I enjoyed this one too, very masculine but might be too expensive for my taste
    • Lacoste Essential: I felt this was so nice smelling, loved the tomato leave note, but again fears about longevity
    • Polo Blue: This feels very synthetic, but still my go-to for summer days, I like the cucumber
    • HUGO: I like the opening; but no dry down to talk about, it's gone in 1 hour
    • Le Male: I like this, but not the most versatile, a bit intense and too sweet to be an all-rounder

So with these points in mind, what suggestions would you have for me? Thank you in advance for your guidance and sorry for the long post.

Default Re: Time to pick a signature scent

The two below would be my picks:

Azzaro Pour Homme
    Aventus

Post Thanks / Like

From your list of likes I'd say AVENTUS! Its good enough to be very versatile. Longevity is good and can def be worn all year round. As far as cost look into some discount fragrance sites or pick up a split. Either way it will save you some money and its worth it in my opinion. Not to mention everyone likes it to include WOMEN.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

YSL Rive Gauche PH is a good masculine frag that has well above average longevity and is reasonably priced at around $30-$40.
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

aventus is probably the best signature scent of all you listed.

great projection, great longevity, great all-year round, very original.

le male and la nuit would be good secondaries though.

My picks for a good signature would be:
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Gucci Pour Homme II

Post Thanks / Like

The idea of a signature scent is not appealing to most BNers, as you can imagine. The solution is 10ml travel decants, to be refilled as desired.

In any case, from your list, it seems you do not like marine, ozonic, or modern woody ambers (neither do I). You are more inclined towards more structured things, fougeres perhaps, but not excessively potent or sweet.

Azzaro pour homme is the most classic fougere. Not sure why you say it is not versatile. Other fougeres of note would be the above mentioned Rive Gauche, which is somewhat cleaner and fresher than Azzaro, or Caron Troisieme homme, which is a touch sweeter. In other genres, I would also look into Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not the concentree), an elegant warm sandalwoody frag with a touch of candied fruits, or the classic Aramis 900, spicy balsamic patchouli.

cacio

Out of what you mentioned, I'd say Aventus (which I know is a typical response around here). The expense is a factor, but you can get 50mL's for $69 here via a split from a few different people.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The idea of a signature scent is not appealing to most BNers, as you can imagine. The solution is 10ml travel decants, to be refilled as desired.

In any case, from your list, it seems you do not like marine, ozonic, or modern woody ambers (neither do I). You are more inclined towards more structured things, fougeres perhaps, but not excessively potent or sweet.

Azzaro pour homme is the most classic fougere. Not sure why you say it is not versatile. Other fougeres of note would be the above mentioned Rive Gauche, which is somewhat cleaner and fresher than Azzaro, or Caron Troisieme homme, which is a touch sweeter. In other genres, I would also look into Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not the concentree), an elegant warm sandalwoody frag with a touch of candied fruits, or the classic Aramis 900, spicy balsamic patchouli.

cacio

Hey, thanks for the informative response. I do enjoy Azzaro Pour Homme, but I find myself going for it maybe once or twice a month when it gets cold out (I live in LA). While it's nice, I find it a bit old man'ish. I feel like I could go for something more modern since I'm only 24.

By the way, feel free to recommend something that I haven't listed. I just put those out there to give an idea of my taste profile.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions so far. Please keep them coming.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys,

So I'm thinking a 4 scent rotation based on the feedback:

Lacoste Essential - casual daytime
    Creed Aventus - signature all-rounder
    Azzaro PH - manly power scent

I need your help to decide a 4th one that will complement these 3. I need this primarily for going out, so something that's a compliment getter would be great. here are the options:

1. Le Male
    2. Armani Code
    3. YSL La Nuit de L'Homme

Which one do you think would compliment my new fragrance wardrobe better?

- - - Updated - - -

Any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Any thoughts?