Code of Conduct

Question Some Questions about Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree

I have several questions about this and am grateful for any help !
    Firstly, and to me the most important question is......has this been discontinued ??? A brand new Douglas perfumerie has opened in a town nearby and they have plenty of this in stock. It' s in 75ml spray bottles for 65 euro. This has thrown me because I was sure it had been discontinued ??? !!!
    Second question is, reviews of this one are split down the middle about whether this just a more concentrated Pour Monsieur, or whether it is a completely different animal ~ what are your thoughts please ??? I have a friend who can get me the normal Pour Monsieur, (100ml spray edt tester) for half the price. So next question is.......is the concentree really worth double the price for 75ml ???
    I have tested both and I am really wavering on this one. I personally agree with the reviewers who do not find it so different from the usual edt. However I do notice quite a big difference after the drydown. I feel it almost morphs into a weaker Egoiste, with all that soft vanilla. I do love the post drydown on this, but I also agree with the reviewers who say that the projection and longevity are not at all good considering it is a supposed to be a concentrated version.

Final question is, how hard is it to find the Egoiste Concentree compared to the Pour Monsieur Concentree ???
    Once again thanks for any advice.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: Some Questions about Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree

Here's what I know:

PMC comes in 75ml only.

It's availability is unpredictable. Last year, it was off Chanel's website for a time, and scarce in stores.

It's a masterpiece; a Polge triumph.

The original Pour Monsieur is apparently still in production, and offered in Europe, but I've never seen it on Chanel's U.S. website or in stateside stores like Sephora, Saks, or Macy's. It's more of a classic cologne than PMC and both versions have their fans (often passionate of course). I prefer the Concentree. As for Egoiste, I'm not a fan so I can't comment.

Sound Scents

I am not aware of the Concentree being discontinued... As for it being a more concentrated regular Pour Monsieur...? Definitely not. They are completely dissimilar to my nose. I like them both, but have a strong preference for the regular; so no, it is not worth the extra money, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Up until a couple of years ago, the two were different frags, the regular CpM being apparently the older version (save for the IFRA reformulation for the latest batches) and the concentree a different, more synthetic and moss-less version. Here in the US, only the concentree was distributed.

I don't know what happend in the past year or so. Luca Turin's newest book seems to imply that there is now only one, a combination of the two. Here in the US, so far I have only continued to see bottles with the label "concentree" on them, but haven't tested them.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more for the stuff labelled concentree. And if one could find real, mossy, vintage CpM ...

cacio

Recently purchased the original Chanel in a 100ml when I stopped Paris in the summer. Also have the concentree in 75ml in my collection and I find them to both be pretty similar.

I was delighted to discover that my most recent back-up of Concentree lists Evernia Prunastri (Oak Moss) extract on the box. This was purchased after the temporary disappearance of the fragrance late last year. Is it possible that the IFRA regulations are more strictly enforced abroad than in the U.S.? I'm wondering if the oak moss versions of PMC, or what remained of them, were relocated to the U.S. after the "pull."
    Last edited by frug; 5th November 2012 at 09:55 PM.

frug:

interesting ... so do you mean that the older PMC did *not* have oakmoss listed? Of course, it is possible that this simply follows new reporting regulations. Or perhaps that, as LT was saying, the two are now converging.

cacio

The Concentree is basically a completely different scent than the regular Pour Monsieur. The Concentree, imo is much more of a traditional Oriental, focusing on Orange, Nutmeg, Vanilla and Lavender whereas Pour Monsieur regular seems more centered around Citrus, Vetiver and Oakmoss, and feels more like a chypre-cologne.

Concentree is definitely not discontinued (it's available on the Chanel website right now). What's funny is you can get Pour Monsieur for half the price of the concentree whereas in the U.S., it's almost the other way around. Pour Monsieur regular is always more expensive.
    Paris*L.A. is an excellent new gourmand from A Lab On Fire. If you're looking for a fun, new fragrance for this winter, check it out!

Thanks to everyone for your insight.
    Still just the one question, is Egoiste Concentree as opposed to Pour Monsieur Concentree "definitely" discontinued ~ and if so, how difficult to locate ?
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    frug:

interesting ... so do you mean that the older PMC did *not* have oakmoss listed? Of course, it is possible that this simply follows new reporting regulations. Or perhaps that, as LT was saying, the two are now converging.

cacio
    I assume it always had oakmoss. Whether it was always listed, I don't know, I never checked. When PMC was available again, after disappearing briefly last year, I assumed that it had returned sans oakmoss, given the IFRA brouhaha (that's the reason I checked the ingredients) - but no. There it was, listed on the box, along with "Made In France".
    Last edited by frug; 6th November 2012 at 12:02 AM.