Code of Conduct

Default What would be the perfect Roller Derby Girl fragrance?

What would be the best scent that would just say "Roller Derby" to you?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What would be the perfect Roller Derby Girl fragrance?

I would Prefer clean scent since Roller Derby
    is a Rough and Strenuous Sport so something
    that won't cloy like

Ultimate Clean by Clean
    CK One
    Calvin Klein Truth
    Gap The Visionary
    Basi Femme Armand Basi

Hmm, I am not sure you are thinking the same way I am. I am not asking for what a good fragrance to wear while doing roller derby, I am asking for what a good fragrance would be that SAYS "Roller Derby"

I am looking for something that says "I hit like a girl... a really hard hitting girl!" or "Big ass? The better to check you with my dear!" or "Say my name!.. My derby name "

I guess I am looking for something with lots of contradictions. Dark but playful, tough but feminine, slutty but not easy. Something that hands you the olfactory equivalent of a handful of crushed rose petals along with the thorns.

Does it exist? Is there something out there?

Sur la Plage

Jasmine et Cigarette
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Good one, Joe. I'd definitely look among the Etat Libre d'Orange line if I were you.

Fabergé Babe camt to my mind for some reason. But that is from long, long ago, and discontinued.

Blog Entries

Oh That's what you mean ok

Robert Piguet Bandit is the Don't F@&% with me Scent dark leather
    and Green is the Dominatrix of all scents maybe you can try this

Also Try Gres Cabochard a mixture of Toughness of Leather, Tobacco and the Feminity of Florals

Ok, now we're getting somewhere! I am looking for inspiration. So, out of production is not a problem if I can find someone to let me smell it. I am not looking to copy anything but definitely need to find some things to get some good ideas and points from which to begin. But this definitely gives me some food for thought, and a small starting list for research

The original Poison from Dior

+1 for Bandit or Cuir Maureque.

Leather tough-girl dry scent and not too flowery.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Bulgari Black. The original rubber wheelie. Possibly layered with Derby as a joke!

My inner "derby broad" would spray it on her various pads, plus two spritzes on the caboose for good luck.

I was thinking Bulgari Black, too! And I love the Bandit idea. This reminds me, I had a friend years ago who was NOT a roller derby girl, though she could have been. She definitely had the build and personality. She actually favored a very soft, powdery feminine fragrance that was in a spray can brand (I have no idea what it was - it wasn't classy Rive Gauche, it was a body spray from the drugstore). She also wore Poison - good call, Pour Monsieur. And she liked Chamade as well. Or rather, she liked mine and decided it suited her perfectly. The thing is, you just don't know what fragrance someone will like.

Are you researching a character, Abs, or are you a Roller Derby girl yourself? I didn't know the women's roller derby was still in existence. Remember Raquel Welch in that movie?

I am researching a SCENT I want to create. I am not in Derby though my daughter and several co-workers and spouses of them are. I love roller derby on so many levels and the teams here are terrific. I get to be a supporter, a booster as it were. As I am learning to create fragrances I am getting ideas and inspirations that I want to act on.

The whole RD thing has come back and gained in popularity across the country as a whole. It is mostly girls/women but there are a handful of mens teams and even some juveniles. In my daughter's team they have some little 18 y/o girls up to some ladies whose age I would not say out-loud in front of them. They come from all walks of life, one is even a palliative care nurse and so on.

Anyway, in the vein of the culture around it I have been looking to contribute. Slogans, merchandise art and so on and so forth. I am working on some shirt designs. The latest idea is "My other heels have wheels!" obviously with an image of derby skates.

Anyway, while doing my treadmill this morning like the dutiful hamster that I am, the song Sex and Candy (Marcy Playground) came on and I was thinking of what that might actually smell like. (I decided that it would not smell anything like Ralph Lauren's new #2 Musk and Chocolate grrrr) but rather would be a bit more civet flavored and topped off with C14 and something vanilla.. Then (and you have to follow the twisted mind of a bored exerciser with perfume on the brain) I was thinking if I could get the smell of stale soda (they put that on the track for grip before they start) and leather and just a touch of rubber I would have the smell of Roller Derby!

So now it comes to this. I ask what scent other people might identify with Roller Derby, and try and go smell that for inspiration. Who knows, what I come up with might not even smell good. But it will be an artful creation

As for derby movies, check out "Whip It" at least that is in this century It is more in the latest resurgence. Or simply type Roller Derby into Youtube and you will see all manner of current Roller Derby action.

That's very interesting, Abs! Good for you! I don't know much about RD (obviously, I guess), but what you're doing sounds creative and like it's a lot of fun.
    I was thinking if I could get the smell of stale soda (they put that on the track for grip before they start) and leather and just a touch of rubber I would have the smell of Roller Derby!
    That sounds pretty good. Is it cola, or orange soda, or any kind that's stale for the grip, the sugar syrup I presume?

It's called sugaring the track. And amazingly enough it does't work well when it is very humid Then they have to clean it all off because it makes things worse. Basically they just spread out a bunch of (not diet) soda on the floor and let it dry. It gives a good amount of grip to the skates on many of the concrete floors they have at their disposal (armories and other large empty venues and so forth). I don't think any particular brand is necessary, just whatever is cheapest

But there is a smell that goes along with it hanging in the air. Sweet in that dirty sort of way. Like the fuzzy lollipop or ice cream in the gravel. Again it is the unattainable, it smells sweet but you can't bear to eat it. A pretty girl with a wedding band, a lesbian in a straight bar. A best friends's older sister, or mom The unsatisfiable desire, unobtainable goal, the unrequited love... It's a tease, but not intentionally... just situational.

When I share a scent with someone I ask them two questions. Invariably they all try to guess what is in it, and that serves no purpose. But when they are all done with those silly games I ask them to name one Adjective and one Emotion. Just the first thing that comes to mind. This time I am trying to go backwards. I have the emotions and colors and feelings and adjectives and now I want to find out what smells like them

Maybe I am weird, and I probably am, but this is how my brain is working right now so why fight it. Maybe I will learn some new scents in the mean time.

Dior Addict. It's one of those love it or hate it fragrances, a tiny bit sweet and very sharp at the same time... no rubber that I've noticed but there is vinyl. It's what I wear out when I'm in one of those moods where no one had better even look at me the wrong way. ;-)

that sounds yummy...

Quote Originally Posted by Abs View Post
    It's called sugaring the track. And amazingly enough it does't work well when it is very humid Then they have to clean it all off because it makes things worse. Basically they just spread out a bunch of (not diet) soda on the floor and let it dry. It gives a good amount of grip to the skates on many of the concrete floors they have at their disposal (armories and other large empty venues and so forth). I don't think any particular brand is necessary, just whatever is cheapest

But there is a smell that goes along with it hanging in the air. Sweet in that dirty sort of way. Like the fuzzy lollipop or ice cream in the gravel. Again it is the unattainable, it smells sweet but you can't bear to eat it. A pretty girl with a wedding band, a lesbian in a straight bar. A best friends's older sister, or mom The unsatisfiable desire, unobtainable goal, the unrequited love... It's a tease, but not intentionally... just situational.

When I share a scent with someone I ask them two questions. Invariably they all try to guess what is in it, and that serves no purpose. But when they are all done with those silly games I ask them to name one Adjective and one Emotion. Just the first thing that comes to mind. This time I am trying to go backwards. I have the emotions and colors and feelings and adjectives and now I want to find out what smells like them

Maybe I am weird, and I probably am, but this is how my brain is working right now so why fight it. Maybe I will learn some new scents in the mean time.
    I understand why it gums up in humidity. Same thing when you make candy - it doesn't set up properly in humid weather.

I don't think you're weird at all! I'm really fascinated. And I usually associate an emotion or adjective, or color, or texture, or whatever with a fragrance but it is not naming the ingredient. That is why perfume, as more than the sum of its parts, is so often beyond our grasp. It's evocative yet ephemeral. Maddening sometimes! I'm sure most any Basenoter can certainly empathize. I suppose noses name the ingredients because that is their profession. And they have to work backward, as you are now trying to do. The same way film makers have to work backward to create magic for the viewers. Once you're on that other side, though, can you ever go back to the simple acceptance of magic, without naming the parts?

It is like a language thing. Once you command a particular language you can compose prose and poetry and play with puns idioms and innuendo. That is where the noses are with regard to their ingredients.

I on the other hand am trying to write philosophically witty, linguistically clever poetry in Russian using the Cyrillic alphabet and a Russian-English dictionary.

Some things only work right in the language in which they are said. Translating them, no matter how carefully loses some subtlety or changes the meaning. Though you can understand it, it isn't quite the same. The noses all "speak" the language of the ingredients and I can only hope.

I stretch and reach for all sorts of applicable parallel metaphor. I can't really go to music well because I am not so versed in it. I can handle language so I go there. It brings to mind the Gogol Bordello song "Start Wearing Purple." There is a line in it in Russian that roughly translates as "easy like piss on two fingers" that idiomatically seems to mean very strongly that a particular thing is true. No possible way that the translation can do it justice. There is no equivalent English phrase that will say what he is thinking and feeling all at the same time. And I have to look such things up one at a time.

So to do this, I will have to ask "What makes you feel like this" or "what would you associate with this kind of person" and smell those things until I see why. Then (here comes the dictionary) I gotta figure out which thing I am smelling is made from what. All while I am still trying to learn my basics I like baby steps, but I seem to be taking big bites. wish me luck... lots of it.

I do wish you lots of luck! I think you will succeed.

Thanks, I think I will need it Considering I just completed my first scent (using aroma chems, second scent if you count the natural). I expect I have a few more steps to take before I can do the roller girl one. I really think the "Sex and Candy" will be the intermediate step, or more likely the base to it) See how it goes.

My girlfriend is a derby girl, and she sports these as go-to scents, which all work perfectly:
    Aveda Love
    Dior Poison
    Katy Perry Purr
    Cavalli (original)
    Guerlain Shalimar
    and this pink bubblegum/grapefruit-y body spray.

She's a fast jammer, with wind breezing through her all of the time. her scents match up perfectly with the soda they use on the track. Most of the time I try get her to wear something from Etat Libre D'Orange or Amouage, but she's pretty confident in her "sweet" choices.