Code of Conduct

Default How similar is Le Male to Pi?

I've been watching reviews and reading reviews saying that Pi smells just like vanilla, vanilla cream, vanilla cookies and so on. I haven't tried it yet so I can't say if that's right, but I have smelled a fragrance that Pi is compared to alot, Le Male.

I personally hate Le Male to death, I just can't stand the smell of it. I really love vanilla in my fragrances, and the vanilla in Le Male is the kind of vanilla that makes me throw up. I get a old mans shaving foam out of Le Male, yuk.

So, my question is if they are similar and how similar they really are. Will I hate Pi after what you've just read about my experience with Le Male? Give me all of your thoughts, I really need your help!

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: How similar is Le Male to Pi?

They're pretty differnet, IMO. If you like straight-up vanilla frags, I think you'll like Pi. A good, affordable vanilla.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Not as similar, in my opinion, getting Pi is still a valid option. Far more openly vanillic, than Le Male.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I hear you my brother. I too, never did like Le Male. And I too, am a vanilla lover. I can tell you that Pi is not similar to Le Male. I adore Pi and have been wearing it for many years. Go for it, without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I hear you my brother. I too, never did like Le Male. And I too, am a vanilla lover. I can tell you that Pi is not similar to Le Male. I adore Pi and have been wearing it for many years. Go for it, without hesitation.
    Great, that's exactly what I wanted to hear, haha! Thanks bro.

While both are sweet they smell nothing alike. I am a fan of both and they receive positive attention. PI has a bit of a burnt carmel vibe to me and I love that.

Agree with others - quite different.

They're not similar at all. Slight similarity, more in style than in sense of smell, exists between Body Kouros and Pi.

They aren't.
    Both sweet, but that's about it.

They are different but of similar sweetness. Try before you buy.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Pi is a warmer vanilla than LeMale and therefore much different IMO.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Both give off a similar feel, but the scent is significantly different.
    Pi is warm (as mentioned before). I also find it to be rather bitter at times, this is why I prefer Le Male.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Both give off a similar feel, but the scent is significantly different.
    Pi is warm (as mentioned before). I also find it to be rather bitter at times, this is why I prefer Le Male.
    I sure do not want a bitter feeling.. well, i'll have to order a sample of it to see for my self!

PI would be a better choice bro! Enjoy!

When it comes to something like Pi, you really just need to go smell it yourself. Order a sample if you have to.

To me, I don't get vanilla per se, not like vanilla extract anyway. I get benzoin and baby powder. It's warm and sweet, but it doesn't smell very gourmand.

two totally different fragrances...... I dislike Le male as well and sad to say I don't like Pi either. You can try tom ford black orchid or Kenneth cole reaction rsvp

Banned
    Blog Entries

both are sweet and have vanilla. that's it.

Basenotes Member

They're both pretty awful imo

Pi for me is a lot sweeter and warmer as has been mentioned before. I would describe Pi as also quite feminine but no one, male or female, will actually smell nice wearing it. just my two cents

Huh, you see a lot of people comparing Le Male and Pi? Thats strange as I don't think they smell even a little bit similar.

I'd say they're related (but I think quite a few fragrances are basically variations of Le Male lol which itself is a modern take on Pour Un Homme), both vanilla and musk. Still, they smell different enough. I enjoy them both.

They smell nothing alike and I dislike both, but Pi is the lesser of two evils.
    Last edited by frostyicy; 5th November 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Le Male - dirty chemical vanilla
    Pi - sweet almond benzoin vanilla

I like both but for designer vanilla scent I would pick Dior Homme Intense, Jil Sander Man Absolute or Hypnotic Poison.
    Another not very expensive but high quality option would be L'Occitane - Eau Des Baux
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

They smell nothing similar to me. Pi smells like...well...pie (birthday cake to be exact however there is a note in it that make it smells quite elegant to my nose) while Le Male aside from the interesting opening is a loud and flat vanilla mess

No similarity in my case.

I can't stand PI, it is nauseating and too thick and sickly sweet for me.

I quite like the scent of Le Male on the other hand and its smells more floral powderly. Though I don't like Le Male's reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    I sure do not want a bitter feeling.. well, i'll have to order a sample of it to see for my self!
    Give it a shot, you can always run down to Macy's or Sephora, it's a common enough fragrance to where they always have it out as a tester.
    The bitter scent is something that I just noticed recently, I used to spray my pops' bottle all the time (when I was a lot younger). Don't know why I'm getting it now.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Give it a shot, you can always run down to Macy's or Sephora, it's a common enough fragrance to where they always have it out as a tester.
    The bitter scent is something that I just noticed recently, I used to spray my pops' bottle all the time (when I was a lot younger). Don't know why I'm getting it now.
    Well, I don't like in the states so I can't go to Macy's but Sephora just opened down here in Sweden, I hope they've got it since all Givenchy fragrances recently is stopped from being sold here, for a reason I still don't know..

They're not even close to each other. Le Male is a big minty bomb and Pi is a more vanilla. Pi reminds me of Body Kouros a little bit.

"Le Male - dirty chemical vanilla
    Pi - sweet almond benzoin vanilla"

This sums it up perfectly! Keep looking there are lot of better options out there.

Well, they're clearly different in terms of smell. My remaining concern is if Pi smells like an old ladies perfume. Do you get that from Pi? I'm 18 years of age, love vanilla and really sweet gourmands. Is Pi really for me?

By the way, thank you guys so much for answering my questions!

I'd classify Le Male as a "cool" vanilla with some soapy notes, and Pi as a "warm" vanilla with more wood and incense. Just depends on what you're after. Another to look at which is somewhat between the two in terms of vanilla temperature is Boucheron Jaipur. Pi and Jaipur are both perfectly suitable for a young guy in a variety of situations.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Well, they're clearly different in terms of smell. My remaining concern is if Pi smells like an old ladies perfume. Do you get that from Pi? I'm 18 years of age, love vanilla and really sweet gourmands. Is Pi really for me?

Pi doesnt smell like old ladies perfume at all but ladies like to wear it because its very unisex. Yes, I think that Pi is suitable for 18yo.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

To my nose Pi is pretty grown-up but still if you're the right kinda guy you can rock it also being 18.

If that is a concern to you, you're better of testing it beforehand, as there are lots of vanilla scents out there.

Honestly, I am 30 now but I would not be caught dead wearing PI at 18.........Have you ever tried CK one shock? It's a different take on the Gourmandish category.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    Honestly, I am 30 now but I would not be caught dead wearing PI at 18.........Have you ever tried CK one shock? It's a different take on the Gourmandish category.
    I have tried Shock and like it a lot. The only negative thing about it is that it has tobacco in it which I hate, and I can easily pick up the tobacco.