Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Shippinf from the USA to overseas.

I have been buying/selling fragrances for years to/from overseas. Today the Postal worker asked me specifically what type of "beauty products" I was sending, and she bluntly reminded me of a $25,000 fine if I lied to her. I stated it was 2 ounces of edt and she stated there was no way It could be shipped overseas... thoughts???

Default Re: Shippinf from the USA to overseas.

That sucks... I do get a little nervous when posting stuff. Sometimes I just say "perfume", and often they'll do it! Best is to say something quickly and complicated like "Oh it's ausedespritdeparfumeaudetoilette...", or write "eaudetoilette" in one small unreadable word :') One way of getting around the perfume thing is saying "Aromatherapy" - mind you, when I ordered from Aftelier, they listed the EDP as "Aromatherapy" and it still struck me with a 20 custom tax charge which sucked.

You should've lied. Under the 4th amendment it is illegal for her to open your mail, she would need to obtain a warrant to do so.

Blog Entries

I usually am "purposely vague" on the customs sheet, but she asked point blank, and to lie outright is illegal. Problem is my wife delivered a package a while back and mentioned it was fragrance. It is a small post office where they know their patrons. Since then I am questioned is it liquid? It doesn't matter on domestic mail, but obviously international is a hassle. The last time I had this hassle I tried to mail a handgun...I had to hand deliver it to the Fed Ex headquarters, fill out a zillion forms and still I left feeling like a criminal. I never dreamed that Creed Original Vetiver would elicit the same concern as a Glock.

Cosmetics ;-)

Basenotes Plus

Unfortunately, this is the world we live in since 9/11.

Your best bet is to send it out via USPS.com and do everything online. When they request the contents, just mark it as cosmetics. If worse comes to worse, and you still have concerns, throw in a cheap lipstick from Walmart.

If you print out the label and customs forms online, then all you have to do is drop it into the mailbox without every having to speak to the counter person.

Every shipment that I get from overseas is marked as cosmetics.

Shipping a firearm is a PITA. That is why I use my local FFL to do so, unless it is a factory return, where they send you a label.

I was caught completely off guard at the post office too when the guy suddenly asked me "What's in the package?" and stupidly I answered him with "Cologne." And he refused to ship it out. I left having wished I lied or told him how invasive his question was.

It's also a little strange that she explicitly warned you of the $25,000 fine you could face if you lied. I would find that very insulting.

I think the advice about taking care of everything online is good...or find another post office close by where they're not so nosy and obnoxious.

As for me, I think I'm just going to write 'dildos' on the customs slip from now on and hope that keeps their intrusiveness at bay.
    Top 5 Winter Frags:
    1) Tabac Rouge
    2) Scent of Peace for Him
    3) Amyris Homme
    4) Paris*L.A.
    5) Blackbir
    d

Next time remind her of the felony associated with opening someone else's mail (although...prosecution on a case like that would be humorous).
    To avoid such a hassle, my boss always marked the customs form as a gift, and under the box he just wrote something extremely vague, "case" or "cosmetics."
    Buysblind, I have always wanted to put down, "Adult Toys" but have wondered if anyone at customs would get curious and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    As for me, I think I'm just going to write 'dildos' on the customs slip from now on and hope that keeps their intrusiveness at bay.
    LOL! So tempted to do that next time just to see the postmistress's face, but she would probably tell the whole town!

Blog Entries

Only First Class letters and packages are protected from search without a warrant.

4. Can Postal Inspectors open mail if they feel it may contain something illegal?First-Class letters and parcels are protected against search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and, as such, cannot be opened without a search warrant. If there is probable cause to believe the contents of a First-Class letter or parcel violate federal law, Postal Inspectors can obtain a search warrant to open the mailpiece. Other classes of mail do not contain private correspondence, and therefore may be opened without a warrant.
    https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/faq.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Only First Class letters and packages are protected from search without a warrant.

4. Can Postal Inspectors open mail if they feel it may contain something illegal?First-Class letters and parcels are protected against search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and, as such, cannot be opened without a search warrant. If there is probable cause to believe the contents of a First-Class letter or parcel violate federal law, Postal Inspectors can obtain a search warrant to open the mailpiece. Other classes of mail do not contain private correspondence, and therefore may be opened without a warrant.
    https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/faq.aspx
    That's why I always send via first class . Actually...I use first class simply because it's cheaper.

Eh, as much as it sucks to be limited to some fragrances and potential swapping partners, I respect the postal office's regulations. Things jostle around on a plane and even if packed carefully liquid could leak, glass could break. Although the regulations have more to do with safety/flammable items I would hate to have someone expect a nice fragrance, open up the box, and it's either been taken or leaked out/broken. I know that's a risk even domestically, but at least shipping and returns would be a lot faster and convenient than internationally. Plus ground shipping is OK with fragrances.