Code of Conduct

Default Thickener for oil-based perfumes

I have been searching for a while for a thickener suitable for use in alcohol-free musk type perfumes (attars). For some reason, my customers seem to think that the thicker the oil, the better - and I would like to supply the demand. We're talking ingredients such as galaxolide, vanillin, rose, dpg, patchouli. Do you think that gelatine would work?

Default Re: Thickener for oil-based perfumes

I wouldn't think so and it has a smell of it's own. Why not use a thicker oil for the carrier? What are you currently using?

DPG.
    Some of products I've seen can only be described as honey-like in consistency.

You could make a near solid perfume using beeswax. I would imagine you can make it as loose or as solid as you like. If your customers are to wear this on their skins, then a kinder substrate than DPG would be nicer IMO. Do you actually need it to pour or are you using a wand?

Beeswax is an interesting idea - I hope Aromantic are still around, I know they sell it. Yes, the wand/wiper is necessary instead of the usual roller-ball. IMO?

Any wax will do, including mineral waxes that will be cheaper than beeswax. Even plain petrolatum will work.

I think you will find it helpful to look at the structure of a solid balm perfume. The balance lies with the ratio of the wax and the oil. An equal proportion will give you a really solid perfume, a 4:3 ratio a softer one and the addition of something like shea butter or cocoa butter softens it. Some mucking about with those proportions might give you what you need.
    A word of warning would be to make sure your ingredients blend with the oils and waxes first. Benzoin is a beggar for clouding issues. Also you will need to load your top notes especially citrus ones. Beeswax has it's own powerful smell unless you use the bleached version. There are plenty of recipes online.

Oils used are sweet almond, jojoba, olive, fractionated coconut - depends what longevity you desire
    Waxes used are beeswax, soy, palm, candelilla - depends if you are also catering to vegans, environmental issues, odour etc
    Butters are shea and cocoa

I haven't actually played with all of these, so do report back if you use them for this. I don't guarantee my suggestions will work for a more liquid version but I don't see why not until told otherwise. You may have to test some in case of separation problems if there are any.

- - - Updated - - -

I found this:-
    http://www.alfa-chemicals.co.uk/Divi...-Overview.aspx
    Last edited by mumsy; 5th November 2012 at 11:47 PM.

I hope your wax mixes with DPG, might be a problem. You could change your carier to an oil.

Please note that 'soy wax' and 'palm wax' (plus many more) are not waxes but hydrogenated oils, will work however.

DPG will definitely not dissolve in oil.

If you want a liquid one maybe try castor oil. It's very thick on it's own. But it is sticky, you'd have to pair it with something to alleviate that property. Perhaps a tiny amount of silicone (don't know if it's miscible in oil) or fractionated coconut oil?
    Last edited by ClaraAus; 6th November 2012 at 11:45 PM.

I was hoping to encourage you right off the DPG entirely and onto oil instead.

Thank you all very much. I will experiment with suggestions and I am sure will come up with something excellent.