Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy eBay Strikes Again!

Edit: Please respond to my latest post. Thank you!

Well, I've bought a total of 4 different fragrances from eBay and the first three have been legit. This last one ruined the streak though. I bought Escada Magnetism for Men and thought I'd post some pictures of what a fake one would look like:

This first picture shows the word "Escada" taped to the bottle.

This shows that the bottom of the bottle doesn't even contain a sticker.

No explanation needed. Unbelievable...

A full picture showing that "Escada" is taped on the wrong position of the bottle.

Guys and girls, I know this has been stated numerous times on this website but I'll say it again: Be very careful! Going through the seller's feedback, I realized that he/she had none as a seller. His 20 feedback were for items that were less than 10 cents a piece.

I feel like a complete idiot but I thought this could be another thread showing how to spot a fake even though this was completely obvious.

My question to you now is, where can I get a bottle of Escada Magnetism for Men without using eBay?
    Last edited by mlsweeney; 6th November 2012 at 01:57 PM.

Default Re: eBay Strikes Again!

Wow, thanks for sharing....I've only had a couple of ebay transactions, and they have all gone well, too, after doing as much research on the seller as possible and asking questions. However, situations like this only prove that it's still quite risky to purchase certain things on ebay. My guess is that some sellers that don't normally deal with selling fragrances, may get "taken" themselves with the product, and then they resell them assuming it's genuine, unknowingly passing along the "fake" to the consumer. Then, of course, there just simply some shady sellers out there, too. Either way, again, thanks for another post that proves we should all be VERY careful with stuff like this. Sorry it happened to you, though...have your tried contacting ebay or the seller about it? At the very least, I'd leave some "strong" negative feedback.

NAME AND SHAME ! I honestly think we should have a thread and post the usernames of the people who sell fake bottles.
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

Sorry that happened to you. All the horror stories have prevented me completely from ever purchasing a fragrance from ebay regardless of their feedback, etc..
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...84.m1497.l2776

I contacted him/her for a refund (I think he/she is from an area affected by Hurricane Sandy though so I'm not going to be pushy). I also contacted a person that recently gave him/her a positive feedback for a scent and told them it is more than likely fake. The items the person purchased are completely useless so I feel the person was trying to boost eBay feedback.

I left out the picture and explanation that it did originally come with a cap and spray cap. The second time I removed the cap (it was difficult to take off) the spray cap came off so that's what the third picture is.

If I don't hear from the person in a couple of days, I will contact eBay. Thanks for the responses!

That seems like a blatant example of a fake item.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I feel for you ,really! I am always cautious on ebay and try to stick with used fragrances that are still reasonably full and buy from people that don't "specialize" in fragrances. Try one of these websites:

luckyscent
    theperfumedcourt
    1001fragrance
    FragranceX
    Fragrancenet
    The Perfume Shoppe
    Beautyencounter
    perfumefactory
    Cheapsmell
    perfume emporium
    luxuryperfume
    perfume.com
    onlineshoppingx
    99perfume
    big discount fragrances
    Strawberrynet
    first in fragrance
    escentual
    perfumewarehouse

They are all .com's
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

There are sellers and there are those who are just trying to recoup their expenses. This guy might have accidentally bought a fake from somewhere else and decided to put it out there to see if any sucker would bite. Must be your unlucky day. Hope it didn't cost you to much.

eBay is ok as long as you appreciate the risks and take precautions. I tend to avoid BNIBs except from reputable sellers while for partial bottles, I prefer to see the photos of the actual item. Still it's caveat emptor.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's not an ebay "Top Seller," I don't even look at it anymore. I will say this, though, the last time I got screwed, I contacted ebay and paypal, and they froze the transaction until it was resolved. If you're patient, this should be fixed. Sorry it happened though.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Post Thanks / Like

dont accept anything less than a full refund.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the seller's response:

"I sincerely apologize for the late response. I'm sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with your purchase. I only purchase my merchandise from an authentic perfume seller. However, please send the item back so I can discuss the issue with my supplier. You will be issued a full refund as soon as I receive the item back.

(Address)

Again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you and thank you for your patience and understanding. Please do not leave negative feedback as I am very much willing to resolve the issue with you."

I shouldn't send it back should I?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ebay is actually a VERY reliable website.

As long as you ONLY do business with people who have 99.5%+ feedback and who have sold over 1000 items.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    This is the seller's response:

"I sincerely apologize for the late response. I'm sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with your purchase. I only purchase my merchandise from an authentic perfume seller. However, please send the item back so I can discuss the issue with my supplier. You will be issued a full refund as soon as I receive the item back.

(Address)

Again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you and thank you for your patience and understanding. Please do not leave negative feedback as I am very much willing to resolve the issue with you."

I shouldn't send it back should I?
    I think you should. Just make sure to get some proof of posting.

What does it smell like?

Here is a post that you may find helpful. The buyer goes into great detail about a dispute he had with a seller on eBay over fake perfume.

http://www.dino.co.uk/labs/2011/how-...-mademoiselle/

As NoirDrakkar says, if you're careful eBay can be a great place to buy fragrances. If something looks too good to be true I'll simply send the seller a message asking them if the item is authentic (this will help you down the road as eBay stores all of these messages). I tell the seller that I'm a perfume collector, and if the perfume is counterfeit I will be able to tell immediately and it will turn into a big headache for the both of us. Some of the answers I've gotten in return have been quite comical. One seller replied "yes the item is authentic, but it is C grade quality, meaning the scent only lasts 1-2 hours) lol, another simply said "if you have suspicions about the authenticity of the item in question I would advise yo to NOT PURCHASE THE ITEM!". Good luck man, as Heperd says don't accept anything less than a full refund including shipping charges.

Post Thanks / Like

You should only send it back after you receive a refund or after open a case with ebay and the decision is to get a refund and send it back.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Here is a post that you may find helpful. The buyer goes into great detail about a dispute he had with a seller on eBay over fake perfume.

http://www.dino.co.uk/labs/2011/how-...-mademoiselle/

As NoirDrakkar says, if you're careful eBay can be a great place to buy fragrances. If something looks too good to be true I'll simply send the seller a message asking them if the item is authentic (this will help you down the road as eBay stores all of these messages). I tell the seller that I'm a perfume collector, and if the perfume is counterfeit I will be able to tell immediately and it will turn into a big headache for the both of us. Some of the answers I've gotten in return have been quite comical. One seller replied "yes the item is authentic, but it is C grade quality, meaning the scent only lasts 1-2 hours) lol, another simply said "if you have suspicions about the authenticity of the item in question I would advise yo to NOT PURCHASE THE ITEM!". Good luck man, as Heperd says don't accept anything less than a full refund including shipping charges.
    Great idea, I think I'll do that. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I think you should. Just make sure to get some proof of posting.

What does it smell like?
    Actually doesn't smell too bad. This would be my second fake and both fakes weren't terrible. My comparison would be to open a can of coke, drink half of it, then fill it with water and sell it to someone. The basic premise of the item is there, it's just significantly less potent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    You should only send it back after you receive a refund or after open a case with ebay and the decision is to get a refund and send it back.
    It has been my experience that they wish for the two parties to sort it all out first. IF something can't be resolved, THEN they'll step in. I would say send it back, but keep ALL records of communication between the two of you. Send it with tracking so you know when he's received it, and ask for your refund THAT day. If you do not have a refund within 24 hours, threaten negative feedback (negative feedback halts the payment transfer through Paypal until the issue is resolved). If you still don't have a refund 48 hours after he receives the package, contact ebay, paypal, and leave negative feedback.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    It has been my experience that they wish for the two parties to sort it all out first. IF something can't be resolved, THEN they'll step in. I would say send it back, but keep ALL records of communication between the two of you. Send it with tracking so you know when he's received it, and ask for your refund THAT day. If you do not have a refund within 24 hours, threaten negative feedback (negative feedback halts the payment transfer through Paypal until the issue is resolved). If you still don't have a refund 48 hours after he receives the package, contact ebay, paypal, and leave negative feedback.
    Did the seller pay for your shipping charges?

Post Thanks / Like

The first time this happened: No, but that was a weird situation all around. Short version: He sent me something through UPS. My package arrived destroyed and empty. So there was nothing to ship back.

The second time was a 5 ML sample frag. I'll be honest, I didn't ask about him covering it. I just paid it. Obviously, yours would cost more than mine did. That does change things--hadn't thought about that. I think I would contact ebay. Tell them that he's willing to refund but after you return it--ask them (and/or the seller) about the shipping costs.

Maybe I'm just too trusting, but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I know you're trying to protect yourself from getting screwed, but he might be doing the same thing. If he doesn't refund your money, there are other ways to get it. If he refunds your money and you stiff him (which he may be trying to protect himself from)...then he's out the money AND the frag--fake as it is. If he leaves negative feedback for you, it doesn't really change anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I feel for you ,really! I am always cautious on ebay and try to stick with used fragrances that are still reasonably full and buy from people that don't "specialize" in fragrances. Try one of these websites:

luckyscent
    theperfumedcourt
    1001fragrance
    FragranceX
    Fragrancenet
    The Perfume Shoppe
    Beautyencounter
    perfumefactory
    Cheapsmell
    perfume emporium
    luxuryperfume
    perfume.com
    onlineshoppingx
    99perfume
    big discount fragrances
    Strawberrynet
    first in fragrance
    escentual
    perfumewarehouse

They are all .com's
    Good list... but I would remove FragranceX, and replace it with scentedmonkey.com

Post Thanks / Like

After going through his buyer feedback you are right, pretty much purchased items to raise his feedback score. One of the listings won blatantly describes that you will receive feedback for winning and if you actually want the picture of a cherry being auctioned off email them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/picture-0-01...p2047675.l2557

I wish that I would have seen this post before I received my fake ebay bottle! Same exact everything mlsweeny received. Just sent an email to the seller so, we'll see what the outcome is.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What's wrong with fragrancex?

Quote Originally Posted by Abo View Post
    I wish that I would have seen this post before I received my fake ebay bottle! Same exact everything mlsweeny received. Just sent an email to the seller so, we'll see what the outcome is.
    Send them an image of an authentic bottle, compared to yours. This usually gets them to issue a refund.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner3029 View Post
    What's wrong with fragrancex?
    nothing is wrong with fragrancex. Totally legit. Go through ebates and use coupon code "basenotes" ton save money when buying there.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well i just recently purchased escada magnetism also, first it was sealed which was legit, then first thing i noticed was the cap was black instead of silver and the sticker of escada was in the same place as yours, and finally no sticker on the bottom, but funny thing was my friend has the same bottle he bought from the store years ago and he let me smell his version then compared to mine and it smelled exactly the same which is strange so idk..

Which other 3 colognes did you buy off of eBay? Id like to see some pics of those just for fun. I'd bet they are fake too.

People will go after the best deals and in the case of mass consumed fragrances on eBay - they are getting robbed with crazy-good fakes from China.

No joke I was on there the other day looking at Escada Magnetism myself. I am weary of some on there and other times I have people I can trust. I know its discontinued but I would hope to pay a premium for it if its legit. Kind of like DHI if it was going for $70 vs. $170. I dont know why some sellers think they wont get caught. Thanks for the heads up.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeightseven View Post
    Which other 3 colognes did you buy off of eBay? Id like to see some pics of those just for fun. I'd bet they are fake too.

People will go after the best deals and in the case of mass consumed fragrances on eBay - they are getting robbed with crazy-good fakes from China.
    Not every fragrance sold on eBay is fake...

The other three I bought from official online stores that use eBay to market their product.

Heres the message The seller replied word for word:

"I sincerely apologize for the delay in my response. I only purchase my merchandise from an authentic perfume seller. However, please return the item so I can discuss the issue with my supplier. I will mail you a return postage for this. Once you receive it, please send the item back via first class mail only. Kindly include a copy of this message for my reference. You will be issued a full refund as soon as I receive the item back".

"Again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you and thank you for your patience and understanding. Please do not leave negative feedback as I will do my best to resolve the issue with you".

Sincerely, XXXX

Sounds like something I heard earlier in this thread....