Code of Conduct

Question Aromatics Elixir vs Private Number

How much do these two have in common, apart from the fact that they are both real powerhouses ?
    Which do you prefer and why ?
    Last edited by david; 6th November 2012 at 07:16 PM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Aromatics Elixir vs Private Number

Do you mean Private Collection by Estee Lauder?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Do you mean Private Collection by Estee Lauder?
    Yes, sorry Mike. Thanks for pointing this out !.......I was probably confusing it with the one from Aigner.........
    and your opinion on this question please ? !!!

- - - Updated - - -

Aromatics Elixir (Clinique) vs Private Collection (Estee Lauder), NOT Private Number, (Aigner).

Basenotes Institution

I prefer Private Collection. It's just as lethally strong as AE, especially the parfum/extrait. I mean just one tiny drop of it on skin and it explodes with green/florals, nothing 'private' about it. AE is an acquired taste (I love smelling it on others, I have a hard time wearing it on my own skin where it sort of becomes nuclear and almost shrill). A good alternative, if you can find it, is the new Clinique AE flanker that came out last year, Aromatics Elixir Perfumer's Reserve, which I own and love. It's a toned down, more floral version of AE, very full on chypre still though. Cute bottle too.

Oh, and if you can find Private Collection soap, it's very rare but it smells FAN-tastic in a hot bath. There are only fragrance and Body Lotion as regular in stock items with Lauder for some reason...but sometimes you can find gift sets from the holidays with soap. Strongly scented.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I love them both. And the AE Perfumer's Reserve stays near to hand at all times. Private Collection soap? I must find.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I prefer Private Collection. It's just as lethally strong as AE, especially the parfum/extrait. I mean just one tiny drop of it on skin and it explodes with green/florals, nothing 'private' about it. AE is an acquired taste (I love smelling it on others, I have a hard time wearing it on my own skin where it sort of becomes nuclear and almost shrill). A good alternative, if you can find it, is the new Clinique AE flanker that came out last year, Aromatics Elixir Perfumer's Reserve, which I own and love. It's a toned down, more floral version of AE, very full on chypre still though. Cute bottle too.

Oh, and if you can find Private Collection soap, it's very rare but it smells FAN-tastic in a hot bath. There are only fragrance and Body Lotion as regular in stock items with Lauder for some reason...but sometimes you can find gift sets from the holidays with soap. Strongly scented.
    Thanks for the detailed info and suggestions. The soap sounds great. I find the Guerlain soaps fantastic, very strong ~ like wearing the fragrance itself ! The shower gels are good too, but the downside is that the Guerlain products really dry out the skin. I found a small perfumery that had a bath oil from Chamade....incredible stuff. The bathroom smelled days later and I only used 4 or 5 drops.

Completely different profiles - they are just both very potent. AE is a resinous, balsamic semi-chypre, rich in patchouli and ambers. Private collection a green chypre, with a potent galbanum top note and a slightly soapy drydown. Both very good and inexpensive. While I own and like it a lot, I prefer other green stuff to PC (eg Silences, Metal, even Cristalle), so between the two I prefer AE, or better, its near copy, Aramis 900, which is a touch more floral. The perfumers reserve special edition, as said, was smoother but more persistent, the regular goes into patch more quickly, while the reserve keeps the warm balsamic part longer.

PC also has some expensive near flankers, like the Jasmine white moss, an attempt to do a mossless "chypre", which smells very good and clean, but not particularly chypre.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Completely different profiles - they are just both very potent. AE is a resinous, balsamic semi-chypre, rich in patchouli and ambers. Private collection a green chypre, with a potent galbanum top note and a slightly soapy drydown. Both very good and inexpensive. While I own and like it a lot, I prefer other green stuff to PC (eg Silences, Metal, even Cristalle), so between the two I prefer AE, or better, its near copy, Aramis 900, which is a touch more floral. The perfumers reserve special edition, as said, was smoother but more persistent, the regular goes into patch more quickly, while the reserve keeps the warm balsamic part longer.

PC also has some expensive near flankers, like the Jasmine white moss, an attempt to do a mossless "chypre", which smells very good and clean, but not particularly chypre.

cacio
    Thanks for your help.