Code of Conduct

Default A possible case of scaremongering?

Default Re: A possible case of scaremongering?

Rolls eyes. And, yet, the Europeans continue to smoke like choo-choo trains. Makes no damn sense.

About 1.0-3.0% of the population show contact allergy to some fragrance materials (I don't know many are allergic to a specific allergen). Just over 1.0% of the population are allergic to Peanuts with a huge increase in the number of children who show this allergy. The EU is thinking about banning Tree and Oakmoss, yet have said nothing about banning peanuts. As far as I am aware nobody has died from skin exposure to Oakmoss, many have died from exposure to peanuts. Go figure.

http://1000fragrances.blogspot.co.at...013-adieu.html

Possibly a very good explanation?

These Houses will have to abide though. They can't afford not to. If even one case of serious illness or death can be traced back to one of their products, they will be royally sued up the a..e., and the adverse publicity will bring them crashing down. I don't think comparing peanut consumption to exposure to Oakmoss is comparing like to like, but I get the point.

I read this in The Times today, too.

Still, from the organization that only wants straight bananas, what can one expect?
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Just over 1.0% of the population are allergic to Peanuts with a huge increase in the number of children who show this allergy. The EU is thinking about banning Tree and Oakmoss, yet have said nothing about banning peanuts.
    It's just a matter of time. Peanuts have been removed from airplanes, and the US FAA has considered an official ban. And many US school systems are considering bans on peanut products.

Fragrances are considered an unnecessary luxury, so they're vulnerable. Some of the more crunchy corners of our country would like to ban all fine fragrances. See http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.ht...21&segmentID=5.

I think it could well be scaremongering- the regulations aren't even due to be PROPOSED until 2014. Nothing's been proposed yet, they're only talking about it. And I can't imagine that the fragrance industry, especially the big houses like Chanel are not going to be fighting this for the next year or two.

The article also mentioned that they're going to be looking at how many cases of allergic reactions there actually are, the impact on the fragrance industry and the economy as a whole before they even propose anything.

I'll be watching this one, but I'm not panicking yet.

If you are not backing up stuff that really matters to you already, now might be a good time to start

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    If you are not backing up stuff that really matters to you already, now might be a good time to start
    But it will cost you more than if you started earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I need to stare at my collection with this in mind, while at the same time, not going nuts.

It has reached the mainstream media here, too, saying Chanel No. 5 is threatened to be discontinued, referring to Brad Pitt as No. 5 model and quoting also Roja Dove (he comes up with the (pea)nut comparison). The Daily Mail article seems to be the reference.

From the article :

"Other famous fragrances that could be affected include Guerlain's Shalimar and Angel by Thierry Mugler."
    What in the world do they mean by "could" ? Regulations are regulations : these frags will be affected and all parties concerned need to come right out and say so.

As to scaremongering, what the heck did the industry expect in this day and age, when they began having an official fit about fragrances containing "dangerous ingredients" that need to be regulated for the safety of the public ?

If the public begins seeing perfume as suspicious and potentially toxic, one has to reflect on exactly who's efforts it was that raised the alarm in the first place.

When all is said and done, the fragrance industry may look back and realize that they've shot themselves in the foot with all of this, and have no one to blame but themselves for actively legitimizing the idea of perfume as toxic in the public's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post
    Fragrances are considered an unnecessary luxury, so they're vulnerable. Some of the more crunchy corners of our country would like to ban all fine fragrances.
    Agree.