Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default why you should NOT buy from Amazon.com

I wrote this as a piece of advice for those who are starting out in their fragrance journey, but I was also surprised how many people who are years into their fragrance journey do not know this.

When people think of a website to buy fragrances online which often results in fakes being disseminated, most people think of Ebay. Ebay does have a lot of fakes, but it is safe because it has a feedback system to discourage fraud and counterfeiting. If you deal with sellers who have sold over 1000 items and have 99.5%+ feedback, you are less likely to receive a counterfeit, but there is always that risk.

The only worse well-known website for buying fragrance than Ebay is Amazon.

Amazon is probably the most well-reputed online website. Probably the most successful and recognizable. So, why is that? For that very reason. The same people who don't trust Ebay because there is a margin of risk, are often too willing to put their trust into Amazon as an infallibly legitimate website.

The problem with Amazon is that a lot of their fragrances, they don't sell directly. They import their fragrances from other websites most of the time. Some of those websites are legitimate, but others sell counterfeits. The way Amazon works is that it highlights the cheapest website you can get an item from, assuming that all of the websites are equal in reliability in quality.

The problem is that Amazon doesn't specialize in any field, so they do not have the logistics to effectively determine which websites are legitimate and which aren't. They aren't selling you the counterfeits, but they are middlemen for websites that do. This applies just as much (if not more) to watches and purses sold on there as well.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: why you should NOT buy from Amazon.com

I completely agree with you. In fact, the only online purchase of a fragrance where I received a counterfeit was Amazon. Years ago I purchased a bottle of 212 from that website and it was a fake. Amazon is good, however, at accepting returns. So usually you will not have a problem with that. Usually prior to purchasing anything at Amazon that is not being sold to you directly from Amazon, will list the seller's name and reputation. I look into the seller's rating and purchase history in order to avoid any future mistakes.

Just look out for sold directly from Amazon. If that's the case then they are by far one of the best places to buy from, their prices are a lot of the time very low, and if there is any problem their customer service is top notch.

I'll agree about being careful with 3rd party sellers on there. I bought Prada Amber PH from beautyencounter (a well known website) and got some lackluster results - my original came with a broken off atomizer and the silver plate was scratched, I told them it was unacceptable since it was listed as new, after 3 weeks of waiting I got my replacement and it was clearly used and had the same scratches on the silver plate. I kept it since it was such a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Just look out for sold directly from Amazon. If that's the case then they are by far one of the best places to buy from, their prices are a lot of the time very low, and if there is any problem their customer service is top notch.
    Agree.

Yes, you're usually pretty safe if you make sure Amazon is the seller and fulfilling the order, not a 3rd Party.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    This. Buying on the Amazon web site from a third-party seller is not buying from Amazon (Amazon is essentially just acting as a sales portal for the third-party seller who is the seller of record). If we are talking about buying directly from Amazon (where Amazon is the seller of record), there should not only be no worries, but it is highly recommended as they frequently are very price competitive.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Being a Prime member, I love Amazon. I prefer Ebay for fragrance buying though.

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Yes, you're usually pretty safe if you make sure Amazon is the seller and fulfilling the order, not a 3rd Party.
    Correct, also watch out for "Sold by X seller fulfilled by Amazon" just means the 3rd party seller shipped their items to amazon warehouse so it is shipped on the sellers behalf by Amazon. The seller pays for this service, which in turn helps the sellers legitimacy that you are going to receive the product but doesn't guarantee not receiving a counterfeit.

As a total newbie to this, I guess I'm really surprised that there are SO MANY fakes out there. I mean, I knew counterfeit products existed (mostly designer handbags) but I didn't know it was so prevalent that you're actually more likely to get a fake than the real thing from places that you would normally not think twice about buying from!

I haven't had any issues with fakes from Amazon yet, but I have received an old bottle of perfume from a 3rd party seller. I find resolving issues are much easier on Amazon than eBay. I told the company that the juice had gone bad in the bottle, and right away they gave me a refund. I offered to ship the bottle back, but they told me to just toss it.

Most of the time, I buy fragrances from Amazon directly and I haven't had any problems so far. I buy from Parfum1 and FragranceNet through Amazon too because I have Amazon's credit card, and I accumulate more points if I buy through its site.

Thank you for the public service announcement. My ignorance has been cured and it's all thanks to you. You are a hero. Thanks for all that you do for the Basenotes community.
    Last edited by freebase221; 7th November 2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: msacras

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freebase221 View Post
    Thank you for the public service announcement. My ignorance has been cured and it's all thanks to you. You are a hero. Thanks for all that you do for the Basenotes community.
    anytime

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    anytime
    That dude was making fun of you (see reason for edit if the ridiculous comment wasn't enough). But I do think your headline is overly sensationalist at best and downright misleading at worst. When you buy a product on Amazon that is sold and shipped by Amazon, you are not only buying from one of the most legitimate and "consumer-centric" companies on the planet, you are covering yourself 100%. Only when you buy from some random third-party seller are you putting yourself at any kind of risk. This of course is true of *any* website that allows third-party sellers online (Newegg, Sears, etc). The headline should read "Why you should NOT buy from some online retailer you know nothing about". This is not endemic to Amazon, but to unscrupulous retailers, which exist both online and in real life.

Just to add my experience of buying from amazon. I have bought lot of stuff from amazon because of their competitive prices, so i tried my hand on perfumes. Ordered Cool water which was sold by a third party, did not know back then that it could be fake and it turned out to be fake. Ordered Cool water again this time it was "sold by amazon" so decided to go ahead with it and again its a fake and they do not take the perfumes back because of their inflammable nature and stuff. So just wanted to let you guys know that even perfumes which are being sold by amazon themselves can also be fake.

I think you could have been a little more specific in your description of how Amazon works.

There's third party vendors (some probably selling fakes or REALLY OLD stock)

and then there's direct from Amazon (who is most likely drop shipping from another very respectable company).

I got my Aventus from Amazon for $164 shipped and couldn't be happier.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

I buy everything from a real shop, after having checked it out on-site and in-person. I do not agree with Amazon's business model.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by infatuation View Post
    Just to add my experience of buying from amazon. ... Ordered Cool water again this time it was "sold by amazon" so decided to go ahead with it and again its a fake and they do not take the perfumes back because of their inflammable nature and stuff. So just wanted to let you guys know that even perfumes which are being sold by amazon themselves can also be fake.
    Are you sure it is fake and have proof to support your claim? That is a pretty strong accusation you are making at a multi-billion dollar company like Amazon with a very good track record of excellent customer service and integrity. If you do indeed have the proof, then by all means produce it.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I agree with OP mostly...BUT there are many fine online fragrance sellers that you all trust and buy from who also use Amazon as a vehicle. I was looking for YSL l'Homme Libre, and found it on Parfum1 for one price. I found it on EBAY listed by Parfum1 for a higher price, and on Amazon but sold and shipped through Parfum1 for a less price. It turned out fine, and I had no issues. BUT their feedback system sucks compared to EBAY so there IS a higher chance of ripoff...Just remember Caveat Emptor...

As I said I have bought a lot of stuff from amazon and will continue doing it. But will be skeptical when I think of buying a fragrance. I don't know how to answer your question, if I have a proof for what I am saying. I have the second cool water bottle which I bought last week and if there's any way I can send it to you to verify I will be more than happy to do it along with the receipt from amazon where they are listed as seller and shipper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am/have been a member of several forums and there is one thing they all have in common. People trying to save a few bucks anyway they can. And when I say "a few" I really mean pennies in the grand scheme of things. What about that thread decrying the buying of sampler packs as it costs an extra few Dollars in postage? If that's your concern, I think a fragrance forum might be a little beyond your pocketbook.
    So many people mourning the death of the High St, talking about how terrible it is that nothing is Made in (insert name of any Western country) anymore. Yet people are sitting on 25, 30 top fragrances, b*tching about postage costs, going to high end watch shops to try on an Omega with absolutely no intention of buying offline.
    I recommend we all support as many actual, real-life shops as possible.

Sound Scents

As I said I have bought a lot of stuff from amazon and will continue doing it. But will be skeptical when I think of buying a fragrance. I don't know how to answer your question, if I have a proof for what I am saying. I have the second cool water bottle which I bought last week and if there's any way I can send it to you to verify I will be more than happy to do it along with the receipt from amazon where they are listed as seller and shipper.

I guess before doing anything as involved as mailing me or anyone else the bottle for analysis the follow-up question I have is why are you certain it is fake? Many folks have believed they have fake bottles of product XYZ only to find out later "after further review" they are not... So, what is the tell-tale sign you have that makes you so sure that you received two bottles in a row of "fake" Cool Water, one directly sold by Amazon?
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Traditionalist View Post
    I am/have been a member of several forums and there is one thing they all have in common. People trying to save a few bucks anyway they can. And when I say "a few" I really mean pennies in the grand scheme of things. What about that thread decrying the buying of sampler packs as it costs an extra few Dollars in postage? If that's your concern, I think a fragrance forum might be a little beyond your pocketbook.
    So many people mourning the death of the High St, talking about how terrible it is that nothing is Made in (insert name of any Western country) anymore. Yet people are sitting on 25, 30 top fragrances, b*tching about postage costs, going to high end watch shops to try on an Omega with absolutely no intention of buying offline.
    I recommend we support whatever supply and demand decides to be most economical for us.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I recommend we support whatever supply and demand decides to be most economical for us.
    It is sad to see real-life shops that actually bear some tradition/history to them close down, but the market evolves. Like noirdrakkar alludes in his post, supply and demand will always be prevalent. The consumer is adapting, it is up to the vendor to adapt as well.

Basenotes Junkie

Why do you think they are fake? Maybe post some pics.

I buy everything from a real shop, after having checked it out on-site and in-person. I do not agree with Amazon's business model.
    You mean a business model that actually makes money. If mom and pop want to stay in business they better get with the times and price match the online vendors.

Okay, so the thing that makes me feel its fake are mainly that i do not get to smell any of the top notes mainly lavender as people say and then the dry down is very fast and within 15-20 minutes i am not able to smell it on me. I applied 2 sprays on neck and one on wrist and after 2 hours could barely make it out on my wrist. I thought may be its something with my skin, tried it on my shirt and almost the same result. I will admit I am relatively new to this fragrance world and do not have many fragrances in my collection but after reading so many good reviews about the projection and longevity of this perfume I am very disappointed with this bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    You mean a business model that actually makes money. If mom and pop want to stay in business they better get with the times and price match the online vendors.
    Having learned about the working conditions of those employed by Amazon UK, I'm not surprised they make money. I personally would rather spend a little more than have yet another doughnut town.

Having learned about the working conditions of those employed by Amazon UK, I'm not surprised they make money. I personally would rather spend a little more than have yet another doughnut town.
    I've heard that about them, but anytime a company is as big as they are your going to hear bad things. If not them then WalMart would put everyone out of business and they treat their employee's like slaves.

Okay, so the thing that makes me feel its fake are mainly that i do not get to smell any of the top notes mainly lavender as people say and then the dry down is very fast and within 15-20 minutes i am not able to smell it on me. I applied 2 sprays on neck and one on wrist and after 2 hours could barely make it out on my wrist. I thought may be its something with my skin, tried it on my shirt and almost the same result. I will admit I am relatively new to this fragrance world and do not have many fragrances in my collection but after reading so many good reviews about the projection and longevity of this perfume I am very disappointed with this bottle.
    So you really have no reason to think its fake. You bought a fragrance that you'd never smelled before based on positive reviews, and it didn't turn out the way you had hoped. End of story.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 9th March 2013 at 08:27 AM.

Ebay and Amazon is a nono for me.

I've heard that about them, but anytime a company is as big as they are your going to hear bad things. If not them then WalMart would put everyone out of business and they treat their employee's like slaves.
    If my language skills weren't that limited I would love to discuss this in depth with you. Though, it might get a little political.

Size or success of a company does neither justify nor imply exploitation of employees. That's a myth, kept alive by greed and convenience.

I agree with The Traditionalist. Anyone who can afford a brand new full-size bottle of perfume can afford to buy it somewhere else than on/from Amazon. It's just one question: do you care? Are you willing to use your power and responsibility as a customer/consumer to make a statement in order to changing conditions you personally would never want to be a part of.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    So you really have no reason to think its fake. You bought a fragrance that you'd never smelled before based on positive reviews, and it didn't turn out the way you had hoped. End of story.
    This.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Junkie

Without going into too much detail, how does Amazon "exploit" their employees? I have never heard anything about this.

I would think twice next time before announcing to the largest fragrance forum on the planet that the largest retailer on the planet sent you a fake fragrance. Especially without proof or evidence. Just my two cents.

Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    If my language skills weren't that limited I would love to discuss this in depth with you. Though, it might get a little political.

Size or success of a company does neither justify nor imply exploitation of employees. That's a myth, kept alive by greed and convenience.

I agree with The Traditionalist. Anyone who can afford a brand new full-size bottle of perfume can afford to buy it somewhere else than on/from Amazon. It's just one question: do you care? Are you willing to use your power and responsibility as a customer/consumer to make a statement in order to changing conditions you personally would never want to be a part of.
    Yeah, I don't think you misunderstood what I was saying. Never did I imply that it was justified to treat employee's poorly. As far as trying to save the world good luck with that. I drive a Ford that's made in America, but half the parts are from Mexico so your not telling me anything that isn't blatently obvious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Without going into too much detail, how does Amazon "exploit" their employees? I have never heard anything about this.
    Same old thing. They have some people who can't manage their distribution center's and take it upon themselves to decide what's best for Amazon and themselves instead of following labor laws. From what I remember they addressed the issues (fired the managers) and addressed the employee problems.
    Some people just don't like big business. They'd rather support the little person which I can understand, but they get on this self rightious kick. The way I look at it is if you aren't smart enough to adjust to change then your going to go out of business anyways and your just prolonging the inevitable. Plus there's really not a lot you can offer that makes it worth paying retail. This isn't like the restaurant business where you can offer up a better dining experience because the foods better.
    Last edited by silentrich; 9th March 2013 at 06:42 PM.

Why is there a picture of Eckhart Tolle in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Why is there a picture of Eckhart Tolle in this thread?
    I thought he looked familiar, but I couldn't play his face. Lol.......

Yeah, I don't think you misunderstood what I was saying. Never did I imply that it was justified to treat employee's poorly. As far as trying to save the world good luck with that. I drive a Ford that's made in America, but half the parts are from Mexico so your not telling me anything that isn't blatently obvious.
    I often find it so annoying when people in forums don't read properly before replying. Obviously I didn't, too. I was reading bear instead of hear. Sorry!

I don't want to go further down this road. Politics is not acceptable according to the posting rules and the information is readily available. We should also remember that one man's "Common Sense" is another man's "Political Statement". I personally feel that the experience of buying something as inherently self-indulgent and luxurious as perfume should be done with dignity and if at all possible, class, not with a penny-pinching mouse-click.

^exactly.
    This should be renamed to people without common sense should NOT buy from amazon.com
    Every time I've order something from them I've been 100% satisfied.