Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Transparent radiance

I've lately come around to L'Artisan Timbuktu, which I'm finally appreciating for a sort of smooth, sheer, shimmering quality which feels strangely both contemplative but also fresh and crisp. I used to find it very similar to CdG Kyoto (and, granted, they DO share similarities, not the least of which is Duchaufour as perfumer), and I think in the past I expected it to be darker and more resinous, given my expectations of "incense." It's likely time to grab a bottle.

This shimmering, radiant, crisp, transparent quality fascinates me. It's an effect I also get from Comme des Garçons 2 edp, Givenchy Insense, Troisieme Homme, and Coriolan. In the case of Timbuktu, it's especially interesting to experience this quality combined with an incense feel.

Interestingly, I'd also put Jubilation XXV here, as it's lighter and more sheer than its rich ingredients and opulent-leaning house would suggest. It wears lightly and elegantly on me (though by "light" I don't mean faint, as its presence is distinct. It's just not "thick.")

My question is, does anyone else sense the similarity between these fragrances? And what else would fall into this group for you?

Default Re: Transparent radiance

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I've lately come around to L'Artisan Timbuktu, which I'm finally appreciating for a sort of smooth, sheer, shimmering quality which feels strangely both contemplative but also fresh and crisp.
    It's a wonderful scent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like Timbuktu with it's incense aroma is just timeless. It does wear lightly though; not a heavy scent.
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi there! "Shimmering, radiant, crisp, transparent" are all qualities that I love. TryMaison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire. Homme or Femme. Try both if you can. Both gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Hi there! "Shimmering, radiant, crisp, transparent" are all qualities that I love. TryMaison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire. Homme or Femme. Try both if you can. Both gorgeous.

Couldn't agree more about Lumiere Noire. +1

Don't feel that way about Timbuktu or any of the others mentioned however.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on a common signature of Timbuktu, Jub XXV and the CDG incenses - that background radiance given by who knows what synthetic combo. Duchafour and Buxton apparently owe something to each other (Buxton did many CDG, including CDG2).

I do not get a similar feel from Insense or Troisieme, though they are certainly very intense. A recent perfume I've found especially radiant is Malle Portrait of a Lady, though, again, I'm not sure what synthetics account for its atmosphere.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose part of what I mean by radiance is a definite presence, or strength of presence, without feeling heavy. Sunlight can dazzle but it's weightless. My wearings of Timbuktu so far have been almost like a shimmering mirage; I don't feel like I'm surrounded by a thick cloud, but rather sheets of light which here and there appear, and are then gone again, only to reappear brightly a few minutes later.

I may have been wrong to put Insense and Troisieme Homme in this category. I think it's more that both of those scents remind me of CdG2 and Timbuktu because of their crisp "high" notes and a "sheer" feeling. Not sure how else to describe that aspect.

Post Thanks / Like

Iso E Super?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Iso E Super?
    Definitely. I'd also like to add Rose31 and CdG 2MAN on your try list.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Try:

L'Essence de Cerruti by Cerruti - One is initially treated to an invigorating bergamot, with its orangey bittersweetness and peppery facets. The freshness of the bergamot commingles with the compost-like and ever-so-slight barnyard aspects of white pepper. Segueing to the middle, the mintiness of birch encases the fresh opening, and infuses its wintergreen sweetness. A raw and somewhat phenolic leather wafts in the background along with the hay-like character of saffron. Transitioning to the comforting base, a creamy cedar infuses its resinous and camphoraceous woodiness, along with the sweetly vanillic and faintly earthy quality of amber. A sensual, fur/skin-like and warm musk also presents. An alluring drydown ensues. This masculine composition is well blended, and has good longevity, 8+ hours, and average projection, being light enough for an office scent. Given its very reasonable, price point, this versatile and somewhat elegant composition is worthy of purchase..

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect you could be picking up on the incense note which can certainly be described as radiant, crisp and transparent. But that you also find it in Troisieme however baffles me.