Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dubai

Default Re: 5 hours at Dubai Airport - what to buy

I would check out some of their Arabian fragrances.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Default Re: 5 hours at Dubai Airport - what to buy

Thanks everyone. Reached home now.
    5 hours at Dubai airport didn't turnout as enjoyable, as I reached the airport at 12 midnight. It is a crowded place!!!!!!!!!
    Got to spent 30 minutes at the fragrance section. First grabbed a bottle of Pure Havane (USD 66). Then looked around, Sampled Tom Ford private blends (no amber absolute as I expected). Also only 50 and 250 ml bottled. (50 for USD 180 and 250 for USD 448). The tom ford rep suggested that I could buy 2 50 ml bottles if I wanted 100ml (LOL).
    Also sampled some others including Armani Prive and Amouage as as suggested by you guys. BTW creed was quite expensive , (120 ml bottles for USD 200 (GIT)).
    Then meanwhile this guy from the Arabian Section caught me. He was an aggressive salesperson, And then I fell hook, line and sinker. He ended up selling me a bottle of Arabian Oud's Kalemat (USD 88). Very sweet, sans alcohol. ( Top Note: Bilberry and anise
    Middle Note: Rosemary and Kashmir wood
    Base Note: Musk, sweet amber and honey leaves).
    Anyway that is what I returned with.
    I regret I left the Hermes TDH EDP (75ml for USD 116).
    Thanks guys for you suggestions.
    Bye
    Last edited by drtu; 5th July 2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Default Best buy from Dubai.....

Soon I would be in Dubai (airway transit). I am particularly interested to try some unique local fragrance brands. I guess strong & long lasting fragrances are specialty of middle east. What would be a best buy or best to try fragrance in Dubai airport?

Default Re: Best buy from Dubai.....

...ask Hedonist222...!
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 2nd October 2012 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...ask Hedonist...!
    Thank you for your suggestion "Trauerkraut". Certinly I will write to Hedonist.

I was there yesterday and there is a shop opposite the Lindt chocolate stand, it sells mostly copies of very popular designer fragrances but in between them there are a few very nice oud based frags that smell great and are less than $20.

I picked up two: Oud Ehsasi Limited Edition (sandalwoody) and Mukhallat Ayouni (smells a lot like Tom Ford Tuscan Leather). They are both eau de parfum and they are made in the UAE so if you want real local frags something like those two would be my choice. Otherwise they have a good selection of mostly non-UAE, Arabian frags in the main frag store, these include many oils as well as Amouage. This is an easy store to find as you go into the transit area it's to your right. The other place is to your left close to the B- and C-gates

For Arabic perfumes I'd suggest pure oud oil either from Abdul Samad AlQurashi or Ajmal or Rasasi or Yas the Royal Name in Perfumes (and tacky name for a perfume house).

Or anything from Amouage.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    For Arabic perfumes I'd suggest pure oud oil either from Abdul Samad AlQurashi or Ajmal or Rasasi or Yas the Royal Name in Perfumes (and tacky name for a perfume house).

Or anything from Amouage.
    Definitely! The duty free in Dubai is one of the best in the world. They have a big selection of Amouage attars that are not available outside the GCC, and they also carry the Ajmal pure oud oils and mukhallats (perfume blends).

If you are interested in other rare-ish perfumes, they also have the Guerlain Les Deserts d'Orient, which are not readily available in many places.

They also have some of the designer niche lines - Tom Ford Private Blends, the Chanel Exclusifs, and Dior Collection Privee, I think.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Definitely! The duty free in Dubai is one of the best in the world. They have a big selection of Amouage attars that are not available outside the GCC, and they also carry the Ajmal pure oud oils and mukhallats (perfume blends).

If you are interested in other rare-ish perfumes, they also have the Guerlain Les Deserts d'Orient, which are not readily available in many places.

They also have some of the designer niche lines - Tom Ford Private Blends, the Chanel Exclusifs, and Dior Collection Privee, I think.
    AFAIK they have all the TF Private Blends. I tried their new ones and TF Noir. I think I might have seen the Dior Collection too. They have all the expensive stuff that's for sure. Not many Creeds though.

Well when I was there this past summer I ended up trying a lot of Amouage, CdG, Xerjoff. Ended up leaving the store with 5 new bottles of Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Wow, there're Les Exclusifs sold at the duty free shops?? Is it at Chanel boutique?
    The same question about Dior, is there something like Dior' corner?
    Your Perfume Guide (all about city shopping guides and list of parfums by dominating note)

Quote Originally Posted by Dariushka View Post
    Wow, there're Les Exclusifs sold at the duty free shops?? Is it at Chanel boutique?
    The same question about Dior, is there something like Dior' corner?
    I wouldn't swear to all of them - I know for sure that I saw the TF PBs, the Guerlains, and the Amouge attars.

I think I saw the Chanels and Diors, or maybe only the Diors. I also went to the Dubai mall on another trip and they had damn near everything there, except the small niche brands.

It's obvious that travelers through Dubai are high end perfume shoppers. The shops are open 24 hours, too. I think it's because there are a lot of red-eye long haul flights departing there. I was had a 4 hour layover there before a 3AM departure to Paris and it was crazy busy.

Good dates, too.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    I was there yesterday and there is a shop opposite the Lindt chocolate stand, it sells mostly copies of very popular designer fragrances but in between them there are a few very nice oud based frags that smell great and are less than $20.

I picked up two: Oud Ehsasi Limited Edition (sandalwoody) and Mukhallat Ayouni (smells a lot like Tom Ford Tuscan Leather). They are both eau de parfum and they are made in the UAE so if you want real local frags something like those two would be my choice. Otherwise they have a good selection of mostly non-UAE, Arabian frags in the main frag store, these include many oils as well as Amouage. This is an easy store to find as you go into the transit area it's to your right. The other place is to your left close to the B- and C-gates
    Thank you chopwet.

Default Dubai

Hi all

I'm in Dubai for a few days... seeing how big they are over fragrances, is there any you recommend me checking out? NOT looking for an Arabian fragrance just something new (since they get them first) or exclusive to Dubai...

Let me know!

Mike

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Dubai

Send hedonist222 a PM. He can tell you anything you want to know about the area.

In Dubai I know it's easier to come by fragrances by Parfums de Marly than west of the Atlantic so maybe one in their line.

There's no Frederic Malle in Dubai huh? I'm looking to get Musc Ravageur but didn't find it anywhere...

Guerlain's Mythiques D'Orient was a decent trio, I smelled some while passing by at the airport. Also, LIDGE is quite cheap in Dubai.

What happened actually with Le Labo, does Paris Gallery not sell it anymore? UAE completely disappeared from Le Labo' stockists countries
    Your Perfume Guide (all about city shopping guides and list of parfums by dominating note)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
    There's no Frederic Malle in Dubai huh?
    As of Nov 2012 , no.

Quote Originally Posted by Dariushka View Post
    What happened actually with Le Labo, does Paris Gallery not sell it anymore? UAE completely disappeared from Le Labo' stockists countries
    Paris Gallery is no longer the Le Labo agent.

Le Labo revoked agent status from Paris Gallery.

Le Labo will very soon be available at Harvey Nichols and Bloomindgale's.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 19th November 2012 at 10:44 AM.

for swap/sale:

hedonist, thanks, you're big help, as usual

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
    There's no Frederic Malle in Dubai huh? I'm looking to get Musc Ravageur but didn't find it anywhere...
    As of March 2013 - a Frederic Malle counter is being created in Harvey Nichols - Mall of the Emirates

for swap/sale:

Default Re: where is the best place to buy frag in dubai?

A friend is flying through Dubai and wants to know what he should be checking out at the duty-free.

thanks for these lists guys, I'll be in Dubai next week for a few days. I doubt that I'll be buying a lot of stuff but I have a few hours to myself when I arrive (it's a work trip) so I'll be in test heaven for those few hours at least at the airport (or a quick visit to the Perfume Souk at Deira if I can find it! Metro Map please be kind to me!)

Unless you're you plan on getting to Deira early in the morning, you'll spend more time in traffic than in perfume shops.

For someone unfamiliar with , I wouldn't attempt it with less than four free hourDfrees.

I'd opt for Dubai mall. Between Bloomingdales & Paris gallery & a handful of boutiques around the corner leading you to Galleries Lafayette.

for swap/sale: