Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dubai

Default Re: Going to Dubai! where to go?

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    It's almost impossible for you to visit here unless you are a citizen of one of the other Gulf countries or get a visa for religious purposes or are invited here by the government for official or business reasons.

KSA is like Kuwait, only worse.;-) Not worth visiting IMO. But perfumes generally do cost less than than many other places.
    I am from Kuwait. And honestly I wouldn't remotely compare KSA to Kuwait, it's more like Iran, but worse. Unless you're talking about Perfume prices. Though I'm not sure if I'd still want to go there for a deal on Frederic Malle. You probably know how hard it is for someone to visit the KSA regardless, and yeah probably impossible for foreigners. Too bad it's pretty much the biggest place for perfumes in the world along with France

I have a friend going to Dubai! I want her to get me a perfume. But I don't know which one to get and where to direct her? Please help!!!!!

I can tell you what's available and where.

Paris Gallery:
    Le Labo
    Guerlain exclusives - all
    Comme DES garcons
    Bond no. 9
    Prada parfum exclusives
    Micallef
    Tom Ford
    Armani exclusives

Bloomingdale's:
    Acqua di Parma
    Miller Harris
    Dyptique
    Penhaligon's
    L'Artisan Parfumeur
    L'Ombré rose
    Serge Lutens
    Bois 1920
    Kiehl's

Boutiques:
    Etro
    Chanel (exclusives)
    Hermes
    Tom Ford
    Dyptique
    The Different Company
    PEnhaligon's
    Creed
    Amouage
    Clarins
    Jo Malone
    Corneliani (the cologne)
    Caron
    L'artisan Parfumeur

Galerie Lafayette:
    Serge Lutens
    Parfum D'Empire
    Mona di Orio
    Rose rossine
    Lorenzo Villoresi
    Victor et Hugo - people of the Labyrinth
    Frapin
    Annick Goutal
    Reminiscence
    Parfumerie Generale

Harvey Nichols:

Same as bloomingdale's but add Guerlain exclusives and Dior exclusives.

Hope this helps.

Wow hedonist!!! thank you for that!!!! That's crazy!! So many choices! I was only thinking of only one house, now I am so tempted. oh no.

No problem ! My pleasure.

I obviously left out desingers because those all available all over the place.

All the above , Paris Gallery, boutiques, galerie Lafayette , bloomingdale's are in Dubai Mall. Only Harvey Nichols is in Mall of the Emirates (10 minute drive from Dubai Mall).

What are you contemplating ? Is there anything specific? I can check availability and prices to lessen the burden on your friend.

Actually I am thinking between Le Labo, Parfumerie Generale, or Frapin. Coz I don't have a frag from these house. This is going to be a blind buy, by the way. hahahaha

Hedonist gave you a complete list perhaps only missing the Middle Eastern houses. Most importantly Oud Gallery which are Dubai exclusives as far as I know? I am not sure.

Volley2, from your post I might say you're the one with the closest taste to mine. So if I may recommend a perfume, It'd be Amouage Asrar Attar. It's a deep creamy Saffron, and if I remember correctly, it cost me about $120, three times cheaper than what it goes for in the few stores that carry it online.

I'm not sure what lines you don't have where you live. But for example Guerlain exclusives where slightly more expensive. Than that, I'm sure you have access to most of those other houses. Almost all the mainstream Middle Eastern houses have a store in Dubai Mall, including Al Jazera which sells Montale plus their own blends, I hear Al Salasel is one of their best known ones. Oud Gallery was the surprise to me though, since I've never heard of that house. They're more of an EdP store than a traditional perfume oils store. Their prices average a $100 or so. I've got "Fdaitek" from them, which is also saffron based.

EDIT: I just saw your other reply.

I was completely disappointed with Le Labo. The only fragrance from them I liked was Iris 39, which is a very rooty, green, creamy iris with carrots. I love sniffing it but I doubt I'd wear it to go out.

Frapin is one of my favorite houses, all about boozy spiciness. Caravelle Epicee and L'Humaniste are my favorites, 1270 is worth mentioning as well.

PG is quite accessible as far as I know. if you're getting something from that house, get one of their limited editions such as L'Ombre Fauve or their new tonka and Santal fragrances. While I love almost every PG I've tried, complex high quality stuff, they lack longevity it seems.

All divine houses.
    I can't reccomend anything because my taste may be different than yours.

I know for a fact that Caravelle Epices by Frapin is out of stock because i bought the last one a couple of weeks ago and i doubt they have it in stock.

I'll do this, tell me what you're interested in and I'll check availability.
    What about Alamut by Lorenzo Villoresi? Lol

I just wen through your wardrobe and surprisingly we have the exact taste. Meaning i have or like all the perfumes you listed from each individual house.

I can then suggest rose 31, bergamote and patchouli from Le Labo. Labdanum is nice but a little too light.

From Frapin, 1270 and Caravelle epices.

I have not delved too much in PG unfortunately.

looks like you can do better to buy amouage from the US, but try Ajmal cause here you really can't smell any of their things... and... there are low to high end fragrances there something to please somewhere inthere no doubt and nothing you could get here

Thank you for the replies guys.

@Ekove: Oud Gallery sounds awesome!!! Oud Gallery is the name of the shop and can be found in Dubai Mall, is that correct?

I do like the arabian style! Now im curious with Al Salasel and Fdaitek....

I would avoid Arabian perfumes that are not pure Oud oil. The "mukhalat" which literally means mixtures tend to be synthetic and cheap. They're like knock off versions of Montale and Amouage. For Arabic perfumes stick to pure Oud oil. Most of these perfumes by places like Ajmal and Abdul Samad AlQurashi are not quality in terms of ingredients and accords.

Buy some oure Cambodian Oud. Stuff that's about $400 for the 15ml. This is what we (Arabs) use from these stores.

If you want Arab influenced perfumes then you have Montale, Mancera and Amouage.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 1st April 2011 at 01:58 PM.

Volley, as far as oud gallery, yes it's in Dubai Mall, in two locations actually. Al Salsel is from Al Jazeera, also in the mall.

I partially agree with hedonist, general alcohol based perfumes are horribly done by middle eastern houses. The only exceptions are Amouage, Montale(sometimes), and to me, oud gallery (Sometimes). You are better off buying oils. Now I disagree Mukhallats are bad. Sure there are $10 ones that suck, but are you saying something like Homage or Tribute is highly Synthetic? and I think ASAQ has stuff of equal quality. Avoid Pure Ouds, you can easily get them online from omniscent and agaraura. If you were to get a Mukhallat, I recommend Amouage and ASAQ, but you'll be looking at a minimum of $300/tola for a good blend high quality blend.

Ekove, no I said above that apart from a few brands like Amouage and a few certain prices at ASAQ , most others are really bad.

I would recommend something French or Italian or Oud oil.

I can easily get Amouage in Hong KOng at a good price. With Montale, which one would you recommend, perhaps Dubai exclusive?

I'm not a Montale fan really. If i want Oud based perfumes I'll go for Leather Oud, Oud Wood and a few others.

Default 5 hours at Dubai Airport - what to buy

Hi
    I will be passing through Dubai Airport tomorrow .
    I want to buy a couple of fragrances.
    On top of my wish list Is a Vanilla fragrance. Which one to buy that has the maximum longevity?
    I am planning to pickup Hermes TDH EDP, mugler havane surely and one more that you would suggest.
    Thanks

Default Re: 5 hours at Dubai Airport - what to buy

Not a vanilla fragrance but see if they have L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme EdP as it is a bit difficult to find here. It's an elegant cocoa scent with great silage and longevity. It is a little sweet but in a warming way. Truly a fragrance with very few things to criticize.

Banned

Try:

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain - Upon application, one is treated to an entrancing melange. Sweet, orangey mandarin, along with its lovely, soft, floral hints, commingles with an everlasting flower, which proffers its syrupy, herbaceous, hay-like sweetness. And, magical aldehydes lift the captivating blend, adding an effervescence to the citrus and luster to the floral, as well as a soft, vanillin undercurrent. A burnt-sugar phantom can be sensed. Transitioning to the heart, heliotrope shrouds the opening with its cherry-vanilla and faintly almond aroma and powdery aspect. A luxurious and sensual, Spanish-leather illusion, reminiscent of the spice, citrus and floral components used in its tanning process, serves as a light underpinning for the delicate heliotrope. Segueing to the warm base, a sweet, almost creamy and floury vanilla, an aroma somewhat akin to vanilla custard combining with a pastry delicacy, interplays with a balsamic and warm amber. The sumptuous leather is still in the background. And, an impressive drydown ensues. This select and demurely elegant composition is a cool-weather, unisex scent, with average projection and good longevity, 8-10 hours.

That's a pretty decent selection

That seems like a great selection to choose from. Why not pick something that you can not get as easily at home (wherever that is)?

Start with a nice, long lunch, then go on a duty-free shopping safari. I'd look for high-end Dior and Chanel. An Amouage or three would be nice.

Report back, and let us know what you found. Happy hunting!

I also suggest checking out the Amouages. Don't remember about Dubai, but at the Doha duty free I found a ridiculously cheap bottle of Tribute.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Try:

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain
    Not available at Dubai. I passed through Dubai a week ago and the only Guerlain Exclusives available are the newly launched Les Déserts d'Orient, which is worth buying if not available at your country.

Personally I don't find perfumes particularly cheap in Dubai Duty Free, apart from Amouage maybe, but even that is border line I think, wouldn't call it 'ridiculously cheap' though. Plus they only have the main and Library line, and only a few attars, definitely not the full line (of attars)..
    Last edited by wilz; 3rd July 2012 at 02:07 AM.

Definitely try the new Les Deserts d'Orient line.
    for swap/sale:

Sample, then have lunch while you allow a few favorites to settle on your skin, then go in for the kill

Great selection in Dubai duty free. Obviously, they have most of the Amouage line to test! They've also added Creeds within the last 12 months. Also spotted a couple of Montale exclusives on my last visit. I'm off there again soon. Enjoy!

Memoir man by Amouage.

Thats quite a catalog. Enjoy your trip and shopping. Btw, that Cadillac Black pictured in the catalog, I seen it at Tjmaxx for $20 in a giftset.