Code of Conduct

Default Tell me more about this Etat Libre D'Orange

What's crackin' peeps?

I'm not that familiar with ELDO, but from what I can tell, they really make an effort to create unique, quirky fragrances (that aren't that expensive). The fact that they had the balls to create Secretions Magnifique is something I really respect. If that's true, then they completely exemplify what I think niche perfumery should be and I'd love to get to know their stuff a bit better.

What are your favorite ELDO scents? Where should I start looking? Are there any other horrible misses I should be aware of?

I realize they sell a discovery set of 25 samples for about 70 bucks. I feel like that's a bit too expensive for a small amount of juice (if they're 0.7 ml samples, then that's only 17.5 mls total- I'd be paying more for the presentation). If you've bought it, did you think it was worth it?

Many, many thanks in advance.

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

Side note- I realized that there are a few threads on the topic already. In the interest of not boring anyone with a completely redundant thread, let's focus on the discovery set question. Thanks!

Default Re: Tell me more about this Etat Libre D'Orange

I like the line a lot. It is a little expensive, but then it's 25 scents, and the samples have the nice "logo", which, regrettably, is not printed also on the actual bottles. So I'd say that if you don't have access to a store selling them, it's worth it. If you have access to a place selling them (here in the US, pretty much only Henri Bendel in NYC and a couple of others), you can go and spray yourself there.

In terms of juice quantity, the prestige coffret, which contains 10ml bottles, is better. But regrettably it only has the first 16 scents, not the whole 25, so it excludes interesting things like Tom of Finland. (I bought the prestige coffret. But then I also go to NYC relatively often).

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I like the line a lot. It is a little expensive, but then it's 25 scents, and the samples have the nice "logo", which, regrettably, is not printed also on the actual bottles. So I'd say that if you don't have access to a store selling them, it's worth it. If you have access to a place selling them (here in the US, pretty much only Henri Bendel in NYC and a couple of others), you can go and spray yourself there.

cacio
    FYI, MiN carries the line as well. they are showing 26 scents.

I like Rien personally. Wish they would sell them in larger sizes.

Yet another place in NYC. If there were a place in downtown DC...
    You are right, the eldo webpage now lists 27 perfumes. the coffret description says 25 - I wonder if they've just forgotten to update. Worth asking anyway.

cacio

IMO the bottles are a fair bit overpriced. That aside... I really like Noël Au Balcon (that I'll wear daily, unique gourmand type fragrance), and a few others, some very interesting smells... A bit hyped, and most of them I find more as curiosity objects than something you'd wear (NOTE: I intimately love strange fragrances and actively seek them and only them... just click my wardrobe)......but yeah really interesting quite a few of them (have smelled most of the line).

One thing I've found, and relating to me saying they're overpriced, is that I don't think they use the best ingredients so to speak.... A lot of them have half-decent longevity, and in almost all of them I smell this "sand" note underlying them (have got no better word for it).
    Like for example Secretions M. only smells rank for 30 minutes (well it gets dull, but anyho' it doesn't smell "bad" from a distance only close up sniffing oneself)

70 bucks....well I'd probably rather go for larger what is it 3 or 5ml FirstInFragrance sells and buy maybe 10 for then 45 or so Euros (just as an example), since basically one need time to grasp what they're all about.
    Last edited by Heawns; 7th November 2012 at 09:56 PM.

I don't think the bottles are overpriced at all.
    My two favourites in the line are Rien (a bitter animalic leather/incense that turns to a soft leather/powder), and Putain Des Palaces (a piquant powdery floral of violet, rose, over musk and leather). Secretions Magnifique is unwearable, but definitely a must sniff. There are many great fragrances in this line, hope you get to explore them all.

I'm a big fan of this line, although of course there are some I don't like. I agree with Heawns about Noel au Balcon: it's really a fantastic spicy, gingerbready gourmand, and one of the most overlooked scents in the ELDO lineup. Bijou Romantique is another favorite: its got prominent chocolate and vanilla notes, but it doesn't come off as foody. Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes is a wonderful summery scent. Tom of Finland, which I wore today, is a wonderful suede scent, though the top is a bit rubbery. Once you get past the top, it's very beautiful. (I got a compliment on it at Starbucks today.) And you have to try Jasmin et Cigarette, which I think of as the flagship scent in their lineup (even though Secretions is more famous, or infamous rather.)

Malaise of the 1970s might be one of the greatest names in perfumery, but unfortunately the juice itself isn't that great. It's a Z Zegna style fresh scent.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

I'm a sucker for this line. My personal standouts being Rien, Tom Of Finland, Eloge Du Traitre, Je Suis Un Homme, Fat Electrician and Like This. I've also grown fond of both Charogne and Vierges and Toreros which I initially sort of dismissed. My suggestion is to explore the whole line exstensively because their range is really made out of diversity.

Don't dismiss some of their most overlooked fragrances such as Noel Au Balcon and Rossy De Palma.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Yes Alfarom, thanks to you i enjoyed a lot Rien and Je Suis Un Homme.

A house I wish I tried years ago.

I really wish it was available here in the UAE so I could try it out.

I like
    Fat Electrician - somewhat in the genre of Tonka Vetiver but softer - nuttier. Projects very well.

This describes how I felt about Jasmin et Cigarette:

Jasmin et Cigarette was love at first smell and an instant buy, right then and there. Didn't even go back to the mall to buy it the next morning. Soft jasmine thrashed around by the smell of an ashtray. How can you not want to smell like that?

Je Suis un Homme- a misnomer because I can easily imagine my wife wearing this. A lemony and leather scent with a dash of resins.

Rien - very challenging.

for swap/sale:

I'm also a huge fan and think they're really reasonably priced considering that the scents are quite original and interesting. I have Putain des Palaces, Tom of Finland, and Fils de Dieu, and have been thinking about Vierges et Toreros and Je Suis Un Homme.