Code of Conduct

Default CdG 2 Man...wow!

I went into the department store on a mission today to sample this. I can honestly say I don;t think I've smelled anything like it before. I absolutely loved the opening 10 minutes of aldehydes and incense. However, after 10 minutes it was just incense and leather. After 3 hours now it's much softer and I really like it again. I have two questions

1) what is better CdG 2 or CdG 2 Man?

2) Is there another smoky woody scent which retains a strong incense note throughout but also keeps a citrusy zing?

Default Re: CdG 2 Man...wow!

Both good. 2 MAN is a Masterpiece.

Well, I think they're both great. I was in the same place and chose 2 Man, and to be completely honest, at this point I think it's just alright. I'm always a little baffled that it's called "Avant-guard" and the such, it's never been THAT great to me. Probably because I'm not an incense person. They're also both extremely wearable as well. So do you want something that puts a unique spin on rather typical fruityness (with that ink), or do you want something that's smokey incense with a bit of citrus and a bit of fresh dirt? Can't go wrong with either.

Also- consider layering CDG2Man under La Nuit de L'homme. I think it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by freebase221 View Post
    Well, I think they're both great. I was in the same place and chose 2 Man, and to be completely honest, at this point I think it's just alright. I'm always a little baffled that it's called "Avant-guard" and the such, it's never been THAT great to me. Probably because I'm not an incense person. They're also both extremely wearable as well. So do you want something that puts a unique spin on rather typical fruityness (with that ink), or do you want something that's smokey incense with a bit of citrus and a bit of fresh dirt? Can't go wrong with either.

Also- consider layering CDG2Man under La Nuit de L'homme. I think it's great.
    Yip, the latter. A woody incense that retains a fruity citrusy note. I am still sniffing my wrist and enjoying the soft smokiness of CdG 2 Man, but the initial aldehyde note is long gone. Wonder if there's a scent that keeps both aspects going. Is CdG 2 that scent?

I didn`t care much for CdG 2. CdG 2 Man could have been great if it lasted more than an hour..

I've tried CdG 2 Man a number of times, and heck, even own a bottle, but honestly I'm still dumbfounded by it. Or rather, dumbfounded by the opinion of it on these boards. Mostly, I don't understand why so many declare in "imminently wearable" and "easy to like," even "mainstream," when to me it's decidedly angular, aggressive, and avant-garde. It's shamelessly synthetic, and smells like a chemical fire. I realize it turns on the use of odd-numbered aldehydes, which have their characteristic bitter white smoke quality, but for me this still smells like chemicals. Burning chemicals. I realize the frankincense is underneath this, even linked to this, but it's hard to enjoy that for all the synthetic smoke. The effect isn't warm and welcoming, but austere, angular, arch, and a little scary. Even a bit "evil."

Surely others have this reaction to the scent? (By the way, the only similarity I find between CdG 2 Man and Gucci pour Homme is the frankincense note, which is rendered quite similarly.)

CdG 2, on the other hand, is completely different. Very smooth, understated, sheer, and, for me at least, quite wearable.

CDG 2 is a transparent woody rose, so it's quite different. Hard to think about an incense like CDG2 which remains as clean and citrusy. While frankincense can be somewhat lemony, it tends to be heavier (eg Heeley Cardinal, Amouage Jubiliation XXV).

cacio

Love 2 Man. Quite like 2.
    2 Man is the closest thing I've had to a signature scent.

Love CdG Man 2..............Try and find some Le Labo Vetiver 46.

2 Man is nice, but unfortunately it has very poor sillage on my skin.

Yes Le Labo 46 is very much like CDG 2 Man, you could try to find a sample and see if it lasts longer.

It's true: Vetiver 46 starts off very similarly to CdG 2 Man (both are by Marc Buxton), though the CdG has a waxier quality. Then the Le Labo moves in a more natural direction with vanilla and woods, whereas the CdG dries into a quiet, still synthetic-seeming, leather and vaguely woodsy accord.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I didn`t care much for CdG 2. CdG 2 Man could have been great if it lasted more than an hour..
    +1
    I also think that CDG 2 has been tampered with and been made a little thinner than I remember

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I didn`t care much for CdG 2.
    Same here.

I dislike CDG2, and to be honest, I was not exactly in LOVE with CDG2MAN, HOWEVER, after several month of collection and testing and developing my nose, I came back to CDG2MAN and to my surprise, NOW, I find it to be a masterpiece as others have said too. It's just so good.

So do not be dismayed if CDG2MAN is not your cup of tea at first smell. Stash it away and try it again in a while it may just grow on you. CDG2 on the other hand is equally repellent to my nose today as it was long ago.

Thanks everyone. I've still got CdG 2 Man lingering on my wrist today so I find the longevity quite impressive. I find it a very unique scent, I just wish there was a slight tang or hint of zest to offset the heaviness. Love the incense though.

Re: CdG 2 Man - Great fragrance. Has good diffusive capacity and longevity. Crisper/clearer/drier than Gucci pour Homme (2003). Much better than the tedium of the Le Labo. Might as well try some Sycomore, Timbuktu, Memoir Man, Terre d'Hermes edt as well.

CdG 2 isn't my thing but it's excellent either way.
    Last edited by pluran; 8th November 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Even though I haven't come around to CdG 2 Man, I do agree it has that crisp/clear/dry vibe and the minimal transparency found in scents like Timbuktu, Terre d'Hermes, and CdG 2. I just can't get around the chemical fire feeling. It feels plasticy and artificial rather than warm. Like it says, "keep your distance," rather than, "come closer."

I'm surprised, though, that anyone would be put off by CdG 2. After the aldehydes in the opening calm down, it's pretty innocuous.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I've tried CdG 2 Man a number of times, and heck, even own a bottle, but honestly I'm still dumbfounded by it. Or rather, dumbfounded by the opinion of it on these boards. Mostly, I don't understand why so many declare in "imminently wearable" and "easy to like," even "mainstream," when to me it's decidedly angular, aggressive, and avant-garde. It's shamelessly synthetic, and smells like a chemical fire. I realize it turns on the use of odd-numbered aldehydes, which have their characteristic bitter white smoke quality, but for me this still smells like chemicals. Burning chemicals. I realize the frankincense is underneath this, even linked to this, but it's hard to enjoy that for all the synthetic smoke. The effect isn't warm and welcoming, but austere, angular, arch, and a little scary. Even a bit "evil."

Surely others have this reaction to the scent? (By the way, the only similarity I find between CdG 2 Man and Gucci pour Homme is the frankincense note, which is rendered quite similarly.)
    I totally agree with you...fortunately for me, the things you mention attracted me to the fragrance initially. This is an unusual comparison, but there's a note in the fragrance that reminds be a bit of the way your hands smell after you've fired a pistol. Something about spent casings, gunpowder, smoke...I'm not sure what it is.

2 MAN is excellent and one my all time favourite openings. As others have pointed out though, the longevity is a bit sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Both good. 2 MAN is a Masterpiece.
    what he says!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Still trawling Basenotes and Fragrantica looking for a woody warm incense fragrance with a citrus tang to be my autumn winter daytime scent. Beginning to feel like a search for the Holy Grail...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro78 View Post
    Still trawling Basenotes and Fragrantica looking for a woody warm incense fragrance with a citrus tang to be my autumn winter daytime scent. Beginning to feel like a search for the Holy Grail...
    Not exactly what you might look for (no citrus i think) but i suggest you to try Azzaro Visit (unless you already did). It's warm incensy woody(cedar most). It's quite nice, actually.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Also, L'Artisan Timbuktu is both fresh/crisp, woody, and incense-y, though not in the frankincense/liturgical way others can be. I may finally pick up my full bottle today.

I love 2. Nothing like it.

CDG 2 man was indeed reformulated. A year ago I found a bottle with 1 or 2 ml in it and compared it to the recent version.
    Reformulated and watered down.

Vetiver 46 is much better at this point. Lasts a good 10 hours too (with projection).

for swap/sale:

Hedonist, can you provide more description of the differences you noted between the older CdG 2 Man and the newer one? Was it just a matter of seeming "watered down," or were some notes different or reduced?

Hedonist, can you provide more description of the differences you noted between the older CdG 2 Man and the newer one? Was it just a matter of seeming "watered down," or were some notes different or reduced?
    Didn't go into a lot of detail but definitely watered down.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Oh wow, you totally killed this review! Loved it. I don't agree with you because 1. i'm a noob who doesn't even know what "odd-numbered aldehydes" are?! and 2. different nose. But I had a lot of fun reading this.
    It;s the kind of review i like to read more of. Keep it up.

To answer the thread, I was a little putt off by the synthetic smell at the beginning, very chemically and somewhat uninviting for me. But after the burn the sweet smell of incense comes forward, serene and welcoming, which kind of reminds me of the smell of the church after the sermon, minus the guilt.

It's a strong contender for my first buy!

I can;t testify for projection but it did smell on my wrist for a solid 8 hours!
    www.smellandtell.wordpress.com <-- my rookie perfume review blog.
    Last review: Histoires de Parfums - 1740
    Say hey!

I love the "snuffed candle" aspect of the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by stevolution View Post
    I love the "snuffed candle" aspect of the scent.
    I love it too, that's what I call the 'white smoke' opening. After that it settles into a vetiver dominant fragrance. CDG2 is similar but with the floral notes on top which I don't get in CDG2 Man.

I need to wear it more often but it's pretty good for that 'snuffed candle' strangeness alone.

CDG 2 Man...where to start. Wow is right. I was suggested to get this as a fall scent late last year by a fellow Basenoter. I passed and bought Frank 2 Los Angeles (another suggestion) instead at LuckyScent and picked up a test vial of CDG 2 Man at the same time. I remember thinking that it was pretty good and threw it in the back of my head for a later date. Well...I ended up getting a larger .3 oz bottle on eBay last week and re-tested the other day. I found myself repeatedly sniffing my wrist, I was addicted. I ended up picking up a 90% full bottle on eBay yesterday as I soon realized that I had found my favorite fragrance. The only gripe I had with CDG 2 Man was it's longevity and light projection (I was using a splash that could have something to do with it.) Are there any other similar scents that evoke a visit to the Middle East, or Northern Africa quite like this gem?

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    CDG 2 Man...where to start. Wow is right. I was suggested to get this as a fall scent late last year by a fellow Basenoter. I passed and bought Frank 2 Los Angeles (another suggestion) instead at LuckyScent and picked up a test vial of CDG 2 Man at the same time. I remember thinking that it was pretty good and threw it in the back of my head for a later date. Well...I ended up getting a larger .3 oz bottle on eBay last week and re-tested the other day. I found myself repeatedly sniffing my wrist, I was addicted. I ended up picking up a 90% full bottle on eBay yesterday as I soon realized that I had found my favorite fragrance. The only gripe I had with CDG 2 Man was it's longevity and light projection (I was using a splash that could have something to do with it.) Are there any other similar scents that evoke a visit to the Middle East, or Northern Africa quite like this gem?
    As others have already mentioned Le Labo Vetyer 46 is an option. You may want to sample the CDG Incense series, as well as Memoir man, Epic man and Jubilation XXV from Amouage.

CDG 2 MAN is an absolute masterpiece! I have only just got to know CDG 2, but so far it has impressed me. Comme des GarÁons are surely among the most creative and avantgarde in the fragrance industry, I love them!
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    CDG 2 MAN is an absolute masterpiece! I have only just got to know CDG 2, but so far it has impressed me. Comme des GarÁons are surely among the most creative and avantgarde in the fragrance industry, I love them!
    try vetiver 46

same perfumer as 2man but v46 is even nicer.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    try vetiver 46

same perfumer as 2man but v46 is even nicer.
    I have actually been thinking about sampling it, Buxton has made some excellent stuff!
    I will add it to my next sample purchase then, and have a "look" myself
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

I'll have to try V46 this weekend while I'm in Vegas. The only incense I've tried from CDG was Avignon. I was not a fan of the wet, sharp and cold incense that it provided. I much prefer the warm light incense of 2 Man. Are there any others in the line that have a warmer feel? From picking notes, I would think Ouarzazate would be the one to try, but not much on it here.

What I particularly enjoyed about CDG 2 Man was the light smoke, beautiful candle wax and frankincense. That mixture really evoked thoughts of a cold desert night near a campfire outside of a city in the Middle East. Does Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain have a similar smell? I have read there are some similarities.

The more I smell CdG2Man, the more I think to old Gucci pH !

I wish I could have tried Gucci pH! I've heard there are similarities between the two. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test and I'm not blind buying a $150+ frag!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrŤ Moreau View Post
    The more I smell CdG2Man, the more I think to old Gucci pH !

Basenotes Plus

Hello Pedro78 -

I wanted to comment on this thread. Personally, I have a great fondness for CdG 2 Man and believe it is one of Buxton's best creations. Incense can take so many "forms". Here, you have the woodiness of vetiver and mahogany (the smell is nearly that of a row of cold pews in a Catholic Church) - the aldehydes and light florals show more when applied from a bit of distance (note separation is better). Dabbing it on, which I sometimes do, is for the smokiness to be at the fore. Frankincense, while a mentioned "note" here is lifted and vibrant with the aldehydes - it is actually more of the smell of a candle being snuffed out. That is the 'waxy'/white smoke note created by the ingenious use of incense here...so atypical. Passed off as a Gucci Pour Homme I (2003) copy, it is so very far from it. The frankincense here is ethereal. The heaviness is actually the wood and leather (another key note). While the wisp of white smoke from the candle floats in the air, one can smell the wax if they look for it...as someone knelt and lit in candle in fond memory or prayer of a loved one.

There is something so uniquely distinct and spiritual about this scent...and that is how the light, airy notes linger around the solemn smell of a candle that has blown out and the smell of frankincense drifting through the long, hard pews from which those kneel before their Higher Power. Buxton created hope and inspiration and 'lifted' our spirits with some notes here while other notes remind us of where it transports us to - and we are humbled. Transcendent fragrance that creates beautiful imagery - even if that beauty is a tearful prayer or a melancholy and mournful mood.

Genius. Longevity is very fair on me as it develops on my skin (dabbing on lasts longer)...but the amount of time we have with this scent is not as important as what one gets out of it while they wear it. Personally, I love the movements and how it fades out (slowly) - as there is something very natural about that. I like to dab it on during wearings of other scents, including wonderful ambers, as it can add a tremendous amount of meaning to a wearing...

Cheers,

ericrico

Thanks everyone. I've still got CdG 2 Man lingering on my wrist today so I find the longevity quite impressive. I find it a very unique scent, I just wish there was a slight tang or hint of zest to offset the heaviness. Love the incense though.
    ďSome perfumes are as fragrant as an infantís flesh, sweet as an oboeís cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.Ē

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I don't get the Catholic church vibe that you do in 2 Man. I did get that from churchy vibe from V&R Antidote. I too dab on my skin vs spray...on my skin the incense is more subtle in 2 Man, hiding behind the wax and light smoke. It's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Hello Pedro78 - I wanted to comment on this thread. Personally, I have a great fondness for CdG 2 Man and believe it is one of Buxton's best creations. Incense can take so many "forms". Here, you have the woodiness of vetiver and mahogany (the smell is nearly that of a row of cold pews in a Catholic Church)

Basenotes Plus

Interesting rynegne -

I have a fondness for Viktor&Rolf's magical green elixir, Antidote - but with the rich scent pyramid, the notes that come forward to me are the brilliant mint, Sambac jasmine, lavender, cardamom and the green, slightly herbaceous patchouli on the plumes of 'fresh' incense. Wonderful depth - but, to me, a contemporary composition of brilliant synergy from Alienor Massenet and Pierre Wargnye. However, being Catholic and attending Mass - the aromas in CdG 2 Man bring me to my knees, with my head bowed in prayer. Antidote is a vibrant and lively creation.

Amazing how incense and our own personal memories in church come together. The wax and light smoke ('white smoke' I described) is truly beautiful in 2 Man. Both great creations.

Wearing L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Intense as my SOTD - truly great juice. It shows one how a brilliant, fresh woody aquatic (with vibrant florals) can be warmed and deepened with incense (no relation to a church for me at all). Jacques Cavallier - a wonderful nose! I picture an Asian garden with fresh Blue Lotus in bloom and the rich trees swaying in the wind. Incense is burning from the Buddhist temple behind the grove of Yuzu shrubs and papyrus that surround the pond - with light plumes wafting to one's nose...

I think we can all agree that 'our church is in our heart' - it is personal to all of us and incense is the one note that brings spirituality into scent and olfactory art.

Cheers,

ericrico

I don't get the Catholic church vibe that you do in 2 Man. I did get that from churchy vibe from V&R Antidote. I too dab on my skin vs spray...on my skin the incense is more subtle in 2 Man, hiding behind the wax and light smoke. It's beautiful.
    ďSome perfumes are as fragrant as an infantís flesh, sweet as an oboeís cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.Ē

I don't get a church vibe at all from 2 Man. Gucci Pour Homme 2003... now THAT'S a churchy scent. Or Avignon. But 2 Man? Not so much.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 5th April 2013 at 07:28 PM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Plus

Gucci Pour Homme definitely has a wonderful church-vibe as well, but different. Ironically, it is a scent I find myself wearing TO church, especially in the Fall/Winter/early Spring. However CdG 2 Man brings a wonderful church vibe to me...yet I would probably never wear it to church (as a stand-alone scent). I have worn Goutal's Ambre Fetiche with a few dabs of CdG 2 Man on the backs of my hands...it was wonderful.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I don't get a church vibe at all from 2 Man. Gucci Pour Homme 2003... now THAT'S a churchy scent. Or Avignon. But 2 Man? Not so much.

I'm probably going to sell my bottle of 2 Man. I enjoy the smell very much, but I barely get 6 hours from it. I tend to get great longevity from scents, including scents others get poor longevity from, so for me, getting only 6 hours is nowhere near enough.

I went into the department store on a mission today to sample this. I can honestly say I don;t think I've smelled anything like it before. I absolutely loved the opening 10 minutes of aldehydes and incense. However, after 10 minutes it was just incense and leather. After 3 hours now it's much softer and I really like it again. I have two questions

1) what is better CdG 2 or CdG 2 Man?

2) Is there another smoky woody scent which retains a strong incense note throughout but also keeps a citrusy zing?
    This one takes me back.

CDG 2 Man was the first one I bought on the strength of having a sniff around our local fragrance shop soon after I joined BN.

2 Man is definitely the more masuline of the two. 2 is unisex and easy to wear.

Basenotes Member

CdG 2 MAN is nasty incense on me. Too much castoreum there. Had to scrub it off my arm. Wonderwood though... that's another story. Wonderful scent indeed.

Surely others have this reaction to the scent?
    Same experience here.

it's decidedly angular, aggressive, and avant-garde. It's shamelessly synthetic, and smells like a chemical fire. I realize it turns on the use of odd-numbered aldehydes
    That's what I like about it. Rather than chemical smoke, it smells like burining leaves in the distance to me and conjures a rugged, masculine autumn image for me.

Thanks for the insight on the odd-numbered aldehydes. I'd always thiught it odd that it was so dissimilar to CdG 2, but the use of aldehydes -- albeit in different ways -- would be the connection in these very dissimilar smelling scents.

- - - Updated - - -

it's decidedly angular, aggressive, and avant-garde. It's shamelessly synthetic, and smells like a chemical fire. I realize it turns on the use of odd-numbered aldehydes
    That's what I like about it. Rather than chemical smoke, it smells like burining leaves in the distance to me and conjures a rugged, masculine autumn image for me.

Thanks for the insight on the odd-numbered aldehydes. I'd always thiught it odd that it was so dissimilar to CdG 2, but the use of aldehydes -- albeit in different ways -- would be the connection in these very dissimilar smelling scents.

Today, it's a bit colder out, 38 and snowing lightly...in April after it was nearly 70 yesterday. CDG 2 Man has taken a new life in the colder weather. I just noticed how the beautiful, rich leather note that lies below the snuffed candle. CDG 2 Man just keeps getting better for me. Easily my favorite fragrance in my young fragrance journey.

From giving it a full wear again last week (after a big break), I'm finally coming around to this one. I've been on a big vetiver kick, and wearing CdG 2 Man in that context had be focusing on its vetiver note and vetiver-like qualities, leading to my appreciating it more. I'd still never call this an "easy" fragrance, but now I'm glad I have it.

It is sad but true, this fragrance is just a weak copy of Gucci pour homme I (2003).
    The same happens with the Wonderwood comparing with Gucci Rush!

It would be good to Gucci back to the good old days ...

Personally, I think the two are totally different. At one point they smell faintly similar, but not identical by any means. I find Gucci PH much more linear and less complex. I enjoy the way CDG 2 Man evolves and "shape shifts" during the life of a wearing. Both are very good fragrances and both are quite different. I cannot speak to Gucci Rush or Wonderwood as I have not tried either as of yet. I am still waiting for my bottle of Wonderwood to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by mdclx View Post
    It is sad but true, this fragrance is just a weak copy of Gucci pour homme I (2003).

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mdclx View Post

Gucci Pour Homme I! What a wonderful fragrance. So disappointed that it was discontinued. One of the greats.

I'm currently decanting about 1/2 oz of testers that can be found on eBay for WAY WAY cheaper than purchasing a bottle for $100+.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Gucci Pour Homme I! What a wonderful fragrance. So disappointed that it was discontinued. One of the greats.

I only spend 30 € in the last bottle of GPH that I bought!

An it was last March, I simply dont' t buy fragances on eBay because they are very expensive...

I'm currently decanting about 1/2 oz of testers that can be found on eBay for WAY WAY cheaper than purchasing a bottle for $100+.