Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What scent got you into Fragrances?

I didn't know it then, but I sure feel good about it now: M7, at age 13. One small sample spray that dad found in his suitcase after a london trip. Blew me away. I began to notice smells.

Bvlgari Aqua

I was looking up reviews and found Basenotes' review section. Love ever since

...dbl post
    Last edited by nomdeplume; 8th November 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Bvlgari Aqua

I was looking up reviews and found Basenotes' review section. Love ever since

I was a slow burn....bought my first with Farenheit back when it first came out, then Polo, then a GF bought me Kouros...but it was hit or miss, the scents being pretty strong, eventually gave me a headache, even though I LOVED them. So I dropped it.

Then I worked in a recording studio in NY during the early to mid 90's and all the Hip-Hop/RB artist were wearing something that I thought smelled delicious, like $$, but also, took over the room, VERY sweet.

A few years ago, I went on a mission to find it, never did, but stopped at Giorgio for Men, Beverly hills, for about a year, then hit Cerruti 1881 Black, then went on a tear to find, 'higher' quality stuff.....found Creed....it was all over.

Subtle enough, unique enough..been trying other houses, but always come back, honestly never really leave .

ps. I still want to know what those dudes were wearing.

Aramis 900

Mine was the great Old Spice...!

I was reading an article in Maxim's magazine and got reading an article on top ten cologne for men and it listed Creed's Milleseme Imperial, so I went to ThreeKings. com and bought a 2.5ml of it and was blown away,thus I was hooked.

- - - Updated - - -

@L'Homme Blanc Individuel Excellent post!!

For me, it was less about a specific scent and more about learning. I wanted a bottle that I could take to Hawaii for our tenth anniversary. Something that every time I wore it after Hawaii, both my wife and I would flash back to the island. So I began researching...and I was fascinated at how much information was out there. I began taking notes, just gobbling up all the info I could...going to local stores to see if I could smell what I was "supposed" to smell. Seeing how different frags reacted on my skin. I'm STILL at that stage or trying to obtain as much knowledge as I can. It's awesome.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

It was a terrible one....the Polo Big Pony Collection.

It was an article in GQ, I believe, that said cologne was an indispensable part of a man's wardrobe, and suggested three colognes for different occasions. One of them was D&G The One, which I tried, and realized it smelled better than anything I had worn up to then (didn't know the longevity was atrocious!). Since then there's been no looking back.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Basenotes Member

Gucci Pour Homme II

Picked it up last year on a cruise and right away I was taken back by how nice it smelt compared to my other generic safe mainstream colognes. Found this site and fragrantica and the journey began.

YSL Kouros circa. 1982

During high school years I wore what all the other guys were wearing...Canoe, Sterling Silver, English Leather, etc. without really giving it much thought. During college years I studied music and was made aware that wearing "scents" could cause breathing problems for fellow musicians when we were performing in close proximity...remember those PC days (?)...so the use of frags dropped out of my personal wardrobe and grooming routine.

Then about a decade later at the end of a visit in Paris my host presented me with a parting gift of Dior Eau Sauvage and Guerlain Vetiver. This was in the '80s prior to IFRA prohibitions and reformulations, and those two classics were responsible for re-opening my eyes (nose!) to the beauty and art of wearing fragrances.

Ck one was my first fragrance that i totally loved and then Truth for men Ck after this one i became a fragrance fanatic)))

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I'm going to take a totally different approach to answering the question that started this thread. I'm going to share two memories that really stuck with me in terms of fragrances and what drew me to this as a hobby. They're complete opposites, and yet not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    great post, but it does sound more like an argument to only have one bottle!
    Indeed, it unintentionally does! And I struggle with that for precisely this reason. It's difficult to have a true signature scent if you're really into scents.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 8th November 2012 at 06:17 PM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Dad's Old spice Aftershave was an every-morning smell right from the early 60s, as well as Mum's perfumes of the times. I grew up seeing frags as part of the grooming/dressing ritual and therefore assimilated them as more of lifestyle items than a hobby. My first purchase must have been Paco Rabanne, althogh Brut may have featured earlier.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

The two big ones that I've never been without since the 80s: Fahrenheit and Kouros.

Had frags most of my life but the one that got me "started" would have to be Burberry for men....
    from there it was all over.

To L'Homme Blanc Individuel . . . thanks for a fine post . . . one of the best reads I've had on BN.

When people ask me how/why I got into this hobby, I always start with: "My Dad used Old Spice . . ." and I blather on from there.

I think you nailed it with: "It's the power of smell that pulled me into this as a hobby." Well put.

Cheers . . . Wally

Through the haze memories of...

Old spice

English Leather

Canoe

Royal Copenhagen

Brut

Something called "Pub"
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

It all started with my very first cologne....Drakkar Noir. Yep, I started off strong as a spritely 12 yr old. Loved the stuff & wore it to death as a young teen, transitioning to Eternity, Obsession and then hitting the Cool Waters & Hugo's of the world in college. Slowly went through a bottle of A&F Woods after college, then didn't think about cologne much until the last couple of years because I was so busy with...well...life. But, I never lost the love of fragrance and when I started getting the itch to try something new, I stumbled upon Basenotes and the rest is....

Fahrenheit

Absolutely terrific post, L'Homme Blanc Individuel.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    S
    Jazz[/B] by Yves Saint [/LIST]
    +1
    This was a great mystery to my nose.

I liked cologne before this, but it was just blindly picking whatever scraps my dad gave me. Then I found Joop! and everything changed.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

L'Homme Blanc Individuel, dude that was an amazing amazing amazing post!!

My interest in fragrances has went all the way back to my elementary school days. I can remember being sent home from 6th grade for wearing too much Preffered Stock splash because it was an annoying distraction to other kids and teachers lol. They even took my bottle and had to have my parents come pick it up. During that time I also wore stuff like Aspen, Avatar, Gravity, Adidas and other cheapies. My introduction into "real" fragrances was Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vintage version). I can remember a buddy of mine spraying himself down with it before a gig we were about to play and I was stopped in my tracks when I caught whiff of it. It had to of been the most amazing smell I have ever encountered at the time. I immediately asked him what it was he sprayed and of course bought a bottle next chance I got. D&G PH was essentially my signature scent for many years. I went through at least 4 125ml bottles over the years and will never be without a bottle. I guess you can say I've always been into "smelling good" but only got into the collecting part of it about a year or so ago. This site as well as fragrantica have fueled my addiction for such a wonderful world of smell. I just can't get enough!!
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Green Irish Tweed.
    +100. This scent definitely started my journey. I didn't realize cologne could smell that good.

Habit Rouge. I had simply never encountered anything like this before, or since for that matter. And then after coming to Basenotes, it was Serge Lutens who blew the doors off the hinges.

A combo Giving up smoking and Crabtree & Evelyn's Sienna aftershave balm.

I fell hard for Sel de Vetiver. That was my tipping point.

Though I owned fragrances such as Azzaro Chrome and Lauder Intuition before....the fragrance that "got me into" the fragrance game was non other than Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (2009).

Bois 1920 classic

In my 20s it was perry Ellis cologne which is now vintage
    After a few years off now in my 40s it was mugler cologne
    Which rekindled my obsession

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I fell hard for Sel de Vetiver. That was my tipping point.
    Brian that's an unusual bottle to tip you in? For me it's probably one of her greatest works!
    Bvgalri Black when trying to renew a bottle online, then came across something called BaseNotes lol!,,,,,

Cuiron by Helmut Lang
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

No one fragrance got me into fragrances - One day I had 3 or 4, then I woke up one day with like 70...

One day in 2010 I was watching Mad Men online on ctv.ca when I paid attention to one of the in-between-segments advertisements. It was for Acqua di Gio. I thought it looked interesting. I went to a Sephora a few months later (very sheepishly; at that point I thought it was a store for girls only!) and blind bought AdG. When I first sprayed it, I was in olfactory heaven. I never knew something could smell so good!

Fast forward to 2011. Bought my first "winter" scent (Burberry London) and my first "formal" scent (Prada Amber pH). By the start of 2012, I was heading to Holt Renfrew every weekend to sample everything in sight. Joined Basenotes in April and haven't looked back!

All from a lowly Acqua di Gio ad online.

The scent that first made me aware that fragrances existed at all was Monsieur de Givenchy, or which I found a miniature bottle among the roots of a pepper tree when I was a child. I still have this little bottle. However, the scent that first _interested_ me in fragrances - without which I would not have explored them further - was Jicky. Without Jicky, I would never have known the sublime heights to which perfumes could reach. Oddly enough, I've only smelled Jicky a single time, yet it remains my most vivid memory of encountering any perfume.

drakkar noir

Fahrenheit too!

A gift from my sister in the 90s; I loved it!