Code of Conduct

Default New designer release let down...

Here is my issue...tell me if I'm tripping. Lately it seems the designer releases are extremely disappointing. Most if not all are so generic and seem of much lesser quality. Not only do i find thenscents very blah but they are fleeting as well. This is very fruatrating. I've tried to like BdC and the Spicebombs of the world, and while they are just ok I have purchased much better designer frags in the past. I have TdH which is good...great. I have a vintage M7, older frags which I've matured past such as LeMale or Issey Miyake where ground breaking, had depth to them and where quality scents imo. They had great projection and longevity. My question is will I be forced to search out vintage discountinued scents such as M7 or Rive Gauche which are becoming more difficult to find.....or will I have to go Niche and be forced to spend 150+ just to get a quality scent that stands apart from mass market frags. Imo the later option sucks as this would cause my hobby to become extremely expensive. It just seems the selection of mederately priced designer masterpieces are few few and far between. Maybe this is a frustration rant but I'm sure I'm not the only frag hobbyist feeling this crunch. Am I missing some other true designer masterpieces or is this just the reality of things.

Oh and I find LaNuit good. Not great however it appeals to a large demographic....so imo that's a good thing.

Chime in and offer your feedback or advice..

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: New designer release let down...

Really nice designer fragrances are out there but are becoming increasingly difficult to find. Some of the exclusive lines of the major designers are among the better choices.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Really nice designer fragrances are out there but are becoming increasingly difficult to find. Some of the exclusive lines of the major designers are among the better choices.
    Please share...I'm not in the know

Chanel, Dior, & Hermes, & Cartier all have an exclusive line of fragrances which can be found on their respective websites.

Thanks

But for those prices couldn't I just buy niche. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying designer?

Quote Originally Posted by catlettsl View Post
    But for those prices couldn't I just buy niche. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying designer?
    Niche fragrances aren't automatically better than designer fragrances. There are some niche houses doing some wonderful things with perfume, but it seems that a number of others are more interested in creating 'art' than creating something wearable, something able to be appreciated by those that aren't afficionados.

hednic is absolutely right about the 'private' lines of the designer frags (prive, couturier, exclusifs etc), some of these are absolutely mindblowing and yet wearable at the same time.

Don't fall into the trap of assuming niche fragrances are all better than designer frags - I'd take Armani Prive's Vetiver Babylone over Tauer's Vetiver Dance any day of the week.

Why would it defeat the purpose of buying designer? You should be purchasing fragrances because you like the way they smell, regardless of wether they're niche or designer.

I love Vince Camuto and I own many niche.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

You could try some of the designer classics that are still around - Kouros, Fahrenheit, Gentleman, Polo, Azzaro to name a few.

Try Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum. 'Blah' and fleeting it ain't!

Sound Scents

A couple relatively recent excellent ones are Costume National Homme and Potion by DSquared2. It is indeed slim pickings recently though. I concur with the prior recommendation to look at vintage designer releases as there are quite many superb ones selling for relatively small sums.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP FrÚdÚric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri¨) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

That is the wrong reasoning to buy either side.

Recent designer releases have been Extremely and Intensely disappointing indeed...

But, I've been hearing the new reformulations of Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense are pretty good.

Lightbulb Re: New designer release let down...

Here is my issue...tell me if I'm tripping. Lately it seems the designer releases are extremely disappointing. Most if not all are so generic and seem of much lesser quality. Not only do i find thenscents very blah but they are fleeting as well. This is very fruatrating. I've tried to like BdC and the Spicebombs of the world, and while they are just ok I have purchased much better designer frags in the past. I have TdH which is good...great. I have a vintage M7, older frags which I've matured past such as LeMale or Issey Miyake where ground breaking, had depth to them and where quality scents imo. They had great projection and longevity. My question is will I be forced to search out vintage discountinued scents such as M7 or Rive Gauche which are becoming more difficult to find.....or will I have to go Niche and be forced to spend 150+ just to get a quality scent that stands apart from mass market frags. Imo the later option sucks as this would cause my hobby to become extremely expensive. It just seems the selection of mederately priced designer masterpieces are few few and far between. Maybe this is a frustration rant but I'm sure I'm not the only frag hobbyist feeling this crunch. Am I missing some other true designer masterpieces or is this just the reality of things.

Oh and I find LaNuit good. Not great however it appeals to a large demographic....so imo that's a good thing.

Chime in and offer your feedback or advice..

Thanks

You are not alone. I too, have been bitching about the lack of bitchin' fragrances out there.
    I think it will get even worse too. These houses are using LOWEST quality ingredients in their products. There is an english saying, " pay peanuts and you get monkeys ". The houses are paying peanuts and we are now getting monkey fragrances.
    It is good that your nose is detecting this and you are not being fooled. I am really astonished that so many basenotes members are not noticing this alarming, " avalanching " trend.

..............no, you are not tripping. Your brain is switched fully on.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

I have bought only 2 designer fragrances all year -- Prada Amber Intense and Potion. The rest I have tried haven't troubled my wallet at all. Designer masculines are getting worse and worse although I do have a soft spot for Spicebomb. Once you go 'off piste' and savour 'niche' it's hard to turn back. This doesn't equate to them being all fantastic though, but they are all more interesting. I have never experienced a masculine 'niche' fragrance that has smelt as awful as Zegna's latest offering.

Oh I agree that many niche house make "art" not frags that can be worn daily and appreciated by many. So niche doesn't ALWAYS mean better. What I mean by why pay 100-150+ for good designer when I can get great niche for the same price is this....the good designer can be had by many. Anyone can walk into Nords or Sephora and have some cute SA recommend the hottest design frag out. Take no research thought or effort. Not every guy is gonna find the small frag store off the beaten path to buy his fav niche house. Same money spend more exclusivity. And that's important to me and my frags. Also I feel the overall quality in the niches house I like have better quality ingredients and those have a more natural unique smell. Don't get me wrong I have some design frag I love. But the point of my thread was the newer releases seem to be bad (smell, generic, longevity) and demand high price tags. The design frags that I seem to love and many other here are being or have been discountinued and are not so easy to track down to buy or sample....ie m7, ysk rg, lidge etc. I'm sorry but imo BdC or spicebomb gucci guilty etc are not on par with the quality of design frag produced just 10-15yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I agree. This is a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    I agree. This is a winner.
    Is this an all seaon frag...if not when do you recommend?

I ran the gamut of designer back in the early 2000's - Gucci, YSL, Guerlain, Dior, Chanel. I have found that I do tend towards the niche - in fact, the only designer I still have is vintage M7. I suspect that the wheel will come full circle and I will appreciate fragrances for what they are, not by whom they have been produced.

In terms of 'affordable' niche - CdG I would class as affordable, definitely Parfums de Nicolai, Caron, and don't forget Lush.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Yes. This one is the exception !
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Is this an all seaon frag...if not when do you recommend?

This could be worn year round. Since it is a parfum I would be careful not to over apply in the summer. I've not had it for long but I suspect in high heat it could get cloying.

Fragrance companies have realized that the majority of people cannot tell the difference between an essential oil of a note and its disgusting synthetic counterpart.
    Instead of relying on limited unguaranteed resources like some farmer in Syria for rose or a farmer of clove on Pemba island , they'll relinquish their dependency by making their own whilst making it at a fraction o f the cost.

Ohh and pay off someone at the IRFRA to ban pretty much all essential oils and you've got a flourishing business going. haha.

for swap/sale:

Not all niche fragrances are all that expensive. I just ordered several samples from Sonoma Scent Studio, for example; for several of them, one ounce bottles of _extrait_ strength are less than seventy dollars. That strikes me as a pretty decent price.

you're not trippin, it is really happening and to make it worse people are actually buying this crap! I thought acqua di gio was bad but then I tried the Essenza... now I feel bad that I actually gave it a chance thinking maybe they did something new!
    I think 95% of the recent designer releases are useless but I also think they're selling like crazy so why would any of these companies releasing this nonsense actually come up with something new?