Code of Conduct

Default First Cologne for a Teenager

To my surprise, my 15 year old son came to be about cologne. Evidently, he has decided to start wearing some! Up to this point in life he has been satisfied with Old Spice Sport Body Spray. My scent wardrobe is certainly not something appealing to a 15 year old, and so I'm looking for suggestions for him. Basically, nothing too loud, but just a subtle, nice scent that can be worn year-round. Any suggestions, for something a little off the normal path are ok. I'm really not up to speed on any fragrances being worn by this age group today, so more commercial scent suggestions are also welcome.

Default Re: First Cologne for a Teenager

Givenchy Play

You didn't mention price range so I'm going to suggest something that will set him apart from all of his peers. Creeds Original Santal. It's worth it just for the bottle and the scent is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    You didn't mention price range so I'm going to suggest something that will set him apart from all of his peers. Creeds Original Santal. It's worth it just for the bottle and the scent is awesome.
    This might be a little more than I want to spend on a bottle, but certainly sampling it would be a possibility. The only problem I foresee is my liking it and then wanting a bottle for myself.

Rochas Man -- $20 for a 1.7 oz / 50 ml bottle at TJ Maxx/Marshalls/etc (it has a bright red-pinkish box, so you should be able to find it right away if they have it in stock)... I actually bought one for my gf's teenage brother, and he loves it and wears it to school, and he told me that he's gotten a lot of compliments.

If Creed's Original Santal sounds interesting but a bit too expensive, then sample Montblanc Individuel. It's almost a dead ringer for OS, it came out first, and many actually prefer it. Also, it was created by well know perfumer Pierre Bourdon. And it can be had for $25-40.

As far as other suggestions, if he wants to stand out & get compliments, a decant of Creed's Aventus would surely be a hit.
    Also, as far as other mainstream scents that would be appropriate and can be worn year round, ones that come to mind are Versace Pour Homme, Bvlgari Aqua (original), & Chanel Allure Homme Sport

+1 for Rochas Man, Givenchy Play, Chanel Allure Homme Sport. He could also try something like Diesel Fuel for life or True Religion for Men

CK One comes to mind...lol
    That's what I started with..

- Boss Bottled No.6
    - YSL L'Homme
    - Chanel Allure Homme Sport

Are all perfect starters for a teenager imo.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Eau Sauvage--start him out right!

Eau Sauvage--start him out right!

YSL L'homme
    Ed Hardy Love and Luck
    Rochas Man
    Givenchy Play Intense
    Versace Pour Homme

Welcome!

I am not very familiar with teen's tastes, but younger people tend to go either for aquatics (eg Light blue) or supergourmands (eg One Million etc.). I am not a fan of either.

Since you live in Alabama, I'd go for something fresh. +1 Eau Sauvage, a fresh, natural smelling citrus. However, it is not particularly persistent. Vetivers are more persistent, for instance, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (and of course, $$$$ Chanel Sycomore, but that's beyond the price point. But it might be something you want to consider for yourself. It is indeed one of my favorites in DC's summer heat). Fresh, but a touch sweet, there's Caron Troisieme homme, which is not expensive but is somewhat hard to find.

cacio

Abercrombie & Fitch, Fierce. This would be my pick for your question. It's young but not childish, can be worn year round and is a crowd pleaser. Also, it'll work with Alabama weather.

Also, a +1 for these, mentioned above:

YSL, L'homme. Another excellent pick.

Rochas Man. Talk about a good winter pick! It's cheap online and probably a good pick for younger tastes which lean toward the sweet stuff.

Versace Pour Homme. Many compare it to Allure Homme Sport, but I prefer this. AHS is more fruity and sweet. Vph is more floral - but not girlie (he says with a grin). It can be had cheaper on Amazon, and the bottle is GREAT. Also, very workable with your weather.

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    +1 for Rochas Man, Givenchy Play, Chanel Allure Homme Sport. He could also try something like Diesel Fuel for life or True Religion for Men
    +1! Excellent starter picks there. And an enthusiastic +1 for goody2141's picks (above) too.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Givenchy Play
    It is so nice to hear a young man interested in grooming!

I agree that Givenchy Play is a good start: young, contemporary and easy to find. Save niche scents and the costs for when he explores fragrance a little bit more.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by goody2141 View Post
    YSL L'homme
    Ed Hardy Love and Luck
    Rochas Man
    Givenchy Play Intense
    Versace Pour Homme
    Good ideas and readily available. He would probably like Nautica Voyage also and so would you at 20 bucks.
    Dont go out of your way getting him some hard to find exclusive frag please.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Thinking back on my previous comment, and echoing what Hepherd said...

You might consider coming up with a budget and tackling your list that way.
    -- Rochas Man. Cheap online and very highly regarded.
    -- Nautica Voyage. Cheap at discounters and online. Highly regarded.
    -- Curve. Can't go wrong! CHEAP. I swear by it.
    -- Hanae Mori, H.M. Cheap online. Quite good! Sample it in stores (Macy's, Sephora)
    -- Ed Hardy, Love & Luck. Cheaper online? Get this instead of Hanae Mori if you prefer it.

You can easily buy all four of those (choosing one of the last two) for under $100, getting some diversity in scents.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

My 16 year old has Abercrombie Fierce, Nautica Voyage and Acqua di Gio.

My 11 year old has Polo Blue and Armani Code, and he loves a shot or two of my GIT every now and then.

Aquatics and citrusy types are good entry points I think.

Send him to the mall and let him check out frags and let him find out what he likes by himself.

Banned

Get him:

Play by Givenchy - Citrus abounds in the opening, with bergamot, mandarin orange, bitter orange and grapefruit. This wonderful interplay of semi-sweet and semi-bitter flavors, with an undercurrent of woods, is refreshing. The wrestling of the citrus and wood tumbles to its middle. The spicy heart usurps the citrus opening with its pepper, amyris wood and coffee flower, forming a musky, spicy and woody radiance, arousing a sexy aura. The oft-seen patchouli and vetiver base blends with the heart nicely, mellowing the woods and spice, and leads to its alluring drydown. This is a well-balanced composition, and has very good longevity and projection.

&

+1 Boss Bottled
    +1 Rochas Man

Lacoste Essential
    CK one
    Chrome Legend
    Cuba Gold (for Parties)
    Fierce (never ending frag)

I second Armani Code. This seems to be a fave among the young folk and is readily available should he want bottles in the future.

Take him out to sample, and do not be shy to let him test some classics a la Dior Fahrenheit and Chanel goste!

I can wholeheartedly agree with the suggestions of

Boss Bottled

Rochas Man

Givenchy Play Intense

Chanel Allure Homme Sport

and Giorgio Armani AdG.

Almost forgot... Davidoff Cool Water! Classic, likable, complemented and affordable!
    - Mark

GOSTE! GOSTE! GOSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Thanks for the input. Sampling is definitely going to be done, but I just wanted to get some quality suggestions before wandering into the local mall. I'm putting together a list of many of the above suggestions so I can either order decants or track them down locally to test out.
    Last edited by alabamalawyer; 9th November 2012 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilz View Post
    CK One comes to mind...lol
    That's what I started with..
    High Five on this. CK One is also my first proper fragrance. If CK One is dated then try the summer offerings, the summer editions of CK One are quite nice and different year by year. The 2008 edition is the best of them IMO

Aside from that I suggest some fresh scents that easy to wear but do not fall under the aquatic/sport vibe

Prada Infusion D'homme - Smells like 7up, very youthful
    Mugler Cologne - Green with slight floral undertone
    Guerlain Homme L'eau - Mojito but fresher and cooler
    Escada Magnetism - Coke
    Lacoste Style in Play - Apple & pine that smells like apple juice & 7up
    Lolita Lempicka L`Eau au Masculin - Greener, more refreshing version of the "licorice candy" original
    Ck Truth - Peppery/green

The options for teenage boys are endless, I also suggest that you thake him to department store to sniff and decide what he likes as well as having a good bonding time with his father

Quote Originally Posted by Terryd'Hermes View Post
    I second Armani Code. This seems to be a fave among the young folk and is readily available should he want bottles in the future.
    That and Aqua di Gio.

How about Eau Sauvage?

Castle Forbes Neroli.
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    High Five on this. CK One is also my first proper fragrance. If CK One is dated then try the summer offerings, the summer editions of CK One are quite nice and different year by year. The 2008 edition is the best of them IMO

Aside from that I suggest some fresh scents that easy to wear but do not fall under the aquatic/sport vibe

Prada Infusion D'homme - Smells like 7up, very youthful
    Mugler Cologne - Green with slight floral undertone
    Guerlain Homme L'eau - Mojito but fresher and cooler
    Escada Magnetism - Coke
    Lacoste Style in Play - Apple & pine that smells like apple juice & 7up
    Lolita Lempicka L`Eau au Masculin - Greener, more refreshing version of the "licorice candy" original
    Ck Truth - Peppery/green

The options for teenage boys are endless, I also suggest that you thake him to department store to sniff and decide what he likes as well as having a good bonding time with his father
    I wouldn't recommend this. It's discontinued and the fakes on the eBay market are ridiculous right now. If you don't pay over $100 for a 3.4 oz then you're probably receiving a fake.

I suggest 360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

Perfect!
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsisa View Post
    Send him to the mall and let him check out frags and let him find out what he likes by himself.

Some of these post's are entirely impractical or subjective favorites. Keeping in mind this is for a teenager you're going to want something that is age appropriate. Many of these colognes would wear like a schoolboy in his fathers suit. So. For the winning trinity of : Female Favorite - Originality - and Price. Here's the surprising truth..

Paris Hilton For Men ($15 - 25) - Least expensive and teen girls go crazy for it. Granted the name may deter a teenage male, but don't let that deter you. It's because of the name that it is the under the radar scent for teenage boys. I'm sure a hearty "Trust me, give it a chance" and the incoming compliments will deter any brand bashfulness. And make Dad look like a genius for good measure. Regardless, he can always make something up, keep it a 'secret' until closer quarters, or just get points for his daring. Ultimately the best because he'll be the guy that smells great to every girl in school, and like no other boy. It's very age appropriate and harder to pull off after one's 20's so best buy for now.

Rochas Man ($20 - 30) - The best kept secret. A real compliment getter and will last him from teens till toothlessness. For the price of one you could accompany this with Hiltons juice and create yourself a fragrant man for all seasons.

Paco Rabanes 'One Million' ($50 - 70) - Big opening, great dry down. Getting very popular though as it's a 'lady killer', but great for the bars and a man in his teens to twenties. Price prohibitive for a teen, but not as a gift. Consider One Million the freshest most eligible successor to legends of the past...

Acqua Di Gio, Drakkar Noir, Obsession For Men, Davidoffs Cool Water, and Liz Claibornes Curve "The Classics" - Widely used, widely likeable, and some hardly noticeable. Hence the their well earned fame. Cool Water and Claiborne being most used by teens.

Ultimately, it's about what's in the bottle, not the brand. In that spirit avoid Abercrombie and Fitch or Halston. Then one day, when your boy become a man - he buys himself, a Creed.

;-)

Best,
    D.Caf
    Last edited by Manteuse; 15th November 2012 at 03:38 AM.

Ask him what he is interested in (Sweet, fresh, etc.).

Most kids that age have a fairly picky taste. Personally, I think he may like the following (I'm a few years older):

Boss Bottled
    PR 1 Million
    Armani Code (let him try this first)
    AdG, of course...or PE Red
    MJ - Legend
    YSL (L'Homme or maybe La Nuit)

Check my wardrobe, it's not updated but a good chunk of those are scents I would recommend to someone my age.

Quote Originally Posted by Manteuse View Post
    Then one day, when your boy become a man - you buy him a Creed.

;-)

Best,
    D.Caf
    He may have to buy his own bottle of Creed. :-) I only have one and a couple of nice-sized decants. But, it might be a nice graduation present in a couple of years, if he has an interest in fragrances by then.

At 15, he's probably going to be as interested in the bottle and brand image as the scent itself. That's why Fierce would be a great choice. Then Armani Code, Acqua di Gio, or even Gucci Pour Homme II. Good God, I can't believe Eau Sauvage popped up - not contemporary at all and will smell like his grandfather's cologne and 15 year old girls aren't going to be attracted to it.

It depends on how much he wants to stand out, and how much he wants to fit in. This is really important for a fifteen year old. I would also guess that the brand name will be of equal importance to the way it actually smells. Assuming that he wants to impress 15 year old girls, I would guess that any niche name would be a mistake, besides being a colossal waste of money.

While counseling him on the importance of frugality and cautioning him against being too flashy, I would walk him over to the Gucci counter and see if he likes anything. That could be his dressing up, important occasion fragrance. This could be a home run pick for his coolness rating, which is the only thing that really matters.

For more casual use, just ask him what brands the girls in his class like - Tommy, Abercrombie, Hollister, whatever - and get him a bottle of whatever he likes from that line.

That's my best possible effort on the subject.

Grandpa Wheatstraw

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    At 15, he's probably going to be as interested in the bottle and brand image as the scent itself. That's why Fierce would be a great choice. Then Armani Code, Acqua di Gio, or even Gucci Pour Homme II. Good God, I can't believe Eau Sauvage popped up - not contemporary at all and will smell like his grandfather's cologne and 15 year old girls aren't going to be attracted to it.

Really? I don't know about you or the other people on here but I had a few "grandfather's cologne" when I was a teenager - both literally and figuratively. I used to go in and spray my grandfather's Giorgio, Aramis, and Woto on me whenever I had the opportunity. And why not raise the bar high for a teenager by giving them a classic, but very clean, fragrance like Eau Sauvage?

I'm not sure if it's my official sample but Eau Sauvage smells like opening a really old photo album from the attic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    It depends on how much he wants to stand out, and how much he wants to fit in. This is really important for a fifteen year old. I would also guess that the brand name will be of equal importance to the way it actually smells. Assuming that he wants to impress 15 year old girls, I would guess that any niche name would be a mistake, besides being a colossal waste of money.

While counseling him on the importance of frugality and cautioning him against being too flashy, I would walk him over to the Gucci counter and see if he likes anything. That could be his dressing up, important occasion fragrance. This could be a home run pick for his coolness rating, which is the only thing that really matters.

For more casual use, just ask him what brands the girls in his class like - Tommy, Abercrombie, Hollister, whatever - and get him a bottle of whatever he likes from that line.

That's my best possible effort on the subject.

Grandpa Wheatstraw
    These are important points to consider. Still, if a young man or child is truly interested in scents, starting off frugal and then working up is the way to go.

I started out a a young age. I started out by using my parents' scents, which they were happy to share.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I think a guy of his age would like to wear YSL L'homme Libre or Chanel Bleu de Chanel. Or Paco Rabanne 1 Million.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Dior Homme Sport 2012
    Clean, modern, not overwhelming but present, and yet full of class and sophistication. Only the reformulation though!

+1 for Boss Bottled. That's what I was wearing at the age of 15 and up. Ysl L'Homme would also be great for a 15 yo guy for sure.