Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frankincense help please

There is a type of frankincense which behaves as a base note - it is rich, balsamic and quite woody in a coniferous way. It supports rose in quite an exquisite way. Can anyone shed any light on what this is - is it a different extraction to standard frank e.o? Is it a particular species?
    If anyone has a can help - do you also knoe a source in the UK?
    Thanks!
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Frankincense help please

I would like to know too. I have a frankincense resinoid from De Hekserij which acts as a base note but the odor isn't very rich, at least to my nose. Long lasting, but very subtle. It is 50% in DPG, so I don't know, maybe that depresses the odor a bit?

I believe there is also a frankincense / cedarwood co-extracted absolute which might be useful, White Lotus Aromatics sell it, not sure who else.

Post Thanks / Like

I think what you need is a CO2 extract. Hermitage provide a beautiful Frankincense Carteri CO2 which is so much richer and tenacious than the EO. It's just like smelling the tears.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    There is a type of frankincense which behaves as a base note - it is rich, balsamic and quite woody in a coniferous way. It supports rose in quite an exquisite way. Can anyone shed any light on what this is - is it a different extraction to standard frank e.o? Is it a particular species?
    If anyone has a can help - do you also knoe a source in the UK?
    Thanks!
    Just this week I received Frankincense - Oman from Eden Botanicals and to my very newbie nose it matches your description to a "T". I wore a tiny bit of a 10% dilution to bed and it was still singing this morning, so it should qualify as a basenote. I can imagine it supporting rose very well.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Oman frankincense at home and it is clearer, less camphorous with a slightly stronger cedar note than the other varieties I have. I'm not sure it's really all that woody though. I still think the major nuance of it is a turpentiney citrus. But I'm talking about the resin not the extracted oil of course.

I've just tested my tincture of Boswellia Frereana and that is very woody. It smells like a piece of antique fine furniture. As a resin it smelt really camphorous but as a tincture it's a rich balsamic wood, very strong and tenacious as well. I think I like it better than the Oman. Oman is more crystalline and pure but it's quite ethereal compared to the meatier rich body of the frereana. A swipe of this on my arm showed no signs of fade 2hrs later.
    Last edited by ClaraAus; 12th November 2012 at 07:59 AM.

Yes, I've had that experience too. Most frankincense smells resin-like to me and rather austere, but the Oman Hogari Frankincense from Qanaat Trading Singapore has a wonderful balsamic (but, strangely, not sweet) softness unlike any other frankincense I've ever smelt. It's a scent I would wear alone.

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

I've studied Frankincense quite extensively...

As for EO's, on another forum, I was laughed at for saying that Frank can be a topnote or a basenote...
    But it's primarily about the distillation times and techniques, that make it turn out differently. (With more limonene and light notes, than deeper notes...) You know, with a box of more than 25 frankincense items, Frank is all over the board... and it's about picking out the aspect you want to show around in your fragrance... and bless the world with...

The Resinoid, or Resinoid Abs are also good for the basenote time period of evaporation.

And raw Frank tears tinctures/dissolves <OK> into alcohol, which also serves as a good element... But you'll still want to strain it. And the Olibanum Couer 50 is also a very good product.

Pkiler.

You wouldn't happen to have a source for the Frankincense tears would you? Want to tincture, then distill it and see what I get.
    I like working with the raw materials, and the remains become incense fodder.

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had to buy the tears lately... I did so years ago from ebay, but I've had enough people coming home from Dubai, Oman, etc, that they bring it home for me...

Have to look into that.