Code of Conduct

Thread: Cacharel Loulou

Default Cacharel Loulou

I just purchased this today, blind (well sort of, I used it as a pre teen but didn't remember what it smelled like), and I'm really enjoying it. Loud, brash, and fun, and the drydown is delicious

Default Re: Cacharel Loulou

I've got it too. Do you get a sherbert vibe with the powder?

I don't, but then I'm not a connoisseur by any means, not very good at discerning notes unless its very obvious. I just get huge jasmine and vanilla at the end, yum

I bought it blind based on the reviews here. I totally get a sherbert note, the powder is sweet and slightly citrusy. Ive just started to appreciate powdery frags. If you enjoy the sweet powdery aspect of this I recommend vanderbilt.... The one Sophia Grosjman created back in the 80s.

Great fragrance. Maurice Roucel likes Loulou. Try it against and Insolence edp (Maurice Roucel) and think about how much influence Loulou had on the outcome.

From a guy's perspective: a rich and exuberant floral, as suitable for a younger as well as a more mature lady, an universal pleaser without anything common or harsh, even if it is very extroverted and attention-catching, it somehow always fails to overpower, offend or bore

I have to admit, I thought Loulou - along with Coty L'aimant, Exclamation, So....? Et al - were desperately out of fashion and I dismissed them in my mind, I thought I'd sample Loulou in the shop for nostalgias sake, and was blown away. I love jasmine. It helped my cause somewhat that it was given a 5* rating on the guide to perfumes. I might not have rediscovered it otherwise

Oh yes this is an oldie but goodie!
    I love to bury my nose in its powdery,
    box of delights. My best friend wears
    this one so well.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I like it too and I'm glad it still has its followers, but I'm surprised you find it "loud and brash." I always found LouLou to be very ladylike and graceful, but at the same time quite snuggly in all its powdery glory ...and to my nose, more closely-related to the serene and beautiful L'Heure Bleue than to the fun and flirty Insolence. Although, there certainly is a relationship between L'HB and Insolence, as well as their predecessor Après L'Ondée, and also Coty's L'Origan ...neither of which are party-girls.

Then again, CD's Poison also comes from this family of sweet and powdery florientals, so maybe a few of those genes aren't so ladylike afterall, lol!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Ooh I didn't mean loud and brash in a negative way, more of a confident, extrovert kind of way if that makes sense! I really like the "in your face" florals like violet and jasmine, so its no surprise I like this and Insolence (not the edt, though). Maybe I like these two because I'm a shy and introvert person, and they are so very extrovert?

It's okay - I know you weren't insulting it, lol! I just meant that to me, LouLou seems pretty shy - I never thought of her as an extrovert, although I love some extroverts very much, as I love Insolence (even the edt!) It's all just a matter of perception, and the many things that influence it.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I wore it on its release way back in the 80s, it was loud and proud back then. No idea what they have done to make shy and ladylike?????? A friend always told me I smelt like beer when first spraying Loulou I never got it myself. It was suppose to be the bad girl compared to Anais Anais, based on Louise Brooks as Lulu in the silent film. In the movie she leads men to their doom and then meets Jack The Ripper at the end.

Usually classed as a fruity oriental(my book says so)
    notes:
    cassis,violet,plum,bergamot,marigold,mace,aniseed
    ylang-ylang,jasmine,heliotrope,tiara
    tonka bean, cedar,vetiver,orris,musk
    DONNA

Well, you're right donna, it's not really shy ...I suppose I actually meant coy and coquettish as opposed to brazen or aggressive. I've just never found it brash or loud unless over-applied, and I'm referring to the original vintage-80s formula. Like I said, it's a matter of perception.

Congrats on Your purchase!!! While this is not for me I do remember selling this years ago.....I still come across this every once in a while!!! Great fragrance!!!
    Gary

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    somehow always fails to overpower, offend or bore
    If only I could say the same ; )
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Institution

Love this. I ran out of my mini a couple months ago and I've been missing it.

I wear it when I go dancing/clubbing and I can't tell you how many girls come up to me and ask me what I'm wearing. They always look at me sort of strange when I tell them I'm wearing a feminine fragrance. Nonetheless, it cuts through the cigarette smoke / smoke machine fog quite nicely and it doesn't smell anything like the scents that the kids are rocking these days (Angel, Black Orchid, Dior Homme, horrible Axe body sprays, etc.). It sort of makes me sneeze if I over apply it, not sure why.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

To my nose, one spray of LouLou is too much. A couple of dabs is what works for me. The sillage is very powerful, but with such a small amount, it becomes a sheer, warm and powdery veil of trouble making yumminess.

I rock da Lou Lou and I'm a guy. Muglers's Alien is very clearly inspired by Lou Lou. I must admit admit it does feel a little weird wearing something i know my mom wore.

The powerhouse!

I love LouLou. To me, it smells kinda like old make up. One of the sexiest fragrances ever.
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

I love Loulou, too. Haven't worn it in awhile (possibly due to the heat of summer), but I may have to wear some today!

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Loulou is so superb. And I know I'm probably totally alone in this, but I LOVE THE BOTTLE. Especially the angular one with the stem-like stopper. Deco made 80s. What's so bad about it really? It has a sense of humor and originality. Not another crystal paperweight. Even the taller snap-lid bottle is pleasing. Probably the color scheme and suggestions of plastic turn people off. I remember my every babysitter having Loulou on her vanity in the early 90s. I thought it was forbidden fruit.

Having finally gotten a bottle last month, I at last remembered having smelled it again and again back then. Such brashness and incense. Such personality! One of the most standalone stylish perfumes out there, IM-loud-O.

Blog Entries

^^^No I love the bottle too. Anyone have the parfum? Curious about that one! I just bought Anais Anais in parfum.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Ok you perfume name dropper you ........ Lou Lou was already on my "to smell" list but after your "family" description I will be sure not to miss it!

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I like it too and I'm glad it still has its followers, but I'm surprised you find it "loud and brash." I always found LouLou to be very ladylike and graceful, but at the same time quite snuggly in all its powdery glory ...and to my nose, more closely-related to the serene and beautiful L'Heure Bleue than to the fun and flirty Insolence. Although, there certainly is a relationship between L'HB and Insolence, as well as their predecessor Après L'Ondée, and also Coty's L'Origan ...neither of which are party-girls.

Then again, CD's Poison also comes from this family of sweet and powdery florientals, so maybe a few of those genes aren't so ladylike afterall, lol!
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

Banned

Lou Lou reminds me too of
    Diors Poison, at the opening, but musk note in it is so 80s, like the one in Montanas Parfum de peau....watery....but not so suffocating overall, i like it, so much 80s and yes i think great for clubbing too,

For femme fatale:-)