Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Default vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    Among a number of minis I purchased recently was a little Shalimar. It is most likely an older bottle and struck me as rather lovely when compared to the current EDT formulation, which I rejected last year and gave away.

    So here's my question - when looking for a good vintage Shalimar, what are the best formulations, best bottles to target? I notice there are many different versions of bottles, as well as EDT, Cologne, EDP and pure parfum.

    I found the mini was creamier and softer, than I remembered Shalimar to be. The vanilla was only one of a number of notes, rather than the ultra-dominant note it occupies in the current EDT. Obviously, like L'Heure Bleu which I recently discovered in vintage, there is a subtlety and artistry in the original formulations that is lost to the reformulation.

  2. #2

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    I am no expert on Shalimar. I have one EDC in the vintage "clock" bottle, and it does smell lighter and creamier (that is, less smoky) than the edt from a few years ago. Vanilla is still dominant, but it's a lighter vanilla.

    Turin Sanchez say in their book that the latest Shalimar they've smelled (ie in 2011 for the new book) was lighter than the one smelled in 2009 or so, but I have not smelled the most recent batches.

    cacio

  3. #3

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    the discontinued parfum de toilette and the vintage extrait are both gorgeous. I find the EDC a little musty, with less of a creamy base compared to the first two.

    I know there will be others who disagree, but I have no complaints about the pre-2010 EDP in the batwing bottle which can be had relatively cheaply online.
    Last edited by tiffingirl; 9th November 2012 at 08:50 AM.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    london
    Posts
    881

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    LiliB, i think i have made so far every possible mistake with Shalimar

    had new 90 mls bottle of EDP its terrible! sharp offensive, synthetic bergamot blast! i knew it from the very first day its far away from the old shalimar, its like looking at replica of some famous picture

    have EDT from 80s, mini 15ml bottle, i got from one croatian girl, and that was discovery for me!! i could not understand all the hype about the Shalimar..untill i tried that vintage little frag

    so best is to look for those strangely shaped 80s bottles in PDT concentration, but they dont show up so often, and i bought one bad fake there, the colour of the juice must be yellow to orange , and mine was like lemon ,

    then pure parfume is allways the best, i did not try but have read so many times and best is sealed bottle!! so even if you buy the newest pure parfum you will have the experience....and going with vintage sealed i think you cant make mistake....there are many on ebay! someone correct me pls if i am wrong here!

    and then vintage eau de cologne, they all say it is from 1960s but honestly i think thats not true , somehow too many of them i think they are maybe closer to 80s then 60s ...they are disc shaped bottle ......i just ordered one, you have it in the thread: talk to me about shalimar!! so take a look at pictures

    some of those disc bottles were bottled in USA /Mexico and who know where else....some in europe but i found most from USA!....

    if someone can maybe comment on this that they are bottled outside of FRance? this makes no difference right?
    at least did not hear anyone talking about it

    am also curious to know until when that disc shaped EDC was produced? 90s too?
    Last edited by iivanita; 9th November 2012 at 09:12 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    This link says the disk bottle was used into the 80s. But I'm no expert myself.

    http://reviews.ebay.com/Dating-Vinta...00000003805546
    cacio

  6. #6

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    I own Shalimar in several concentrations/years, and highly recommend the following:

    Vintage extrait, either the one in the glass umbrella bottle or the batwing with blue top that comes in the purple velvet box.

    EDT in the delft blue and white canister with the gold embossed top. According to Monsieur Guerlain's website, this was introduced in 1965 and in production until 1982. I don't know which year mine is, but it's FABULOUS. I think I like even better than the extrait.

    In spite of loving the round bottles with the triangular glass stoppers, I find the EDC a bit sharp as well.

    I have yet to get my hands on a vintage PdT, but I hear that is really a lovely concentration.

  7. #7
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,396
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    I've seen some of the disc shaped EDC bottles on eBay with different colored dots in the center. I have heard from others that the EDC is great. What's your opinion and what do the color of the dots on the labels have to do with the bottle?
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

  8. #8

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I've seen some of the disc shaped EDC bottles on eBay with different colored dots in the center. I have heard from others that the EDC is great. What's your opinion and what do the color of the dots on the labels have to do with the bottle?
    I would love to know the answer to this question. I recently came across one from the 60's or 70's in my old room at my mother's house. It smells wonderful.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

  9. #9

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I am no expert on Shalimar. I have one EDC in the vintage "clock" bottle, and it does smell lighter and creamier (that is, less smoky) than the edt from a few years ago. Vanilla is still dominant, but it's a lighter vanilla.
    Love love love this version (but it's the only one I have ample experience with). You can get it inexpensively, too.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    london
    Posts
    881

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    This link says the disk bottle was used into the 80s. But I'm no expert myself.

    http://reviews.ebay.com/Dating-Vinta...00000003805546
    cacio
    thank you very much!..i allways forget this page, and unfortunately dont know why i cant see those pictures, only x on the place of a picture.

    just to add..those EDC disk bottles come with various dots coloures yes , i am like you southern interested too , also triangular stopper is either glass or gold colour, dont know what that means either , i think this is connected to the place of production and maybe age
    when i get mine i will tell you how it smells hehe, i hope nice nice and nothing but nice

    red dots are from outside Europe , yellow from France ....could it be this way?....

  11. #11

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    After doing a quick search on Ebay as well as my two other favourite sources of vintage, I have not come across any PDT, nor do I recall seeing any for sale during my perfume education.

    The clock bottle with the triangular top is the most common, and I suspect the least inspiring of all of them. I have my eye on a little 1 oz bottle of parfum that is still sealed. However, it's pricey and will have to wait for a while. Hopefully it will have yet another birthday, as many of them do, so will be waiting for me when finances improve.

    I look forward to what you make of the EDC Ivanita. I think we have experienced the same sort of thing with Shalimar. So, you'll probably react a bit like me when you get your new bottle.

  12. #12

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    I am just a Shalimar slut. I seem to love them all: old to new, all concentrations. Yes, I prize my vintage extrait above everything else in my collection. But a vintage edc is my go-to almost always. I even wear the new stuff. My next big purchase may be more parfum/extrait and more edc. All of them so I will never run out of some of the old vintages. I am rambling. Shalimar does that to me.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

  13. #13
    Guerlainista
    rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,191

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    if someone can maybe comment on this that they are bottled outside of FRance? this makes no difference right?
    at least did not hear anyone talking about it

    am also curious to know until when that disc shaped EDC was produced? 90s too?
    livanita, I have bottles of Shalimar EdC that were blended in the US and in Mexico (from oils imported from France). Both are gorgeous. I don't think I've ever had the one made in France, but they should be identical. What difference should it make whether the alcohol is added in France, Mexico, or the US?

    There are disc EdCs that come in the gold ribbed box with the black panel at the top front. I have a couple of Mitsouko ones, but I think there were Shalimar and Vol de Nuit ones and perhaps others as well. Those were made starting in 1983, but I don't know how long they were made. The 90s is possible as far as I know.

    I think the difference in glass stoppers and screw caps is age. My guess is that the glass-stoppered ones were made until some point in the late 60s or 70s. I say this because the copyright date on the white/black zig zag bottles is 1967, which I think means they were made from that year until the design changed in 1983.

    I love the vintage EdC, by the way. It feels so explosive and energetic, so lively and carnal. The opening is one of the most exciting in perfumery. The vintage parfum is more gorgeous and meaty. The EdC is glorious for a while then fades away to just delicious.

    The PdT is a great middle ground. It has the weight and tenacity of the extrait (though less extreme, less animalic, and lacking the smoky nostril-singeing kerosene sting), with the radiance of the EdC. Perfect for regular use.

    It happens that to be that my wife makes a signature of it. One of the many things I have to be thankful for. However, I have to maintain a stock. It goes fast.



    Its about half a liter, I think. At this rate each one will last about a year. I have to keep distracting her with other tasty ones to slow down the burn rate. Shalimar Ode a la Vanille is a great one. I think it's the perfume being made today that most feels like a vintage Shalimar.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  14. #14

    Wink Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaLee View Post
    I am just a Shalimar slut. I seem to love them all: old to new, all concentrations. Yes, I prize my vintage extrait above everything else in my collection. But a vintage edc is my go-to almost always. I even wear the new stuff. My next big purchase may be more parfum/extrait and more edc. All of them so I will never run out of some of the old vintages. I am rambling. Shalimar does that to me.
    Okay, I think I need to hunt down another EDC The one I had may have been off, because it was pretty sharp. Not luminous or creamy as I've heard described here.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    london
    Posts
    881

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaLee View Post
    I am just a Shalimar slut. I seem to love them all: old to new, all concentrations. Yes, I prize my vintage extrait above everything else in my collection. But a vintage edc is my go-to almost always. I even wear the new stuff. My next big purchase may be more parfum/extrait and more edc. All of them so I will never run out of some of the old vintages. I am rambling. Shalimar does that to me.
    Haha it did this too me too!

    It all started so innocent:-) , and when i sold my new big bottle of Current EDP i was sure i will never ever try it again

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    livanita, I have bottles of Shalimar EdC that were blended in the US and in Mexico (from oils imported from France). Both are gorgeous. I don't think I've ever had the one made in France, but they should be identical. What difference should it make whether the alcohol is added in France, Mexico, or the US?

    There are disc EdCs that come in the gold ribbed box with the black panel at the top front. I have a couple of Mitsouko ones, but I think there were Shalimar and Vol de Nuit ones and perhaps others as well. Those were made starting in 1983, but I don't know how long they were made. The 90s is possible as far as I know.

    I think the difference in glass stoppers and screw caps is age. My guess is that the glass-stoppered ones were made until some point in the late 60s or 70s. I say this because the copyright date on the white/black zig zag bottles is 1967, which I think means they were made from that year until the design changed in 1983.

    I love the vintage EdC, by the way. It feels so explosive and energetic, so lively and carnal. The opening is one of the most exciting in perfumery. The vintage parfum is more gorgeous and meaty. The EdC is glorious for a while then fades away to just delicious.

    The PdT is a great middle ground. It has the weight and tenacity of the extrait (though less extreme, less animalic, and lacking the smoky nostril-singeing kerosene sting), with the radiance of the EdC. Perfect for regular use.

    It happens that to be that my wife makes a signature of it. One of the many things I have to be thankful for. However, I have to maintain a stock. It goes fast.



    Its about half a liter, I think. At this rate each one will last about a year. I have to keep distracting her with other tasty ones to slow down the burn rate. Shalimar Ode a la Vanille is a great one. I think it's the perfume being made today that most feels like a vintage Shalimar.

    Oh my goodnes:-) Ruuubeeegone:-)

    Nice picture!, what is she doing with it? Washing her legs?hehehe joking!!

    Did you buy then those 2 testers from ebay?

    The good thing about living in USA is that most of those stuff is only shipped to USA because of some export restrictions i believe

    My EDC is blended in Mexico too:-) well i have not tried any to know for sure, but i know for sure some products of the same brand are made of lower quality for lower income markets, this is why i asked!
    But suppose back then companies did not use the same techniques of maintaining profitability hehehe

    Seems like Europe did not hoard perfumes but used them:-)
    Last edited by iivanita; 10th November 2012 at 08:42 PM.

  16. #16
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,689

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    I can't really add anything that hasn't already been mentioned.

    The very 1st Shalimar that I smelled was the EdC in the gold and black foil boxes. I hated it and then about a week later feel head-over-heels in love with it. After that I explored EdC that was even older, in the black-and-white zigzag pattern, and it was even BETTER than the first one. Then I bought vintage Parfum from the 1960's - STUNNING (but I went through my tiny bottle of it VERY quickly)! Then I explored the Eau de Legere and L'Eau - beautiful, light, lemon-cupcake-y, addictive. Then I bought the Ode de la Vanille - like Rubegon, I think it is very 'vintge-like' but it has that grapefruit brightness at the top instead of that harsh bergamot and it just gives it a different feel that's modern, crisp and yet it has a nice depth and complexity to it. Then I bought 'new' Parfum - it's OKAY but I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. Then I bought some Shower Gel and Body Cream - FANtastic to layer with my fragrances.

    In a couple of weeks it's my birthday and so yesterday I bought myself a vintage bottle (sealed) of Parfum from the 1960's - perfectly stored, it's GORGEOUS! I went straight for the good stuff. I deserve it!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

    You begin to awaken"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  17. #17

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    An absolutely worthy and divine birthday treat, Mike!

  18. #18
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,689

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    An absolutely worthy and divine birthday treat, Mike!
    Thanks!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

    You begin to awaken"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  19. #19

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    I've decided to buy a 45ml batwing bottle of pure parfum, the one with the blue glass stopper. I don't know how old it is, but the colour is quite light. The label just says Shalimar, with Guerlain Paris in gold on the blue stopper. I gather the early ones had just Shalimar, whereas the later ones had Guerlain under the Shalimar label?

    Can anyone enlighten me as to what sort of age might be attached to this?

    I won't be getting this until after Christmas, so I will have to wait patiently.

    This is my last major purchase to round off the Guerlains I want to collect in pure parfum. I'm hoping that this will be in good condition, though I get the impression that the Guerlains tend to age well, except maybe for Mitsouko, which appears to have mixed reviews in vintage.

    As foolish as it seems, I am just delighted to have such a beautiful bottle in my collection. Its contents almost come second given the lovely presentation.

  20. #20
    Guerlainista
    rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,191

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post
    I've decided to buy a 45ml batwing bottle of pure parfum, the one with the blue glass stopper. I don't know how old it is, but the colour is quite light. The label just says Shalimar, with Guerlain Paris in gold on the blue stopper. I gather the early ones had just Shalimar, whereas the later ones had Guerlain under the Shalimar label?

    Can anyone enlighten me as to what sort of age might be attached to this?

    I won't be getting this until after Christmas, so I will have to wait patiently.

    This is my last major purchase to round off the Guerlains I want to collect in pure parfum. I'm hoping that this will be in good condition, though I get the impression that the Guerlains tend to age well, except maybe for Mitsouko, which appears to have mixed reviews in vintage.

    As foolish as it seems, I am just delighted to have such a beautiful bottle in my collection. Its contents almost come second given the lovely presentation.
    Do you have a pic or link? Parfum has never come in 45 ml bottles as far as I know. 7.5, 15, 30, 60, and some bigger ones. By batwing I guess you mean the fan shaped bottle. The batwing is a modern bottle used for the EdP and others that looks like this:



    Is it in the original box? Shalimar parfum ages well if it has been stored properly. If is been unboxed on someone's vanity for 50 years it will have gone bad.

    "Shalimar" only on the label means its older than early 80s or so.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    london
    Posts
    881

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    hello LiliB i wanted to write my impressions of EDC here

    i bought the one in a zigzag box, so the old one,blended in Mexico , it was huge surprise to me that i was able to smell it from the unopened box , that i thought something leaked! when i took the bottle it was emanating the smell around the stopper , everyone could smell! so before i even opened the bottle i was impressed

    so how does it smell?

    the opening has the same emotion this modern new EDP Shalimar is trying to recreate! it may have a feeling of beeing synthetic to someone becasue its very bright bergamot/citrusy opening, which i like very much and the overall feeling within next 10 minutes is that its more drier, woodier then lets say vintage EDT that i have...and then it goes straight to iris- patchouly !! that at some point i thought i was wearing Coromandel by Chanel!!!

    i was so so sooo surprised by that becasue nowhere before i could not get even a hint of that patchouli in Shalimars i tried!!! the new EDP to me gives the same feeling, of dry haylike/citrusy /synthetic bergamot that bites the nose! vintage EDC does not bite the nose: bergamot fades away rather quickly....leaving dry iris patchouly incense mix with a hint of civet note!, and woody feeling...which modern EDP tries to recreate by beeing so hay like to my nose and the concentration of the 2 versions is almost identical! so you know how it is


    thats why Shalimar EDC is perfectly wearable by men! ....its not that warm vanilla , musky rounded feeling....you get from pure perfume i suppose, and its longlasting!!!no question about that!

    something that smells out of the sealed bottle that it fills my room after all these years! can not have issues with longevity

    i am very happy with it! although its not so femminine like vintage EDT i have, and pure perfume i suppose (which i did not try yet, but get the picture from what i have read), its different! reminds me much more of those modern versions, just that here i smell real ingredients! the feeling is not synthetic as with modern ones!! and since its name is Cologne, this one must go more on this fresh side, then femminine sweet warm side ,i believe perfume leans to!

    so it filled my expectations! i like it....just for the fact i understand piece of history now much better, and understand why this new EDP smells like it does and finally discovered 3 notes so vividly: patchouly , iris and civet........and that i own great scent in the end in such a beautiful bottle!!!
    from vintage EDT most what i got was vanilla, musk and opoponax..among others!

    waiting for my perfume to arrive i pray god it comes safe and sound becasue then my search would be complete !! )

  22. #22
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,689

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    Sounds like you're really enjoying the vintage EdC ivanita - welcome to The Fan Club.

    I can't say enough good things about.

    I find the EdP MUCH MORE civet prominent, to me. The very first time I smelled the EdP (after almost a year or so of wearing the vintage EdC) I was shocked at how skanky it was. I was in Europe, in a airport Duty Free shop, and I almost blushed and turned red when I doused my arm with it. It really surprised me.

    I actually, just yesterday, won (on eBay) a small bottle of vintage Parfum de Toilette (which I have never smelled..only 'new' EdP). I just had to get it, rubegon had such wonderful things to say about it and his wife wearing it all of the time. I'm such a nut about Shalimar I have to explore as many of the releases/formulations/etc that I can get my hands on.

    And as far as my 1960's extrait that I just got in a week ago (my Birthday gift to myself) I haven't broken the seal yet. I think I'll wait til my actual birthday (Monday).
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

    You begin to awaken"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  23. #23
    Guerlainista
    rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,191

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    It's great to hear you got your EdC in safely, livanita. With some of the vintage bottles I've gotten, there has been some leakage. The screw caps can loosen sometimes, and the plastic plugs inside sometimes don't seal perfectly. I hope your parfum arrives safely as well.

    Mike - I'll be happy if I've helped you find a new Shalimar love! You've certainly pointed me in the right direction a few times. Let me know what you think of the PdT after you get it. I find it fits in well with the other vintage Shalimars, while having an excellent balance of radiance and tenacity. It still leaves a beautiful scent trail hours after application.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    london
    Posts
    881

    Default Re: vintage Shalimar - advice wanted

    Hey Mike ,

    yes i will be too interested to hear about your impressions with PdT becasue i can agree on how you described EdC so would be excellent reference, but i do believe what Rube says....it must be the best concentration!

    hey Rube....oh yes this waiting of vintage to arrive drives me nuts hehe, contemplaiting if it will arrive safely or not, where is it now, why it did not arrive yet, have i bought ok thing hehe....but i was lucky with EdC...it looked like the lace of the seal was almost there to be broken in transport it was moving and this very sharp top made 2 holes in the box ....it came all the way from another part of the world to me

    indeed i am really so happy to have it!! and especially for the reasons described!! .....that iris-patchouliiii

    EDT i think also has more civet then EdC can imagine how it is then in stronger concentration....EdC is 100% unisex.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •