Code of Conduct

Thread: Incense

Default Incense

What are the notes in a perfume that create the classic "incense" odor? Also, any recommendations for perfumes that are incense-y?

Default Re: Incense

I am not sure but notes such as frankincense and myrrh are the two most common.

Though I am not a fan of heavy incense based fragrances I feel that Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No 9 is manageable.

Wazamba PdE is quiet an achiever. Also to be realistic Amouage seems to be the house of incense (There's a green one and a pink one And a blue one and a yellow one And they're all made out of ticky-tacky And they all look just the same.)

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    This.

I've concluded that different people have different ideas about what the classic smell of "incense" is.

For classic Catholic Church incense, Avignon is the closest thing I've smelled.
    Chanel No 22 is floral with a peppery incense.
    Parfum Sacre is dark rose with incense
    Bal a Versailles has a stage that smells like nag champa.
    L'Eau Trois is myrrh and herbs
    La Myrrhe is, well, myrrh

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I've concluded that different people have different ideas about what the classic smell of "incense" is.

For classic Catholic Church incense, Avignon is the closest thing I've smelled.
    Chanel No 22 is floral with a peppery incense.
    Parfum Sacre is dark rose with incense
    Bal a Versailles has a stage that smells like nag champa.
    L'Eau Trois is myrrh and herbs
    La Myrrhe is, well, myrrh
    Hmm Jean Perez Bal a Versailles incense? Maybe I have a different version. Great post never the less Kagey.

I like Commes des Garcons 2 Man, but it's not for the faint of heart. The combination of frankincense with smoke, leather and vetiver is a bit intense at first.

Thanks for all the replies. I sometimes see incense listed as an individual note in certain perfumes and I have wondered exactly what that means. Isn't actual incense a combination of fragrances? Anyway, I like perfumes that have an incense aroma, but I don't want to be overwhelmed by resins and spices.

These are some of the notes used to create an incensey vibe:

Benzoin
    Borneol
    Canadian Balsam
    Choya Loban
    Copahu Balm
    Copal
    Elemi
    Gurjun balsam
    Incense
    Mastic or Lentisque
    Myrrh
    Olibanum (Frankincense)
    Opoponax
    Peru Balsam
    Styrax

A good introduction to incensey fragrances is the Comme Des Garcons Incense Series. They're 5 (Avignon, Kyoto, Zagorsk, Ouarzazate and Jaisalmer) and they cover the incense range from the liturgical types to the balmy and meditative types.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Nice job with the list, alfarom. This will be very helpful to me as I like to play around with blending EO's, absolutes, etc., partly for a hobby and partly out of economic necessity.

Many thanks!

Here's a good cheapie...Juicy Couture Dirty English

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Here's a good cheapie...Juicy Couture Dirty English
    There is a lot to like about good, cheap perfume! I've never smelled your recommendation; I'll have to check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post

Though I am not a fan of heavy incense based fragrances I feel that Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No 9 is manageable.
    I've noticed Bond No.9 listed on other perfume blogs. It seems to have a good reputation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MaxHeadroom View Post
    Wazamba PdE is quiet an achiever. Also to be realistic Amouage seems to be the house of incense (There's a green one and a pink one And a blue one and a yellow one And they're all made out of ticky-tacky And they all look just the same.)
    Is there really a perfume named Wazamba? That's almost as good as "Funeral Home" by Demeter.

Not long ago I went to a funeral at an Eastern Orthodox church. During the service, the priest swung an incense burner that emitted a thick, heavy fog of incense that clung to my suit for months. As soon as I smelled Apercu by Houbigant, it was an instant flashback to that scent. It's not a bad fragrance but a little goes a long way.

I'm not a fan of incense, but Zirh Icon has a nice clean incense and it's dirt cheap.

One that I enjoy is Messe de Minuit-Etro I believe its a good intro. Also, its relatively inexpensive. Also, the CDG series is a goodoption too.
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

While I remain ignorant about the Comme des garcons series, I feel no need to go any further than Armani prive Bois D'Ensens for a real incense hit.

I am really pleased at the number of responses in this thread. So glad I joined Basenotes for the wealth of experience represented here. I'll be ordering samples like crazy since I live in a small town and am too lazy to drive to nearest sizeable city with lots of retail opportunities. One thing that I find especially interesting is that the majority of the responses are from men. Actually, only one woman has responded. Apparently the incense aroma is not usual in women's perfumes? Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    I am really pleased at the number of responses in this thread. So glad I joined Basenotes for the wealth of experience represented here. I'll be ordering samples like crazy since I live in a small town and am too lazy to drive to nearest sizeable city with lots of retail opportunities. One thing that I find especially interesting is that the majority of the responses are from men. Actually, only one woman has responded. Apparently the incense aroma is not usual in women's perfumes? Hmmm...
    I hadn't noticed that! But you'll find around here that a lot of people don't really differentiate between men's and women's perfumes. I pretty much treat everything as unisex and go by whether I like it or not.

Others I forgot to mention:
    Coromandel by Chanel also has a distinct incense note. Otherwise, it's a silky cocoa patchouli.
    Andy Tauer's Incense Rose is a spicy peppery incense with ripe rose, and with a sweet musk/amber drydown
    Knize Sec is a very dry incense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I hadn't noticed that! But you'll find around here that a lot of people don't really differentiate between men's and women's perfumes. I pretty much treat everything as unisex and go by whether I like it or not.

Others I forgot to mention:
    Coromandel by Chanel also has a distinct incense note. Otherwise, it's a silky cocoa patchouli.
    Andy Tauer's Incense Rose is a spicy peppery incense with ripe rose, and with a sweet musk/amber drydown
    Knize Sec is a very dry incense.
    Yes, Kagey. I think you are exactly right. It's more important to please yourself than others when it comes to perfume. It seems like the niche and indie perfumers are producing scents that aren't meant for gender necessarily. I often prefer less girly fragrances myself.

Montale Full Incense

Incense Oud by Kilian. A little smoky and woody.

Have you explored the Miller et Bertaux line? I'm a big fan of A Quiet Morning, which folks have called incensey.

The Guerlain Incens Mythique from the Desert Oriental line is amazing.

for swap/sale:

"Incense" by Norma Kamali is the definitive incense-scent. "Messe de Minuit" and the Comme des Garcons-stuff smell really cheap and synthetic!
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Incense Extreme