Code of Conduct

Default Looking for an everyday oriental

I've been lurking on here for about 2 months, and have recently visited my local shops to start sampling scents. It's about time I find myself an everyday fragrance to get started.

I'm a 31 year old man, business casual at all times. I live in khakis. Work in an office environment in downtown Chicago. Married with 1 son. Oily skin.

Not too worried about projection. I commute via train and would rather not offend those next to me for an hour. Longevity is important. I do not have plans to reapply while at the office.

After hitting up the big 3 local department stores in Chicago, it seems I don't like what I thought I liked. I seem to lean towards orientals that are heavy on the wood. I love warm sandlewood/cedar heavy scents, even more so with vanilla. I despise patchouli and have yet to smell a vetiver I've liked.

I really like Jaipur, but I just don't see myself wearing it everyday. I love D&G The One for men, but the scent just up and disappeared after 3 hours. My favorite has been Hugo Boss Velvet Amber. But being exclusive to Nordstroms at a hefty $140 per 1.7oz is insane. Aventus was great, but the dry down on my skin was very heavy in patchouli, and that's not how I want to end my work day. Gucci by Gucci was just OK.
    Last edited by comets; 9th November 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Default Re: Looking for an everyday oriental

Welcome!

For a smooth, warm vanillic sandalwood with a touch of candied fruit, I recommend Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not the Platinum Egoiste). I don't think it is sold at Macys, but I think at Bloomingdale, perhaps Neimans or Saks, as well as presumably the Chanel boutique on north michigan. (If you go to the Chanel boutique, you could also smell Bois des Isles, the mother of Egoiste. But it's expensive).

At Neimans or Saks, you could also check Guerlain Jicky, a classic fougere, with vanilla and civet.

At a more expensive price point, cedar, vanilla, orientals, resins are the kingdom of Serge Lutens, which is sold at Barney's on Oak Street. Things like Chergui, Bois Vanille, Jeux de peau, and others are in the general requested neighborhood.

cacio

Thanks cacio. I don't mind spending money for designer frags, but $140 for 1.7oz seems a bit high for everyday wear. I'd pay that for a good special occasion fragrance though.

I work 2 blocks off of North Michigan. My wife is coming out shopping with me for lunch on Monday. I'll hit up these recommendations with her.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!

For a smooth, warm vanillic sandalwood with a touch of candied fruit, I recommend Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not the Platinum Egoiste). I don't think it is sold at Macys, but I think at Bloomingdale, perhaps Neimans or Saks, as well as presumably the Chanel boutique on north michigan. (If you go to the Chanel boutique, you could also smell Bois des Isles, the mother of Egoiste. But it's expensive).

At Neimans or Saks, you could also check Guerlain Jicky, a classic fougere, with vanilla and civet.

At a more expensive price point, cedar, vanilla, orientals, resins are the kingdom of Serge Lutens, which is sold at Barney's on Oak Street. Things like Chergui, Bois Vanille, Jeux de peau, and others are in the general requested neighborhood.

cacio
    + 1Excellent advice Cacio. Do Not take your wife with you to the Serge Lutens counter otherwise its going to be a very expensive day for you! Rofl

Habit Rouge & Tiffany for Men might be worth a look, too. Prada Amber Pour Homme also might work pretty well as an 'everyday oriental'.

Another for Habit Rouge

The new Armani Code Ultimate is a very nice woody oriental.

This is great info. Thanks everyone. The sales people always ignore everything I say and take me straight to the store exclusive or the $800 a bottle stuff.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Another vote for Habit Rouge or Opium PH as an everyday oriental that's not too spicy.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Maybe the lighter flankers of Opium pour Homme would also work.

After sampling all of the frags that you guys suggested, I've made my purchase. Completely out of left field, Heritage by Guerlain. A nice blend of classic masculine with woody vanilla. Sexy and classy.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Original Santal. It's not that expensive online, and while I don't personally like it (terrible longevity on my skin), others seem to like it.

Tried Santal. The wife scrunched her nose. She loved Original Vetiver though. But alas, vetiver is just not my thing.

I'm glad you found Heritage. I think it's an amazing scent. Welcome to the sniff-o-rama.

Armani Code.
    Code Ultimate smells like a toned down Code (although...I've been told it's supposed to be the other way around)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Yes, Opium por Homme, edt. The edp is quite strong and many younger ladies are turned off by it.

Creed Royal Oud. Fresh yet spicy, deep yet sparkling, modern yet classic, interesting and memorable without being loud and annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Yes, Opium por Homme, edt. The edp is quite strong and many younger ladies are turned off by it.
    another for Opium PH