Code of Conduct

Default What do you do with "tweener" scents?

*NOTE: This is not a thread asking if I should buy Body Kouros. I'm not asking for your opinion on whether or not you like this frag. I'm curious what you do if/when the following scenario happens to you.*

I have a sample of Body Kouros. I like it. My wife likes it. It's fairly cheap. However, I don't LOVE it. When I think of it sitting in my cabinet, I don't think, "Man, I can't wait to wear that tomorrow!!" When I wear it and catch a whiff of it during the day, I don't think, "Mmmmmm.....that's nice." However, I DO think, "That's nice," and I enjoy what I smell.

I'm a guy that won't add a frag to my Buy list unless I LOVE it. When I think of Body Kouros in my cabinet, I add it to the No list.......yet when I wear it, there will be moments during the day when I think, "Well...MAYBE this is something I can get into."

Money IS an issue for me. If BK was expensive, this would be an easy no. The fact that it's cheaper is one reason it stays in the Maybe list.....but then I think, "I can put that money towards another one that I really love."

Frustrating. What do you guys do with frags like this?
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Default Re: What do you do with "tweener" scents?

I wouldn't buy it. If it's something you'd only wear once in a while, maybe get a decant? But it sounds like there are others that you like even more that you're far more likely to wear, so I'd put the money towards them.

I never have that feeling to any of my fragrances. I like all my fragrances equally.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I never have that feeling to any of my fragrances. I like all my fragrances equally.

I'm the same way with the students in my class
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

If it isn't a must then I don't get it, regardless of the price. There really are too many good things out there to waste time/money on the mediocre.

I wouldn't buy (unless you like collecting). There are frags that make you wow, and there's so much perfume one can wear.

If you see it at half price at a Marshall's or the like, then perhaps it could be worth for the very occasional use or for circumstances in which you don't really need the perfect scent (eg for when you go buy groceries etc)

cacio

Buy a bigger sample. 5mls of a sample you only wear every so often is plenty, and won't set you back. I had a sample but my wife doesn't like the smell and it is a "tweener" for me, so I gave it to my little brother.

Pretty much what Nosebud said. I will usually buy a 5x sample set off of eBay (total of 6ml). I was about to purchase HM, but honestly, it's been 2 months and I've only gone through a few sprays of 1 sample.

5ml is MORE than enough (especially if it is a roll-on) to know if you want more or not. I have DOZENS of 3-5ml samples that I've not gone through, therefore, I do not buy a bottle. If I burn through it in a week or so, I know it's a winner.

As for YSL BK, it's a good scent, but I agree with you and feel much the same way. It's a rarely reached for scent. To me it has the smell of "hot electronic components"...weird eh'?

pass. Being cheap shouldn't sway your decision so much. Go with your nose and try not to reason it in to your collection.

Pass.

I try to limit myself to only buying scents I truly love. Whenever I buy one I like but don't love, it ends up being something I don't wear. Note the word 'try'
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I'd say pass as well. It's like Straight to Heaven for me. It's nice, but I can't justify getting it (though that is waaaay more expensive than BK). Or for that matter Pure Havane. It's a good scent and I like it, but I prefer Pure Malt and can't think of a time I'd wear it over PM or something else.

Thanks. That's pretty much where I was leaning. It's a nice scent for me...just not a fantastic one.

If I don't love it, it's not in my collection. Saves money and also saves me days when I wear something that's just okay. If I'm going to be wearing fragrance, I want to love it. It needs to put a smile on my face.

Simple: use some of them, since among them there are a few scents I truly like.

I felt the same way about it and bought it 'cause it was inexpensive. Now it just sits there like patience on a monument. Save the coin, buy something you really want.

If I want it, I'll buy it. If I get bored of it, I'll sell it. You only live once.

If you want BK, only you can know.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
    If I don't love it, it's not in my collection. Saves money and also saves me days when I wear something that's just okay. If I'm going to be wearing fragrance, I want to love it. It needs to put a smile on my face.
    Completely agree. I didn't start out this way, but now I do thorough testing before deciding on any purchase and I'm not ok with adding those "tweener" scents anymore. If I had loads of extra spending cash, maybe I would be, but money is tight and every purchase has to be "worth it" to me. In the end, I'd rather "stock up" on my the one's I absolutely love the most and know I'll wear more often, than some "tweener" frag I'll only pull out occasionally anyway.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Completely agree. I didn't start out this way, but now I do thorough testing before deciding on any purchase and I'm not ok with adding those "tweener" scents anymore. If I had loads of extra spending cash, maybe I would be, but money is tight and every purchase has to be "worth it" to me. In the end, I'd rather "stock up" on my the one's I absolutely love the most and know I'll wear more often, than some "tweener" frag I'll only pull out occasionally anyway.
    I totally agree.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

In the long run you save more money buying a few fragrances that you truly enjoy and using every last drop (doesn't have to be niche) than you do with a cabinet full of "Great deals/value" that you never use/don't particularly enjoy. Outside of the uberniche, if you only buy enough to actually use, fragrance isn't all that expensive over time if you aren't a collector.

i only buy fragrances i love. for others in the "like" category, i might get a small decant and wear it once in a while.