Code of Conduct

Default Which of these French perfumes do you like best?

I want to find my signature scent for every day-wear (I'm 20). I want a classic and/or exotic, sweet, dreamy, sophisticated scent. I'm going to sample Guerlain Shalimar EDP, Patou Joy EDP, Christian Dior Miss Dior EDT, and Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps vintage EDT. I can sample one more scent. Which one from those listed below should I choose?

Guerlain Jicky EDT
    Coty L'Origan EDT
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue EDP
    Guerlain Mitsouko EDP
    Chanel No. 5 EDP
    Caron Nuit de Noel EDT
    Lanvin Arpege vintage EDP
    Dana Tabu vintage EDT
    Worth Je Reviens vintage EDP
    Rochas Femme EDP
    Carven Ma Griffe EDP
    Christian Dior Diorissimo EDT
    Gres Cabochard vintage EDT
    Rochas Madame Rochas vintage EDT
    Hermes Caleche EDT
    Guy Laroche Fidji vintage EDT
    Paco Rabanne Calandre EDT
    Guerlain Chamade vintage EDT
    Chanel No. 19 EDT
    Christian Dior Diorella EDT
    Van Cleef & Arpels First EDT
    Yves Saint Laurent Opium EDT
    Cacharel Anais Anais EDT
    Cartier Must de Cartier EDP
    Brosseau Ombre Rose EDT
    Yves Saint Laurent Paris EDT
    Chanel Coco EDP
    Paloma Picasso EDT
    Christian Dior Poison EDP
    Rochas Byzance EDT
    Cacharel LouLou EDT
    Nina Ricci Nina vintage EDP
    Guerlain Samsara EDT
    Lancome Tresor EDT
    Christian Dior Dune
    Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey
    Thierry Mugler Angel

Default Re: Which of these French perfumes do you like best?

Wow! That's a list.

And welcome, klah!!

I would go for something light for everyday wear, as some scents might be too heavy for people to notice on a young woman.

Try Anais Anais, a light floral, slight powder and a touch of leather.

Another word of advice, which may go against what I just advised, is wear what you alone like. Forget your age, the company name, and the gender the scent is marketed to--and wear what you like!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks! I will definitely try it; maybe I'll sample anais instead of L'Air du Temps (I read the latter has a soap smell). I'm not sure though that anais will have the sophistication I'm looking for....also I don't care for powder smells.
    Last edited by klah9; 10th November 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try Caleche and Mitsouko: both sophistcated, but classic, and distinctive. Caleche on me tends to be softer, yet has a good solid personality. Mitsouko is more distinctive. But you already have my choice in your trials: Shalimar.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

I vote "je reviens" vintage. perfectly well bred. roaring with sex appeal....at the same time. perfect for your age. very effective on many levels. i highly recommend.
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Post Thanks / Like

Going the vintage route will have you obsessively watching ebay to secure precious backup bottles. For an everyday 'signature' scent, that might prove too stressful / expensive to be sustainable.
    For that reason, I'd pick No.5 EdP (no surprise, perhaps).
    If you could get Jicky in a concentration other than EdT (i.e. EdP or extrait), I'd cast a vote for it, too.

Post Thanks / Like

For the Femme, you need to sample the vintage pre 1989. It is a sugared plums and leather.

Jicky, sorry not what you describe, its herbal and woody with lots of civet. Not sweet at all.

One not on your list but worth a sniff, Serge Lutens Daim Blond. Its raspberry,apricot and suede.
    DONNA

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by klah9 View Post
    I want to find my signature scent for every day-wear (I'm 20). I want a classic and/or exotic, sweet, dreamy, sophisticated scent. I'm going to sample Guerlain Shalimar EDP, Patou Joy EDP, Christian Dior Miss Dior EDT, and Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps vintage EDT. I can sample one more scent. Which one from those listed below should I choose?

Guerlain Jicky EDT
    Coty L'Origan EDT
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue EDP
    Guerlain Mitsouko EDP
    Chanel No. 5 EDP
    Caron Nuit de Noel EDT
    Lanvin Arpege vintage EDP
    Dana Tabu vintage EDT
    Worth Je Reviens vintage EDP
    Rochas Femme EDP
    Carven Ma Griffe EDP
    Christian Dior Diorissimo EDT
    Gres Cabochard vintage EDT
    Rochas Madame Rochas vintage EDT
    Hermes Caleche EDT
    Guy Laroche Fidji vintage EDT
    Paco Rabanne Calandre EDT
    Guerlain Chamade vintage EDT
    Chanel No. 19 EDT
    Christian Dior Diorella EDT
    Van Cleef & Arpels First EDT
    Yves Saint Laurent Opium EDT
    Cacharel Anais Anais EDT
    Cartier Must de Cartier EDP
    Brosseau Ombre Rose EDT
    Yves Saint Laurent Paris EDT
    Chanel Coco EDP
    Paloma Picasso EDT
    Christian Dior Poison EDP
    Rochas Byzance EDT
    Cacharel LouLou EDT
    Nina Ricci Nina vintage EDP
    Guerlain Samsara EDT
    Lancome Tresor EDT
    Christian Dior Dune
    Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey
    Thierry Mugler Angel
    I recommend you forget all of those and try Vol de Nuit EdT, if you haven't already.

The current formulation is just fine. It is all you ask for: classic, exotic, sweet, dreamy, sophisticated. It nails every one. If its a bit too heavy and sweet, you may want to try Dioressence. It has a similar structure, opening like a fruity oriental chyre, and then settling into a sweet cozy confection. It has a more weightless feel (not really lighter, just not as thick). It's the most Guerlain-like Dior I've smelled.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You want us to choose just one?!?

Ok, "exotic, sweet & dreamy" describes Samsara perfectly. But go for the EDP, not the EDT.
    My second choice would be L'Heure Bleue.

Welcome to basenotes!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

There are A LOT of my favorites in that list but if I'd have to choose just one it would definitely be Jicky in EDP strength.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

I would also recommend Donna's suggestion of Daim Blond, although
    I don't get any raspberry in it. Iris, apricot, suede yes.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    You want us to choose just one?!?

Ok, "exotic, sweet & dreamy" describes Samsara perfectly. But go for the EDP, not the EDT.
    My second choice would be L'Heure Bleue.

Welcome to basenotes!
    +1 for these choices. Tabu is a nice pocketbook friendly choice, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I am quite puzzled here: very difficult for me to put "sweet and dreamy" together with "sophisticated", two very different classes altogether. However, I like your list, please add another 9 fragrances (start with Chanel No.22 and Bois des Iles) and you will get The Perfect 50 Every Perfumista Should Know.

hmm... classic exotic, sweet and dreamy? ...what about Coco Mademoiselle or Miss Dior Le Parfum, Chanel no. 22, and try Angel, it will be a love or hate. No. 5 is a must try.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Wow! That's a list.

And welcome, klah!!

I would go for something light for everyday wear, as some scents might be too heavy for people to notice on a young woman.

Try Anais Anais, a light floral, slight powder and a touch of leather.

Another word of advice, which may go against what I just advised, is wear what you alone like. Forget your age, the company name, and the gender the scent is marketed to--and wear what you like!
    I agree with Primrose and would add start sampling different fragrances and sample as many as you can. It will help to know which types of fragrances you like. You can get samples for free from stores or by them from websites that specialize in samples like Surrender to chance.com, The perfumed Court.com, the Crystal Flacon (they sell samples and decants from all sorts of members of fragrance clubs including Basenotes).
    Now, if you asked me which fragrance was my favorite from your list, I would have to say Mitsouko edp for the moment, but I have not tried a lot of the others yet. Even though it's well loved around the board, it may not be for everyone.

WELCOME klah9 !!!!
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Welcome! That's quite a list and I applaud your willingness to try the classics that many people your age would dismiss as too "old-fashioned."

I'll put in a plug for one of my all-time faves, Paco Rabanne's Calandre—sophisticated, wearable, and slightly edgy. But, you may go broke stocking up on vintage bottles, as this beauty has sadly been discontinued.

If you're looking for sweet and sophisticated, I'd recommend something not on your list: Parfums De Nicolai Number One

Happy sniffing!

Post Thanks / Like

Agreeing very much with others about the ever-elegant Chanel No 22 which is lusciously sweet, dreamy, and very sophisticated...with an exotic incense note. I also second Hermes Caleche (in any concentration) which has a dreamy key-lime pie note and exotic woods, and Chanel Bois des Iles with sandalwood and gingerbread sweetness. Note: You must like aldehydes to enjoy these three fragrances.

For an equally elegant, less aldehydic alternative, I suggest Hermes Vanile Galante which is a truly novel and sophisticated take on vanilla, with an exotic and dreamy natural-raw vanilla and almost-banana sweetness (believe me, it"ll make you weak in the knees), which translates to a heady, absolutely joyous effervescence.

I also recommend:
    Bottega Veneta - Bottega Veneta (plummy suede)
    Guerlain Samsara (sweet and exotic sandalwood)

Have fun exploring! And by the way....if you don't find one fragrance to claim as a signature scent...no worries! There's nothing wrong with having a whole slew of gorgeous fragrances to wear
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, why limit yourself to one choice? so many worthy things in your list.

I'm going to say Rabanne Calandre, a serene rose-cream-spice combo, not too heavy, not too fresh, natural smelling, pleasant at all times. Vintage l'Heure Bleue (with its soft heliotropin and florals) would have been perfect, but I am not sure about the current version. You are right in specifying vintage or not, because some of those in your list are not as good in the current incarnation as the old version (eg Diorella, but also Diorissimo, and others).

Finally, I would drop Miss Dior. the recent Miss Dior wasn't anything particular. But Dior is in the process of scrapping it and substituting it with Miss Dior Cherie (that is, Miss Dior Cherie will be renamed Miss Dior). While Miss Dior Cherie is a nice modern fruity floral, it is just not the stuff of dreams.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

For a classic/exotic, try YSL Opium. I wore it when I was 20, so why not? Though I haven't tried the new formulation. Perhaps you can try both the vintage and new to see which you prefer. I'm also with Primrose. Where what you like. Forget about brand, gender, age, etc.
    Do happy

Thanks you guys for all of your suggestions! It looks like I'm going to have to try a lot more than 5 of these scents..plus others not on the list. I look forward to exploring! Thanks so much!

Right now I'm thinking either Guerlain L'Heure Bleue, Paco Rabanne Calandre, or Worth Je Reviens.
    ......leaning towards a stunning rose/floral I guess...but I plan to try all of the suggestions eventually

- - - Updated - - -

<@gandhajala> Good advice, vintage would be hard to keep up...I just feel attracted to classics is the thing, but I'll have to go with a non-vintage...It's a pity the vintage versions are usually better though (or so I've read).

- - - Updated - - -

<@Twolf> Thanks! I guess what I was picturing was something that would make you think of a beautiful model walking down a street in Paris on a gloomy day...-sophisticated because it's Paris and she's in trendy attire, dreamy because of the gloom and the beauty that make you think it's not real, and sweet because its such a lovely wonderful site...I know that image of perfume is probably way overrated; but that's just my style. That's what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by klah9; 10th November 2012 at 10:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're leaning towards rose/floral, try Sa Majeste La Rose by Serge Lutens and Voleur de Roses by L Artisan Parfumeur. The first is a luxurious interpretation of the rose... imaging a huge bouquet of roses, and the second is crushed roses on a wet pavement after a storm. Very gothic.

Thanks you guys for all of your suggestions! It looks like I'm going to have to try a lot more than 5 of these scents..plus others not on the list. I look forward to exploring! Thanks so much!

Right now I'm thinking either Guerlain L'Heure Bleue, Paco Rabanne Calandre, or Worth Je Reviens.
    ......leaning towards a stunning rose/floral I guess...but I plan to try all of the suggestions eventually

- - - Updated - - -

Good advice, vintage would be hard to keep up...I just feel attracted to classics is the thing, but I'll have to go with a non-vintage...It's a pity the vintage versions are usually better though (or so I've read).

- - - Updated - - -

Good advice, vintage would be hard to keep up...I just feel attracted to classics is the thing, but I'll have to go with a non-vintage...It's a pity the vintage versions are usually better though (or so I've read).

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I guess what I was picturing was something that would make you think of a beautiful model walking down a street in Paris on a gloomy day...-sophisticated because it's Paris and she's in trendy attire, dreamy because of the gloom and the beauty that make you think it's not real, and sweet because its such a lovely wonderful site...I know that image of perfume is probably way overrated; but that's just my style. That's what I'm looking for.
    Do happy

What you described sounds really like Tresor by Lancome. Maybe try that.

Ones I like from the list that I have sniffed: Dune, Must De Cartier, Coco...but your description sounds like Tresor a bit...which is worth a sniff. And ya, I would say maybe to try Coco Mademoiselle EDT.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

I'm disconcerted that the vast majority of your choices are what I think of as "acquired taste" fragrances - fragrances that are lovely but that don't immediately appeal to a nose that isn't already fond of old-style fragrances. I'm worried that if you aren't fond of that class of fragrances you might not like any of them, and that as a result you might abandon the whole effort.

That said, my favorite "acquired taste" fragrance is Chanel No. 19, in the parfum/extrait strength rather than the listed EDT. It's all but impossible to get more than a sample/decant in the US, but it is still made.

I want to find my signature scent for every day-wear (I'm 20). I want a classic and/or exotic, sweet, dreamy, sophisticated scent.
    Classic
    exotic
    sweet
    dreamy
    sophisticated

already trying
    Guerlain Shalimar EDP, = yes ticks all the above and is powdery woodsy
    Patou Joy EDP, = yes ticks all the above and is highly floral, but for a 20 year old?... only if you love power flowers
    Christian Dior Miss Dior EDT, = I wouldn't say this was sweet, but dry and green, nice, but not the middle three things
    Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps vintage EDT = quite spicy and goes dryish for a young girl

Hard to choose, but I would choose this five off the list for a 20 year old to try first before those.

Shalimar is fine, Tresor is nice and gentle for an everyday frag, Cacharel Lou Lou is full bodied, Anais Anais has a younger feeling than L'air du Temps, Dune is lovely, sweet, spicy, exotic and young.

Many of those on your list can be scrounged. Get some empty vials and blag samples from older friends and family first. They may well have many of these around. Don't fall too in love with discontinued for a daily frag unless you can see lots on ebay for a good price and can afford to stash.

Happy sniffing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanation. I think I know what you are looking for.

Anyway, please add the two Chanels to the list. Please also add Laura Biagiotti Roma, Acqua di Parma EdP, YSL Paris, Anne Pliska, Penhaligon's English Fern, one Creed of your choosing (Angelique Encense, perhaps?) and one Serge Lutens (Touberose or Orange Blossom?) and we are set with the Perfect 50.

Good luck.

Please sort of look what Lady M, Evangeline and PerfumedLady are wearing on a daily basis, they do wear some dreamy classics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

+1 for YSL Paris.

And a dreamy, rosy incense fragrance that l love is the original Ghost fragrance (not the flankers!); still easily available & affordable, & it doesn't get enough love around here IMO.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're after sophistication, it's hard to go wrong with a Chanel. Seems to be a house signature style. Sample them and find one that matches your personality.

Welcome to Basenotes!

Post Thanks / Like

Teardrop, I went through the bottle of Tanya Sarne Ghost some seven years ago and loved every moment of it: soft, cozy, dreamy. I have retried it recently and the fond feeling is still there. Thanks for mentioning it. It is getting harder and harder to come by on this side of the Pond though.

Because you say you want "sweet" and "dreamy" - from your list - I'd choose:
    L'Heure Bleu or Paris. If you don't like powder - I would think Ombre Rose would be too powdery - actually L'Air de Temps may be too.
    2nd choices from list, for you: Lou Lou and Angel.

I love Anais Anais, Caleche edt, and No 19 (only tried parfum) - but wouldn't really describe them as sweet - Anais is the most sweet of the three.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, first I think you need to ask yourself if you generally like classical scents or newer ones. Of course you may have both in your collection, but if you're specifically looking for a signature scent, you have to be careful including Angel and Mitsouko on the same list, as they are truly worlds apart. Any, I'll make picks from the moderns and a pick from the classics:

Classics:
    Jicky EDP
    Chamade

Modern:
    Chanel Coco (just smells fantastic, spicy yet sweet)
    Dior Dune (certainly fits the exotic and sweet criteria...totally unique)

ANd I agree with Mumsy above...Miss Dior does not really it with your description of what you're after.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you should try Jean Patou Joy, one of the best perfume classics out there. Very elegant and classy.

Off your list I'd say Guerlain L'Heure Bleue.

Post Thanks / Like

From your list I'd go for Ma Griffe and also second the votes for Calandre. But I'd also urge you not to limit yourself! You're young and you have plenty of time to devote yourself to one fragrance. Enjoy what's out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitsouko - incredibly beautiful
    however
    I think a young lady wearing Chamade would be head-turning. Perhaps not for every day wear, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I love me some dreamy classics! Make a hobby of it and try all those on your list, plus the suggestions you've received. It's quite an enjoyable trip to explore the classics!

Shalimar and No.5 probably get the most love from me but your entire list is great and I agree with each rec you've already had here. Will add:
    The Balmain line- Ivoire, Jolie Madame, Balmain de Balmain(all of them and quickly before reformulation ruins them)
    Chanel Cristalles- EDT, EDP and Eau Verte
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles (a bit challenging but so worth trying)
    Guerlain Chant d'Aromes, Nahema, Samsara and Sous le Vent
    Robert Piguet Calypso
    Coty- vintage Emeraude, very sweet and dreamy, I know Evangeline will agree. And so many others in vintage form but I'll throw those at you another time, if you do indeed turn out to be a classics lover.

Lots of modern scents have been released in recent years with a vintage, sweet and sophisticated Parisian feel, at least in niche:
    Tauer Tableau de Parfums Miriam
    Le Labo Aldehyde 44
    Montale Powder Flowers
    Parfums MDCI Enlevement au Serail
    L'Artisan Drole de Rose
    Many of the Histoires de Parfums, especially 1889 Moulin Rouge, 1876 Mata Hari, Blanc Violette and one I happen to be sampling now, Tubereuse 1 La Capricieuse.

These are not all sweet but all are certainly dreamy! And very classic French in feel, even my modern suggestions. I envy you for being able to examine these with your fresh nose! I wish I could learn the classics all over again, was one of the most enjoyable parts of my perfume journey. But now I get to re-trace my steps and sample those I missed! Hope you will have a great time sampling and maybe even find some true loves!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 13th November 2012 at 03:38 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!

L'Heure Bleue- Guerlain soft, powdery, dreamy, definitely "classic", sophisticated.
    Samsara- Guerlain exotic and mysterious (although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for every day wear; it can get a bit too much sometimes).
    Diorissimo- Dior beautiful, green, suitable for day wear
    Chanel 19- Chanel for daily wear, only the EDT or, even better, Chanel 19 Poudre. Green, classic fragrance with a touch of French sweetness.
    Dune- Dior for every day as a signature. This is my utmost favourite; intriguing, dreamy, never cloying or offensive (I am subjective here though :-)) ).
    Let us know what you decide- so exciting :-)

Post Thanks / Like

You have a wonderful list, and so many incredible suggestions in the posts too - I'd second the L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain, Chanel
    Coco, Dior Dune, YSL Opium, I'd wear anything at any age! Do let us know what you like, you'll have so much enjoyment getting acquainted with all of these perfumes. Or at least some of them!

Post Thanks / Like

I have literally not put my nose to ANY of those on your list. And my collection collection is currently 150+

I suppose my tastes lean far more toward the modern and contemporary scents. I do appreciate the feedback shared here though, as I am now inclined to search some of these out and smell them!

Post Thanks / Like

Look no further: Shalimar (Parfum). Chamade, Apres l'Ondee (dreamy...) and Femme, too. But Shalimar, yes, Shalimar..... On a 20 year old Shalimar in extrait form is formidable, chic and sexy. Seduissante.

Post Thanks / Like

If only because it's so different from the others you decided to sample, I strongly recommend Diorella. It might be the most beautiful chypre ever.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

treeman5823

By all means STAY AWAY FROM SAMSARA (the recent formulation, anyway). Vile, vile coconut shampoo.