Code of Conduct

Default Ralph Lauren Blue; Massively underrated / unknown? Or is it just me.

Hi! I'm new

Now I remember around 7 or 8 eight years ago I was given a bottle of Ralph Lauren Blue and it was a fantastic perfume. I loved it. It was a big bottle and when it finished I struggled to find it again, they seemed to have changed it. Now a few weeks ago I was in Boots (Cosmetics / Toiletries store in UK) and in locked glass cabinet at the back I could see what appeared to be the Blue bottle and low and behold it turned out to be that exact one!

Now I've never seen this in any shops recently nor have I ever come across anyone who owns this. Is this because I'm one of the few people who loves it or is it because it seems to be not very well known

Anyone have any thoughts on this perfume. I'd be interested to hear your more educated views!

http://www.boots.com/en/Ralph-Lauren...oilette%2075ml

Default Re: Ralph Lauren Blue; Massively underrated / unknown? Or is it just me.

It's actually called Polo Blue, and it's quite well known. I used to wear this one 7 or 8 years ago too. I haven't worn it since, though I'm not sure why.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Sound Scents

Default Re: Ralph Lauren Blue; Massively underrated / unknown? Or is it just me.

I own Polo Blue from a blind buy when it first came out to great fanfare. While I really wanted to like it, I confess it disappointed due to its highly generic nature. The original Polo still by far is the best from Ralph Lauren, IMO. The line has never been able to recapture its magic.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Don't own this but have tried it from friends who have it. Didn't care for it.

Have it and don't like it lol ..

I prefer Nautica Voyage.

Wore this when it came out and got through an entire bottle.

Granted, it was before I made an account here but it sure was a great fragrance for a college kid.

Blue gets more attention than it deserves as far as I'm concerned, as do all the Polo scents. Crest was the only Polo fragrance I ever really liked and they discontinued it. Go figure.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Polo Blue is ubiquitous

Basenotes Plus

A major disappointment imho.

Polo Blue is crazy popular, a lot of people liked it when I was in high school

Banned

I give Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren a very charitable, Neutral Rating. My impressions of it follow:

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren - One is initially treated to a fruity melange of melons, cucumber and tangerine; the sweetness thereof diluted by the watery freshness and somewhat medicinal flavor of the cucumber. This appealing opening meanders to the perky middle. Here, light piney sage, sweet, anise-like basil and bitter geranium stew with the freshness of the opening, imparting some pep to the lackadaisical fruitiness. The brewing spicy heart is beckoned by the signature base. A confluence of soft, leather suede, sweet amber wood, heady patchouli, velvety moss and sheer musk subsumes the spicy fruits, and carries the composition to its green drydown. This ho-hum composition has poor longevity - lasting 4-5 hours, and poor projection - 2 hours at most.

&

As mentioned, Polo Blue (and most Polos) aren't mentioned much here because in general they are not that good/there are multiple other fragrances that do what each Polo does but much better (often at the same or cheaper price points).

Tried it, wasn't impressed. I have owned many fragrances that are like it, but smell a lot nicer.

Its great for a knock about scent or a trip to the gym. I prefer it over Chanel Bleu. Its clean and simple. I don't own it anymore and not sure why. Of the "blue" type fragrances, its decent if not better than most.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I own Polo Black, Double Black and Polo Modern Reserve from the RL line.

Never owned Polo Blue, but sampled it on several occasions.
    To my nose, it was a 'blah' type of fragrance, not bad, but not great at all. I still think PMR is the best RL fragrance since the original masterpiece, 'Polo'.

I know the exact perfume, and scent, you're speaking of - not to be confused with Polo Blue - because that is entirely a different perfume. I also totally agree that it is underrated - or at least shrugged off as just another Ralph Lauren perfume. I remember the very first time I sprayed the bottle as a teenager - the opening scent was really quite strong and almost sour. The sour smell warmed on my skin into a warm yogurt-y-like scent while white flowers and oakmoss became stronger. It ended with a sophisticated powdery smell, not a cheap powdery smell like a (forgive the reference) baby prostitute, but more like a clean, feminine aquatic floral. Perhaps I could say peony, orange blossom and tuberose. . . but like you I am new to this myself.

I too have been searching for the perfume, but I have also learned/read online that the perfume has been changed due to recent restrictions on oakmoss. I simply adore this perfume, even for nothing more than the sake of nostalgia, but must also say that the subtle complexity in that little blue bottle is what turned me on to perfumes in the first place. Welcome to Basenotes! I am new myself, but have already learned quite a bit. I encourage you to post in forums, as the people on here are pretty rad.

Quote Originally Posted by desertclouds View Post
    I know the exact perfume, and scent, you're speaking of - not to be confused with Polo Blue - because that is entirely a different perfume. I also totally agree that it is underrated - or at least shrugged off as just another Ralph Lauren perfume. I remember the very first time I sprayed the bottle as a teenager - the opening scent was really quite strong and almost sour. The sour smell warmed on my skin into a warm yogurt-y-like scent while white flowers and oakmoss became stronger. It ended with a sophisticated powdery smell, not a cheap powdery smell like a (forgive the reference) baby prostitute, but more like a clean, feminine aquatic floral. Perhaps I could say peony, orange blossom and tuberose. . . but like you I am new to this myself.

I too have been searching for the perfume, but I have also learned/read online that the perfume has been changed due to recent restrictions on oakmoss. I simply adore this perfume, even for nothing more than the sake of nostalgia, but must also say that the subtle complexity in that little blue bottle is what turned me on to perfumes in the first place. Welcome to Basenotes! I am new myself, but have already learned quite a bit. I encourage you to post in forums, as the people on here are pretty rad.
    Really? Because the OP linked Polo Blue in his post.

What are some quality juices (preferably not niche) that smell similar to this? I'm a fan of the melon/cucumber accord and actually dig this smell...longevity is important for me though (sigh Millesime Imperial)

Quote Originally Posted by desertclouds View Post
    I know the exact perfume, and scent, you're speaking of - not to be confused with Polo Blue - because that is entirely a different perfume.
    [...]
    You're talking about this:

But yeah OP does link to Polo Blue.