Code of Conduct

Thread: Undershirt?

Default Undershirt?

I wear an undershirt under everything I wear...even t-shirts...to avoid pit stains. However, it seems like when a lot of guys wear a dress shirt without a tie (top two buttons undone), they do so without an undershirt. Is there a proper way to pull this off without staining up my expensive shirts or is it okay to keep the undershirt on in this situation?
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

V neck? Deep v?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Undershirt?

Yeah just wear a deep v neck undershirt, that's what I do, I get them from American Apparel. Can't see them at all, with open necked shirts.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Wow...the thought never crossed my mind. Excellent suggestion. Thanks!!
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

I wear scoop neck undershirts. That way the v doesn't show through t-shirts, and you can still wear dress shirts as OP mentioned.

I wear almost any type of undershirts regularly, mostly with low/deep cut, not just for avoiding sweat stains on dress shirts/t-shirts/polo shirts, but mainly for additional "thermal insulation", as my current country of residence, while formally still belonging to moderate climate zones, is frosty during winter and quite chilly during spring and autumn. I simply choose the undershirts with least protruding seams and fabrics, thus being hardly noticeable under my regular shirts, sweaters etc.

Undershirts are a must. Armpit stains and nipples showing is tasteless. A crew neck or v-neck as suits your shirts.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I have always worn a undershirt, I agree with Primrose they are a must. I don't suffer from sweat stains etc but I find it refreshing to change my undershirt throughout the day. On a normal day I will change my undershirt and shirt at least twice before changing into bed clothes.

You can get V neck undershirts that will be hidden even with your top two buttons undone. If you are going "undershirtless" then I would apply an extra strength antiperspirant.
    Last edited by L'enfer; 12th December 2012 at 10:28 PM.
    What I've Been Wearing:

I am comfortable wearing or nor wearing an undershirt under a shirt.

I never wear undershirt under a shirt (t-shirt) -I've seen is more common in US ,even in the summer - and I don't consider it a must for me . I use to wear it when I was a kid ,now I'm not comfortable wearing it.

I wear the compression type deep or low cut V-necks. I love these because they're extremely thin and airy and they look like your not wearing an undershirt.

Banned
    Blog Entries

You should wear and undershirt if you plan on taking off the top button of a button-down. No question.

I almost always wear some sort of undershirt. I used to wear more v-necks than I do now but I may try to re-introduce some to my rotation.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

There's a great new line of undershirts and t shirts by Mack Weldon that's worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    You should wear and undershirt if you plan on taking off the top button of a button-down. No question.
    Respectfully disagree.

Firstly, understand you're wearing two shirts. Even if it's a 'dress' shirt, it's supposed to be the actual shirt you're wearing. So if it's a question of warmth, or sweat stains, etc then it's sort of a workaround bandaid instead of solution. Shirts are made to be worn and then washed. Which is not to say I don't wear an undershirt myself sometimes but I recognize it's a little weird since it's like wearing two t-shirts. If you're cold, wear a vest, a sweater, or a sportscoat, etc. If you have armpit stains or sweat, then wear antiperspirant or cover up with a sweater, jacket, etc.

Secondly, please, for all that is good in this world, if you're wearing an undershirt, it's essentially underwear, so no crew/round neck shirts showing under your undone shirt collar spread. either wear a v-neck or something lower cut in a white or grey color, and if it's obviously seen because the shirt fabric is thin then go without the undershirt. Showing a visible white ruffled white crew neck t-shirt with white sleeves showing through the arm area is just a chump move.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Never have worn an undershirt as such and never plan to do so. I have on rare occasion worn a T-shirt under a button up shirt in much colder weather for warmth and no other reason.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Firstly, understand you're wearing two shirts. Even if it's a 'dress' shirt, it's supposed to be the actual shirt you're wearing. So if it's a question of warmth, or sweat stains, etc then it's sort of a workaround bandaid instead of solution. Shirts are made to be worn and then washed. Which is not to say I don't wear an undershirt myself sometimes but I recognize it's a little weird since it's like wearing two t-shirts. If you're cold, wear a vest, a sweater, or a sportscoat, etc. If you have armpit stains or sweat, then wear antiperspirant or cover up with a sweater, jacket, etc.

Secondly, please, for all that is good in this world, if you're wearing an undershirt, it's essentially underwear, so no crew/round neck shirts showing under your undone shirt collar spread. either wear a v-neck or something lower cut in a white or grey color, and if it's obviously seen because the shirt fabric is thin then go without the undershirt. Showing a visible white ruffled white crew neck t-shirt with white sleeves showing through the arm area is just a chump move.
    I agree. T shirts under shirts are a very immature look. Anyone that does it is not showing understanding of the rules of style. 😉

Banned
    Blog Entries

if you unbutton your polo shirt, do wear an undershirt.

I never wear undershirts. I tend to be warm as is, so wearing an extra layer would make that worse. If a dress shirt is starting to show armpit stains, it's time to replace that shirt.

Oh, and if a bit of nip shows, that's just nature. :-)
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, 1 Million Absolutely Gold, Prada Amber pour Homme DELUXE version, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

IMO an undershirt should most definitely not show, unless one is going for not very dressy look (in which case a shirt may not be the best thing to go for in the first place). Wearing it if it doesn't show is fine.

anyone that has issues with excessive sweaeting needs to look into special deadoerants for this purpose. Maxium or Certain-Dri have worked very well and have solved a few of my buddes excessive sweating problems. Both less than 10 bucks. I agree the look of a dress shirt with a visable undershirt just doesn't look right...but thats just my opinion.