Code of Conduct

Default Some Like it Dry

Good morning Basenoters!

I'm looking for suggestions for dry woody, herbal or green scents to try. Ideally I want to avoid sweetness (e.g. LDDM, while dry to me, is just too sweet).

My favorite scents are Tam Dao (although there's a sweet vanilla note I could maybe do without), CdG 2 Man and Hinoki. I'm open to try coniferous and garrigue type scents. While I like incense scents like CdG's incense series and Jubilation XXV, I'm looking for more woody/herbal scents, so if you are suggesting an incense scent, I would prefer incense/smoke blended into something else rather than a straight up incense.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 1st November 2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: For clarification.

Default Re: Some Like it Dry

F M French Lover - Green, woody and dry.
    Mona's Vetiver - Very dry vetiver, green, woody,

I like green a lot, and have a soft spot for Paco Rabanne Metal (very green dry floral). Insense' is also very dry. Unfortunately, they are both hard to find. Jacomo Silences should be a little easier to find.

Then there's the traditional Italian style herbal coniferous scents, from the cheapie Pino Silvestre to the somewhat better, but still cheap, Aramis Tuscany.

I second French lover/bois d'orage too (though the drydown is too cedary, woody-ambery to me) as well as vetivers, most of which are dry (Sycomore, Vetiver Extraordinaire etc. but avoid Vetiver tonka and Vetyverio).

cacio

A few pop into my mind instantly !
    try
    Bijan for Men
    Basile Uomo
    Krizia Uomo
    & i 2nd Pino
    though none are heavy on the incense .
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 1st November 2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: spelling error

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Thanks, keep em coming. Looks like French lover/bois d'orage is a must try. Pino...although I've never smelled it, as a child my Italian barber always had some of this available for sale.

I've got a sample of Sycomore on its way, but it looks like there may be plenty of other vetivers I haven't considered. I've also got a small decant of Dark Aoud coming.

Happy to have no incense in these suggestions - I just thought that people might suggest straight forward incense scents, which isn't really what I'm looking for (even though I love them as a genre).

Montale Wood & Spices
    Montale Santal Wood

Sycomore is the best vetiver I own, but I think the driest is the mighty Encre Noire.

That stuff is bone-dry, and is both wearable and artistic.
    It's less wearable than Sycomore, but definitely bolder and more daring.

Only vetiver lovers need to own both, though...and believe me, vetiver lovers absolutely MUST own both!

Azzaro Visit
    Dirty English
    Tommy Bahama
    For a more herbal scent, perhaps try Horizon
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

My friend you are looking for a frag by the name of Yatagan by Caron. It is the driest, woodiest, most coniferous and herbal scent ever created and is an absolute classic. No collection is complete with out it and it is most beloved by many members here on BN. Best thing about it is that you can pick up 125 mls for about 35 dollars U.S. Also if you are looking for a nice vetiver, you cant go wrong with Route du Vetiver by MPG or Encre Noir(wore this today actually). To me Sycomore's opening is too sweet, and I prefer my vetivers very sharp and earthy.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCollapse View Post
    My friend you are looking for a frag by the name of Yatagan by Caron. It is the driest, woodiest, most coniferous and herbal scent ever created and is an absolute classic. No collection is complete with out it and it is most beloved by many members here on BN.
    Already have a sample on the way

Yatagan is nice if ya wanna smell like the 1930's
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Yatagan is nice if ya wanna smell like the 1930's
    Id rather smell like something classy and elegant from the 1930's than something synthetic and generic from the 2000's

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Athunis by Sigilli. Arid cedar/vetiver.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Already have a sample on the way
    You don't need any more suggestions.

Dry, Herbal, Green and absolutely NO sweetness.

Job well and truly jobbed.

Sound Scents

Bursch by Acqua di Biella fits the bill and is an excellent one, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

I was thinking of Itasca, but I don't remember where it sits on the sweetness scale.

Sisley's Eau d'Ikar is a dry green woody scent worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Athunis by Sigilli. Arid cedar/vetiver.
    This is a good call expecially if you like no-compromise kind of fragrances. A few more you might want to check out...

Parfum D'Habit
    Berkana by Torre of Tuscany
    Ormonde Man
    Aqua Di Casta by Testa Maura
    Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    Shams by Memo
    Sous Le Vent
    Or Black
    Sombre Negra
    Exhale by Lush
    Vis Et Honour by O'Driù
    Londa 1005 by O'Driù

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

The Dryer ones in my collection are the usual suspects.

Gucci Pour Homme I
    Gucci Rush
    Tommy Bahama
    Terre d'hermes
    Givenchy Pour Homme

+ x to French Lover

and I'll throw Epic Man into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by dnc View Post

and I'll throw Epic Man into the mix.
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Azzaro Visit
    Dirty English
    Tommy Bahama
    For a more herbal scent, perhaps try Horizon
    I agree with Dirty English and Azzaro Visit, I've never tried Tommy Bahama. I'll add CdG Man 2 and Gucci PH I to the list

L'Occitane Eau de 4 Voleurs is excellent, if you can find it.

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet is another good coniferous fragrance.

You might consider Parfumerie Generale Coze. It is one of the driest scents I know, and a fairly unique one. Bordering on gourmand with chocolate, there's also a woody aspect to it.

Dune
    Agua Brava
    Francesco Smalto pH
    Eucris
    +yatagan again

edit: sotd tabarome millesime is pretty dry.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    F M French Lover - Green, woody and dry.
    Mona's Vetiver - Very dry vetiver, green, woody,
    I was going to say french lover, too.

Vetiver Extraordinaire is also a lean, dry take on vetiver. Even the citrus in the opening is sharp and dry. I'll also second recommendations of Dark Aoud, French Lover, and Gucci pour Homme (2003).

Tommy Bahama

Quote Originally Posted by dnc View Post
    + x to French Lover
    +(x+1) for French Lover

Dry woods, incense, and dried fruit....Try L'Homme Sage by Divine.

I'm on the same search - glad to see your post! Hinoki is also one of my favorites and most complimented by others (although beware of air travel with it and poor packaging construction - had learned the hard way, which kind of ruined it for me, when it leaked and seemed to permeate all the clothes in the suitcase).
    1. I second Encre Noire, which I guess would be my present signature scent.
    2. Montale's Greyland is another bone dry wood-like one.
    3. Have found Agarwood by Heeley is easier to wear than a lot of heavier Montale's.
    4. And then there's AbdesSalaam Aalacho #2, to check out too (almost a resinous/turpentine-type thing going on for me, which I like - not sure of the sillage, though).
    5. Kind of a wild care, but Durbano's Black Tourmaline is interesting, though maybe more medicinal-like.
    Last edited by Simonxyzz; 1st November 2012 at 10:34 PM.

I know you're not looking for a straight-up incense. But I have to chime in with the absolute driest scent I've worn in a while: Homme Aoud by Micallef. It isn't oud with any amber or vanilla or sweet musk. Dry, dry oud with an equally dry, spare, masculine rose note. Something to note: A friend of mine who adores Vetiver Extraordinaire for its aridity got totally hooked on the Homme Aoud. The first time I wore it around him, he sniffed the air around me like a basset hound. Next he hounded me to tell him what it was and then to obtain a bottle for him. So - it's dry all right.

Then I have to mention the great, discountinued Tenere by Paco Rabanne. How could this not be dry, given that the very name itself means "desert" in Tamasheq, the language of the Tuaregs. Tenere has a slight harshness that I find actually very pleasant. There's an ash/cinders note to it that reminds one of Czech & Speake's No.88, but there is not a sliver of that frag's Goth-ness in Tenere. Check the discounters - there are often tester bottles going for an ok price.

I get very dry notes from:

Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet
    Versace l'Homme
    Dior Escale a Portofino

+1 to many on here, including Gucci pour Homme I, Sycomore, Encre Noire, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Dark Aoud, Sombre Negra, Yatagan, Bois d'Orage/French Lover.

I would add Tom Ford Italian Cypress as well as Amouage Memoir Man.

I might also suggest L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe and Nasomatto Absinth. I don't find them particularly dry, but they are certainly green, herbal and woody.

Are you also interested in non-green dry scents? For instance, Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose is an incredibly dry rose and patchouli frag with cedar and incense.
    Last edited by hobbes22; 1st November 2012 at 07:27 PM.

Basenotes Plus

If you want straight up wood without the incense, may want to sample Wood Haven from Kerosene. I have tested it. Although I found it to be fleeting after 5-6 hours, found it to be an incredibly dry wood fragrance. I will describe it as a Winter Wood, not a rainforest wet, moldy wood.

It reminded me of the days I used to go up to the Pocono Mountains during the winter.

Notes: Bergamot, Tangy Grapefruit, Lemon, Black Pepper, Pink Peppercorns, Juniper Leaf, Ginger Root, Vetiver, Cedar and Gaiac Wood

Dependent

My main thing is dry green/herbal/wood (usually incl citrus too) scents, so here's a bunch from my wardrobe. Not a big fan of incense so don't expect much here.

Amber & Lavender - Jo Malone
    Baryshnikov Sport
    Boss Sport
    Byblos Uomo
    Citrus & Wood
    - Yardley
    Cuba Red
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Feuilles de Tabac
    - Miller Harris
    Gengis Khan - Morandiere
    Grain de Plaisir - MPG
    Halston Z-14
    Harrods Oud / HLSE
    - Bond No 9
    Infusion - Bombay Sapphire
    Equus - Lalique
    Land - Lacoste
    Lomani pH
    Maestro
    - Simon Chang
    Men Pure-formance - Aveda
    Mister - Jasper Conran
    Monsieur Leonard
    Phileas
    - Ricci
    Sud Est - Gigli
    Trefle Pur - Atelier
    Trophee - Lancome
    Tsar - VC&F
    Ungaro I
    Vetiver
    - Etro
    Vetiver Dry - Carven
    Visit - Azzaro
    Xeryus - Givenchy
    Yatagan - Caron
    Ikon - Zirh

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    This is a good call expecially if you like no-compromise kind of fragrances. A few more you might want to check out...

[
    Thanks! Knowing your love of CdG I was hoping you'd have some suggestions. I am interested in non-compromise, bone-dry fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post

Are you also interested in non-green dry scents? For instance, Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose is an incredibly dry rose and patchouli frag with cedar and incense.
    Definitely. I find the idea of a dry rose intriguing. I'm still very much a newb, so I've never encountered a dry floral. I've tried and love the lush green/rose scent that is L'Ombre dans L'Eau, so I'd love to sample the opposite, dry end of that spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    My main thing is dry green/herbal/wood (usually incl citrus too) scents, so here's a bunch from my wardrobe. Not a big fan of incense so don't expect much here.
    Thanks! I followed your thread where you were looking for dry, green animalic scents. It was a great read. thanks for sharing some of your discoveries here. While I love incense, I'm looking more for no-compromise bone dry woody and herbal scents.

And thanks to everyone else I haven't quoted/mentioned by name. You've given me a great range of scents I would never have even thought to look at, ranging from good cheap scents through to hard to obtain niche. This is going to take me a while to try and get round to sampling them all.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Dirty English
    Tommy Bahama

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

For something dry I would fallback on one of my favorites, Guerlain Vetiver Extreme. Extreme has better longevity and projection. It starts out sharp and citrusy and moves into a woody earth note of vetiver. You can find it on Amazon easily for around $50-$60.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Ambre Sultan
    Encre Noire
    Dirty English
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

French Lover is what you need.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm surprised no one has suggested CDG Wonderwood...it's quite dry to my nose, and being that you like 2 Man and Hinoki, I would think that Wonderwood would be a good one for you. Have you tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    I'm surprised no one has suggested CDG Wonderwood...it's quite dry to my nose, and being that you like 2 Man and Hinoki, I would think that Wonderwood would be a good one for you. Have you tried it?
    I've tried it and find it strangely sweet. I get a gourmandy vibe (the nutmeg makes me think of pie or custard tarts...) and something fecal or barnyardy (the oud accord?) which creates a fascinating tension/contradiction that I don't mind smelling on paper, but drives me mad when I try to wear it. I will revisit again in the future to see if my nose stops focusing on these two points.

Banned

Try:

Granville by Christian Dior - One is initially treated to a zesty, citric accord. Tangy lemon and orangey mandarin interplay with pungent, savory thyme. This burst of briskness transitions to the heart. Here, the invigorating opening is enveloped by camphoraceous rosemary, with its green, menthol aspect. And, a chaparral, some might say garrigue, aura, with its motley assemblage of sagebrush, cypress, juniper and sage, infuses its pungently aromatic and slightly foul, skunk-like aspect. A whisper of resinous pine flutters about. Segueing to the enhancing base, lively black pepper, with its tingling, woody spiciness, commingles with a smooth sandalwood and a dank, earthy, oakmoss. A stock drydown ensues. It definitely leans to the masculine side, and has average projection and longevity.

You might enjoy it; however, I found the composition stale.

Moreover, relative to French Lover/Bois d'Orage by Frederic Malle, albeit a high-quality composition, at its price point one would expect something extraordinary, which it is not. It merely joins others in its genre, and is pedestrian.

&

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Sycomore is the best vetiver I own, but I think the driest is the mighty Encre Noire.
    +1 for Encre Noire-- dry, earthy, woody

- Encre Noire +1 for a dry woody vetiver

To add: two very dry woody fragrances:

- Roger & Gallet: Open (woody aromatic)
    - Jil sander for man (1998) (woody spicy)
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

You might check out some Slumberhouse scents as well (although I haven't) - Norne or Vikt, among a few others. Sounds like it could be the resinous/coniferous thing you were interested in (though don't know their dryness level). Let us know what you find!
    http://slumberhou.se/

- - - Updated - - -

Stumbled upon another thread that that might be worth exploring for you with O'Driù.
    O'Driù brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obsessions):
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289699-O-Driù-brings-Niche-back-to-its-place-(Olfactive-Obsessions)
    Not quite sure of their dryness, but some may work. Unfortunately, mucho $$$$.
    One member described LINFEDELE 1003: "To me, the heart of this fragrance is camphoraceous, piney, minty, herbal with a cold character." Sounds quite interesting to me! Since I'm on the same search, please check back on 'the dry one' and let us know what you discover - will stay tuned!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Simonxyzz View Post
    One member described LINFEDELE 1003: "To me, the heart of this fragrance is camphoraceous, piney, minty, herbal with a cold character." Sounds quite interesting to me!
    My favorite of the line.

Halston Z-14. Dry, woody and cheap to boot.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Azzaro pour Homme
    Polo
    Grey Flannel
    Pino Silvestre
    G11 (Il Profumo)
    Or Black

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Halston Z-14. Dry, woody and cheap to boot.
    Vintage pre-2011 (with oakmoss listed on the box) only on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Simonxyzz View Post
    You might check out some Slumberhouse scents as well (although I haven't) - Norne or Vikt, among a few others. Sounds like it could be the resinous/coniferous thing you were interested in (though don't know their dryness level). Let us know what you find!
    http://slumberhou.se/

- - - Updated - - -

One member described LINFEDELE 1003: "To me, the heart of this fragrance is camphoraceous, piney, minty, herbal with a cold character." Sounds quite interesting to me!
    Thanks! I don't know about how dry it is, but I have a sample of Norne on the way. I may have to sample the whole line.
    The O'Driù sounds fascinating, but I tried to avoid reading that thread too closely once I saw the prices of some of them.

Basenotes Plus

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens
    Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeurs
    Chilum by La Via del Profumo

Or Black!

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Or Black!
    Oooh, not the direction I was looking in, but now that I've checked out the description I want to try it.

Another one for French Lover

+

Dirty

+

Geranium

+

Visit

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Try:

Granville by Christian Dior
    I agree!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle